Reggie - Competitors need to react to us, it was the righ...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Reggie - Competitors need to react to us, it was the righ...

Postby robometal cowboy » 26 Nov 2012 17:33

Reggie - Competitors need to react to us, it was the right time for a new Nintendo console
Click Here to View Story

"In the end, our competitors need to react to what we're doing in the marketplace and need to figure out what their innovation will be. It's likely that faster processors and pretty pictures won't be enough to motivate consumers. They need to react to what we've done and we need to continue innovating with the Wii U and we will.

For us, launching new systems is about bringing new consumer experiences to the marketplace and we're doing that with Nintendo land and third-party publishers are doing it with games like ZombiU. For us, now is the right time to launch new hardware." - Reggie Fils-Aime

Strong words from Reggie there. We'll need more time to see if the Wii U is a big enough hit to influence what Sony/Microsoft do with future hardware.

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: Reggie - Competitors need to react to us, it was the rig

Postby linkgx1 » 26 Nov 2012 17:34

I still think it was a bit early for Nintendo, but DAMN!
linkgx1
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: Linkgx1
PSN: Linkgx1
XBL: Linkgx1

Reggie - Competitors need to react to us, it was the right t

Postby LegendofSantiago » 26 Nov 2012 17:37

After a few days with the gamepad I'm convinced that it's the future. Let's see how they stea...er...cop...er...react to it
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Postby mariomaniac45213 » 26 Nov 2012 17:38

In the posisition Sony's in with the PS3 finally bringing in a profit last year but the failure that is Vita. I don't see them going "MAXXXIMMMMUUUMMMM POWWWWWEEEERRR!!!!!" again....so I think they have no choice to just slightly enhance the power and come out with their own sort of gimmick. I have a feeling Microsoft might go full power but we'll see.....

Finally got a PS3 sooo add me if you want. :)
mariomaniac45213
Toad
Toad

Wii: 0257-0866-8958-0148
PSN: TheDestructo1994
XBL: TheDestructo94

Postby soccerfan384 » 26 Nov 2012 17:46

@mariomaniac45213
Hahaha, that video is perfect.
soccerfan384
Fairy
Fairy

Postby BanetheKira » 26 Nov 2012 17:50

I've been reading about the new Xbox and its most likely true rumors (supposedly going to be named simply like before "Xbox"), and I'm impressed. I definitely hope to see a good response from Nintendo. Remember, competition is healthy for the tech industry.
BanetheKira
Fairy
Fairy

Postby ddddd » 26 Nov 2012 17:51

So, Reggie, would you say this was a "dramatically" good time to launch the WiiU? :angel:
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby zombiedsz » 26 Nov 2012 17:55

out of everything the Wii U offers, off Tv play is the game changer. its my favorite feature that gets the most use in my household ( i have to share the TV with my 4 kids) it really is a unique experience that everyone who buys a Wii U gets in one box, off the shelf, for a decent price. Sony already is attempting to shoe-horn in a similar experience with the Vita, but it is far from a complete experience since not everyone will buy both systems and developers are least likely to support something with a fractured userbase.
zombiedsz
Fairy
Fairy

Postby BanetheKira » 26 Nov 2012 17:59

mariomaniac45213 wrote:In the posisition Sony's in with the PS3 finally bringing in a profit last year but the failure that is Vita. I don't see them going "MAXXXIMMMMUUUMMMM POWWWWWEEEERRR!!!!!" again....so I think they have no choice to just slightly enhance the power and come out with their own sort of gimmick. I have a feeling Microsoft might go full power but we'll see.....

Believe it or not, but the Vita is actually selling... just a little more than it has been. I definitely would not call it a 'failure'.
BanetheKira
Fairy
Fairy

Postby FrenchFryGuy » 26 Nov 2012 18:00

robometal cowboy wrote:"It's likely that faster processors and pretty pictures won't be enough to motivate consumers."

I can only speak for myself, but this is absolutely the case with me at this point. In fact, I immediately go into shutdown brain mode when people start talking about tech specs and all that BS which never has determined A) a console winner because the weakest console of the past three generations has won. and B) Some of the best gaming experiences have been on the weakest systems because developers have to work within their means to get more out of the system and the games usually end up being better for it rather than short-lengthed uninspired pieces of shiny sh!t.
Image"Cross me and i'll BURN you!"
FrenchFryGuy
Fairy
Fairy

Postby monkeymagic » 26 Nov 2012 18:15

Personally I think Nintendo should have released Wii U last year if not before. Wii has been dead ages and a longer lead ahead of the new Xbox/PS would have been good.

On the flip side, I'm happy to wait until 2014/15 before upgrading my Xbox...
monkeymagic
Fairy
Fairy

Postby NormalGamer » 26 Nov 2012 18:28

FrenchFryGuy wrote:
robometal cowboy wrote:"It's likely that faster processors and pretty pictures won't be enough to motivate consumers."

I can only speak for myself, but this is absolutely the case with me at this point. In fact, I immediately go into shutdown brain mode when people start talking about tech specs and all that BS which never has determined A) a console winner because the weakest console of the past three generations has won. and B) Some of the best gaming experiences have been on the weakest systems because developers have to work within their means to get more out of the system and the games usually end up being better for it rather than short-lengthed uninspired pieces of shiny sh!t.

Pretty much this.

It's time people start enjoying playing the games they want for 'themselves' and get over their graphics/power/specs obsession.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks."
-- R.Dorothy Wayneright - The Big O

"They're the kind we women hate the most."
-- Misato Katsuragi - Neon Genesis Evangelion
NormalGamer
Fairy
Fairy

Postby wiiarebrothers » 26 Nov 2012 18:36

I think it's alright for Nintendo to sell Miiverse, the GamePad, and all the other things that the WiiU has to offer. But Reggie seems a bit on the offensive with this "they need to react to what we're doing" line. Oh and "pretty graphics and faster processors"... you shouldn't be talking about that Reggie.

First, do some fixin' with the OS. Then, show some more games. First or third party... without framerate issues in the latter case.
wiiarebrothers
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: wiiarebrothers
3DS: 3866-7995-7423
Wii: 2865-2186-3272-4357

Postby Shaanyboi » 26 Nov 2012 18:37

BanetheKira wrote:
mariomaniac45213 wrote:In the posisition Sony's in with the PS3 finally bringing in a profit last year but the failure that is Vita. I don't see them going "MAXXXIMMMMUUUMMMM POWWWWWEEEERRR!!!!!" again....so I think they have no choice to just slightly enhance the power and come out with their own sort of gimmick. I have a feeling Microsoft might go full power but we'll see.....

Believe it or not, but the Vita is actually selling... just a little more than it has been. I definitely would not call it a 'failure'.

I wouldn't say that it's "healthy and doing cartwheels" either. As far as I can see, The Vita seems like it's holding on for dear life at the moment. And with the 3DS apparently getting a price drop next week (which doesn't speak well of the health of that system either), it's only going to put Sony's handheld division under greater stress.
Shaanyboi
Goomba
Goomba

XBL: Shaanyboi

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 26 Nov 2012 18:40

@FrenchFryGuy Nope. I'm right with you there man.

It'll be nice to see more gamers simply, well, playing games again. :)

Limitations [as the Wii has shown time and time again] bring out the creative best in some people [with others clearly not being able to hack it without a crutch - e.g. UE3 games using it to cookie-cutting alot of assets, hence a great deal of such HD games look quite similar, even across genres].

Can't see PS4/X-Box 8 not being MOAR POWER-focused - but who knows [maybe one of them have come back down to earth]?
Last edited by Chosenoneknuckles on 26 Nov 2012 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Chosenoneknuckles
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Chosenoneknux
3DS: 1590-4669-5649

Postby MDX » 26 Nov 2012 18:56

monkeymagic wrote:Personally I think Nintendo should have released Wii U last year if not before. Wii has been dead ages and a longer lead ahead of the new Xbox/PS would have been good.

On the flip side, I'm happy to wait until 2014/15 before upgrading my Xbox...

Wii dead for ages? it just cleared 300K this month.
I think it still has a good bit of life with attractive bundles.
MDX
Goomba
Goomba

Postby lynnvin » 26 Nov 2012 19:05

Shaanyboi wrote:
BanetheKira wrote:

I wouldn't say that it's "healthy and doing cartwheels" either. As far as I can see, The Vita seems like it's holding on for dear life at the moment. And with the 3DS apparently getting a price drop next week (which doesn't speak well of the health of that system either), it's only going to put Sony's handheld division under greater stress.

Where did you hear of a 3DS price cut next week?????
lynnvin
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: lynnvin

Postby zyxion1 » 26 Nov 2012 19:15

Its RUMORED to be dropping permanently to $139.99 I wonder why this (If its true) is happening?
Non Specific Action Figure is my HERO!
zyxion1
Chocobo
Chocobo

3DS: 2019-9664-4648
Wii: 8339-2401-8307-3297

Postby ddddd » 26 Nov 2012 19:22

zyxion1 wrote:Its RUMORED to be dropping permanently to $139.99 I wonder why this (If its true) is happening?

Because the 3DS doesnt sell very well in this continent perhaps?
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby FrenchFryGuy » 26 Nov 2012 19:57

@ddddd

More likely that they want the 3DS XL to become the "deluxe" and preferred model and the standard 3DS will become the entry level model for more budget minded consumers would be my guess. The 3DS is not doing badly at all.

It's not in desperate need of this despite want some people want to assume. This has market strategy written all over it. Maybe Nintendo knows something about Sony's pricing plans with the Vita that we don't yet.
FrenchFryGuy
Fairy
Fairy

Postby BigLord » 26 Nov 2012 20:34

So this is Reggie saying "COME AT ME, BROS!!" on behalf of Nintendo? :lol:
Show me your news!
BigLord
Fairy
Fairy

Postby ddddd » 26 Nov 2012 20:46

FrenchFryGuy wrote:@ddddd

More likely that they want the 3DS XL to become the "deluxe" and preferred model and the standard 3DS will become the entry level model for more budget minded consumers would be my guess. The 3DS is not doing badly at all.

It's not in desperate need of this despite want some people want to assume. This has market strategy written all over it. Maybe Nintendo knows something about Sony's pricing plans with the Vita that we don't yet.

Nintendo doesn't need to worry about Vita, it still has no big games like mario or AC, and it is still more expensive, even after the black friday price drops. This price drop (if real) more than likely has nothing to do with that platform.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby FrenchFryGuy » 26 Nov 2012 21:22

@ddddd

You're missing the point I was making. The black Friday price drops were temporary and only lasted a day to a few hours at most. Sony may be giving the Vita a price drop in the coming days or weeks leading into the holidays that will narrow the price difference between the two platforms at the 3DS's current price and so maybe Nintendo is being proactive and dropping the price of the 3DS to keep the price gap between the two systems was all I was saying.

Either way, It certainly isn't because the 3DS is "oh knowz in trouble and failing."
FrenchFryGuy
Fairy
Fairy

Postby solarisdeschain » 26 Nov 2012 21:32

So, Reggie, back to kicking ass and taking names, I see.
Add me on Miiverse: solarisdeschain!
And twitter: @MasterMastermnd
solarisdeschain
Fairy
Fairy

Postby donzaloog » 26 Nov 2012 23:05

Reggie is on the offensive these days and I like it. The gaming media have written off Nintendo for far too long. It's all about innovation. Pretty graphics can only get you so far.
donzaloog
Fairy
Fairy

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion