Most disappointing game of 2012

Tired of talking about video games? In here you can talk up ANYTHING else going on in the world or beyond...

Re: Most disappointing game of 2012

Postby gtt » 19 Dec 2012 23:42

nGen wrote:
MegaShock100 wrote:Sticker Star. What an awful game. To me it's the Mario equivalent of Other M, and I've already mentally retconned its story.

Turner4590 wrote:Paper Mario Sticker Star. Years of hype and that's what we get.

Here's hoping Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon doesn't have the same outcome.

Maybe it's because I didn't play the first two Paper Marios, but I throughly enjoyed Sticker Star. Not as an RPG (because it's an awful RPG) but as an adventure game. It was a really good adventure game.

go play super mario rpg and then paper mario 64 and get mad at wasted potential.

Nintendo will probably never do another proper mario rpg game again.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby mock turtle » 20 Dec 2012 01:46

Despite having played a bunch of games this year, the only ones I played that were actually released this year were Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U, the latter of which I'm playing now. It's not exactly living up to my expectations.
mock turtle
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby Battlestriker123 » 20 Dec 2012 01:49

nGen wrote:
MegaShock100 wrote:Sticker Star. What an awful game. To me it's the Mario equivalent of Other M, and I've already mentally retconned its story.

Turner4590 wrote:Paper Mario Sticker Star. Years of hype and that's what we get.

Maybe it's because I didn't play the first two Paper Marios, but I throughly enjoyed Sticker Star. Not as an RPG (because it's an awful RPG) but as an adventure game. It was a really good adventure game.

Don't worry man. I played through TTYD and it's one of my favorite games of all time, but I still thought Sticker Star was quite good. It had its share of problems, yes, but I still recommend it to any fan of Paper Mario.
Favorite Game: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
Just Finished: Blackwell Deception (PC)
Now Playing: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (3DS)
Follow me on MyIGN! http://people.ign.com/battlestriker123
Battlestriker123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Battlestriker123
3DS: 3539-8800-5372
Steam ID: Battlestriker123

Postby nGen » 20 Dec 2012 21:29

gtt wrote:
nGen wrote:

go play super mario rpg and then paper mario 64 and get mad at wasted potential.

Nintendo will probably never do another proper mario rpg game again.

I've played SMRPG and I highly doubt that I'll get "mad" at "wasted potential" when I boot up my VC copy of Paper Mario.
Any objections lady?
nGen
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

3DS: 1633-4277-3240
Wii: 8216060320213884

Postby Hamr » 20 Dec 2012 22:06

Hmm, tough question. Most of this year's games looked thoroughly underwhelming, so it was hard to be disappointed.

Oh, wait. Last Story came out this year?

Then Last Story, easily.

That game was atrocious.
Hamr
Boo
Boo

Postby gtt » 20 Dec 2012 22:15

nGen wrote:
I've played SMRPG and I highly doubt that I'll get "mad" at "wasted potential" when I boot up my VC copy of Paper Mario.

I meant going from those games to sticker star. I can see how that isn't clear.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby MegaShock100 » 20 Dec 2012 22:57

Hamr wrote:Hmm, tough question. Most of this year's games looked thoroughly underwhelming, so it was hard to be disappointed.

Then Last Story, easily.

That game was atrocious.

Technical issues aside, what was so bad about it? I've mostly heard it's not as good as it could have been, but this is first time I hear someone call it so harshly.
MegaShock100
Metool
Metool

Postby SgtFly » 21 Dec 2012 00:35

The only real problem I had with The Last Story was how one-dimensional the level design was.

Otherwise I don't understand how the game was disappointing in the slightest, its story and battle system are both much better than those of Xenoblade. It does a much better job of making each battle seem like an event and not a tedious encounter you have to drone through, and the story plays out very poetically.
SgtFly
Flicky
Flicky

Postby GiriOni » 21 Dec 2012 01:14

Xenoblade for me. I liked everything about the game except the combat. I cannot stand the combat. I would rather it be a straight DQ style RPG or a full on hack-and-slash. Other than that it was great.

Overall it's been a pretty good year for me game wise.
I mean, Zero Escape, and Persona 4 Golden made the year brilliant, every other game just added to the awesomeness.
Favorite all time Anime: To Aru Majutsu no Index
Runner-up: Bakemonogatari
GiriOni
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: GiriOni

Postby TheLastBlade » 21 Dec 2012 01:43

On the subject on the Last Story, I had fun with it. Could've been better, but never worse.

It's made by the guy who created all those terrible final fantasy games (5 was his last I think); so it's a shock to see it was a fun experience.

Still have yet to finish Xenoblade. Gonna have to reset my save file and think of better strategies.
It's my stage now!
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

Postby Hamr » 21 Dec 2012 05:01

MegaShock100 wrote:
Hamr wrote:Hmm, tough question. Most of this year's games looked thoroughly underwhelming, so it was hard to be disappointed.

Then Last Story, easily.

That game was atrocious.

Technical issues aside, what was so bad about it? I've mostly heard it's not as good as it could have been, but this is first time I hear someone call it so harshly.

It tries to be a dozen different kinds of games, and it fails at virtually all of them.

It tries to be part Gears-esque cover-based shooter, but outside of a few context-sensitive areas, shooting is awkward and enemies take about a thousand hits from your bow and arrow to actually die.

It tries to be your typical deep hack-and-slash action game, but it implements the shallow Zelda school of game design where defeating enemies is less about skill and more about solving ‘puzzles’.

It tries to be a game built around careful and thoughtful strategy, except what little ‘strategy’ exists is frequently ruined by the fact that your party basically Omachaos every single encounter.

'Zael! Use your stealth to waste that guy!'

'Zael! That guy is standing under a boulder that you can dislodge with your bow OR by having me magic things up!'

'Zael! That guy is invincible! Let's run away until he is not invincible!'

'Zael! That guy stopped being invincible! Let's attack him!'

'Zael! Don't let that guy who is regenerating his health regenerate his health!'

‘Zael! Gather aggro so we can spam magic! Then diffuse it!’

It tries to be a game with actual challenge, but most of the difficulty is in figuring out the above completely obvious actions. Aside from that, each character in your party can be killed five times -- and I do not just mean five times in the game, or five times in an individual level, I mean five times per fight, as the lives regenerate after every encounter. A character dies? Who cares, just wait and they will be up on their feet with full health (or you can go over and resurrect them yourself if waiting a few seconds is too much of an inconvenience for you). If they run out of lives, well, they will be up and at ‘em again just as soon as the fight ends.

It tries to be a stat-based game, but you only really have two customizable stats rendering equipment functionally pointless save for how it looks, in 99% of encounters you do not even have the option of switching out your party members, and the strict linear progression (you get like half-a-dozen optional chapters) and unnecessary grinding circles means that the choice you have in most encounters is either going in over-leveled… or going in really over-leveled.

It tries to be a deep and moving cinematic experience, but the story is embarrassing: in turns hilariously predictable and totally ridiculous. End-game spoilers.

Spoiler:
Predictable: When person A cuts you off in your attempts to reach person B, tells you “I’ll go ahead to protect person B!”, takes the only route to person B, and then you follow them five seconds later only to find person B alone and mortally wounded (having not seen his attacker, and with no person A in sight), then you should have a fairly decent idea of who killed person B. When you later find out that person A planted evidence in order to frame person C for the murder, then that should raise certain red flags. When person A keeps randomly going missing for long periods of time, and you find out that there is a mole who is collaborating with the enemy, then just maybe you should be even a little bit suspicious that person A might be a badguy instead of continuing to trust them 100%.

Actually, I think I am starting to understand why in battles the other characters treat Zael like an imbecile: He is one.

Ridiculous: There is a giant magical cannon that is powered by a half of this giant lumpy boulder from space, which powers itself by sucking the life from the planet. And the boulder is alive (and can turn into a dragon), and the thing it wants most in the world is to be reunited with its other half. Except the other half of living space rock (which has its own separate conscienceness for some reason) is *also* powering a giant magical cannon, except controlled by Ganondorf.

And the only way to reunite the one rock with its rock wife (or rock husband or... whatever it is that rocks have when you split them in half) is for this pair of ancient lovers' descendants (who coincidentally know each other and coincidentally also happen to be in love) to stand next to each other and sing a song so that the two rocks can be one rock together again and return to space.

This is all played completely straight, btw.

The only thing the game involves any depth in and actually *works at* is the extent to which you can customize your characters’ appearances. You have hundreds and hundreds of clothing options that you can fiddle with down to individual limbs, colors, and accessories to make your party as fashionable in cutscenes as possible. (Congratulations are in order for the Gooch creating the world’s most expensive Barbie doll simulator. :-/ )

Comedic results frequently ensue, like in one scene where characters lock swords and hold them close to each other’s face, but the blade Zael was using was so large that it wound up clipping through the other guy’s head as the two continued to converse normally.

And all of that is wrapped up in a godawful framerate, ugly textures, poorly recycled bosses, a bland color palette with way too much bloom, cutscenes that take forever to fast-forward through because you cannot skip them outright, and a phoned-in soundtrack from Uematsu. Just an ugh game all around.
Hamr
Boo
Boo

Postby MoldyClay » 22 Dec 2012 20:10

gtt wrote:
nGen wrote:

I meant going from those games to sticker star. I can see how that isn't clear.

I think the point is that Paper Mario only had two games that were RPGs, and two that really aren't and are more experimental.

I haven't played Sticker Star yet, and sure, I'm sad that it's missing elements from the previous games, but I could imagine still enjoying it as a game, just not as an RPG, which is easy to do if you don't let ridiculous expectations bog you down.

I learned after some years ago to just let go expectations and experience each game as their own thing. I'd be fine if every Paper Mario game was experimental. There's no "MUST BE AN RPG" rule. They should just bring Mario & Luigi back as the RPG series and let Paper Mario be its own thing.

When I think of Paper Mario, I think of Mario in a paper world with zany effects and a fun adventure (in fact, I never was a huge fan of it being an RPG, though I love the set up with the QTE attacks). I play other games for being RPGs.

Ohhhhhh man. Not that can of worms. Words.
MoldyClay
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Previous

Return to Random Discussions