Sakurai says keep waiting for Smash Bros. news, discusses...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Sakurai says keep waiting for Smash Bros. news, discusses...

Postby robometal cowboy » 13 Dec 2012 14:48

Sakurai says keep waiting for Smash Bros. news, discusses his dislike of speculation
Click Here to View Story

"To put it succinctly, I'll need to have you guys wait a while longer. I hardly ever write anything on Twitter any longer, and that's because I think right now is the time to stop tweeting and start putting in a real effort here. If I could put it a really harsh way, I think it'd be better if I could be forgotten by gamers for a while.

I don't like it when a tweet or whatever leads to needless speculation getting spread around. For example, when I tweet about playing some game, some people immediately get the idea that that character is in the new Smash Bros. Then people fan the flames on it, people start to think it's really true, people get angry about it. Nobody benefits.

I got asked once by a student 'Is Fox really strong in Smash Bros. Brawl because you like Star Fox?' Absolutely not. I don't balance things based on that. These are very important titles that the creators and fans are leaving to me. In the worldwide online rankings, Fox's winning record is right in the middle of all the characters. The idea with him was a character that suicided often, but made up for it with other skills, but I guess that prominence gave him this image of being really powerful.

Instead of talking about what Smash Bros. will be like, I'm just going to say 'I'm making you wait for it!' and keep going along. I want to put my all into a full-on launch that really makes that wait worth it." - Masahiro Sakurai

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: Sakurai says keep waiting for Smash Bros. news, discusse

Postby Shaanyboi » 13 Dec 2012 14:53

Sakurai: "Just f***ing WAIT! OKAY?! I'M DOING IT! God damnit, people. No, no, stop speculating, go sit over there, and I'll call you when I'm done, okay? Until then, seriously, stop. I'm trying to work. You want to know who is in the game? Well I'll tell you; I've been playing a ton of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Pokemon lately. That's right people, Mario. Link, Samus, and some stupid Pokemon (probably Pikachu) are going to be in your Smash Bros. game. There's your big goddamn reveal. Congratulations. Have a cookie. I hope you all get a chunk of oatmeal chocolate chip stuck in your throat. Now shut up!"
Last edited by Shaanyboi on 13 Dec 2012 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
Shaanyboi
Octorok
Octorok

XBL: Shaanyboi

Postby mariomaniac45213 » 13 Dec 2012 14:53

I feel bad for him and it's because it's Iwata's fault for spilling the beans so early before the game was even in development. He only said that to save face for a lackluster and boring E3 showing. Take your time Sakurai and don't listen to them. Just make a great product! Although I do have my wonders with Kirby and Meta Knight in Brawl...
Finally got a PS3 sooo add me if you want. :)
mariomaniac45213
Toad
Toad

Wii: 0257-0866-8958-0148
PSN: TheDestructo1994
XBL: TheDestructo94

Sakurai says keep waiting for Smash Bros. news, discusses hi

Postby Aaronnoraator » 13 Dec 2012 15:00

Man, you gotta respect Sakurai. He just outright says it as it is.
Aaronnoraator
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Yoshistar » 13 Dec 2012 15:03

Hahaha, awesome! It's good to hear such thoughts on the matter straight from the head of the project. Sakurai has my utmost trust and support, no matter what anyone says. I'm more than content with waiting on the game. :D

Hell, if there's a Dojo of this game just like last time, I'm staying far, far away from it. I want to experience this one with as many surprises as I can find and make it feel like it's one of the best games ever made. Part of why I don't really consider Brawl this way is because I knew almost everything about it beforehand. The only thing I'll limit myself to would be the inevitable official trailer and other such things like that in events like E3 and Nintendo Direct.

Check out my deviantArt page!
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Info: Name: Yosh (FC: 4768 – 9540 – 9439)
Yoshistar
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: Yoshistar-Baxter
3DS: 5198-3381-4180
Steam ID: Yoshistar1

Postby Swedish_Otaku » 13 Dec 2012 15:26

I feel sorry for Sakurai. As long as it has Mewtwo in it, and Midna... and a better online mode, and no tripping. And costumes. That's ALL I need for it to be the best Smash ever.
Swedish_Otaku
Metool
Metool

NN ID: Swedish_otaku

Postby SecondGearLuffy » 13 Dec 2012 15:31

Whenever he speaks out he always says its going to take a long time. I wouldnt expect the game to come out till Fall 2014 at the earliest.
If I cant beat RMC I cant protect anyone!
SecondGearLuffy
Goomba
Goomba

XBL: random K man

Postby Ragnarokstorymaker » 13 Dec 2012 16:11

Take your time Sakurai, Id much rather wait for a complete game rather than get an incomplete game and have to update it everytime I wanna play it.
Ragnarokstorymaker
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: RagnarokSM
PSN: RagnarokSM
XBL: DiehardStingray

Postby MaggotCakes » 13 Dec 2012 16:48

See...! Sakurai knows whats Up
Oh, so delicious. For lunch.
MaggotCakes
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: MaggotCakes

Postby Radiant » 13 Dec 2012 17:12

I love how this came alongside that rumor. Maybe it's saying "Stop it with these stupid false rumors. You won't be hearing any information for a while." It should be blatantly obvious given how long it took to develop SSBB, and how they're developing two SSB versions this time. The game set will not be out for a long time. We'd be very lucky to have it in two years, I say.

Swedish_Otaku wrote:I feel sorry for Sakurai. As long as it has Mewtwo in it, and Midna... and a better online mode, and no tripping. And costumes. That's ALL I need for it to be the best Smash ever.

It won't have Midna, I 99.9% guarantee that, so it's already set to disappoint you.
Radiant
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: WoodwindsRock
3DS: 1032-1351-5240

Postby SDDMN » 13 Dec 2012 17:14

I can understand a fan's need for info on a game they like, but Smash fans seriously need to leave Sakurai alone and let him get the game done.

Even if he does have help from Namco, the game's still going to take a while to make.
SDDMN
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: SDDMN25
3DS: 4596-9457-8127

Postby kdognumba1 » 13 Dec 2012 18:10

I agree with him, let him work, you'll get the game when its ready and he'll talk about it when there's something to talk about.
kdognumba1
Metool
Metool

NN ID: kdog254
3DS: 1676-3698-5986
Steam ID: kdog254
Wii: 5726-8719-5929-3614
PSN: jotaroxtreme
XBL: kdog254

Postby Fatmanonice » 13 Dec 2012 19:36

I get where he's coming from but for a number of reasons I have to say it's extremely hard not to speculate when it comes to Smash Bros because 1. they're always top notch and easily in the top five for each console they come out on, 2. there's so many possibilities about what can go into the series, 3. the games always have an absurd amount of content, and 4. the best and brightest in the gaming industry have a tendency to get involved in them. For me at least, waiting for Smash Bros is a lot like what waiting for Christmas was like as a kid so it's very hard to just sit on my hands and be patient.
Fatmanonice
Octorok
Octorok

Postby HylianHeroLOZ » 13 Dec 2012 20:41

Sakurai like many creators need to step back from social media, it puts them closer to the fans than ever before and in this case not for the better. Take your time sakurai, but at least throw us a bone sometime soon, something anything lol.
HylianHeroLOZ
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: HylianHeroSnake
PSN: HylianHeroSnake
XBL: HylianHeroSnake

Postby Kazin » 13 Dec 2012 22:43

I don't think it's particularly fair to say that. Half the fun of Smash Bros. is the speculation, the theories, the 'here's what I'd love to see' rosters. Everyone here in this topic probably remembers waking up every day in eager anticipation of what the Smash Bros. Dojo had to show us in the months before Brawl hit. I know I do. Remember the day they revealed Sonic? I jumped out of my seat 'cause I could hardly believe it. Remember the kind of hype that surrounded Brawl when they revealed Snake to be a third-party character at E3? I do.

I think it's a good idea that Sakurai distances himself from Twitter and other social media 'cause, obviously, he's said that speculation is driving him nuts.. but when you're the person who doesn't know what's coming it's easy to get caught up in the hype and speculation. Sakurai knows everything that's going into the game because he's the guy that makes all the decisions, and has for the past four games. I can't expect him to understand the speculation and hype.

Anyway, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Sakurai should still look at social media from time to time to get an idea of what people want. This Smash more than any other needs to be extremely fanservice-y. It's obviously going to sell a ton no matter what, but even so.
Kazin
Fairy
Fairy

Postby metalpants » 13 Dec 2012 22:50

What a beast. So glad he works for Nintendo. I will wait Sakurai-san :).
(>٭□٭)> Wii U
metalpants
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Johnknight1 » 14 Dec 2012 00:35

@Kazin
I think he meant people getting angry and bickering over it, rather than debating it and discussing the possibilities.

Plus, I think he doesn't want people to think it will come out next year. Let's be honest, at earliest, these 2 games will come out in late 2015. These 2 games will most likely come out in 2015 or 2016.
Johnknight1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby CHAOSDRAGON88 » 14 Dec 2012 04:53

It's better for these premier games to come out later in the console cycle anyway. If there are any advancements for the platform i'd rather have it nearest them.
CHAOSDRAGON88
Shyguy
Shyguy

3DS: 0645-5765-2712
Wii: 8329-8962-4689-1722
PSN: ELIJAHIB88

Postby XCWarrior » 14 Dec 2012 08:16

Poor guy. Take your time, though 2015 is a long way away to get the new Smash Bros. Sigh.
XCWarrior
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: XCWarrior
3DS: 1289-8376-3350
Steam ID: XCWarrior
PSN: XCWarrior1
XBL: XCWarrior1744

Postby Kazin » 14 Dec 2012 13:39

Johnknight1 wrote:@Kazin
I think he meant people getting angry and bickering over it, rather than debating it and discussing the possibilities.

Plus, I think he doesn't want people to think it will come out next year. Let's be honest, at earliest, these 2 games will come out in late 2015. These 2 games will most likely come out in 2015 or 2016.

Fair 'nuff.

And honestly I'm looking at a 2014 holiday launch. If it winds up being like Brawl it's probably gonna get pushed back to 2015, though. They already said that they had the game up and running months ago, the rest of it's going to be putting stuff in and having it playtested.
Kazin
Fairy
Fairy

Postby HylianHeroLOZ » 15 Dec 2012 01:17

Kazin wrote:
Johnknight1 wrote:@Kazin

Fair 'nuff.

And honestly I'm looking at a 2014 holiday launch. If it winds up being like Brawl it's probably gonna get pushed back to 2015, though. They already said that they had the game up and running months ago, the rest of it's going to be putting stuff in and having it playtested.

2014 seems like the most logical release time, there is no way they would hold off until after since businesswise that amount of dev time is too much for the budgets most games have these days. And with namco helping out things should be moving smoother than before, so its safe to say it wont be like waiting for past games.
HylianHeroLOZ
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: HylianHeroSnake
PSN: HylianHeroSnake
XBL: HylianHeroSnake

Postby Fathrim » 15 Dec 2012 02:52

Oh Sakurai, I could never forget you. :)
Fathrim

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion