Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition sees slightly bette...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition sees slightly bette...

Postby robometal cowboy » 27 Nov 2012 16:03

Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition sees slightly better framerates, overall lower quality
Click Here to View Story

Coming from Digital Foundry...

The overall takeaway is that the Wii U version of this classic title is unpolished and less enjoyable to play than Rocksteady's original. On top of the variable frame-rate, we were also disappointed to see the odd moment of more noticeable LOD popping and jerky FMV sequences suggesting that this version has some streaming issues.

Check out the full analysis, complete with videos here
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition sees slightly bett

Postby Serebii » 27 Nov 2012 16:08

As I said there, I maintain that these MODS BAN ME PLEASE aren't noticable unless pointed out to us, like they are here.
Serebii
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby Totaldemon » 27 Nov 2012 16:23

what a way to spread negativity, the game its nice it looks better + additional content, if the game drops like 5 fps in combat is something that almost no one is going to notice and they are making a brutal drama about it, it has V-sync and more AA... for the love of god
Totaldemon
Fairy
Fairy

Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition sees slightly better f

Postby Frank » 27 Nov 2012 16:36

Here's the problem though, the Game of the Year edition was just on sale on Steam for £5 (in the UK), and then most people who were really interested will have bought it ages ago. I can't picture many people paying nearly £40 Wii U version at this point in time. My big worry is that, between this and Mass Effect, the 'hardcore games don't sell on Nintendo systems' wheels are set in motion for this gen too.
Frank
Fairy
Fairy

Postby ninjablaze » 27 Nov 2012 19:12

Serebii wrote:As I said there, I maintain that these MODS BAN ME PLEASE aren't noticable unless pointed out to us, like they are here.

Unless you've played both versions.

Totaldemon wrote:what a way to spread negativity, the game its nice it looks better + additional content, if the game drops like 5 fps in combat is something that almost no one is going to notice and they are making a brutal drama about it, it has V-sync and more AA... for the love of god

FPS drops are the most jarring in combat of all places. It's not a huge deal in just traversing from point a to b, in combat though it can actually have a tangible impact.

And they're not really screaming bloody murder or bashing the game or anything, digital foundry's job has always been to get experts together with the proper recording software and just state the raw facts about the performance between ports.
ninjablaze
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: Icyblaze_Ninja
3DS: 3308-4568-5088
Wii: too lazy to find it
PSN: IcyBlazeNinja
XBL: IcyBlaze Ninja

Postby kevynwight » 27 Nov 2012 22:00

I'm confused, a week or two ago it was clearly pointed out how the 360 has excellent anti-aliasing and the Wii U has none.

They showed the "Detective Mode" or something (I've never played the game) which surrounded Batman in a white outline, and it was clearly very jaggy on the Wii U and very smooth on the 360.

The whole "third parties will figure it out" may never happen. Precious few 2013 multiplats headed the Wii U's way (and a whole lot of high profile ones NOT), and after that I don't see it getting much love. It simply won't have the opportunity to shine as far as third parties.
kevynwight
Fairy
Fairy

Postby metalpants » 27 Nov 2012 22:09

Dat AA on Wii U is just mmmm.

Other than that, it's sad to hear that it has some inconsistent performance issues throughout... but hey, as someone who likes to see things with the glass half full, this spells great things for the future quality of Wii U titles. Having the ability to look this great at the very beginning of the cycle gives me a lot of hope for the system...
(>٭□٭)> Wii U
metalpants
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby kevynwight » 27 Nov 2012 22:14

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=190885

Re: Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition - graphics compari

Postby chris_the_wing » 18 Nov 2012 15:05
The Wii U version looks to be lacking any effective anti aliasing as can be seen on Batmans blocky outline in detective mode.

So what changed??
kevynwight
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Devil_Rising » 27 Nov 2012 23:30

I do certainly hope that the educated folks around here will finally, at some point, start to get the fact that most of any of these early port issues, have to do with "new console"-ness, and being rushed ports to boot, than it at all really reflects on the Wii U's hardware.

Then again, people love to be reactionary.

kevynwight wrote:I'm confused, a week or two ago it was clearly pointed out how the 360 has excellent anti-aliasing and the Wii U has none.

They showed the "Detective Mode" or something (I've never played the game) which surrounded Batman in a white outline, and it was clearly very jaggy on the Wii U and very smooth on the 360.

The whole "third parties will figure it out" may never happen. Precious few 2013 multiplats headed the Wii U's way (and a whole lot of high profile ones NOT), and after that I don't see it getting much love. It simply won't have the opportunity to shine as far as third parties.

Yes. And you know this because games haven't been officially announced yet obviously = NOT coming at all. Right?

Fairly sound logic.
Also featured at: http://thepunkeffect.com
Follow along on Twitter: @RetroRevelation
And Tumblr: retrorevelations.tumblr.com
Devil_Rising
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

NN ID: Godzilla1981
PSN: AwesomeFukenGuy

Postby Mewtaker » 27 Nov 2012 23:33

Devil_Rising wrote:I do certainly hope that the educated folks around here will finally, at some point, start to get the fact that most of any of these early port issues, have to do with "new console"-ness, and being rushed ports to boot, than it at all really reflects on the Wii U's hardware.

Then again, people love to be reactionary.

kevynwight wrote:I'm confused, a week or two ago it was clearly pointed out how the 360 has excellent anti-aliasing and the Wii U has none.

Yes. And you know this because games haven't been officially announced yet obviously = NOT coming at all. Right?

Fairly sound logic.

exactly...complainers gonna complain..
Mewtaker
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: xSinCarax

Postby ninjablaze » 27 Nov 2012 23:35

The 360 had more than its fair share of quick and dirty lazy port jobs of last gen games to make the launch of the console.
As lazy and unimpressive as those ports were, and as unfamiliar and "modern" (comparatively) as the 360's architecture was, there wasn't a single port that wasn't at least slightly/marginally better visually and performance-wise than it's last gen predecessor in every single conceivable way, despite those games coming out at the end of that last gen console's life cycle.

People didn't complain in 2005 about how the lazy rushed 360 ports were lacking somehow compared to their predecessors, and they weren't complimenting them because they looked the same despite being a launch game port of a late cycle last gen game, they complained because they didn't blow the predecessors out of the water visually and performance wise, as next gen system games traditionally did.
ninjablaze
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: Icyblaze_Ninja
3DS: 3308-4568-5088
Wii: too lazy to find it
PSN: IcyBlazeNinja
XBL: IcyBlaze Ninja

Postby kevynwight » 27 Nov 2012 23:44

Devil_Rising wrote:Yes. And you know this because games haven't been officially announced yet obviously = NOT coming at all. Right?
It is certainly looking like that. We have Project: Cars, Injustice, and Aliens as multi-platform games not yet out for 360 or PS3, that are headed to Wii U.

We have GTA V, Watch Dogs, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Dead Space 3, Max Payne 3, Bioshock Infinite, Dead Island, Anarchy Reigns, and Resident Evil Revelations that don't appear to be headed to the Wii U. I'll be pleasantly surprised if any of these get announced for Wii U, and even more pleasantly surprised if the ports meet or exceed the quality of the versions on the major platforms (besides the PC of course).
kevynwight
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Hamr » 28 Nov 2012 00:06

At least we have moved on from the 'Everyone who is disappointed with this launch line-up is crazy!' stage to the 'The games are kinda crappy only because they are launch titles! If we wait, they will get better!' stage.

Coming soon, the 'We don't need [insert third-party games here], anyway!' stage.

@Mewtaker

"exactly...complainers gonna complain.."

Yeah, why on earth would anyone complain about a game that has been out for over a year displaying demonstrable performance issues while running on hardware that is supposed to be better than what the game originally ran on? Clearly, we should be celebrating.
Hamr
Boo
Boo

Postby sonicspike41 » 28 Nov 2012 00:48

Totaldemon wrote:what a way to spread negativity, the game its nice it looks better + additional content, if the game drops like 5 fps in combat is something that almost no one is going to notice and they are making a brutal drama about it, it has V-sync and more AA... for the love of god
Digital Foundry wrote:However, the arrival of FXAA is something of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, high contrast edges are smoothed significantly - a welcome addition. Unfortunately, on the flipside, the additional blurring detracts from the quality of the artwork, with specular highlights in particular dulled significantly.

Oh, and the framerate drops to 18fps during combat, regularly holding around 20-24fps during combat. Even just exploring the city it can dip to 24fps or less. During smaller indoor scenes with less action it can randomly shoot up to 46fps. I wouldn't call a 30fps fluctuation in gameplay "something almost no one is going to notice", and 18fps can actually become almost unplayable in many games.
sonicspike41
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Devil_Rising » 28 Nov 2012 09:59

kevynwight wrote:It is certainly looking like that. We have Project: Cars, Injustice, and Aliens as multi-platform games not yet out for 360 or PS3, that are headed to Wii U.

We have GTA V, Watch Dogs, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Dead Space 3, Max Payne 3, Bioshock Infinite, Dead Island, Anarchy Reigns, and Resident Evil Revelations that don't appear to be headed to the Wii U. I'll be pleasantly surprised if any of these get announced for Wii U, and even more pleasantly surprised if the ports meet or exceed the quality of the versions on the major platforms (besides the PC of course).

First of all, many of those games started development quite awhile ago for the other consoles. Many developers didn't even get their dev kits for Wii U until about a year ago (as seems to be normal for most console releases), so some of those games may in fact find their way to Wii U, but haven't been announced as yet because if so, development isn't in the same stage. Some of them might NOT come to Wii U. No sweat off my back, in that case, as not a single one of those games looks interesting to me at all. I've seen Dead Island, it was less than impressive. RE: Revelations was a 3DS title, and not a great one at that, so why would I want it on Wii U?

But here are some 3rd party games that ARE coming to Wii U:

007 Legends
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Ghost Recon Online
Bayonetta 2 (exclusive)
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2
The Wonderful 101 (exclusive)
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Lego City Undercover (exclusive)
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2
Sacrilegium (multi-plat survival horror)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Rayman Legends (exclusive)
Dragon Quest X (exclusive)
next Battlefield (not 100% confirmed, but "probably")
Need for Speed Most Wanted (special Wii U edition)
Project CARS
"Project Nova" (unknown game by Vicarious Visions)
"Medium" (unknown project by Bloober Team)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms XII

And those are just what's confirmed right now. Companies like Ubisoft and Capcom both say they have other games in the works for Wii U that they just haven't officially announced yet. I see no reason to believe that isn't the case for many other publishers/developers. If Tekken Tag 2 is even a moderate success on Wii U, I see no reason, for example, why Namco wouldn't port Tekken x SF also. As for those other games you mentioned, who knows? But I don't see much reason why, for instance, GTA V wouldn't get a Wii U port, especially considering all the additional gameplay possibilities that the GamePad offers. I'm fairly confident, regardless, that you will see quite a few third party multi-plat. games announced for Wii U in the coming months.
Also featured at: http://thepunkeffect.com
Follow along on Twitter: @RetroRevelation
And Tumblr: retrorevelations.tumblr.com
Devil_Rising
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

NN ID: Godzilla1981
PSN: AwesomeFukenGuy

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion