The sad story of Eternal Darkness 2

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Postby robometal cowboy » 12 Dec 2012 17:13

Click Here to View Story

Eternal Darkness 2 was indeed a project at some point. Unfortunately, it seems that Silicon Knights was forced to can the project due to a number of issues, both internally and externally. If you can stomach the sad story, hit up the link below to learn all we know on the game that'll never be.

You'll also get a look at other Silicon Knights games that started life on other Nintendo platforms, only to see release on future Nintendo or competitor's platforms.

Feature here
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Postby enigmaxtreme » 12 Dec 2012 17:23

Nintendo needs to buy the Eternal Darkness rights outright and give it to a developer that can really RUN with it....someone like....and I'm just spitballing here....

Frictional Games?
enigmaxtreme
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: enigmaxtreme316

Re: The sad story of Eternal Darkness 2

Postby CCFanboy » 12 Dec 2012 17:47

My two cents. Nintendo already partly own it. Otherwise it wouldn't be them renewing the rights. It could be one of these legal hurdles hindering it. I guess I will never know.

But nintendo must get some kind of say in this or they wouldn't be renewing the trademark. SK would. There have been stories of this "we have the rights of course we do" throughout all types of media. Then you wake up and see reality. There are only two possible ways eternal darkness 2 could have been in development for other systems.

1. Silicon knights assumed they had control and nintendo could do nothing about it.
2. It was some kind of 'spiritual successor' which had elements of what would have been planned in ed2 minus gameplay features and released under a new name.

I suspect this whole thing has been halted because of legal issues sk ran into.
CCFanboy
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Talladega Knight » 12 Dec 2012 17:51

Nintendo does own the rights to eternal darkness.
Talladega Knight
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Hinph » 12 Dec 2012 17:55

TLDR: Were absolute fools to abandon Nintendo... absolute fools.
Hinph
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Frank » 12 Dec 2012 18:01

CCFanboy wrote:I suspect this whole thing has been halted because of legal issues sk ran into.

If you mean the legal issues SK had with Epic, then yes. I'm not sure 100% where they stand on the ED license, but the far bigger problem is that they have no more than five people on the staff and owe more than ten million dollars.

There's a rumour mentioned in this article that SK was working on ED with some input from Nintendo, but since the Epic lawsuit basically slapped an extra ten million on top of the project that Nintendo would have to bail out to keep it going, they pulled out. Very similar to what happened to Factor 5.
Frank
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 12 Dec 2012 19:45

No ED2... EVER. TS4 and a Shenmue HD Collection [and or III] still in Limbo...

My soul hurts... :cry:
Chosenoneknuckles
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Chosenoneknux
3DS: 1590-4669-5649

Postby metalpants » 12 Dec 2012 22:20

Wow... I didn't think Denis Dyack was such a selfish, classless jerk. Silicon Knights' death is pretty much his own fault (or whoever was giving him advice). Man... I really used to appreciate that studio... :/......
(>٭□٭)> Wii U
metalpants
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Noxide » 12 Dec 2012 22:52

metalpants wrote:Wow... I didn't think Denis Dyack was such a selfish, classless jerk. Silicon Knights' death is pretty much his own fault (or whoever was giving him advice). Man... I really used to appreciate that studio... :/......

Denis really is terrible but that studio should not be felt with the same anger It's not the studio's fault, the staffers like Ryan Vandenyck seemed pretty level headed but were lead by the foolish ego of a man who felt his work and personal goals were top priority and should share no fault for the shortcomings that followed. I mean just by reading Denis's comments during his partnership with Nintendo to when he broke up with them once the Wii came out you could tell he was getting full of himself, in fact I'm positive it was Too Human that made him separate SK from Nintendo. Too Human was in development for the Game Cube but I'm assuming Nintendo didn't like what they were seeing and probably either wanted to see some changes or just didn't want to be involved with that game, (something very normal for most studios just look at retro's cancelled projects).

I bet that after Denis's recent success made him arrogant with whatever criticism Nintendo had with Too Human and thus he wanted go off on his own. This is a good read for anyone and a cautionary tale if you plan to get in the game business, I really hope future developers an take a lesson from this.
I really just don't care as long as it's orange.
Noxide
Fairy
Fairy

Postby metalpants » 12 Dec 2012 23:03

Noxide wrote:
metalpants wrote:Wow... I didn't think Denis Dyack was such a selfish, classless jerk. Silicon Knights' death is pretty much his own fault (or whoever was giving him advice). Man... I really used to appreciate that studio... :/......

Denis really is terrible but that studio should not be felt with the same anger It's not the studio's fault, the staffers like Ryan Vandenyck seemed pretty level headed but were lead by the foolish ego of a man who felt his work and personal goals were top priority and should share no fault for the shortcomings that followed. I mean just by reading Denis's comments during his partnership with Nintendo to when he broke up with them once the Wii came out you could tell he was getting full of himself, in fact I'm positive it was Too Human that made him separate SK from Nintendo. Too Human was in development for the Game Cube but I'm assuming Nintendo didn't like what they were seeing and probably either wanted to see some changes or just didn't want to be involved with that game, (something very normal for most studios just look at retro's cancelled projects).

I bet that after Denis's recent success made him arrogant with whatever criticism Nintendo had with Too Human and thus he wanted go off on his own. This is a good read for anyone and a cautionary tale if you plan to get in the game business, I really hope future developers an take a lesson from this.

I agree. It's sad to see how the entire studio got dissolved due to Dyack's arrogance. But they left Nintendo's side because they felt Wii was too weak to handle what they had in mind for Too Human (I read that part on the link :P).

The lawsuit from Epic was also Dyack's fault. He decided to blame Epic when things didn't look right (while still using their engine to make games) and burned himself in the end. When the lawsuit failed, they had to delete EVERY single file of game development made with Unreal Engine 3.

Nintendo couldn't bail them out of this one, or so Dyack denies. Sad story indeed.
(>٭□٭)> Wii U
metalpants
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion