Mobile dev says console market will be for the hobbyist

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Postby robometal cowboy » 20 Dec 2012 15:46

Click Here to View Story

“I do believe there will always be a console market - my sense is it will become ultracore, almost like hobbyist, in the way that certain genres of entertainment or product become hobbyist over time as people have migrated to other things." - Clive Downie, CEO of DeNA's ngmoco subsidiary

It's funny...because that's how I see the mobile market. People buy phones that also play games. People don't buy phones BECAUSE they play games. At least, I don't think they do!

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: Mobile dev says console market will be for the hobbyist

Postby ajayokay » 20 Dec 2012 15:49

Uh, I think he meant the opposite- that consoles might become a niche for hardcore players only.
ajayokay
Fairy
Fairy

Postby ocre » 20 Dec 2012 15:55

When is this suppose to happen, again? Psh.
ocre
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Darth Vader » 20 Dec 2012 16:17

nvm
Last edited by Darth Vader on 20 Dec 2012 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Vader's Gonna Go Play Some More Dankey Kang
3DS info - The Hoss - 0602 6282 8767
Darth Vader
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Mike_Intellivision » 20 Dec 2012 16:22

What else would one expect a mobile developer to say ... the truth that one $1 out of $10 is spent by casual players, the main market for mobile developers.

Mike from Morgantown
Mike from Morgantown

(PM me if younwould like to be WiiU friends .
... I know that sounds strange at best but I am looking to fill out my friends list.)
Mike_Intellivision
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: Mike_INTV
Wii: 1624-6601-1126-1492

Postby Zug Zug » 20 Dec 2012 16:40

ocre wrote:When is this suppose to happen, again? Psh.

We've been hearing this since circa 2009/2010. The console apocalypse was supposed to happen last year. Then it got postponed for this year. Since this year is pretty much over, guess it'll be next year. :mrgreen:
Zug Zug
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby ronnande » 20 Dec 2012 18:36

I agree on this, the casual and lot of the kids gamers are moving on to gaming on mobile devices it seems. But the dedicated handheld and console market will continue to exist, but as this dude says it will be more dedicated hardcore gamers only on these systems.
ronnande
Goomba
Goomba

Postby void3953 » 21 Dec 2012 04:39

ronnande wrote:I agree on this, the casual and lot of the kids gamers are moving on to gaming on mobile devices it seems. But the dedicated handheld and console market will continue to exist, but as this dude says it will be more dedicated hardcore gamers only on these systems.

Depends. If the hardware is cheap enough and the games are interesting enough, and available nowhere else, then even the casual market will buy the specialized hardware to get them. It's the reason why in an industry dominated by Sony and MS, at least vocally, Nintendo continues to thrive. And why PCs couldn't kill consoles. Or why Nintendo has always dominated the dedicated handheld market no matter who challenged them.

If Nintendo handles themselves correctly they could still sell 100 million of whatever future system they release even if there are a billion smart phones out there. Remember, people buy phones as phones first. Everything else is just extra. I doubt hardly anyone would site games as the deciding factor for why they even chose to get an iPhone vs an Android one let alone why they purchased a phone at all. Games just seem to be one of the many things phones do now, like text messaging.

Besides, as of the indefinite future you're never going to be able to buy any of Nintendo's games on any other hardware. Pokemon alone is probably worth 20-30 million system sales a generation.

Will people complain that they can't just buy them on their phones? Probably.

Will a lot of them still buy Nintendo's hardware to get them? Probably.
void3953
Fairy
Fairy

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion