Paper Mario Sticker Star - review

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Postby robometal cowboy » 30 Nov 2012 17:24

Click Here to View Story

A portion of a C3 review...

It does prove to be a satisfying enough adventure after becoming accustomed to the mix and match of gameplay styles included, but the back-tracking and frustrating limitations of the sticker battling system fail to impress. The whole package feels a bit 'lost and confused.' With this being the second deviation from the role-playing genre, and with the usual humour also surprisingly absent, all eyes turn to AlphaDream for a new, true RPG with Mario & Luigi 4.

Full review here
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Postby TheBitBlock » 30 Nov 2012 17:58

Too many reviewers are constantly refusing to accept this game for being something new and fresh and not just a cut & paste paper mario type experience.
TheBitBlock
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Johnknight1 » 30 Nov 2012 18:04

@TheBitBlock
After the letdown of Super Paper Mario went "astray" from the tried and true formula, I can't blame them. Quite frankly, from what I've seen of this game and heard from friends, this game pales in comparison to the 1st 2 Paper Mario games.
Johnknight1
Fairy
Fairy

Re: Paper Mario Sticker Star - review

Postby BaNGeR » 30 Nov 2012 19:52

"all eyes turn to AlphaDream for a new, true RPG with Mario & Luigi 4."

All eyes turn to Square-Enix for a new, true RPG with Super Mario RPG 2.*

fixed.

Say what you want, but IMO there hasn't been a true Mario RPG since the SNES.
BaNGeR
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Radiant » 30 Nov 2012 20:16

BaNGeR wrote:"all eyes turn to AlphaDream for a new, true RPG with Mario & Luigi 4."

fixed.

I've never understood the appeal of Super Mario RPG. I preferred Paper Mario and TTYD by a wide margin.

Anyway, I kind of figured this game would turn up disappointing. The instant I saw that we had to have individual stickers for each and every attack I began to grow worried. I really hate limiting systems like that. I have no idea why Nintendo keeps on trying to change this series when the original PM and TTYD worked so perfectly as they were.
Radiant
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: WoodwindsRock

Postby Zack » 30 Nov 2012 22:15

BaNGeR wrote:"all eyes turn to AlphaDream for a new, true RPG with Mario & Luigi 4."

fixed.

Beat me to it.

I would also add:

Super Mario RPG > Paper Mario > Lots of other stuff > Mario & Luigi
Personal Criticisms of/by Users on GoNintendo - A Study: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=115770
Zack
Goomba
Goomba

Postby BossBattles » 01 Dec 2012 02:07

Gamers and critics today are clueless morons. Nintendo offers up something totally innovative and fresh, and everyone stares blankly at it like idiots.

I hate gamers.
I can say what I want to.
Even if I'm not serious.
BossBattles
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Deep4t » 01 Dec 2012 07:21

TheBitBlock wrote:Too many reviewers are constantly refusing to accept this game for being something new and fresh and not just a cut & paste paper mario type experience.

being new and fresh isn't the problem, the reason why this game is basically getting trashed by fans and some reviewers is because the changes hinder the experience.
If the changes made the game better than the other PM games, no one would care.
Even SPM didn't get much hate in comparison because, whilst completly different, it kept the core concepts which made PM great.

Paper mario was called Mario STORY at one point...
Deep4t
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Dinmagic » 01 Dec 2012 17:39

BossBattles wrote:Gamers and critics today are clueless morons. Nintendo offers up something totally innovative and fresh, and everyone stares blankly at it like idiots.

I hate gamers.

Like Deep4t said. This is still a Paper Mario game, but what is being criticized is understandable. A fresh change can be a good thing, that is, if done right.
Dinmagic
Fairy
Fairy

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion