Former RARE dev shows interest in Wii U development, deta...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Former RARE dev shows interest in Wii U development, deta...

Postby robometal cowboy » 05 Dec 2012 16:24

Former RARE dev shows interest in Wii U development, details the Perfect Dark sequel that never happened
Click Here to View Story

A portion of an NES interview with former RARE dev and Gory Details' creator, Christopher Seavor...

NES: Would you ever consider porting your game to Wii U, PS Vita, or 3DS to take advantage of their touchscreen and tilt capabilities?

CS: Yep… Tablet and Smart Phones only at the moment… Although looking at the Wii U (as one of my tweeters pointed out last week), it definitely might have potential for the new controller… But only on their indie shop (eShop) thing, and not for while if we do decide to look into it… I’d rather start something new…

NES: You’ve been vocal about how you wish Conker’s Other Bad Day had been made. Is there any other specific Rare game that never had a sequel (other than Conker) that you would have loved to see a sequel for and why?

CS: Perfect Dark 1……. And no, I’m not being facetious. I was working on the sequel don’t forget and I know what it could have been.. Maybe one day someone will sneak the story doc online (I know I’m not the only one still holding a copy), and you guys can judge for yourselves if it was worth making. I think it would have been really good, not to blow my own trumpet, and set the game up for at least one follow up after that… In fact, the ending ‘required’ a follow up, as it was planned as a 2 game storyline with a cliffhanger at the end of the first. Here’s a teaser.. The Epilogue to part 1 had this title : ‘The Death Of Jo Dark ?’

Full interview here
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: Former RARE dev shows interest in Wii U development, det

Postby internet » 05 Dec 2012 16:27

please pretty please
internet
Boo
Boo

Former RARE dev shows interest in Wii U development, details

Postby Roth » 05 Dec 2012 16:36

Now that is quite interesting.. I do recall the concept arts for Perfect Dark Zero being cel-shaded style. It looked really nice, but never went through. It'd be nice if they brought it back in that style.
Follow me on Twitter
Roth
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: RothSothy (Steam too
3DS: 1118-1639-5657
Wii: 2646 0430 6265 2527
PSN: RSTrax
XBL: rothsothy

Postby rahnyc4 » 05 Dec 2012 17:41

if i was nintendo i'd scoop up as many indie small devs as i can, cause when xbox next and ps4 drops they arent going to get these kind of quality games as them. its gonna be the gamecube situation all over, so its best for nintendo to get as many indie and small companies as they can.
rahnyc4
Goomba
Goomba

Postby shingi70 » 05 Dec 2012 17:48

Hope they bring back Perfect Dark next gen even if Rare isn't developing it.

My vision for a perfect dark game would be to reboot the series. Keep the whole dark cyberpunk back drop from first level of the orginal and similar to the nightclub level of Zero.

Have it take place in a semi open world and take place under the back drop of industrial espionage between the Mega Coporations like DataDyne (the skedar and the Carrington Instiute would be background set up for a sequel or DLC). Have it be an FPS that plays like the old games (mutiple objectives) but throw in. Duex ex style mutiple ways of complete an objective and skill trees based on what style you like to play. Side quests take place in the city and the main story jumps between the city and more remote locations.
shingi70
Fairy
Fairy

Postby komicturtle92 » 05 Dec 2012 20:32

Microsoft should have never picked up RARE nor Nintendo sell it off. The franchises are being held hostage. And that trademark for Next-Killer Instinct went bust. MS could have easily thrown Master Chief and/or Marcus and that would have possibly generated more interest. Stupid of MS to turn Rare into a Kinect based studio. Not like there is much talent left.
komicturtle92
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: komicturtle
3DS: Ask me to add

Postby Garlador » 05 Dec 2012 23:07

How sad is it that Microsoft owns RARE and a MOUNTAIN of RARE'S quality IPs....

... and yet they've done NOTHING with them. No true Banjo-Kazooie, no new Conker, no new Blast Corps or Jet Force Gemini or Killer Instinct or Perfect Dark. They have, what, Grabbed by the Ghoulies?

In a just world, RARE would've kept making awesome games and Joanna Dark would be as famous as Lara Croft. Sadly, Microsoft turned them into a Kinect studio and my heart sinks every time I look at my Goldeneye N64 cartridge.
Garlador
Fairy
Fairy

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion