Monolith Soft talks upcoming Wii U project, goal to becom...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Monolith Soft talks upcoming Wii U project, goal to becom...

Postby robometal cowboy » 14 Dec 2012 23:15

Monolith Soft talks upcoming Wii U project, goal to become the next Bethesda
Click Here to View Story

Wii U project

- will be a challenging game that will get people together
- expect it to be both very flashy and addicting
- decided that if they were going to jump into the next generation, they’d like to have the perfect team in order to do it the right way
- they believe working alongside Nintendo will be a huge advantage
- they believe they should have a better understanding o the Wii U from Nintendo

The following comments come from Monolith Soft’s Michihiko Inaba and executive producer, Hirohide Sugiura...

Inaba: “I’d like to make an HD game that will wow the players. I want to show that Japan can still keep up with the USA when it comes next gen technology. Our goal is to become something like the developers of the Fallout series, Bethesda Softworks.”

Sugiura: “I believe that today’s Japanese gaming industry has lost its touch, and we’d like to do something to change that.”

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Monolith Soft talks upcoming Wii U project, goal to become t

Postby LegendofSantiago » 14 Dec 2012 23:16

"Our goal is to become something like the developers of the Fallout series, Bethesda Softworks.”

Not sure if i like that. Also, I hope they won't suffer from the generational leap like other JRPG developers. Xenoblade is a fine game with its share of problems, I wonder if they could have done the same on more powerful tech.
I do like their enthusiasm, especially this quote:
Sugiura: “I believe that today’s Japanese gaming industry has lost its touch, and we’d like to do something to change that.”

I do hope they realize what went wrong in the first place, but I'm hopeful
Last edited by LegendofSantiago on 14 Dec 2012 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Re: Monolith Soft talks upcoming Wii U project, goal to beco

Postby mdluffy » 14 Dec 2012 23:17

pretty lofty goal...but I BELIEVE!

edit: as long as they leave out emulating bethesda's bug ridden reputation

If they want to go big, more power to them, because as it stands now, they have the undivided attention of Nintendo fans this coming generation with western third-parties dismissing the Wii U
Last edited by mdluffy on 15 Dec 2012 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
mdluffy
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: hattori

Postby PaperLink64 » 14 Dec 2012 23:22

Do your own thing, MonolithSoft, we don't want you to follow in the bug-riddled footsteps of Betheseda.
PaperLink64
Octorok
Octorok

3DS: 1805-3015-8051
Wii: 6643-1766-9039-6758
PSN: PaperLink64HD

Postby ZeldaPrime » 14 Dec 2012 23:26

Holy shovel if they make a game like Skyrim O_o

Gotta calm my boner
Last edited by ZeldaPrime on 15 Dec 2012 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
ZeldaPrime
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: HaxerNova95
PSN: HaxorNova95
XBL: HaxorNova95

Postby BillNye » 14 Dec 2012 23:27

I bet you guys haven't even played a Bethesda game if all you can say is about the bugs, if Monolith studios is like bethesda then that's a great thing, Bethesda is one of the best companies.
BillNye
Fairy
Fairy

Postby TruPCNspace » 14 Dec 2012 23:28

1. Make glitchy open world engine, full of NPC's and random garbage everywhere.

2. Apply theme to built engine. Patch game...a lot.

3. Release same game cleverly disguised with new theme, story, weapons while applying minor tweaks to engine.

4. Repeat. Profit.
TruPCNspace
Fairy
Fairy

3DS: 1075-0892-7852
XBL: CrazyAP

Postby kdognumba1 » 14 Dec 2012 23:29

Well I don't want them to be Bethesda but I'm EXTREMELY hyped about their next project!
kdognumba1
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: kdog254
3DS: 1676-3698-5986
Wii: 5726-8719-5929-3614
PSN: jotaroxtreme
XBL: kdog254

Postby SuperNictendo » 14 Dec 2012 23:31

Ooooooh snapples. Cant wait
Will smith as Fox McCloud and Bruce Willis as Luke Skywalker in Star Fox vs Rogue Squadron: The Movie!!
X Y Safari is Psychic: Grumpig, Sigilyph and Girafarig
SuperNictendo
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: SuperNictendo
3DS: 1118 0218 6083

Postby Syrek » 14 Dec 2012 23:37

I think they mean the quality of games Bethesda Softworks created in terms of huge open world environments, hand crafted dungeons and designs, NPCs that have a life and don't follow a structure, that are free to do what they want in regards to what kind of person they are. Besides, even with the bugs, people still really enjoy these games because the good far outweighs the bad. Honesty I have never had a game breaking experiance with Skyrim, and nothing major that I would get so angry about. Besides, people really need to understand that open world games that allow you to do what you want when you want has so so many variables its not even funny. I would be surprised if any game of that scope does not have any bugs.
Syrek
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: Mychal

Postby ZeldaPrime » 14 Dec 2012 23:44

TruPCNspace wrote:1. Make glitchy open world engine, full of NPC's and random garbage everywhere.

3. Release same game cleverly disguised with new theme, story, weapons while applying minor tweaks to engine.

4. Repeat. Profit.

Skyrim on PC and 360 were fine; it's the PS3 version that sucks. Dishonored is a great new game, with very different gameplay. I hope you go play an Elder Scrolls game or Dishonored; you'll take back those words. I hope Monolith's game gets localized, or we'll have to get Op Rainfall on Reggie.
ZeldaPrime
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: HaxerNova95
PSN: HaxorNova95
XBL: HaxorNova95

Postby lockNES » 14 Dec 2012 23:55

ZeldaPrime wrote:
TruPCNspace wrote:1. Make glitchy open world engine, full of NPC's and random garbage everywhere.

4. Repeat. Profit.

Skyrim on PC and 360 were fine; it's the PS3 version that sucks. Dishonored is a great new game, with very different gameplay. I hope you go play an Elder Scrolls game or Dishonored; you'll take back those words. I hope Monolith's game gets localized, or we'll have to get Op Rainfall on Reggie.

For the record, Bethesda didn't develop Dishonored, they only published it. Bethesda has done a lot of publishing this generation of new IPs but the only games they themselves have developed was Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Skyrim.
lockNES
Fairy
Fairy

Postby grcpan » 14 Dec 2012 23:59

Well bethesda's recent games aren't masterpieces like morrowind and daggerfall, but they are still great games.

Monolith still has a long way before they can reach the quality of bethesda, but I believe that they can do it, they seem very talented.

Those that don't like bethesda games are people that haven't played the games or just people that don't like RPGs and especially sandbox no hand holding RPGs.
grcpan
Fairy
Fairy

Postby foxuzamaki » 15 Dec 2012 00:11

grcpan wrote:Well bethesda's recent games aren't masterpieces like morrowind and daggerfall, but they are still great games.

Monolith still has a long way before they can reach the quality of bethesda, but I believe that they can do it, they seem very talented.

Those that don't like bethesda games are people that haven't played the games or just people that don't like RPGs and especially sandbox no hand holding RPGs.

I think monoliftsoft far surpasses bethesda
foxuzamaki
Fairy
Fairy

Postby RAWR » 15 Dec 2012 00:11

What's with the negativity and backwards thinking??? First you complain there's not enough 3rd party games and now we have a Nintendo team saying they want to become a high quality AAA developer and we bash them.

You all never cease to amaze me. >.<
RAWR
Fairy
Fairy

Wii: 0307 8186 0841 8455

Postby BillNye » 15 Dec 2012 00:16

grcpan wrote:Well bethesda's recent games aren't masterpieces like morrowind and daggerfall, but they are still great games.

Skyrim and Fallout 3 are quite masterpieces.
BillNye
Fairy
Fairy

Postby TruPCNspace » 15 Dec 2012 00:16

@ZeldaPrime All joking aside, I don't have a huge problem with them. I've played Fallout 3 and Skyrim and applaud them for their scope of open world gameplay. On the other hand I feel they lack focus at times, the narrative is kind of lacking. I also get frustrated with constant freezing (during the final boss!), dumb partner AI. Yes, the 360 version has issues as well.

I understand, from a business perspective, why they reuse their engine to save dev costs. With that said, I also don't want Monolith to become a one-trick-pony who has to cater to their fanbase. I want to see a game with a different style/combat system from Xenoblade. They can delve in other genres for all I care, it's good experience.
TruPCNspace
Fairy
Fairy

Postby gtt » 15 Dec 2012 00:17

Can't we just make videogames? does everything have to be stuff like "- will be a challenging game that will get people together"

or "we won't do something till we have a way to use the gamepad in a new and exciting way"
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby zombiedsz » 15 Dec 2012 00:17

people need to get off the "glitchy Bethesda" bandwagon. its clear you guys don't play these games and only parrot what you see on forums by immature ppl. maybe you're bitter because they came out and said they weren't bringing their games to the Wii U. big deal. get over it. maybe you tried it and just didn't like it, in that case fair enough i won't tell you different but when a forum bashing Bethesda only brings up "glitches" and nothing else, it comes off as really ignorant.

Bethesda represents the high mark of what an open rpg should be, in concept, story telling, characters, and atmosphere. They also push a TON of sales because of the quality of their games and their fanbase. Dev's know this and hold Bethesda in very high regard so when you hear them aspire to be on their level, you know they're brewing something big. When a company like Monolith aspires for something like Skyrim or Fallout, I for one pay attention. you'd be stupid not to.
zombiedsz
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Eternal Rain » 15 Dec 2012 00:19

I'm wondering how many of you people have actually played a Bethesda game like Skyrim or Fallout 3, because if your ONLY basis for the company is "they make buggy games" then you probably haven't actually seen WHY these games are well liked, despite their technical issues.

Now I will grant this much... yes it's true, Bethesda's games do tend to have bugs in them. But when you factor in how large in scope these games are, and everything you can do, I think it's safe to say that the most anal testing could never catch every single bug. At least they have the courtesy to patch bugs timely enough... on PC and 360, but still. (yeah sorry PS3-only owners, you do kinda get screwed in that area) But once you look past the bugs, you find they are great at doing things like crafting these immersive open worlds with lots to do, places to explore, people to meet, and just atmosphere out the wazoo. While Zelda will always be my favorite action-adventure game series, Elder Scrolls and the recent Fallout games (yes I know New Vegas was made by Obsidian, a company made of former Black Isle devs, but it still based itself around Bethesda's work on Fallout 3) have come the closest to giving me worlds that are just as engrossing.
Eternal Rain
Boo
Boo

Postby LegendofSantiago » 15 Dec 2012 00:29

RAWR wrote:What's with the negativity and backwards thinking??? First you complain there's not enough 3rd party games and now we have a Nintendo team saying they want to become a high quality AAA developer and we bash them.

Nobody said that
@zombiedsz I'm not a fan, but I can see why some like them. You really can't say that Bethesda games aren't buggy though, they are well known for that.
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Dinosaur Rex » 15 Dec 2012 00:35

Eternal Rain wrote:I'm wondering how many of you people have actually played a Bethesda game like Skyrim or Fallout 3, because if your ONLY basis for the company is "they make buggy games" then you probably haven't actually seen WHY these games are well liked, despite their technical issues.

Now I will grant this much... yes it's true, Bethesda's games do tend to have bugs in them. But when you factor in how large in scope these games are, and everything you can do, I think it's safe to say that the most anal testing could never catch every single bug. At least they have the courtesy to patch bugs timely enough... on PC and 360, but still. (yeah sorry PS3-only owners, you do kinda get screwed in that area) But once you look past the bugs, you find they are great at doing things like crafting these immersive open worlds with lots to do, places to explore, people to meet, and just atmosphere out the wazoo. While Zelda will always be my favorite action-adventure game series, Elder Scrolls and the recent Fallout games (yes I know New Vegas was made by Obsidian, a company made of former Black Isle devs, but it still based itself around Bethesda's work on Fallout 3) have come the closest to giving me worlds that are just as engrossing.

Yup, they all jump into the hate wagon without even trying the games.
Dinosaur Rex
Goomba
Goomba

Postby TruPCNspace » 15 Dec 2012 00:37

Just to clarify, people; He meant they want the reputation that Bethesda has. NOT that they're making a game similar to Skyrim. In other words they want people to associate top-notch JRPG's with Monolith Soft.
TruPCNspace
Fairy
Fairy

Postby zombiedsz » 15 Dec 2012 00:44

LegendofSantiago wrote:
RAWR wrote:What's with the negativity and backwards thinking??? First you complain there's not enough 3rd party games and now we have a Nintendo team saying they want to become a high quality AAA developer and we bash them.

Nobody said that
@zombiedsz I'm not a fan, but I can see why some like them. You really can't say that Bethesda games aren't buggy though, they are well known for that.

so what? as someone who actually PLAYED THROUGH the games i can tell you that the bugs don't matter and shouldn't affect enjoyment of the game whatsoever (played on PC and 360). i can also say that alot of games have bugs, you all play through them and probably never see them as they require very specific actions to trigger (skyward sword comes to mind). you're entitled to your opinion no question there, but its silly to try and say a few bugs will ruin your experience over the hundreds of hours of (hiccup free) content.
zombiedsz
Fairy
Fairy

Postby MegaShock100 » 15 Dec 2012 00:47

Ugh Bethesda. They've done nothing remotely interesting and all the game they make are buggy glitch-fest. You just walk around in Skyrim doing nothing with the crappy clickclickclickclick combat, just play Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma or Monster Hunter for good ARPG. Fallout 3 is just a slow and boring, drab, gray, monotonus environment where you just shoot things. Xenoblade is far better than anything Besthesda has make in recent years. Dishonored is full of flaws like how OP and abuseable Blink is. The stealth is broken and it doesn't fulfill the promises it made.
MegaShock100
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion