How much do you save in a game?

Home of Zidane's (and others') weekly polls, games and other interactive content.

Answer nao!

Every time I do something important.
45%
The game does it for me.
2%
What!? There's a save option!?
No votes
*1 second* *save* *1 second* *save*
33%
Every time I remember
19%
Pfft, kids these days, I don't save, I play it all in one go!
No votes

Total votes : 42

How much do you save in a game?

Postby led-naruto » 17 Jan 2013 20:50

I know there are a lot of different ways to overwrite a game file, so don't take it too seriously, it's just for entertainment.
Mirror and Soul
led-naruto
Boo
Boo

Re: How much do you save in a game?

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 17 Jan 2013 22:06

Everytime I'm done doing something important. :P
Innovation is a funny thing in gaming... Do too much and you alienate fans of the genre, but don't do enough and you're blamed for making the same ol' game.Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
Wii: 3983-9278-9384-2345
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 17 Jan 2013 22:22

Everytime I do something important (i.e. defeat a boss, catch a legendary/shiny Pokémon, beat a very hard stage, etc.)
Top 10 SSB4 wishlist: Little Mac, Lip, King K. Rool, Pac-Man, Isaac, Alice, Bomberman, Satoru, Wonder Red, Chase McCain (yes, I'm serious)
HammerGalladeBro
Boo
Boo

NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Postby Mako » 18 Jan 2013 00:17

If the game doesn't save automatically I end up doing it much more often than I need to.

Of course, I am glad some games don't have auto save. Like Pokemon for example. Could you imagine if it saved after you failed catching a legendary Pokemon, or lost at the last trainer in the elite 4? lol
Mako
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: Mako91
3DS: 4167-4543-6089
Wii: 0725-3780-1331-9030
PSN: yugoboy91

Postby the_nintendo_screw » 18 Jan 2013 01:04

It depends how the saves are set up in the game. In Zelda OoT, everytime I would exit from the menu I would save my game. It was easy to do since it only took a few button clicks and the time to save the game was pretty fast. So in games that have a save system like this, I chose to vote for the "save/second/save" option. However, in games where there are points set up in the game to save, like the bird statues in Skyward Sword, I would save less frequently. In Majora's Mask I save the game even less frequently than in games that have save points because of the obvious reason that time resets.
MasterofMonsters is super awesome! I lost a bet. Hehe!
the_nintendo_screw
Octorok
Octorok

3DS: 2062 9226 9407
Wii: 0688 2898 9694 3464

Postby MoldyClay » 18 Jan 2013 05:40

It depends on the game and how saves work. It also depends on other factors.

For example, today I was playing Eternal Sonata and it kept crashing on me for some reason, so I began saving constantly, even if I didn't do much, just so I lost -no- progress.

Ocarina of Time on N64, I would save every time I left the menu. OoT3D, I saved only when I was done playing.

Pokemon I save at major points (before an important fight, before and after a legendary, during the Elite 4, after catching a few things or getting something important).

RE5/6 are automatic, but RE4 I saved at every typewriter. Earlier RE games depended. When I first played them, I would save as often as possible within reason (thinking ahead, due to ink ribbons). On replays it got less and less, only when necessary. Sometimes I just wouldn't save at all through the whole game unless I had to stop.

Majora's Mask I only saved when I went back in time. I think I've only done the mid-save like 4 times in my life.

Xenoblade I save if I did a bunch of stuff or enter a new area. Not that I need to worry about it, since you just pop back up and keep going, but I still like saving about as much as I would if there were normal save points.

So it varies on a game-to-game basis.

If a game has save points, I will save at all of them. If a game has you save manually from a menu, I will save whenever I think it's a good time to do so. If it saves automatically, I obviously do nothing.
MoldyClay
Plumber
Plumber

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby CM30 » 18 Jan 2013 15:45

Every time I do something important, at least where I can choose when to save (like in Zelda or Pokemon). So whenever I beat a dungeon or get past a tricky room, mini boss or boss in the former, or before and after catching rare Pokemon in the latter I save the game.

As well as whenever I beat a gym or the elite four of course.

In games with save states though, I have a tendency to spam them to death, probably out of paranoid fear I'll screw up something. Probably need to stop using so many save states and rewinds when playing a game in an emulator.
Nintendo 3DS Community, a Nintendo 3DS forum

Die hard Mario fan, writer for various Nintendo sites and person whose probably played the most Wario Land 4.
CM30
Metool
Metool

3DS: 4983-5165-4189

Postby ddddd » 18 Jan 2013 17:52

I have very few games where the saving is automatic, but on the ones its not... Only in my first walkthrough though:

Metroid Prime, I remember saving right before Omega Pirate... only to go to his room, scan him, and go back to save again (still before fighting him) :lol:
This was because earlier I didnt find the first save station in Phazon mines, and I got killed before I could get to the second one. So I got a little paranoid then.

In Eternal Darkness, similar situation. Amazingly, I got killed in the first level :shock: and I didnt know I had to do manual saves. Once again, because of that and other careless deaths, I got paranoid and saved frantically (I'd save right after getting a spell power, and again after upgrading all spells mere minutes after)
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby bellboy » 18 Jan 2013 18:32

Depends on the game, difficulty etc. Like say I'm about to face a difficult portion and I'm preparing I'd likely save constantly till I take the plunge. But generally manually save often as I can.
But I've gotten so used to auto-saves now it's a killer when I go back to games that don't have it as sometimes I'll do something stupid and not realise my folly untill I'm having re-tread half an hour's worth of work.
EDIT:
MoldyClay wrote:Majora's Mask I only saved when I went back in time. I think I've only done the mid-save like 4 times in my life.

Hear hear!I love that game so much I often never save as much as I used to. I'd make the most out of the 3 days. (You'd be surprised how much you can get done in that time when you know what you're doing) I just played it again recently. Bought on VC which I'm glad I did. Looks more natural than it did on the Collector's Edition but I digress.
I'm in a routine now where everytime I go to the new area I can knock out most of it within the time frame. I.e, Enter and beat Woodfall Temple within the day, get the Spin Attack upgrade, get the Mask of Scents and the Witch's target minigame and then using the extra time to get started on Snowhead so I can be ready to enter the temple on a new cycle*.
My time away from it showed however. I nearly died at Odolwa and I hadn't picked up a fairy which is super-embarassing to admit and of course I couldn't have saved without losing my stuff. (To be fair I'd never used the Classic Controller on that game before (that button placement, man) and I ran out of arrows, wuss kept blocking...)

*Gotta get that Gilded Sword ASAP, right?
bellboy
Metool
Metool

NN ID: bellboy64
XBL: Madaman64

Postby MoldyClay » 19 Jan 2013 05:21

bellboy wrote:
MoldyClay wrote:Majora's Mask I only saved when I went back in time. I think I've only done the mid-save like 4 times in my life.

Hear hear!I love that game so much I often never save as much as I used to. I'd make the most out of the 3 days. (You'd be surprised how much you can get done in that time when you know what you're doing) I just played it again recently. Bought on VC which I'm glad I did. Looks more natural than it did on the Collector's Edition but I digress.
I'm in a routine now where everytime I go to the new area I can knock out most of it within the time frame. I.e, Enter and beat Woodfall Temple within the day, get the Spin Attack upgrade, get the Mask of Scents and the Witch's target minigame and then using the extra time to get started on Snowhead so I can be ready to enter the temple on a new cycle*.
My time away from it showed however. I nearly died at Odolwa and I hadn't picked up a fairy which is super-embarassing to admit and of course I couldn't have saved without losing my stuff. (To be fair I'd never used the Classic Controller on that game before (that button placement, man) and I ran out of arrows, wuss kept blocking...)

*Gotta get that Gilded Sword ASAP, right?

This is my life in MM replays.

I literally try to do as much crap as possible in the 3 days. This includes finishing all kinds of crap in Clock Town before even setting out on an adventure, as well as making sure I have all possible items and upgrades as soon as possible. I believe there are also times where I would try to knock out as many things as I could *while* waiting for the Gilded Sword. New 3-days, Song of Inverted Time, grab Rupees, buy a Powder Keg, immediately warp to Snowhead, kill Goht, Goron Race, Razor Sword. Then I'd fly off to a town and do any non-combat related sidequests, such as everything at Romani Ranch, picking up Razor Sword/giving it back so I can get Gilded Sword, getting the Zora Mask/doing Great Bay stuff and then doing the Milk Bar stuff that evening. Then on the final day I have my Gilded Sword, run off to Great Bay and complete the Pirate Fortress.

That game taught me to appreciate time management in games (like Pikmin, Dead Rising, etc) and whatever. Such a great game, and so cool that it can essentially be played in any way you want to with the lack of complete linearity.
MoldyClay
Plumber
Plumber

Postby Carbondog » 19 Jan 2013 12:21

For me I usually save often just because I have had days where I was playing hours and hours without saving just to have a power outage or run into that one enemy that takes you out with one or two hits just to end up where I started. Nothing worse than having that happen!
Carbondog
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: Carbondog
3DS: 3179-6063-7018
Wii: 6339-9624-3474-8158
PSN: Nintenpx
XBL: DeftCarbondog

Postby MoldyClay » 20 Jan 2013 03:23

Carbondog wrote:For me I usually save often just because I have had days where I was playing hours and hours without saving just to have a power outage or run into that one enemy that takes you out with one or two hits just to end up where I started. Nothing worse than having that happen!

The worst part is when it is something you can't do anything about.

I hadn't played F-ZERO GX in years, popped it in one day a year ago to play. Can't progress in the story because I need to 'buy' the next chapter or whatever the hell that nonsense was. Was doing really well in a race and the power went out for 3 days. Discouraged me and haven't played since again.
MoldyClay
Plumber
Plumber

Postby GiriOni » 20 Jan 2013 12:13

I have a very bad history with games, I live in a place where 2 feet + of snow might occur at any moment and knock out power, or any other combination of bad weather. So I don't think I need to say that most games have me saving every other second, and games with save points give me super intense anxiety.
Favorite all time Anime: To Aru Majutsu no Index
Runner-up: Bakemonogatari
GiriOni
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: GiriOni

Postby Jirachi » 20 Jan 2013 12:20

I save all the time because to me saving has nothing to do with difficulty it just allows games to be longer.
My favorite zelda game is Twilight Princess and Jirachi is my favorite pokemon <3 skype:SSBBKING

Jirachi
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: Jirachifan
3DS: 1848-1701-2271
Wii: 5376-4745-6865-7604
PSN: TCDFTW
XBL: N and 360 fan

Postby MegaMan64 » 20 Jan 2013 13:34

It depends on the game. Like KH:DDD, of course i would save every time i was able to. But for games like Uncharted 3 which autosaves, for some reason i just save after that autosave. IDK why. It must be a bad habit.

Feel free to add me on your 3DS. PM me if u do. Also got a Wii U now, so add me as well and PM me!
MegaMan64
Metool
Metool

NN ID: Nerps64
3DS: 4596-9581-6101
Steam ID: SuperObjection64
PSN: SuperSpy12

Postby thresholdXCI » 24 Jan 2013 17:22

As a few others have said it really depends on the game. I'm saving a lot in Dishonored at the moment just so if I end up making a terrible mistake by going a certain way I can pick and choose where I can go back to to try something else.

Pokemon was one I was really bad for forgetting to save. Just because when you die you don't lose any progress and on portables there was never much risk of a random power cut. So I'd only save on quitting. There were a few times when I'd go to the pokemon centre before finishing and, on my kind of gamer auto-pilot, just turn the game off as soon as that dialogue finished before remembering to save. Many hours lost doing that.
thresholdXCI
Site Mod
Site Mod

Wii: 4073 2409 9869 0324
PSN: jw_XCI

Postby GentlmanSoup » 31 Jan 2013 18:10

I think i need to rethink what I call important in a game... I almost save after every enemy in games like Xenoblade. But thats more because it's so incredibly easy! That said, i would love more dark souls/ZombiU save-styles. Forcing me to accept the errors and learn from them!
hi i like geyms
GentlmanSoup
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: GentlemanSoup
XBL: GentlemanSoup

Postby GeneticRepoMan » 31 Jan 2013 18:54

I voted every time I remember :P.

I recently played through Mass Effect 3 on PS3, which is a VERY glitchy game, unfortunately I didn't remember to save all the time, but I think that was mostly due to the auto save back up which usually saved right before it hard froze.

But then in some games like Xenoblade I saved all the time because it was so easy and convenient.

In games like RPGs I do try to save often though, those are the worst types of games to go a long time without saving and then losing your progress.
If you add me on any platform, shoot me a PM and let me know!
GeneticRepoMan
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: GeneticRepoMan
3DS: 3952-7010-8227
PSN: darkfire0

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 18 Feb 2013 19:36

It's really frustating when you do a lot of progress and then, you turn off the system without saving, I'd like if the game remembered me to save, like Tails in Sonic Chronicles, and I'm wondering, are there more games that remind you to save?
HammerGalladeBro
Boo
Boo

NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Postby Zanreo » 09 Mar 2013 09:42

For games with save points, I save every time I come across one.

For games where you can save when you want, like Pokémon, I save after I do something inportant... or before (like before fighting a legendary Pokémon, if I fail I just turn off without saving and try again)

For autosaves, well the game does it for me of course.

It really depends on the game, but for games where you have to save yourself I generally save a lot. (Also I tend to abuse save states quite a bit when using emulators... ehehe)
Last edited by Zanreo on 17 Apr 2013 06:47, edited 1 time in total.
Zanreo
Metool
Metool

NN ID: Zanreo
3DS: 4167-5254-5483
Steam ID: Zanreo
PSN: Zanreo

Postby SebaZava » 10 Apr 2013 00:12

I guess I'm a little... obsessive, when it comes to saving. So yeah, every time I do something important. Or sometimes every time I do... something. It depends on the game, I guess. But when it comes to games with save points, I always use them.
Proud owner of every Nintendo console (except the Virtual Boy because... meh).
www.sebastianzavala.com
SebaZava
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Mini Dude » 23 Sep 2013 18:23

I don't know why but I do this weird thing where I do things over and over again for no reason. Like when watching a video on my iPod Touch I'll tap it to check the battery or time and then I'll do it again and again and again, I do it like non stop too. Tap, screen go dark, tap again, etc.. So when I'm playing a game I save a loooot. It's even worse on Virtual Console, those save states are a blessing and a curse.
SSB4 Top 5 New Characters
5. Harvest Moon Avatar (Preferably A Wonderful Life)
4. Lyn
3. Tetra
2. Skull Kid (Update: Dang it he's an assist trophy)
1. Dillion
Mini Dude
Goomba
Goomba

3DS: 4468-1176-3804

Postby BlueBerryShadow » 28 Sep 2013 00:53

I save each time I remember, as well as each time I complete something hard... Or if I am getting ready to do something hard. Pretty much, whenever I remember, and whenever I am doing something I think I might die while doing it. :P
BlueBerryShadow
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: BlueBerryShadow

Postby SDDMN » 07 Nov 2013 17:51

Let's just say I'm one of those people who saves a second time because he forgets he saved ten seconds ago.
SDDMN
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: SDDMN25
3DS: 4596-9457-8127

Postby blade_master » 07 Nov 2013 21:29

^ Thats me too. I always save after something big then forget.
blade_master
Octorok
Octorok

Next

Return to Polls & Interactive Threads