Capcom on addressing Mega Man's target market, digital vs...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Capcom on addressing Mega Man's target market, digital vs...

Postby robometal cowboy » 24 Dec 2012 00:14

Capcom on addressing Mega Man's target market, digital vs. retail
Click Here to View Story

A portion of a Siliconera interview with Capcom’s Senior Community Manager, Brett Elston...

S: There have obviously been discussions about Mega Man’s future, internally at Capcom, during which the involved parties provide their input regarding the future of the brand. Can you say what kind of input you’ve provided or what you’ve gleaned from your understanding of Mega Man’s target market?

BE: We can’t give any specifics on that, but it’s true we’re talking about this brand and this character a lot. But, part of the problem is the prior question above—each of those Mega Man spin-offs targets a similar, but not identical audience. No matter what we do, there are other types of fans that are not addressed. It’s a huge challenge.

S: Do you think retail is still a viable space for new Mega Man games?

BE: It’s entirely possible we’ll find an idea or concept that warrants a full disc release, but for the immediate future, digital feels like the right way to experience Mega Man. What form it takes, and which platform(s) it appears on, would need to suit the game and the intended audience. That said, the perceived quality of a digital title should be quite strong these days; just because something arrives via download and not in a box doesn’t mean it’s “lesser” in some way.

Full interview here
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: Capcom on addressing Mega Man's target market, digital v

Postby Einar1025 » 24 Dec 2012 00:54

Hey capcom, know how Nintendo reaches such broad audiences with Mario?

THEY MAKE GOOD GAMES!

Make a quality MODERN mega man game and you WILL make money! I promise!
Einar1025
Octorok
Octorok

Wii: 8035-1568-0048-2975
PSN: DrybonesZer0
XBL: Drybones0

Capcom on addressing Mega Man's target market, digital vs. r

Postby SuperNictendo » 24 Dec 2012 01:05

I honestly have no more words of frustration anymore. Im tired of there secrets and refusals.of game localizations, and constantly 1uping there own games. i.e. mvc/umvc. All I can say is I hope it all goes well. At least I have my megaman comics
Will smith as Fox McCloud and Bruce Willis as Luke Skywalker in Star Fox vs Rogue Squadron: The Movie!!
X Y Safari is Psychic: Grumpig, Sigilyph and Girafarig
SuperNictendo
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: SuperNictendo
3DS: 1118 0218 6083

Re: Capcom on addressing Mega Man's target market, digital v

Postby gtt » 24 Dec 2012 02:18

so, mega man is dead.

or relegated to shovel ios games. same thing.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby MoldyClay » 24 Dec 2012 03:03

@SuperNictendo

Not to defend Capcom really, but they only "one-upped" their own games twice, got terrible backlash for it, and haven't since. And the main reason was that it was too soon for UMvC3. They've been making reissues of fighting games since the beginning of forever, though.

And what games did they refuse to localize? Only thing that comes to mind is the 2nd Edgeworth game. Nintendo's the ones who refuse to localize things.

Right on the money with the secret nonsense.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby ecco6t9 » 24 Dec 2012 03:23

Problem was that Mega Man always felt like an 8 Bit game, Astro Boy GBA is what Mega Man should of evolved too.
ecco6t9

Postby archer9234 » 24 Dec 2012 10:40

@MoldyClay And no one liked them reissuing games. It was allowed back when the internet didn't exist for downloads. But when that became viable. Reissues became pointless. (I'm talking to you Madden) How many games where between street fighter 2 and 3. Too god damn many. Now MVC3, that was the breaking point for me. I couldn't wait for that game. I gladly spent $80 for the collectors edition. They finally gave me Marvel characters I always wanted to play as. Then all the damn updates where released to a patch disc... That was sold for less than half of what I paid, in 6 months. Instead of making it DLC that just equal up to that $40. I would of bought most of the costumes and Phoenix as a DLC character. Never buying a fighting game from them again. And thanks to RE Gold Edition. I've been trained to wait two years on their games.

The secret nonsense also is really stupid. They think they're either being funny or cool. You aren't selling a game console. It's a game. We want some basic info. That's it. You're making a game? "yes". Not: You're making a game? "Well at this time we are deciding on our future with the Megaman franchise." We are the consumer. Not a board meeting. Just keep quiet, till you have something that people want to hear.
archer9234
Chocobo
Chocobo

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion