Retro Studios New Game

Home of Zidane's (and others') weekly polls, games and other interactive content.

What do you think Retro Studios is developing right now?

Metroid Prime 4
8
10%
Donkey Kong Country Returns 2
8
10%
F-Zero
1
1%
Star Fox
29
35%
Zelda
0
No votes
A new game from an already established franchise
12
14%
A new I.P.
24
29%
I don't care, Retro's overrrated
2
2%
 
Total votes : 84

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 24 Jun 2012 14:42

pokemaster515 wrote:OK I'll say it because no one else will, Retro is the most overrated developer Nintendo has.

Someone already said it but in the form of a vote. XD
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
User avatar
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker
 
Posts: 1152
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 01:10
Location: The World Beyond This And That
NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby Broken_Cartridge » 24 Jun 2012 15:09

pokemaster515 wrote:OK I'll say it because no one else will, Retro is the most overrated developer Nintendo has. How many games have they made anyways? 4? Not that they are bad developers but really they are all people seem to talk about.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think that Retro is overrated. People just talk about them a lot because of the previous work that they've done. The Prime series took Metroid and put a new spin on it (which, before Prime, it had been a long time since we received a Metroid title. It was new and refreshing), and Country Returns took Donkey Kong and gave us the classic side scrolling type game that hasn't been seen since SNES days. I don't take people's anticipation for Retro's next project to be "THEY ARE THE MOST BESTEST STUDIO EVAR", but more so a "what will they do next?" coming from fans that liked what they did to Metroid and Donkey Kong and are curious if they'll take another beloved Nintendo franchise.

But to each their own. Like I said, I understand how they can seem overrated.
User avatar
Broken_Cartridge
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 626
Joined: 22 Oct 2010 08:13
NN ID: Broken_Cartridge
PSN: Stephen5543

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby Zug Zug » 24 Jun 2012 15:40

pokemaster515 wrote:OK I'll say it because no one else will, Retro is the most overrated developer Nintendo has. How many games have they made anyways? 4? Not that they are bad developers but really they are all people seem to talk about.


The hilarious thing is that most people think they just plopped out the Prime games on their own.
Nintendo gives heavy input on all the games Retro makes, I remember reading a post on neogaf about this the other day.
One of the designers of the original Prime said how it was frustrating to work on the game because Shiggy would discard so many ideas. Retro have the same relationship with Nintendo that Rare had during the 90s. There's talent there but without proper steering and quality control from a more experienced entity, Retro would be in the same spot Rare is nowadays.
Being shovel.
User avatar
Zug Zug
Shyguy
Shyguy
 
Posts: 112
Joined: 11 Sep 2011 13:21
Location: Rijeka

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby Broken_Cartridge » 24 Jun 2012 15:56

Zug Zug wrote:
pokemaster515 wrote:OK I'll say it because no one else will, Retro is the most overrated developer Nintendo has. How many games have they made anyways? 4? Not that they are bad developers but really they are all people seem to talk about.


The hilarious thing is that most people think they just plopped out the Prime games on their own.
Nintendo gives heavy input on all the games Retro makes, I remember reading a post on neogaf about this the other day.
One of the designers of the original Prime said how it was frustrating to work on the game because Shiggy would discard so many ideas. Retro have the same relationship with Nintendo that Rare had during the 90s. There's talent there but without proper steering and quality control from a more experienced entity, Retro would be in the same spot Rare is nowadays.
Being shovel.

Nintendo had input for Rare, but not as much as everybody makes it out to seem. If you think the reason why they suck now is because they don't have Nintendo's direction, then you don't know the story behind Rare. The reason why Rare sucks now is because of Rare studios and Rare studios alone. In the spoiler tag I'll link to the "All Your History" special about Rare. It's got a lot of parts, but it's pretty informative and worth the watch.

Spoiler:


And no I'm not down playing your point on Retro having heavy direction by Nintendo, because they do. I just wanted to point out that Rare and Retro are not as similar as everybody makes them out to be.
User avatar
Broken_Cartridge
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 626
Joined: 22 Oct 2010 08:13
NN ID: Broken_Cartridge
PSN: Stephen5543

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby led-naruto » 24 Jun 2012 19:07

^ Now that makes me curious as to what the Stamper Brothers have been doing recently...

Regardless, I agree in the statement that Retro and Rare are different and have gone through different ways.
Mirror and Soul
Image
User avatar
led-naruto
Toad
Toad
 
Posts: 785
Joined: 19 Feb 2012 04:27

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby Tingle » 24 Jun 2012 23:47

I hope it's a new I.P. but it will probably be a game from an established franchise. Zelda and F-Zero are unlikely. I think it will be either DK or Star Fox. If they are working on Metroid it would probably come after their next game.
Tingle, Tingle, Kooloo-Limpah!
Image
User avatar
Tingle
Shyguy
Shyguy
 
Posts: 146
Joined: 25 Aug 2011 01:46
Location: Tingle Island
Wii: 0479 5174 4230 5861

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 04 Jul 2012 21:48

I don't know if this is true, correct me if I'm wrong, but, didn't the designers of NFL Retro Football (when it was still in development) wanted to make a Mario Football game? If that's true I would love if Nintendo let them make it.
Image
Random, useless Trivia: The Wii U GamePad fits in a big pocket, do I recommend you to do so? NO!
User avatar
HammerGalladeBro
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: 27 Apr 2012 18:46
Location: Saltillo, Coah, Mexico
NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Steam ID: HammerGalladeBro
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby ClaudeLv250 » 05 Jul 2012 05:36

Really hope it's a new IP. Or maybe a Ravenblade revival.
User avatar
ClaudeLv250
Chocobo
Chocobo
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 01 Dec 2010 14:52
Location: Centropolis
Steam ID: Jamjohnx3
Wii: 8319 5826 5461 1313
PSN: ClaudeLv250
XBL: ClaudeLv250

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby thresholdXCI » 05 Jul 2012 10:27

I'd like a new IP. Those are always exciting. But if they announced a new F-Zero I'd be pretty stoked about that too.
User avatar
thresholdXCI
Site Mod
Site Mod
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: 23 Mar 2008 16:04
Location: England
Wii: 4073 2409 9869 0324
PSN: jw_XCI

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby AadmM » 05 Jul 2012 11:15

luigi_owns wrote:I'm gonna go on a limb here, and say... SEQUEL TO DONKEY KONG 64. you heard it here first


Not if Camelot has anything to say about it :P

It's probably Star Fox. But it needs to be either F-Zero or even better, a new IP.
User avatar
AadmM
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
 
Posts: 437
Joined: 03 May 2012 11:55
Location: The Year 199X
NN ID: atombeany
3DS: 2019-9824-4588

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby CM30 » 05 Jul 2012 12:36

I'd want them to be developing either a second Donkey Kong Country game or a new IP. Not sure I particularly trust them making a Legend of Zelda title (some of their decisions taken with Donkey Kong Country Returns make me worry something important to the series would be lost), they've already made enough Metroid games for a while and I'm not sure I'd be too interested in seeing a Retro Studios made Star Fox title.
Nintendo 3DS Community, a Nintendo 3DS forum

Die hard Mario fan, writer for various Nintendo sites and person whose probably played the most Wario Land 4.
User avatar
CM30
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 14 Jun 2012 15:54
Location: UK
3DS: 4983-5165-4189

Retro Studios speculation

Postby ZeldaPrime » 08 Nov 2012 14:20

Place bets(for Internet cookies) on what Retro is making. My money is on a Metroid game. In the Metroid Prime Trilogy interviews, the people there said we would see Phazon again if we wanted. I'm pretty sure we have wanted that. Also, on a former Retro employee's LinkedIn he listed that he left Retro because he was "looking for new opportunity's". Is that implying that Retro is making more of the same?

This thread is a message to Nintendo, they read some forums as proven with Neogaf. We will find out what they're making whether they like it or not. We WILL know before E3 2013, even if we have to do unspeakable things. SEARCH THE INTERNET. GO GO GONINTENDO!
ZeldaPrime
Chocobo
Chocobo
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 09 Sep 2012 22:47
Location: United States
NN ID: HaxerNova95
PSN: HaxorNova95
XBL: HaxorNova95

Re: Retro Studios speculation

Postby KingBroly » 08 Nov 2012 14:29

*Makes the rounds

Then all of your money belongs to me. Now pay up. I expect payment by Monday.
Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention
My Alternate Account is Cortjezter
I write things here from time to time
User avatar
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: 12 Apr 2007 00:41
Location: North Carolina
NN ID: KingBroly
3DS: 3351-4164-6416
Steam ID: KingBroly
Wii: 8135-0917-9758-1594
PSN: KingBroly
XBL: KingBroly

Re: Retro Studios speculation

Postby mariomaniac45213 » 08 Nov 2012 14:34

Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 with Kremlings if not then they can giiiittttt out!
Finally got a PS3 sooo add me if you want. :)
User avatar
mariomaniac45213
Toad
Toad
 
Posts: 951
Joined: 28 May 2009 10:13
Location: Mushroom Kingdom and DK Island
Wii: 0257-0866-8958-0148
PSN: TheDestructo1994
XBL: TheDestructo94

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby MegaMan64 » 08 Nov 2012 22:37

A new IP would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! But a new Star Fox or F-Zero would not be bad either. An HD Space adventure with talking animals sounds really sounds good right now.
Image

Feel free to add me on your 3DS. PM me if u do. Also got a Wii U now, so add me as well and PM me!

Image
User avatar
MegaMan64
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 506
Joined: 30 Mar 2010 19:14
Location: Los Angeles,California
NN ID: Nerps64
3DS: 4596-9581-6101
Steam ID: SuperObjection64
PSN: SuperSpy12

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby THEWORD777 » 09 Nov 2012 02:11

As much as im really looking forward to new ip,im really wanting Starfox on the new console.But what ever there doing as it was said'A barrel roll of a different kind'.for me that narrows it down,starfox,DK,Metroid.But because it refers to a barrel roll/starfox im thinking new style or element like RTS or maybe MMO shooter.What ever it is Reggie said itll have great online potential.

With online,Bluray,1GB,5000 series GPU its gonna be sick.
User avatar
THEWORD777
Flicky
Flicky
 
Posts: 69
Joined: 06 Oct 2012 14:02
NN ID: iHarryGaming

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby komicturtle92 » 09 Nov 2012 02:23

I hope it's an Ice Climbers game. Or better- Custom Robo.
Image
User avatar
komicturtle92
Shyguy
Shyguy
 
Posts: 104
Joined: 24 Apr 2012 14:47
NN ID: komicturtle
3DS: Ask me to add

Re: Retro Studios speculation

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 09 Nov 2012 05:11

mariomaniac45213 wrote:Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 with Kremlings if not then they can giiiittttt out!

This or Retro is dead to me after having to endure seeing those generic-goomba-wannabe Tikis. :D
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
User avatar
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker
 
Posts: 1152
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 01:10
Location: The World Beyond This And That
NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Re: Retro Studios speculation

Postby J0RdAnN » 09 Nov 2012 09:14

Mirr0rR3flection wrote:
mariomaniac45213 wrote:Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 with Kremlings if not then they can giiiittttt out!

This or Retro is dead to me after having to endure seeing those generic-goomba-wannabe Tikis. :D

^^^This is my only complaint about DKCR.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
User avatar
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: 16 Nov 2011 18:34
NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby ninjaTOASTY » 09 Nov 2012 12:45

Why does everyone hate the Tikis? Is it because they're not the Kremlings everyone grew up with?
Image
User avatar
ninjaTOASTY
Shyguy
Shyguy
 
Posts: 126
Joined: 13 Jun 2011 15:46
Location: Newark, Delaware
NN ID: TOASTY
3DS: 0903-2738-6276
Steam ID: ninjaTOASTY

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 09 Nov 2012 18:35

Maybe cause the Kremlings haven't been seen in a main Donkey Kong Game in...I don't know...how long???????!!!!!!

Not to mention, some of DKCR's enemies remind me too much of the enemies you'd normally find in a mario game. (Don't even get me started on those wannabe piranha plants, flying goombas...)
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
User avatar
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker
 
Posts: 1152
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 01:10
Location: The World Beyond This And That
NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby Broken_Cartridge » 09 Nov 2012 20:44

Mirr0rR3flection wrote:Maybe cause the Kremlings haven't been seen in a main Donkey Kong Game in...I don't know...how long???????!!!!!!

Donkey Kong game? Donkey Kong Barrel Blast had them.
Spoiler:
Image


If you reword your statement to "Donkey Kong Country" well, all of the Donkey Kong Country games had them. (Even Jungle Beat, and King of Swing had them)

My problem with DKCR wasn't that it had new enemy types (that felt refreshing), but it did absolutely no fan service in the enemies department. For a game series that's been dormant for a while, they could have placed a hidden boss, or had one of the bosses be a returning one from a DKC game or something. The only thing that felt similar was the game's mechanics/sound track. Which, in a way, I'm greatful for, but on the other hand I wish they had some kind of nostalgia factor thrown in there as far as enemies are concerned.

So yeah, them not having Kremlings be the main villains I'm thankful for. I'm sick of platformers getting rehashed enemies or main villains over and over again, making the game feel uninspired (*cough* NSMB *cough*). They should get applauded for doing something new, or trying to anyways.
User avatar
Broken_Cartridge
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 626
Joined: 22 Oct 2010 08:13
NN ID: Broken_Cartridge
PSN: Stephen5543

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 09 Nov 2012 21:24

Broken_Cartridge wrote:Donkey Kong game? Donkey Kong Barrel Blast had them.

When I said "haven't been seen in a main Donkey Kong Game" I meant the DKC games including DK 64. :P

I consider those other games spinoff. (I don't really care for them.)

I had the same problem as you had. I enjoyed the difficulty, the platforming, those moments of frustration but after I beat it I found nothing to motivate me to beat it again. They could have at least given me a Lost World with the hard temple levels being there plus a secret boss at the end of it all but instead I got a fruit level... (Sorry Retro but Mirror Mode was not enough for me. :| )

I don't mind if some of you enjoyed the fact that the Kremlings weren't in this game but I just find it unfair that a sequel I waited for so long didn't have much for a fan of the old games. I can understand what you mean about the mario games but theres always been plenty of those and that includes the handheld games. Theres really only ever been the 3 Donkey Kong Country games and DK 64. The handheld DKC games weren't much different from their console counterparts.
Last edited by Mirr0rR3flection on 09 Nov 2012 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
User avatar
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker
 
Posts: 1152
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 01:10
Location: The World Beyond This And That
NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby Ragnarokstorymaker » 09 Nov 2012 21:32

Like most had already stated, I really hope its a new IP. I mean, a new Metroid would be awesome, but I say let these guys' imaginations flow, let them make their own game and actually have it released this time.


I think I saw a few posts up a Ravenblade revival? I like that idea, that would actually be pretty awesome.
Image
User avatar
Ragnarokstorymaker
Chocobo
Chocobo
 
Posts: 47
Joined: 29 Aug 2009 13:59
Location: Detroit
NN ID: RagnarokSM
PSN: RagnarokSM
XBL: DiehardStingray

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby Broken_Cartridge » 09 Nov 2012 21:34

Mirr0rR3flection wrote:
Broken_Cartridge wrote:Donkey Kong game? Donkey Kong Barrel Blast had them.

When I said "haven't been seen in a main Donkey Kong Game" I meant the DKC games including DK 64. :P

I consider those other games spinoff. (I don't really care for them.)

I had the same problem as you had. I enjoyed the difficulty, the platforming, those moments of frustration but after I beat it I found nothing to motivate me to beat it again. They could have at least given me a Lost World with the hard temple levels being there plus a secret boss at the end of it all but instead I got a fruit level... (Sorry Retro but Mirror Mode was not enough for me. :| )

I don't mind if some of you enjoyed the fact that the Kremlings weren't in this game but I just find it unfair that a sequel I waited for so long had nothing for a fan of the old games. I can understand what you mean about the mario games but theres always been plenty of those and that includes the handheld games. Theres really only ever been the 3 Donkey Kong Country games and DK 64. The handheld DKC games weren't much different from their console counterparts.

Fair enough, to each their own.

I wouldn't say that the game had nothing for a fan of the old games though. If that's the case it wouldn't be a Donkey Kong Country game (mechanic wise) with sweet music. :P But I get where you're coming from.
User avatar
Broken_Cartridge
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 626
Joined: 22 Oct 2010 08:13
NN ID: Broken_Cartridge
PSN: Stephen5543

PreviousNext

Return to Polls & Interactive Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron