Nintendo says your Nintendo Network ID can be transferred...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Nintendo says your Nintendo Network ID can be transferred...

Postby robometal cowboy » 11 Dec 2012 15:16

Nintendo says your Nintendo Network ID can be transferred to another Wii U...except when it can't
Click Here to View Story

We've already heard that your NNID can be transferred to a new Wii U by Nintendo. Nintendo has once again released a statement on the matter.

"Nintendo of America's repair process includes the transferring of the Nintendo Network ID to a new Wii U console if a replacement system is needed."

If that's the case, why are people being told that they can't have their NNID transferred? A Nintendo UK customer service rep repeatedly told one customer that they have no means of transferring an NNID. So is this some sort of mistake with the customer service rep? Can the transfer only happen in the states? Why is there confusion over this when the answer should be quite simple?

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Nintendo says your Nintendo Network ID can be transferred to

Postby SuperNictendo » 11 Dec 2012 15:20

Good ol' Nintendo. Always confusing, never giving answers
Will smith as Fox McCloud and Bruce Willis as Luke Skywalker in Star Fox vs Rogue Squadron: The Movie!!
X Y Safari is Psychic: Grumpig, Sigilyph and Girafarig
SuperNictendo
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: SuperNictendo
3DS: 1118 0218 6083

Re: Nintendo says your Nintendo Network ID can be transferre

Postby gtt » 11 Dec 2012 15:23

why is it anymore complicated than 'turn on new wiiu', 'log in with nnid'.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby Shaanyboi » 11 Dec 2012 15:28

Nintendo still doesn't apparently understand how accounts on the internet work. They're worse than my f***ing parents...
Shaanyboi
Goomba
Goomba

XBL: Shaanyboi

Postby Edsanji » 11 Dec 2012 15:33

That is why the Wii U is gonna fail... I feel very bad for Nintendo....
PSN: Edsanji
3DS FC: way too long to remember it....
Wii FC: Why some will need that?
Edsanji
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: Edsanji
PSN: Edsanji

Postby bszelda » 11 Dec 2012 15:34

Poor internet implementation will be the end to Nintendo if they don't get their sh*t straight soon...
bszelda
Chocobo
Chocobo

XBL: SlayerElite18

Postby kdognumba1 » 11 Dec 2012 15:41

Why is this so hard for them? Seriously, this isn't rocket science....
kdognumba1
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: kdog254
3DS: 1676-3698-5986
Wii: 5726-8719-5929-3614
PSN: jotaroxtreme
XBL: kdog254

Postby gtt » 11 Dec 2012 15:57

kdognumba1 wrote:Why is this so hard for them? Seriously, this isn't rocket science....

because this is what they want. They are so afraid of piracy, they are willing to put us through this garbage.

what they refuse to acknowledge is that piracy is going to happen anyway, the only people bullshit like this bothers is people like me and you who buy games from them.

They also believe that by keeping prices high they 'preserve the value' of their games. Nintendo, at a very basic cultural level, does not understand digital distribution, or the internet.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby ButtonBash » 11 Dec 2012 15:59

Need to fix this at once. It's silly having an account system that's still tied to a console.

I love the 360 for this. I have multiple areas where my profile is stored. Outside my main home console, the others require a password (cause that's how I set it up). Same deal here already for that.

I want to go over a mate's and play a download game? No worries! I go over, log in, download and play. Unless they've bought it too, it only allows it to be played when I'm signed in. Easy. For the original console, it lets anyone play there as a bonus. Also easy.

It shouldn't be this hard for NNIDs!
ButtonBash
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: ButtonBash
Steam ID: ButtonBashAU
XBL: ButtonBash

Postby MoldyClay » 11 Dec 2012 16:04

@gtt

This. Millions of times.
MoldyClay
Plumber
Plumber

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby M1 » 11 Dec 2012 16:17

MoldyClay wrote:@gtt

This. Millions of times.

Actually the whole piracy/gaming sharing hurt Sony a lot on PS3 and PSP due to the original lax PSN rules.

Originally you were able to have 5 PS3s on your PSN account and 3 PSPs, tons of gamers shared accounts to avoid paying for games on PSN.

Users tried to do the same on 360 until Microsoft started bricking their consoles over it.

Thanks to ramped piracy and lost sales due to game sharing, you can expect extreme measures on all next gen consoles.

Vita already locked all your memory cards/system to one PSN account to prevent you from doing game sharing.
PS4 and Xbox 720 will probably follow suit, to please publishers and developers.
M1 is no more...
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby ecco6t9 » 11 Dec 2012 16:17

Sounds like a problem with Nintendo of Europe, my guess is that it can't be moved if you take your Wii U to another country.
ecco6t9
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 11 Dec 2012 16:27

@M1 This.

The gaming / world is a very different landscape than it was when last gen started - since then there's been the major hacking scandals with the HD Twins, the rise of the Anonymous group, DRM, the global recession etc.

Anyone expecting 100% the likes of BC, No Region Locks and Multiple Accounts on the PS4 and X-Box 8 might be in for a rude awakening...
Chosenoneknuckles
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Chosenoneknux
3DS: 1590-4669-5649

Postby M1 » 11 Dec 2012 16:34

@Chosenoneknuckles

I was referring to game sharing mostly.
M1 is no more...
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby gtt » 11 Dec 2012 16:34

Chosenoneknuckles wrote:@M1 This.

The gaming / world is a very different landscape than it was when last gen started - since then there's been the major hacking scandals with the HD Twins, the rise of the Anonymous group, DRM, the global recession etc.

Anyone expecting 100% the likes of BC, No Region Locks and Multiple Accounts on the PS4 and X-Box 8 might be in for a rude awakening...

if you think sony/ms or anyone is going to do it like nintendo does, where your hardware is your account, then I have a bridge to sell you.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby M1 » 11 Dec 2012 16:38

gtt wrote:

if you think sony/ms or anyone is going to do it like nintendo does, where your hardware is your account, then I have a bridge to sell you.

We will meet you here at the end of 2013 to see who wins out.

Seriously see Vita for Sony's future PSN plans.
You get two Vitas on your PSN account, if you want a third Vita you must do a system format of one of the other Vita and its memory cards.

But no one is going after Sony over it...

I can see Microsoft charging you a fee and/or limiting the number of Xbox 720s you can use with your XBL account.
M1 is no more...
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Mango_Magician » 11 Dec 2012 16:44

I'm confused...if you can transfer your account to a new system if the old one breaks, then isn't that enough?
Mango_Magician
Fairy
Fairy

Postby M1 » 11 Dec 2012 16:48

Mango_Magician wrote:I'm confused...if you can transfer your account to a new system if the old one breaks, then isn't that enough?

They want the ability to have multiple Wii U's using one eShop account so they can have all those games on multiple Wii Us.

Essentially they are either cheap, free loaders and/or have a strong sense of entitlement.
M1 is no more...
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby KingBroly » 11 Dec 2012 16:49

It's obvious: They don't want you to sell your system.
Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention
Sakamoto Lied. Samus Died.
I write things here from time to time
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: KingBroly
3DS: 3351-4164-6416
Steam ID: KingBroly
Wii: 8135-0917-9758-1594
PSN: KingBroly
XBL: KingBroly

Postby gtt » 11 Dec 2012 16:55

M1 wrote:
gtt wrote:

We will meet you here at the end of 2013 to see who wins out.

Seriously see Vita for Sony's future PSN plans.
You get two Vitas on your PSN account, if you want a third Vita you must do a system format of one of the other Vita and its memory cards.

But no one is going after Sony over it...

I can see Microsoft charging you a fee and/or limiting the number of Xbox 720s you can use with your XBL account.

the account is still portable. you don't have to send in your system to sony to have them log in your account on new hardware.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby M1 » 11 Dec 2012 16:59

gtt wrote:
the account is still portable. you don't have to send in your system to sony to have them log in your account on new hardware.

Not yet you don't.

Nintendo will probably loosen the reigns in time and do something similar to Steam where you have to confirm your email and punch in the code they send to activate another computer.

Though if piracy and hacking takes off with Wii U, Nintendo will probably stick to a more strict view of accounts.
M1 is no more...
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Mango_Magician » 11 Dec 2012 17:02

M1 wrote:
Mango_Magician wrote:I'm confused...if you can transfer your account to a new system if the old one breaks, then isn't that enough?

They want the ability to have multiple Wii U's using one eShop account so they can have all those games on multiple Wii Us.

Essentially they are either cheap, free loaders and/or have a strong sense of entitlement.

I actually agree. I've heard people complain and say they want to have the ability to play games they've downloaded on any Wii U anywere, but that dosen't make any sense...is carrying a, at most, 3 pound system really all that hard?

(Also I love my Wii U I'm typing from it!)
Mango_Magician
Fairy
Fairy

Postby M1 » 11 Dec 2012 17:04

Mango_Magician wrote:
M1 wrote:

I actually agree. I've heard people complain and say they want to have the ability to play games they've downloaded on any Wii U anywere, but that dosen't make any sense...is carrying a, at most, 3 pound system really all that hard?

(Also I love my Wii U I'm typing from it!)

Well Steam lets you do 5 PCs/Macs
Sony lets you do 3 PS3s and 2 PSP/Vitas
Microsoft I'm not sure what their new terms are.
M1 is no more...
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby LSF22 » 11 Dec 2012 17:25

for now this doesn't bother me too much. my friends don't seem to have an interest in buying the WiiU so i need to bring mine over when i go. the only issue would be if my WiiU died and i needed a replacement. even then, it doesnt seem to be a big deal to have Nintendo do the transfer. its better than nothing.
LSF22
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: LionsFan
XBL: xxLSF22xx

Postby gtt » 11 Dec 2012 17:39

M1 wrote:Well Steam lets you do 5 PCs/Macs
Sony lets you do 3 PS3s and 2 PSP/Vitas
Microsoft I'm not sure what their new terms are.

steam has zero limit. You can log into, and install your games on as many devices you want. unless the specific shovel publishers prevent it on their specific game.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion