Retro Studios New Game

Home of Zidane's (and others') weekly polls, games and other interactive content.

What do you think Retro Studios is developing right now?

Metroid Prime 4
10%
Donkey Kong Country Returns 2
10%
F-Zero
1%
Star Fox
35%
Zelda
No votes
A new game from an already established franchise
14%
A new I.P.
29%
I don't care, Retro's overrrated
2%

Total votes : 84

Re: Retro Studios New Game

Postby bellboy » 10 Nov 2012 03:07

New Metroid.
...It's not an expectation- more of a hope.
bellboy
Boo
Boo

NN ID: bellboy64
XBL: Madaman64

Postby Malcolm Belmont » 10 Nov 2012 06:14

I know this is very unlikely but..Startropics..
Malcolm Belmont
Goomba
Goomba

Postby NintendoFan93 » 10 Nov 2012 15:06

If Nintendo is smart they should not let them use the Star Fox series, because Platinum Games's Hideki Kamiya quoted "I wish that Nintendo could pull a gun into my head and force me to make a Starfox Game, i would do happily make it." Platinum Games is very supportive with Nintendo and it would be wise for them to not f^ck up this business relationship. It should be a different game, Maybe a sequel to Other M that f^cked up the Metroid series. Or Donkey Kong 128?
Childhood will follow for Eternity

NintendoFan93
Fairy
Fairy

3DS: 4038-6103-1125
PSN: cornholio6000

Postby Mochlum » 02 Jun 2013 00:26

Starfox, Metroid, and F-Zero all seem like perfect games for the Wii U. Starfox is good because the game-pad can work as your Arwing control, with the screen showing your team-mates communicating. Just think of the online multiplayer that could have... F-Zero would look amazing in 1080p with 60 fps, and the game-pad could be used as a rear-view mirror, map, etc. While I have never played a Metroid game besides Super Metroid and Metroid 2, I think the game-pad would be really cool for it. Maybe on the TV screen you can see the area from a 3rd person perspective, and the game-pad could be from 1st person. While a new Donkey Kong would be cool, but I don't know many ways it could use the game-pad.

(not to mention Kid Icarus, which I would LOVE another sequel to, but it is highly unlikely)
Spoiler:
Green = Newcomers I Want
Blue = Veterans I Want Back
Yellow = Alternate Costumes
Red = Assist Trophy/Stage Hazard
Mochlum
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Mochlum

Postby JD » 02 Jun 2013 00:46

Ehh... I don't know really. The Metroid Prime games and DKCR were okay, but part of me really doesn't want to see them continue with any of those... and I can't think of any franchises I'd really want them to work on, so, yeah, I don't know...
Last edited by JD on 02 Jun 2013 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
JD
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: J.D.

Postby Devil_Rising » 02 Jun 2013 06:58

NintendoFan93 wrote:If Nintendo is smart they should not let them use the Star Fox series, because Platinum Games's Hideki Kamiya quoted "I wish that Nintendo could pull a gun into my head and force me to make a Starfox Game, i would do happily make it." Platinum Games is very supportive with Nintendo and it would be wise for them to not f^ck up this business relationship. It should be a different game, Maybe a sequel to Other M that f^cked up the Metroid series. Or Donkey Kong 128?

So.........you're saying that to keep Platinum happy, they should let them make Star Fox, because he says he's love to? I'm not quite sure I see the logic. I'm pretty sure that Nintendo allowing them/giving them the ability to make Bayonetta 2 like they wanted, is keeping them pretty damn happy. I think if that and Wonderful 101 eventually sell pretty well, they'd be pretty happy. If Nintendo wants to keep the relationship going, I think all they need to do is just keep letting Platinum be Platinum and make the kind of games they want/like. I'm not 100% sure I would want to see them make Star Fox, even though I did love Okami. However, seeing how SF has turned out in other hands, I'm not really certain I want to see anyone but Nintendo themselves do it, because SF64 was and remains the best game in the series. To me, it's the only one that totally "Got it Right".

IF they or Retro could do an amazing job and make it the honest-to-God, 100% pure and true SF64 sequel that I've WANTED for over a decade, sure, I'd be okay with that. But it's kind of hard to trust at this point, that any outside team would handle it correctly. I just wish that Takaya Immamura and the old EAD crew would just get back together and make the proper sequel themselves.
Also featured at: http://thepunkeffect.com
Follow along on Twitter: @RetroRevelation
And Tumblr: retrorevelations.tumblr.com
Devil_Rising
F-Zero Racer
F-Zero Racer

NN ID: Godzilla1981
PSN: AwesomeFukenGuy

Postby Lakster37 » 02 Jun 2013 10:52

I find it a little funny that the OP mentioned Kid Icarus back in May 2010, I believe before Uprising was even announced. He may not have gotten a new Retro game mention at E32010, but he sure got his Kid Icarus :P Anyways, I voted awhile ago on this poll as StarFox because it's definitely a Nintendo franchise that could use some love right now, and Retro has definitely proven themselves as masters of franchise revivals. Now though, I'm feeling more and more like they should work on their own IP. Like others have said, they definitely deserve it and I'd love to see what they could come up with on their own. Though there was that StarTropics rumor recently (funnily enough, someone mentioned it in here, before that rumor came out). I'd be okay with that too. :P
Lakster's Wii FC: 0396-7842-5899-7903
Lakster37
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: Lakster

Postby Devil_Rising » 02 Jun 2013 12:05

I'd be okay with Star Tropics only if they did it right. Make it like the old games, or at the very least stay true to the STYLE, humor, and feel of the old games. I want Mike, in all his goofiness, and I want Star Tropics style gameplay (refinements are fine, wholesale changes are not). So basically what I'm saying, is if someone tried to do a new ST, but make tried to go the "Mature" or "Epic" route.........I'd be pretty well pissed.

As for Star Fox, as I've said before, it's not necessarily that I don't think Retro COULD do it right and do it justice. I'm just afraid that no one will, after how it's been mishandled by outside studios. I absolutely want a new SF, I just want it to be the amazing game we all deserve. Not another abortion like the GC game.
Devil_Rising
F-Zero Racer
F-Zero Racer

Postby gtt » 04 Jun 2013 17:30

Devil_Rising wrote:I'd be okay with Star Tropics only if they did it right. Make it like the old games, or at the very least stay true to the STYLE, humor, and feel of the old games. I want Mike, in all his goofiness, and I want Star Tropics style gameplay (refinements are fine, wholesale changes are not). So basically what I'm saying, is if someone tried to do a new ST, but make tried to go the "Mature" or "Epic" route.........I'd be pretty well pissed.

As for Star Fox, as I've said before, it's not necessarily that I don't think Retro COULD do it right and do it justice. I'm just afraid that no one will, after how it's been mishandled by outside studios. I absolutely want a new SF, I just want it to be the amazing game we all deserve. Not another abortion like the GC game.

an 'epic' or 'mature' star tropics would be proof positive that nintendo hates its most loyal fans.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby Devil_Rising » 04 Jun 2013 20:34

I am reminded of the abortion experiment that was the "Xbox Bomberman".

I trust Nintendo wouldn't do that to people who love Star Tropics like me.
Devil_Rising
F-Zero Racer
F-Zero Racer

Postby PatrickTheHuman » 05 Jun 2013 03:19

I love both Prime and DKCR, but I really want Retro to give them a break. I don't want to see them become the Metroid guys, because they can do so many different things. DKCR proved that, now let them free to tackle the other abandoned ip's, like StarFox, F-Zero, or yes, even maybe StarTropics. I would buy another Metroid or DK game from them, but I'd so much prefer something they haven't done yet.
PatrickTheHuman
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: PatrickTheHuman
3DS: 0259-0444-2571
PSN: Patthehuman
XBL: PatTheHuman64

Postby Devil_Rising » 05 Jun 2013 13:54

PatrickTheHuman wrote:I love both Prime and DKCR, but I really want Retro to give them a break. I don't want to see them become the Metroid guys, because they can do so many different things. DKCR proved that, now let them free to tackle the other abandoned ip's, like StarFox, F-Zero, or yes, even maybe StarTropics. I would buy another Metroid or DK game from them, but I'd so much prefer something they haven't done yet.

Exactly. I wouldn't be MAD at a new Metroid Prime. But I do think it'd be a waste. I think that series is good stand alone, and needs to remain just a trilogy. I want new Metroid, but I want it to be 2D, sprite based, by Nintendo themselves. I want Metroid 5.

From Retro, I either want a mind-blowing (DONE CORRECTLY) Star Fox, or a brand new IP. I would still love to see what they could come up with on their own.
Devil_Rising
F-Zero Racer
F-Zero Racer

Postby Dice » 05 Jun 2013 20:57

Okay, did people really hate Star Fox Assault that much? I thought it was a great game overall, sure the foot controls weren't the best, but at least they tried to add more variety to the series. Then again, these thoughts coming from a guy who enjoyed Other M. Every time Nintendo tries to do something new to the a series people get to butt hurt over it, frankly it gets annoying.

More on Retro. I do NOT believe they're overrated, as some would say, they remind me of Rare of the 90's and are that great. Of course they are doing what Nintendo tells them it's a Nintendo studio, that's just a stupid argument. That would be like people being mad at Naughty Dog if Sony told them what to do. Sony owns Naughty Dog... >_> ANYWAY about Retro's game...

I hope new their new game is an all new IP, or another Metroid FPS Adventure/epic Multiplayer with online it doesn't have to be part of the Prime series. Are people really going to be that mad if they get another awesome Metroid game? Really?... I'm totally down for a new IP as well, I think they deserve their "own IP" or whatever... Weren't people that were being hired from places like Naughty Dawg, didn't they say it will be the "highlight of their career?" Or along those lines.(I think I read that while back) I just hope Retro's Game gets announced and at least a cool trailer. That's all I truly ask.

OMG another awesome Metroid game GET IT AWAY!!! Waste of talent!! LMAO, I'm done. =)
Dice
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: Vaddixx

Postby Devil_Rising » 06 Jun 2013 02:04

Dice wrote:Okay, did people really hate Star Fox Assault that much? I thought it was a great game overall, sure the foot controls weren't the best, but at least they tried to add more variety to the series. Then again, these thoughts coming from a guy who enjoyed Other M. Every time Nintendo tries to do something new to the a series people get to butt hurt over it, frankly it gets annoying.

You're perfectly welcome to like both games, or any game you choose. That doesn't stop Assault and Other M from being absolute train-wrecks in many ways, which they are. The problem with Assault isn't JUST that it has crappy get-out-and-run-around missions, where the graphics actually look WORSE, they control like ass, and are mind-numbingly repetitive (see: UN-fun to play). The problem was that that was the entire basis of the game. You don't make a Star Fox game, a series based on one thing: space/vehicular shooting, and then only put (literally) about three levels in the entire goddamn game that are actually that. 80% of that game, easily, was some configuration of crappy "walk around" levels. And that is NOT Star Fox. I couldn't accepted the sub-par "Apparoid" storyline. IF the entire game had been like the first two (actual SF style) levels. Because those levels were executed rather well. I was SUPER excited for Assault, and then I played it beyond the second level. It wasn't me "being butt-hurt that Nintendo tried something new". It was me being genuinely and legitimately disgusted that Nintendo gave the series to an outside company (Namco), and allowed them to make it something it's totally not supposed to be. I ignore "Adventures" when saying that, because honestly that was never meant to be a SF game in the first place. To me, that's just Dinosaur Planet with SF characters shoved in.

But Assault was supposed to be the straight-up sequel to SF64 that I'd been waiting years, eagerly, to play. And what I got was a steaming pile of sh*t.

And I'm not even going to bother going into Other M. Let's just say that it's a very similar situation, and that I legitimately tried to stay positive and give the game a chance. In both cases, I gave the games a chance, I didn't go INTO them expecting bad. But what I got certainly was. You can try new things with a franchise all you want. But when you fail to stay true to the spirit of the franchise while you're at it...then you've failed completely.
Devil_Rising
F-Zero Racer
F-Zero Racer

Postby ddddd » 08 Jun 2013 17:13

I still want one last Metroid Prime, for one reason, and one reason only: To have a story that ties the 'Phazon Crisis' with the 'Metroid Extermination Campaign' that leads to the events of RoS. No "side story" "alternative universe" or "they are not in the same timeline" anymore.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby Devil_Rising » 08 Jun 2013 19:59

??????

Since when has it ever been alternative universe or not in the same timeline? It was always my understanding that the Prime series was merely some events that happened in between Metroid and Metroid 2.
Devil_Rising
F-Zero Racer
F-Zero Racer

Postby ddddd » 08 Jun 2013 20:11

Devil_Rising wrote:??????

Since when has it ever been alternative universe or not in the same timeline? It was always my understanding that the Prime series was merely some events that happened in between Metroid and Metroid 2.

Its always a mess, and Sakamoto's english doesn't help, his latest interview on the matter is confusing: "Everybody asks me about the primes, which they put in the same timeline, but they are separate" (Eurogamer has a slightly different quote, but the original quote says what I wrote). Even being canon, its always "that side story" that doesn't affect the main story in any way.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby KingBroly » 14 Jun 2013 06:20

8 of you chose Donkey Kong Country Returns 2, and are right. The rest of you, go to your rooms, and think about what you've done.

Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention
My Alternate Account is Cortjezter
I write things here from time to time
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: KingBroly
3DS: 3351-4164-6416
Steam ID: KingBroly
Wii: 8135-0917-9758-1594
PSN: KingBroly
XBL: KingBroly