GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - What do you think of Ni...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - What do you think of Ni...

Postby robometal cowboy » 21 Dec 2012 06:22

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - What do you think of Nintendo TVii?
Click Here to View Story

Dear Diary: End of the world is upon us. So far, things seem to be going well. Rainy, wind, but not deadly. Maybe these rumors of the world blowing up were wrong? Either way, must get sleep for work tomorrow. See you in a few, short hours!

I haven't had the best first day with Nintendo TVii. Things started off great when I realized you didn't have to go through a download to get the service running. Just one click of the Nintendo TVii icon and you jump right into the service. From there, things were a bit of a mess on my end.

I think my lackluster experience had to do with first-day issues and a rush of people jumping on the service. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't find any of the shows I wanted to add as favorites. Many hours later I finally got in and could add favorites, but for a long time there, it was almost like my shows didn't exist!

The one element that did work well for me was the live TV guide. It acted just as the guide on my cable box already, but it gave me a lot more information when I clicked on a show. I could see future airings, multiple channels that were showing that program and even options like episode purchases from other services. Clearly superior to what my cable guide offers.

So yes, day one wasn't all I hoped it would be. I'm willing to chalk up my experience to the launch of the service, which is usually met with problems. Nintendo managed to fix up Miiverse issues within a day, so I'm hoping for the same here. Perhaps your experience was better? Leave a comment and tell us how your interactions went.
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - What do you think of N

Postby ridleysaria » 21 Dec 2012 06:44

I don't know..... my Wii U stopped working! :x

From the impressions I've been reading around the internet, TVii seems like the Wii U's equivalent to Wii's weather and news channels. Anyone else remember when Nintendo used to make great games instead of useless garbage?
Last edited by ridleysaria on 21 Dec 2012 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Mighty No. 6978
ridleysaria
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: RidleySaria
3DS: 2664-2118-8366
Steam ID: ridleysaria
PSN: RidleySaria

Postby LDAF » 21 Dec 2012 06:46

RMC, there's a typo in the title; it's supposed to say 'End of World' thought. :D
LDAF
Chocobo
Chocobo

3DS: 3737 9697 5034
Wii: 2339 3016 3215 1252

Postby Lizardon » 21 Dec 2012 06:47

The US only got it today? Lol, it was a day one launch feature over in Japan. :D
Lizardon
Goomba
Goomba

Postby inspiredefined » 21 Dec 2012 07:19

I know this was never confirmed as a feature, but I was really hoping with Nintendo TVii I would be able to use the same social networking capabilities that are used for live broadcasts with the things I watch on Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon. I live in an area that does not get broadcast reception, and I do not have cable or satellite TV as it is exorbitantly expensive, so these services are what I depend on to watch my favorite shows. The search feature that unites all of these services is a plus, as if I don't know what service a certain movie or show is on, I can use it to more quickly find which one I need to use, but I was really disappointed when it prompted me to launch the app and leave Nintendo TVii. Furthermore, I pretty much know that movies and older episodes of TV shows = Netflix, current TV = Hulu Plus, and Amazon fills in the gaps here and there, so the search functionality is only occasionally useful.

To sum it up, I'm disappointed - I think it needs more work.
inspiredefined
Fairy
Fairy

Postby joshb1983 » 21 Dec 2012 07:21

I love it! If advertised correctly, this app could be a huge game-changer. It has a few bugs still, but it has MASSIVE potential. TVii combined with Miiverse could destroy all competition if Nintendo could get it accross in their adverts.
joshb1983
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby LordRoto » 21 Dec 2012 07:34

Lizardon wrote:The US only got it today? Lol, it was a day one launch feature over in Japan. :D

Crazy right! You would think that Nintendo would have an easier time getting together with japanese cable companies then US and European ones right? lol
LordRoto
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby kevynwight » 21 Dec 2012 07:59

I did the favorite TV, favorite movies, favorite teams, and went into a few listings. It was marginally cool watching the Mavs game and being able to comment on individual plays with other users. Overall I don't see it getting much use.
kevynwight
Fairy
Fairy

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - What do you think of Ninte

Postby t27duck » 21 Dec 2012 08:25

I personally find no use in this "feature" but to each their own.
I'm available, ladies!!!
t27duck
Keymaster
Keymaster

3DS: 068853513150
XBL: t527duck

Postby selloutwithme » 21 Dec 2012 08:32

it's trash at the moment. if you want to watch something that streams from netflix or hulu, tvii just opens up that separate app instead of streaming it within tvii. pretty crappy and slow if you ask me.

edit: this app is worthless. it just makes you hop through extra hoops. if it worked correctly you would search "the office" and it would show each episode with a red (netflix), green (hulu), and yellow (amazon) tab next to it. if you played an earlier season of the office it would play it from netflix since there are no commercials, but if you played a newer episode it would play from hulu (with commercials).
Last edited by selloutwithme on 21 Dec 2012 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
selloutwithme
Fairy
Fairy

Postby XCWarrior » 21 Dec 2012 08:37

I usually spend Browns games on the laptop complaining on Twitter with other people. I think it'll be nice using the Gamepad for that instead Sunday.

It has some kinks but it definitely has some potential. Oh and it would help to have cable, I only have rabbit ears so my options are limited on what to watch.
XCWarrior
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: XCWarrior
3DS: 1289-8376-3350
Steam ID: XCWarrior
PSN: XCWarrior1
XBL: XCWarrior1744

Postby marsbarrow » 21 Dec 2012 08:46

TVii has been a mixed bag for me so far. I have a TiVo, which already has a TVii like service that pairs with my iPad and has access to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon... but so far I enjoy the sports thing quite a bit. I watched a basketball game last night and it showed every shot made by every player within seconds and had all game stats right on my gamepad--pretty cool. More live TV shows need to add the "tagging" feature. I don't like that it puts all your messages right on Facebook (I will be unlinking my account), it just looks goofy the way it's done.
So, overall it needs work, including the TiVo and Netflix update, and it would be nice if the apps would stay open or switch quicker.
marsbarrow
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby MetroidMan5000 » 21 Dec 2012 09:03

To be blunt: It's a giant disappointment.

TVii is nothing but a glorified TV Guide/Universal Remote right now.
Oh, and don't fool yourselves. You will NOT be able to watch TV on your Wii U/the Gamepad or anything.
It just changes the TV channel for you.

The support for TV show engagement is very tiny, and I watch a LOT of popular TV shows. None of them had TV Tag features.

I was finally able to use it with a sports game and it was very lack luster. If you're into sports, I'm sure you'll find something there you like but for the most part, it was an empty shell of what it was supposed to be. I couldn't even view player stats.

The social media integration is a joke. It posts to Twitter/Facebook with absolutely NO context of what you're watching. It says "I commented on a TV Moment: lol!" and that's it. Miiverse works fine, of course.

I don't understand how Nintendo plans on making this feature stick when they launch it with so many missing features. It makes me want to never use it again.
Last edited by MetroidMan5000 on 21 Dec 2012 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
MetroidMan5000
Fairy
Fairy

Postby JaniN83 » 21 Dec 2012 09:13

Once again a cool feature that will never get in use here in Finland..

"This service is not currently available."
JaniN83
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: Janttu
3DS: SecretToEveryb
Steam ID: WillNeverGetOne
Wii: UpgradedToWiiU
PSN: WillNeverGetOne
XBL: WillNeverGetOne

Postby gamefreak613 » 21 Dec 2012 09:45

I thought it was pretty neat! I like the glorified TV guide aspect of it...combined with show and actor information...sports info...integration with twitter, facebook and miiverse...using it as a television remote...and choosing where and when to watch the shows I want....I had a really good first impression! (I turned it on around 8pm last night to take a look, so I may have checked it out after the initial "rush".

I don't watch much televison, I mostly use services like netflix....I only have a basic cable subscription (which I'm forced to have for a cheaper internet bill it's messed up.) I find that this will likely be the most convenient way to watch these services and looking for shows on my television. No joke. I don't have an xbox 360 or anything else that could use these services instead, so I find that this "all in one" solution for my shows and movies is a very good one.
gamefreak613
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: gamefreak613

Postby kevinxnelms » 21 Dec 2012 09:49

I don't really watch much TV (and the shows I do watch, I wait for them to hit Netflix, or watch them onDemand, because I have a thing against letting a schedule rule me) so I kind of just don't get it.

I do like how you can go into movies for a list of movies that are currently playing on TV, it makes hunting for something to watch much more convenient.

...with Comcast, though, it doesn't exclude channels that you don't have in the listing, so you still have to do some poking around to find anything on a channel you actually get. :( I blame Comcast for that more than Nintendo, though, though they could still make it so you can blacklist certain channels from showing up.
kevinxnelms
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: CriticalCrow

Postby gatorboi352 » 21 Dec 2012 10:16

The only thing I wish it did (besides hurry up and get the Netflix and DVR options) is open up Nintendo TVii when I press the TV Control button on the Gamepad, or at least have an icon above or under the "Play Wii U" icon on when you invoke the TV button.

Just a thought from a lowly Applications Analyst...

EDIT:

I should also mention that this app really brings to light the below average battery life of the Gamepad. TVii watching, for me, could easily end up occupying much more of my time than a gaming session. I have actually already purchased a second Gamepad AC Adapter through Nintendo to plug in near my couch.
gatorboi352
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: gatorboi352
Wii: 6358 4960 5851 8155

Postby lynnvin » 21 Dec 2012 10:33

I think it is a great feature that will only get better in the future. Remember, it is a free app. At least they launched it in December as announced. Give it time, I am looking forward to using this while watching Sports games over the holidays, I hope they add baseball functions once the baseball season starts.
lynnvin
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: lynnvin

Postby madgamer » 21 Dec 2012 10:47

We've had a lot of trouble setting up Dish Network with TVii. I managed to link up the regular broadcast TV with it but its annoying that you can only do one at a time. We use Satellite for Indian channels and broadcast for the american stuff. It would have been cool if it could combine the two.

I'll have to try it some more to really see how well it works. Too bad theres nothing I want to watch on TV this week since everything is on a break.
"I am what I am and thats all I am"- Popeye
http://www.priyesh.org
madgamer
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: madgamer7
PSN: madgamer7
XBL: madgamer7

Postby IINIGMA » 21 Dec 2012 10:59

Inputting a channel is fundamentally broken for me. I use Broadcast HD TV only. The channels are set up with a decimal between the channels and their sub-channels, so for instance, I have PBS on three channels: 29.1, 29.2, and 29.3. When I touch a channel in the guide (grid view) it enters these numbers as 291, 292, and 293. Of course these channels don't exist, so it just tells me "channel not found". It seems like something they could fix so I'm going to let their support team know.

The whole thing seems like a neat idea, but it's a little half-baked at this point.
IINIGMA

Postby antkiller520 » 21 Dec 2012 11:01

ridleysaria wrote:I don't know..... my Wii U stopped working! :x
sucks same happens to mine about to weeks ago. nintendo sent me a new one but it took about 2 weeks with ground shipping. i may just be albe to get it back on christmas eve before christmas woooo
antkiller520
Fairy
Fairy

Postby antkiller520 » 21 Dec 2012 11:07

totally misspelled every thing in the reply back
antkiller520
Fairy
Fairy

Postby PsychoAccountant » 21 Dec 2012 11:37

To get any value out of it I guess you need to be a big tv watcher. I'm not, so I'll just stick to playing games.
PsychoAccountant
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: PsychoAccountant
3DS: 1676-3681-4198

Postby Agedgamer » 21 Dec 2012 11:48

I'd like it to be a bit more comprehensive. We have a HD terminal, and many of the channels I like to watch aren't available in the favourites heading.
Agedgamer
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby Nintendude92 » 21 Dec 2012 11:57

Totally clever. Have all your shows in one place and use your Wii U to interact and throwaway your traditional remote. Cool.

..But I use a 1080p computer monitor and don't have cable, so, not as useful for me.
Nintendude92
Goomba
Goomba

XBL: Nintendude92

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion