GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - Are Wii U loading times...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - Are Wii U loading times...

Postby robometal cowboy » 12 Dec 2012 05:45

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - Are Wii U loading times bothering you?
Click Here to View Story

Pretty sure I have a sinus infection. All the symptoms match up. Time for me to get a humidifier and kick this thing's ass! I'm tired of sounding like I'm talking with a bubble in my throat. The road to good health starts tomorrow! See you in a few, short hours.

I like to think that I'm a pretty patient, easy-going guy. I make it a point to not let things get to me. There's plenty to be legitimately upset about out there, but there are millions of other things that are just minor annoyances. I take them as they come, take a deep breath and move past them.

That applies to all areas in my life, so I guess it's part of my experience with the Wii U as well. Yes, I have noticed that the Wii U loading times aren't exactly the best. I'm aware that it may take 20 secs or more to get from one screen to another. I also understand that this is not optimal by any means.

Personally, this menu shift time doesn't really bug me that much. With that said, I do understand how it irks people. You want to sit down and play a game, not sit down and wait to shift through menus. Little frustrations like these can add up and quickly sour an overall experience, creating an invisible barrier for entry that's hard to break down.

I thought I'd ask you guys and gals about the loading times on Wii U. How much do you find them to be a bother? Do they really get your blood boiling, or is it simply something you'd like to see sped up a bit? Could you live with things if the speeds stayed as they are for the rest of the system's life? Leave a comment and fill us in.
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - Are Wii U loading time

Postby Koopzilla » 12 Dec 2012 05:50

I don't have a WiiU yet, but I have watched some videos of the load times. They do seem to be pretty long, but not really too much more than I would expect from a program starting up. I don't think it would bother me that bad, I lived through the original Playstation, so I can definitely live with this.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

NN ID: Koopzilla
3DS: 2793-0595-9972

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - Are Wii U loading times bo

Postby SullyTheStrange » 12 Dec 2012 05:51

It... mildly annoys me, I guess. I'd be happier if the load times were gone, but I won't kill anyone if they stay this way forever.

Okay, I PROBABLY won't.
SullyTheStrange

Postby joshb1983 » 12 Dec 2012 05:55

It doesn't bother me any more. I lived with Dial-up until about 8 months ago. I'm used to MUCH longer loading times.
joshb1983
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Roth » 12 Dec 2012 06:05

Sometimes they do, but not really to the point that it gets frustrating or anything. Sometimes I just wish they would speed up the unnecessary animations in-between transitions or maybe get rid of them completely to save some load times. I know they don't have many people working on the UI, so I suggest they hire some good programmers that can help optimize and update the Wii U software to make it a bit more snappy and quicker. Same with the 3DS! My smartphones are way faster, especially my Nokia Lumia 800 (Windows Phone), and they're only single core processor. Oh, and I hope taking video calls while in-game/in-app (better multi-tasking) is still coming. Let's put that Espresso to use!

// Roth
Last edited by Roth on 12 Dec 2012 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter
Roth
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: RothSothy (Steam too
3DS: 1118-1639-5657
Wii: 2646 0430 6265 2527
PSN: RSTrax
XBL: rothsothy

Postby LordRoto » 12 Dec 2012 06:19

Doesn't bother me at all, and they shouldn't. People are so impatient these days. It's not that long. If the barely a minute load time bothers people, their priorities need some re-examining. No offence, but suck it up
LordRoto
Octorok
Octorok

Postby wiiarebrothers » 12 Dec 2012 06:20

Not only are they frustrating, but if things improved, people would even more use Miiverse, and the friendlist. As it is, sometimes I want to go to Miiverse while playing, but I don't. Because of the loading times, the experience is not seamless, and feels totally disconnected from the game. They need to fix this ASAP.
wiiarebrothers
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: wiiarebrothers
3DS: 3866-7995-7423
Wii: 2865-2186-3272-4357

Postby Sylverstone14 » 12 Dec 2012 06:27

I'm very patient, actually.

There will only be a few times where it'll be almost abnormal, and if there's an issue, I'll just reboot the console. It has reduced since the update, but as time goes along, I expect them to be shorter.

The only thing that I wish to be tweaked is the way how you get to Wii U Chat for a call - you go into the Wii U Menu, then you go into Wii U Chat and then answer. People can only wait for so long before they just hang up.
Sylverstone14
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: Sylverstone14
Steam ID: Sylverstone14

Postby Pemicope » 12 Dec 2012 06:29

I'm not bothered at all with the loading times. I'm surprised to see so much talk about this!
Nintendo Forever!
Pemicope
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: Pemicope

Postby NINTENDOGAMER17 » 12 Dec 2012 06:31

wiiarebrothers wrote:Not only are they frustrating, but if things improved, people would even more use Miiverse, and the friendlist. As it is, sometimes I want to go to Miiverse while playing, but I don't. Because of the loading times, the experience is not seamless, and feels totally disconnected from the game. They need to fix this ASAP.

This.
NINTENDOGAMER17

Postby MatrosRx » 12 Dec 2012 06:34

I'm not really bothered by them. When I sit down to game, I tend to be relaxed and not in a rush. And I've experienced load screens in my PC games that take about the same amount time between levels. So meh.
MatrosRx
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: TanukiTrooper
3DS: 2492-4138-8071
Wii: 7579-9260-6973-1239
PSN: MatrosRx

Postby MoldyClay » 12 Dec 2012 06:53

I still don't have a Wii U, but since I have recently played the infamous Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 (even getting S Ranks on all of Sonic's town missions and a few story levels), I would like to think that no loading time can ever bother me again.

Nothing will ever be as bad as the loading in that.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby zyxion1 » 12 Dec 2012 06:53

I have 7 games on my Wii U so far. Some are a bit faster than others. While some are a bit lengthy but its not a deal breaker I'm not in that big of a hurry; its nothing an update can't fix.
Non Specific Action Figure is my HERO!
zyxion1
Flicky
Flicky

3DS: 2019-9664-4648
Wii: 8339-2401-8307-3297

Postby monkeymagic » 12 Dec 2012 07:13

With 1Gb of system RAM dedicated to the OS, I just don't see how the long loading times exist. This is especially true considering how much Nintendo themselves go to great lengths to minimize loading times in their games.

I get the impression that the OS was rushed (hence the day 1 install) and they have simply not had time to optimize it. I really hope this changes as it seems an unnecessary frustration for WiiU owners.
monkeymagic
Fairy
Fairy

Postby ArchedThunder » 12 Dec 2012 07:19

The time it takes to do anything in the system menu annoys me, loading times in games don't.
ArchedThunder
Fairy
Fairy

Postby ridleysaria » 12 Dec 2012 07:28

I don't think it bothers me as much as it worries me. Perhaps Nintendo will optimize things and it'll be a different story a year from now, but what if they can't?

Maybe it won't matter.... I don't plan to play many 3rd party titles on this thing and how many exclusives does Nintendo put out in a year, even at the best of times? Tragically, Nintendo's consoles are a supplement to my serious game systems.
Mighty No. 6978
ridleysaria
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: RidleySaria
3DS: 2664-2118-8366
Steam ID: ridleysaria
PSN: RidleySaria

Postby lockNES » 12 Dec 2012 07:34

Certain OS stuff takes a while and other things are a bit more zippy. I think what makes it seem worse to me is that I want to be able to do more stuff with on the Wii U like jump from a game to the internet to Miiverse and the more I'm navigating, the more screens there are to potentially load and the more likely I am going to notice it. On average there are few things that really take enough time where I get annoyed but just to do something I'm more likely to do often, such as jumping from a game to Miiverse or the Internet, loading the Home menu, then loading the app, then loading each page as you navigate around, it adds up and that is enough to sometimes discourage me from just browsing around.

Load times are probably similar to the 3DS but I don't often use the internet because it's really slow and I am almost completely discouraged from using Swapnote or even just checking Nintendo video for fun because of how long it takes to load. With playing games, I know what to expect, and it actually accesses the home menu quicker than the Wii U but part of the benefit of the system was to use the 3DS more often for more apps than just running games like the Wii U, I'd probably be more bothered with it.

It's perplexing to say the least that so much is as slow as it is at the moment so hopefully Nintendo is able to optimize it all some more in the future. I haven't seen comparisons online or any one really testing out times for different functions for how to get speed increases but I was trying to download NE3:RE from the eShop and it was took like 45 minutes to get 5%. I deleted it and unplugged my HDD and had it download to the memory in the Wii U (which saves to the USB drive by default and you can't choose where to save it when you start downloading it, oddly) and it seemed to go quite a bit faster (although still going really slow) getting at least twice that in the same amount of time. I'd assume you'd be able to get some speed benefits from running games off a hard drive (although the optical drive already gets better read speeds than the PS3 Blu-ray and it's similar to what you can transfer with USB 2.0. It would be cool to see some numbers but I haven't found anything like that yet. If I could get some actual increases (like I could get from installing a 360 game on my HDD instead of running it from a disc), I might even be willing to sell the games I have on disc and rebuy them digitally.
lockNES
Fairy
Fairy

Postby kevynwight » 12 Dec 2012 07:45

joshb1983 wrote:It doesn't bother me any more. I lived with Dial-up until about 8 months ago. I'm used to MUCH longer loading times.
Dang! I lived with dial-up until 159 months ago. My current fiber is as much of a leap in speed (in terms of multiples) over my first DSL as my first DSL was over dial-up. You're a patient person.

Anyway, some of the load times are discouraging, by which I mean they discourage moving between things. It feels sticky and clunky.

I spend a good part of my working career waiting for computers to do something. Querying databases, running various canned application reports, waiting for network connections, MSTSCing into dreadfully slow remote displays, etc. Multitasking just means not twiddling your thumbs while this system takes its time and instead getting two or three or more systems taking their time simultaneously in a round-robin. It's funny because I recently attended a TED-style talk about how computer and network connectivity speeds have advanced to a point where now the bottleneck is the human interaction / interface / input / decision matrix. From where I'm sitting the computers are still F-ing slow in a variety of soul-bashing ways.

So I want my home entertainment options to be fast. It hacks me off when FIOS exhibits its command delay or load times, or when my i7 8GB Windows 7 machine lags and times out, or when my new $350 8th-generation game console is delayed by 20 seconds just going back to the previous menu.

Of course, with the new reductive "First World Problems" meme, pretty much anyone in this thread who isn't on the side of "it doesn't bother me" can be easily lowered to the level of an over-priveleged whiny baby.
kevynwight
Fairy
Fairy

Postby jesse himself » 12 Dec 2012 07:54

more bothered by the gamepad battery
jesse himself
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: SoulSurfer
3DS: 5155-3098-3001
PSN: daifukukid

Postby t27duck » 12 Dec 2012 08:04

The MiiVerse "app" is a glorified web browser and web site. No excuse for it taking long to load.

Once again, Nintendo just doesn't "get it".
I'm available, ladies!!!
t27duck
Keymaster
Keymaster

3DS: 068853513150
XBL: t527duck

Postby WesFX » 12 Dec 2012 08:09

I've stopped noticing. Seems very normal in hindsight.

Maybe it's the different presentation that makes it seem different?
WesFX
Boo
Boo

NN ID: WesFX7
Wii: 5451 3702 0833 3757

Postby kevynwight » 12 Dec 2012 08:25

jesse himself wrote:more bothered by the gamepad battery
I turned off rumble, play with the sound muted if I'm playing on the TV, and use "power saving mode" and brightness=1 and also sit quite close to the Wii U transmitter and get double the battery life. Plus I'm close enough to two separate power outlets. Then there's the Nyko battery pack as well as the USB charger coming soon for more options.
kevynwight
Fairy
Fairy

Postby kartmaster » 12 Dec 2012 09:03

I guess I'm getting used to it. But I just find it hard to believe in 2012 on a dedicated device we're getting load times beyond a couple seconds. Nintendo touted how a good portion of system resources were dedicated strictly to the OS... maybe they should have dedicated more?

People are used to using apps on phones and tablets now, and I think that's the kind of experience they're going to expect going in. I know I was. When I first launched the Miiverse and waited, and waited, started to wonder if there was something wrong with my system, waited... Then went back to the Wii U Menu and waited... and waited...

It sure didn't feel like a brand new system. Felt like an 8 year old computer.
Gaming Dad
kartmaster
Goomba
Goomba

Postby kevinxnelms » 12 Dec 2012 09:09

I remember thinking it was pretty abnormal when the system first launched. Either I've gotten used to it or that firmware update made a world of difference.

I tend to not really complain unless the loading takes so long that I have time to go use the bathroom while I wait. I feel like that's pushing it.
kevinxnelms
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: CriticalCrow

Postby marsbarrow » 12 Dec 2012 09:14

Overall the "load times" aren't terrible on the Wii U but I expected them to be a little quicker. However all of the transitions from application to application within the OS are totally uncalled for. I see no reason why most of these applications can't just stay in memory at all times if there's 1GB dedicated to the OS. Look at the iPad for example. I know it's a completely different system, but with less RAM you can jump from app to app to app, and even into the store with ease. Nintendo really does need to hire some programmers that can take advantage of the hardware.
marsbarrow
Chocobo
Chocobo

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion