Pachter - No one will support Wii U, Nintendo to become i...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Pachter - No one will support Wii U, Nintendo to become i...

Postby robometal cowboy » 06 Dec 2012 17:11

Pachter - No one will support Wii U, Nintendo to become irrelevant, Call of Duty a failure
Click Here to View Story

The following comments come from Michael Pachter...

On future Wii U support...

“I think you're going to see now with the Wii U, notwithstanding its early launch support, nobody's going to support it. I don't think we're going to see every game on the Wii U next year. I think when next-gen consoles come out they're going to be better than the Wii U. Call of Duty is amazing on the Wii U this year. The problem with playing Call of Duty online is it's a community and if there's only four people playing it on the Wii U it's no fun. Nobody in their right mind would buy a Wii U and say 'I'm going to play Call of Duty.' That's like saying 'I gave up Facebook, and it's Google+ now'.”

On Call of Duty...

“Call of Duty, I'm calling it a failure. I know the game sells billions of dollars. Activision did a bad thing with Call of Duty from a profit perspective. They trained gamers that you can buy a game and play it all year, ten hours a week, forever, and you never have to pay again. You just wait for the next Call of Duty. I promise you there are plenty of people, numbering in the millions, who play one game, which is Call of Duty, and they never stop. That's just like the people who play World of Warcraft and never stop, yet the World of Warcraft guys are paying $180 a year, and the Call of Duty guys are paying $60. So who's got a better model? This multiplayer thing being free was a mistake. I don't think anybody ever envisioned it would be this big. It's a mistake because it keeps those people from buying and playing other games.”

On Nintendo stock and Nintendo becoming irrelevant...

“Nintendo's trading at about $3 billion of equity value; it was trading at about $80 billion. The market hates business models that start to show losses, and start to fail. Crappy little Riot Games, doing $150 million in revenue and wildly profitable, is worth a buttload more than Zynga, doing $1.1 billion and not making money. I think Nintendo becomes completely irrelevant. They have their niche, Nintendo's first-party content is great content, and hardcore people will keep buying their consoles, but they're not going to only play with Nintendo consoles.”

Full interview here
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Pachter - No one will support Wii U, Nintendo to become irre

Postby LegendofSantiago » 06 Dec 2012 17:12

Well his positive outlook for wii U didn't last long :lol:
edit: as for CoD: blops 2...didn't we hear that it sold better than MW3? In the same time frame?
obligatory:
Last edited by LegendofSantiago on 06 Dec 2012 17:38, edited 2 times in total.
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Re: Pachter - No one will support Wii U, Nintendo to become

Postby BanetheKira » 06 Dec 2012 17:13

Honestly, the only argument I agree with is his remark on CoD. The only reason CoD's still alive is because of its crap community, that and Treyarch actually being innovative.
BanetheKira
Fairy
Fairy

Postby ZeldaPrime » 06 Dec 2012 17:14

Translation: TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLL.LLOLOLOOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLLLOLOLKODINDNID ,NM ',skis.x,m,w,.doduxyx
ZeldaPrime
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: HaxerNova95
PSN: HaxorNova95
XBL: HaxorNova95

Postby nGen » 06 Dec 2012 17:19

You don't measure the Wii U success with Call of Duty. Zombii U is a better measure.
Any objections lady?
nGen
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

3DS: 1633-4277-3240
Wii: 8216060320213884

Postby Shaanyboi » 06 Dec 2012 17:19

....Eh.
Shaanyboi
Shyguy
Shyguy

XBL: Shaanyboi

Postby ZS » 06 Dec 2012 17:20

This week Nintendo is irrelevent.
Next week everyone will cry about how their IPs need to be on iOS.

This guy gets paid to say this kind of shovel. It truly blows my mind that he is able to get away with that.
ZS

Postby tnicks » 06 Dec 2012 17:21

Pachter is so short sided when it comes to consoles and their longevity. Saying that no one will support the WiiU after this year is extremely asinine. If this was true, PS2 wouldn't of had games still be made for it years after the PS3 came out. If there is enough people to creating a profitable market for a game to be released in, the game publishers will continue to support it. The WiiU will be less powerful than the new consoles, but saying no one will support it because of that, is just wrong. There are ways that the WiiU can fail, I just don't think lack of support will be one of them. I hope that Pachter will have to eat his words in a few years.

Why do I let this guy get to me, and how does he have a job?
tnicks
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: tnicks

Postby boxter432 » 06 Dec 2012 17:24

COD has COD elite, so there is payment for some people. I bought Blops 2, I sure as hell wouldn't have bought it if multiplayer was not free.

Good news is pachter is wrong on pretty much everything so read it as opposite for the actuals. Nintendo is fine, COD is good, and there will be decent support for Wii U
boxter432
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Mirai » 06 Dec 2012 17:24

Scum of the industry. He's only in it to monetize the games and gamers.
Mirai

Postby chris_the_wing » 06 Dec 2012 17:26

Removed by author
Last edited by chris_the_wing on 10 Dec 2012 21:19, edited 3 times in total.
chris_the_wing
Octorok
Octorok

Postby redhatdrawler » 06 Dec 2012 17:28

Blah, blah, blah...

If we didn't have blowhards like Pachter spelling doom and gloom in every outlet he can, maybe people wouldn't be so apt to believe him and actually think for themselves. Fact of the matter is, if you don't make games for a system then yes, no ones going to buy your games. You need to create a market and stop bitching at gamers for not buying your software when A) we don't even get said software and B) you give us crappy spinoffs, ports and on rail shooter versions of better products. Third parties started this ish and they're the only ones who can fix it.

There Pachter is that so hard to say? Can I have my check now?
redhatdrawler

Postby BelievingWolf » 06 Dec 2012 17:28

Alright, I've lost complete and utter respect for the man. He's saying the safe things, he's feeding the knee-jerk reactions so he can save his clients any cent he can. This is not a gaming visionary, he's not an entrepreneur. I'm seeing Wii U doing well for all the right reasons in the next few years, by being accessible and forthcoming whereas Microsoft and Sony want to DRM your life next. I don't want Windows 8 on my console. I don't like the rumor of Sony and Microsoft wanting to prevent me from selling my used games. And to call Call of Duty a failure? Holy hell, it made a billion dollars already!
BelievingWolf
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Mike_Intellivision » 06 Dec 2012 17:28

If the Xbox 720 has a game pad, will he Mr. "Facebook at $44 a share" eat his words?

Also, if Nintendo is irrelevant, what is Sony, which has a market cap two-thirds of Nintendo, according to data from Morningstar: http://quote.morningstar.com/Stock/s.aspx?t=NTDOY and http://quote.morningstar.com/stock/s.aspx?t=SNE

The only place Nintendo is irrelevant is charging people extra -- which is the conference where Pachter was speaking.

Also, I would not be surprised if Nintendo decided to start buying -- or have their pal Google help buy -- some studios.

Mike from Morgantown
Last edited by Mike_Intellivision on 06 Dec 2012 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
Mike from Morgantown

(PM me if younwould like to be WiiU friends .
... I know that sounds strange at best but I am looking to fill out my friends list.)
Mike_Intellivision
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: Mike_INTV
Wii: 1624-6601-1126-1492

Postby speedychu » 06 Dec 2012 17:31

This means that the opposite is going to happen :p
speedychu
Fairy
Fairy

Postby huupawel » 06 Dec 2012 17:32

comparing Wii U with Black Ops Multiplayer is irrelevant, comparing World Of Warcraf with Call Of Duty is irrelevant, Comparing Zynga with Nintendo is also irrelevant. Patcher is irrelevant.
huupawel
Fairy
Fairy

Postby IINIGMA » 06 Dec 2012 17:33

Maybe CoD has so many fans BECAUSE it doesn't charge them to play online. Ever think of that Pachter? I know that if they charged me I'd simply find another game to play and they wouldn't get a sale from me. I can't be the only one that feels that way.

Also, there are about 1,000 people online at night now... not 4 lol.
IINIGMA

Postby changer1701 » 06 Dec 2012 17:40

The scorn heaped on Nintendo from so-called analysts and journalists alike is just remarkable. They were supposedly done after the 'Cube...the DS was supposed to be blown out of the water by the PSP...the Wii was a joke...etc, etc. The perception around Ninty that these people insist on feeding is the company's biggest problem, in my opinion. It's awfully hard to combat these prophecies being bandied about, especially when it seems like some want them to be self-fulfilling.

Sadder still, of course, is the idea that Nintendo should be taking part in the massive arms race between MS and Sony, even though they've shown time and again it's about the gaming experience, and the games themselves. What good would it do Nintendo to release something more advanced than the next Xbox, when they would be pricing themselves out of a market they've helped grow and nurture while not being any closer to capturing hardcore gaming hearts? No one, STILL, seems to get that Nintendo is offering something different, and that is what sets them apart. They'd truly be doomed if they just followed the other guys.
changer1701
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby mrntmntrl » 06 Dec 2012 17:45

Will somebody stop paying attention to what this jerk says? Who cares, really?
mrntmntrl
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: mrtnmntrl
3DS: 3823-8533-7087
Wii: 4405569294155340
PSN: mrtnmntrl

Postby gatorboi352 » 06 Dec 2012 17:47

BanetheKira wrote:Honestly, the only argument I agree with is his remark on CoD. The only reason CoD's still alive is because of its crap community, that and Treyarch actually being innovative.

"Nobody in their right mind would buy a Wii U and say 'I'm going to play Call of Duty.'"

I did exactly that. Bought a Wii U, bought BLOPS2.
gatorboi352
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: gatorboi352
Wii: 6358 4960 5851 8155

Postby zombiedsz » 06 Dec 2012 17:52

stop making pachter relevant, he's wrong most of the time and the media loves him for his doom and gloom outlooks. Nintendo isn't going anywhere and neither is Call of Duty. seriously? he calls a franchise that made a BILLION dollars in 15 days a "failure". also take note, he thinks companies should be charging for multiplayer...
zombiedsz
Fairy
Fairy

Postby iiJcMii » 06 Dec 2012 17:54

I really have no feeling towards this guy anymore, and could care if he died. He's not even amusing anymore. Plus, I feel the complete opposite of what he said is going to happen. Game companys are going to support Wii U more then the other consoles, and Call of Duty will get bigger (if thats even possible)
iiJcMii
Fairy
Fairy

Postby LOLDSFAN » 06 Dec 2012 17:54

What's wrong with Google+? That place is awesome.

Facebook on the other hand is filled with people who complain waaaay too much and are highly passive aggressive.
LOLDSFAN
Fairy
Fairy

Postby lockNES » 06 Dec 2012 18:01

So he's basing his whole change in attitude a few weeks after the consoles launch and claiming the Wii U won't get any support solely because of how many people are playing CoD online? That's like saying, "Not every single person quit Facebook to play social games on Google+ so now Google is doomed."
"Call of Duty, I'm calling it a failure. I know the game sells billions of dollars."

At least, he acknowledges that his bold claim sounds ridiculous to anyone that knows how successful the franchise has been for them. It makes it funnier that he justifies it with such a flimsy premise that can basically be discredited by saying, "Apples and oranges."

His last paragraph doesn't even make sense if you just compare what he was saying to how the market viewed Nintendo in the Gamecube days when it was still making nice profits despite it's lackluster sales.
lockNES
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Hinph » 06 Dec 2012 18:07

Blizzard can justify a subscription fee for an MMO that they are constantly tweaking and adding content to that runs on a dedicated server.

Activision cannot justify a subscription fee for CoD without being blatantly greedy and shady. They should be thrilled that millions of people will pay that $60/year, and that is the end of it.

Nintendo... it's always the same doom and gloom with Nintendo, yet their software continues to dominate the worldwide sales charts like always. Curious...
Hinph
Chocobo
Chocobo

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion