Wii Mini confirmed by Nintendo of Canada

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Postby robometal cowboy » 27 Nov 2012 14:17

Click Here to View Story

After nearly 100 million sold worldwide, Nintendo’s Wii console is getting a new look and a new price. On Dec. 7, the new Wii Mini home console launches in Canada at a suggested retail price of just $99.99 and puts the focus squarely on Wii games. The system can play more than 1,400 disc-based Wii games. Wii Mini is smaller than the original Wii system, and comes in matte black with a red border. The system comes with a red Wii Remote Plus, a red Nunchuk controller and works with most Wii accessories.

“There are games in the Wii library for every type of player,” said Ron Bertram, Nintendo of Canada’s vice president and general manager. “Wii Mini is a great gift for the holidays that brings everyone in the family together to play. Wii Mini has a mini price, but it’s all about big fun.”

Wii Mini is designed exclusively to play Wii games. Its family-friendly design has no Internet capabilities and does not play Nintendo GameCube games. It’s a great value for first-time Wii owners who just want to jump in and experience all the great Wii games that helped usher in a revolution in motion-controlled gaming. Wii games are available at a variety of price points for every kind of shopper. Some top Wii games during the past six years include:

• A whole range of value-priced Nintendo Selects games, including some of the top-selling and best-reviewed Wii games of all time, at a suggested retail price of $19.99

• Super Smash Bros. Brawl (suggested retail price of $29.99)

• Donkey Kong Country Returns (suggested retail price of $29.99)

• Mario Kart Wii (suggested retail price of $39.99)

• Wii Sports Resort (suggested retail price of $39.99)

• New Super Mario Bros. Wii (suggested retail price of $59.99)

• Wii Fit Plus with the Wii Balance Board (suggested retail price of $99.99)

Wii Mini is available exclusively in Canada during the holiday season. No information is available about its potential availability in other territories in the future. Remember that Wii Mini features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit nintendo.com/wiimini.

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Postby ZeldaPrime » 27 Nov 2012 14:19

First time I've seen RMC break a story later than ZI
ZeldaPrime
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: HaxerNova95
PSN: HaxorNova95
XBL: HaxorNova95

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 27 Nov 2012 14:19

Canada only...[?]
No Internet [so no VC]...
No GC BC [obvious, but still a flaw]...
A hideous design [albeit one that differs more aesthetically from the Wii to Wii U!]...

'Kay.

Umm, why now, Nintendo [not after Christmas]? Way to cannibalize [even further] your US Wii U sales...

Only thing I can think of is that this will go some way towards Nintendo being able to keep the Wii on sale [which is still selling], whilst enabling them, eventually, to close the Wii Shop.
Chosenoneknuckles
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Chosenoneknux
3DS: 1590-4669-5649

Postby ZeroFlame16 » 27 Nov 2012 14:22

Would be good if they would release the Red Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuck for Retail
ZeroFlame16
Fairy
Fairy

Postby MoldyClay » 27 Nov 2012 14:22

@Chosenoneknuckles

Hideous? Maybe I just like the design because it's actually something different.

But agreed on the "wtf you doing this now?" mindset.
MoldyClay
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Re: Wii Mini confirmed by Nintendo of Canada

Postby gtt » 27 Nov 2012 14:26

"• New Super Mario Bros. Wii (suggested retail price of $59.99)"

that has to be a joke right? right?!

also, this remodel and the WiiU launch should have happened 2 years ago.

but meh, it's a Wii Jr.

edit: they also should have never done this until AFTER xmas. imagine all the moms and grandmas going into the stores asking for "that new Wii thing" and getting this for little johnny. little johnny wanted a wiiu nintendo!
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby emblemfire » 27 Nov 2012 14:30

Thank god it's not coming out in the US. Think of all the bad parents who would mess up there children's' presents. "The Wii Mini is not the Wii U!!!"
emblemfire

Postby GeneticRepoMan » 27 Nov 2012 14:31

I really dig the way that this looks! It looks. . .classic to me. (Or gives me a classicy feel).

As far as it cannibalizing Wii U sales? Highly doubtful. There would always be people still buying the Wii. Without gamecube or internet support I really doubt this is swaying people away from the Wii U. This is more or less a glorified Wii Sports/NSMBWii/MKWii player for uber casuals or collectors.

The Wii will always continue selling just like the PS2 has/did.

EDIT: Hope I don't offend anyone with the uber casuals comment, I can also see others using this if they have a broken Wii or something, or honestly just do not care about going online and just wanted to play a few single player games. I'm mostly just commenting on the majority of the target audience.
If you add me on any platform, shoot me a PM and let me know!
GeneticRepoMan
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: GeneticRepoMan
3DS: 3952-7010-8227
PSN: darkfire0

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 27 Nov 2012 14:48

MoldyClay wrote:@Chosenoneknuckles

Hideous? Maybe I just like the design because it's actually something different.

It just looks bizarre - a completely different colour scheme to the Wii [whom will always be remained for being another white console, even with the Black and special coloured editions out in its later life]. Looks like a SNES inspired Wii Fit Balance Board...

It stands out [great] from the Wii and Wii U - but it also barely looks relate-able to the former in the same vein. :?

emblemfire wrote:Thank god it's not coming out in the US. Think of all the bad parents who would mess up there children's' presents. "The Wii Mini is not the Wii U!!!"

*Is a UKer, so this divide between the US’ North, South and Canada eternally baffles him*

But I'm sure this won't stay in one part of the US for long :wink: - Canada is just seeing this first [for Christmas], for some reason.

Heck, my UK and Europe might see it in 2013 too.

Off-Topic: My Wii U Deluxe [NL] and NSMBU are ready to be dispatched tomorrow [just ZombiU left to be confirmed with them tonight] - so should have them on Thursday [probably]! :D
Last edited by Chosenoneknuckles on 27 Nov 2012 14:52, edited 2 times in total.
Chosenoneknuckles
Boo
Boo

Postby Sticker » 27 Nov 2012 14:49

GeneticRepoMan wrote:I really dig the way that this looks! It looks. . .classic to me. (Or gives me a classicy feel).

As far as it cannibalizing Wii U sales? Highly doubtful. There would always be people still buying the Wii. Without gamecube or internet support I really doubt this is swaying people away from the Wii U. This is more or less a glorified Wii Sports/NSMBWii/MKWii player for uber casuals or collectors.

The Wii will always continue selling just like the PS2 has/did.

EDIT: Hope I don't offend anyone with the uber casuals comment, I can also see others using this if they have a broken Wii or something, or honestly just do not care about going online and just wanted to play a few single player games. I'm mostly just commenting on the majority of the target audience.

same here, most of people that just want their wii's to play games doesn't use online. People that use online features knows that this console lacks of them so they simply won't buy it and might get the common wii or a wii u, since the wii doesn't shine for it's online features.
The design looks colorful, small and it's cheap so that's great. Though a better idea would be a bundle with a mario game or something, that would be awesome and would sell a lot.
Sticker
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: stickerb

Postby Ry » 27 Nov 2012 14:51

@emblemfire

True. They also made a good decision in not selling the Gamepad separately yet.
"Your blade...it did not cut deep enough."
Ry
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Jerome » 27 Nov 2012 15:21

Well, I guess this thing isn't for me. I thought they were going to streamline the system, not rip core components out. They'd better not try to replace the older console with this gimped thing. I guess if you only want disc games and for some strange reason feel intimidated by all optional internet-related features, you might like saving a few bucks, but it doesn't even seem much cheaper, and it doesn't look much smaller, either. Also, it's kind of weird looking. Seriously, the angles on the sides make it resemble an old phone answering machine. :|
Last edited by Jerome on 27 Nov 2012 15:35, edited 2 times in total.
Jerome
Octorok
Octorok

Postby Serebii » 27 Nov 2012 15:34

Jerome wrote:Well, I guess this thing isn't for me. I thought they were going to streamline the system, not rip core components out. They'd better not try to replace the older console with this gimped thing. I guess if you only want disc games and for some strange reason feel intimidated by all optional internet-related features, you might like saving a few bucks, but it doesn't even seem much cheaper, and it doesn't look much smaller, either. Also, it's kind of weird looking. Seriously, the angles on the sides make it resemble an old phone answering machine. :|

Not quite. It looks exactly like the old cases of the Game & Watch
Serebii
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby ecco6t9 » 27 Nov 2012 15:35

WiFi would of been great, something about this being just a Virtual Console device would of been nice.
ecco6t9

Postby Jerome » 27 Nov 2012 15:38

Serebii wrote:
Jerome wrote:Well, I guess this thing isn't for me. I thought they were going to streamline the system, not rip core components out. They'd better not try to replace the older console with this gimped thing. I guess if you only want disc games and for some strange reason feel intimidated by all optional internet-related features, you might like saving a few bucks, but it doesn't even seem much cheaper, and it doesn't look much smaller, either. Also, it's kind of weird looking. Seriously, the angles on the sides make it resemble an old phone answering machine. :|

Not quite. It looks exactly like the old cases of the Game & Watch

Okay, I didn't realize that. I still think it was a weird idea, though, as the angled protrusions give it a vaguely 70's/80's look, and also make the system's footprint bigger, which kind of counteracts the whole um, mini thing.
Jerome
Octorok
Octorok

Postby chris_the_wing » 27 Nov 2012 15:43

Chosenoneknuckles wrote:
*Is a UKer, so this divide between the US’ North, South and Canada eternally baffles him*

But I'm sure this won't stay in one part of the US for long :wink: - Canada is just seeing this first [for Christmas], for some reason.

I don't know if you're joking around, but Canada in not part of the US. Canada, the United States & Mexico are three different sovereign countries in the continent of North America.
chris_the_wing
Octorok
Octorok

Postby DragonSavior X10 » 27 Nov 2012 15:48

I really like the way this guy looks. It feels like an old school videogame console. If I had all the money in the world, I'd get one. Cool to see Nintendo going back to the idea of turning their old consoles into budget consoles.
DragonSavior X10
Fairy
Fairy

Postby 8bit101 » 27 Nov 2012 15:52

Chosenoneknuckles wrote:
MoldyClay wrote:@Chosenoneknuckles

It just looks bizarre - a completely different colour scheme to the Wii [whom will always be remained for being another white console, even with the Black and special coloured editions out in its later life]. Looks like a SNES inspired Wii Fit Balance Board...

It stands out [great] from the Wii and Wii U - but it also barely looks relate-able to the former in the same vein. :?

emblemfire wrote:Thank god it's not coming out in the US. Think of all the bad parents who would mess up there children's' presents. "The Wii Mini is not the Wii U!!!"

Heck, my UK and Europe might see it in 2013 too.

Off-Topic: My Wii U Deluxe [NL] and NSMBU are ready to be dispatched tomorrow [just ZombiU left to be confirmed with them tonight] - so should have them on Thursday [probably]! :D

The way you're saying, it's as if you include the Canada as a US territory... When it's not.
8bit101
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 27 Nov 2012 16:07

chris_the_wing wrote:
Chosenoneknuckles wrote:

I don't know if you're joking around, but Canada in not part of the US. Canada, the United States & Mexico are three different sovereign countries in the continent of North America.

8bit101 wrote:The way you're saying, it's as if you include the Canada as a US territory... When it's not.

Well, in my eyes guys, you're all the US [like England, Wales and Scotland make up my UK - no, I don't count Ireland as part of it].

But hey, the world sees you as three separate places [for some reason], so my opinion is null. *shrugs*
Chosenoneknuckles
Boo
Boo

Postby Jerome » 27 Nov 2012 16:08

Oh, just thought of another thing. This isn't even really cheaper overall than the regular Wii. It might have a slightly lower price, but it doesn't come with any games.
Jerome
Octorok
Octorok

Postby chris_the_wing » 27 Nov 2012 16:08

In Canada you can get a Wii (without gamecube support) with online, Wiimotion+, Soundtrack CD, & NSMBW for $149.99. NSMBW on it's own in Canada is $59.99, so the already existing Wii bundle in Canada is a better price for a more full featured system. This Wii Mini seems like it's for collectors & people who don't know any better.

Edit: Does Wii Mini have an SD card slot, I'd guess not.
Last edited by chris_the_wing on 27 Nov 2012 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
chris_the_wing
Octorok
Octorok

Postby chris_the_wing » 27 Nov 2012 16:15

Chosenoneknuckles wrote:
Well, in my eyes guys, you're all the US [like England, Wales and Scotland make up my UK - no, I don't count Ireland as part of it].

But hey, the world sees you as three separate places [for some reason], so my opinion is null. *shrugs*

The world see's us as three different places because we are three different places. Do you not know what sovereign nation means? You must be so confused during the Olympics.
chris_the_wing
Octorok
Octorok

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 27 Nov 2012 16:20

chris_the_wing wrote:
Chosenoneknuckles wrote:

The world see's us as three different places because we are three different places. Do you not know what sovereign nation means? You must be so confused during the Olympics.

Nope [nor do I care to]. And nope.

I just don't see why you're regarded as three physically separate places when you aren't not physically separate. Just seems schizo, imho [which, as aforementioned, means nothing here].

You're one [divided] nation in my eyes. Always will be.
Chosenoneknuckles
Boo
Boo

Postby chris_the_wing » 27 Nov 2012 16:28

Chosenoneknuckles wrote:
chris_the_wing wrote:
Chosenoneknuckles wrote:

I just don't see why you're regarded as three physically separate places when you aren't not physically separate. Just seems abit backwards, imho [which, as aforementioned, means nothing here].

("aren't not" is a double negative.) So Russia, Kazakhstan & China should be grouped together because they touch? Don't worry though, be proud of your ignorance.
chris_the_wing
Octorok
Octorok

Postby 8bit101 » 27 Nov 2012 18:41

Chosenoneknuckles wrote:
chris_the_wing wrote:
Chosenoneknuckles wrote:

I just don't see why you're regarded as three physically separate places when you aren't not physically separate. Just seems schizo, imho [which, as aforementioned, means nothing here].

You're one [divided] nation in my eyes. Always will be.
So basically u choose to live by your ignorance? Carry on mate! No one shall take you seriously now.
8bit101
Chocobo
Chocobo

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion