New Super Mario Bros. U talks possibility of user created...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

New Super Mario Bros. U talks possibility of user created...

Postby robometal cowboy » 27 Dec 2012 23:20

New Super Mario Bros. U talks possibility of user created/shared levels in Mario's future
Click Here to View Story

“I think the Coin Edit feature in Coin Battle is a step closer to that. There is a possibility of this happening in the future, but there’s no use just blindly making that feature available. We would need to carefully think about how to make such a system work. The important thing is that it has to be something that is uniquely Nintendo. Where a beginner can easily make something and have a good time, and simultaneously, someone who is really into Mario can delve into it deeper and make something more complex. So that is a challenge we will need to tackle in the future.” - Masataka Takemoto, director

It's certainly not something that will be implemented in New Super Mario Bros. U, but it seems that the idea might resurface in a future Mario title down the road.

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

New Super Mario Bros. U talks possibility of user created/sh

Postby led-naruto » 27 Dec 2012 23:31

This screams Mario Kaizo.
Mirror and Soul
led-naruto
Boo
Boo

Re: New Super Mario Bros. U talks possibility of user create

Postby PaperLink64 » 27 Dec 2012 23:49

It would probably just end up being used for endless remakes of World 1-1 or Green Hill Zone.
PaperLink64
Octorok
Octorok

3DS: 1805-3015-8051
Wii: 6643-1766-9039-6758
PSN: PaperLink64HD

Postby DonnyKD » 27 Dec 2012 23:56

PaperLink64 wrote:It would probably just end up being used for endless remakes of World 1-1 or Green Hill Zone.

I barely see those kinds of levels on hacking communities these days.

Now Kaizo? Friggin' everywhere.
DonnyKD
Goomba
Goomba

Postby mariomaniac45213 » 27 Dec 2012 23:59

It shouldn't even be a possibility it should've been or SHOULD be a reality by now (along with online play) no reason it shouldn't this day and age. I can only imagine what the millions of fans can come up with. I just hope it's more deep and involved than SSBB's level creator...
Finally got a PS3 sooo add me if you want. :)
mariomaniac45213
Toad
Toad

Wii: 0257-0866-8958-0148
PSN: TheDestructo1994
XBL: TheDestructo94

Postby Nintendude92 » 28 Dec 2012 01:09

Do something like Super Meatboy's PC sharing kit or at least Mario vs Donkey kong.

I may never play fanmade levels to be honest but the feature is a no brainer
Nintendude92
Goomba
Goomba

XBL: Nintendude92

Postby Frankula » 28 Dec 2012 01:19

Nintendo needs to grow some balls. They are so afraid of turning casual gamers away from their products. They won't put a level editor and online play in mario for fear that it will take over as the "way" to play mario, causing casual players to feel left out when they can't beat the kaizo type levels that are made popular.

Seriously though, that is just pathetic. I'm getting tired of their conservativeness. They are just starting to show their age. I hope that the younger devs like Sakurai can show the older vets like Miyamoto how to make a game with deeper gameplay.
Frankula
Goomba
Goomba

Postby enigmaxtreme » 28 Dec 2012 01:23

Level Editor would work great, just look what LBP's editor was full of in the beginning.....
enigmaxtreme
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: enigmaxtreme316

Postby enigmaxtreme » 28 Dec 2012 01:28

Frankula wrote:Nintendo needs to grow some balls. They are so afraid of turning casual gamers away from their products. They won't put a level editor and online play in mario for fear that it will take over as the "way" to play mario, causing casual players to feel left out when they can't beat the kaizo type levels that are made popular.

Seriously though, that is just pathetic. I'm getting tired of their conservativeness. They are just starting to show their age. I hope that the younger devs like Sakurai can show the older vets like Miyamoto how to make a game with deeper gameplay.

actually there is no online due to lag being a real issue

Also Nintendo definitely aren't stupid and the sure don't need to grow balls if they did we wouldn't have the Wii or Wii U they would have just given us the Gamecube 2
enigmaxtreme
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: enigmaxtreme316

Postby swarmster » 28 Dec 2012 01:37

Ugh, I may be in the minority, but I'd honestly rather them spend the time on additional professionally designed levels. I know the whole 'farm out your content to the community' thing has been the in thing for a few years, but the 'community' levels are generally, well, bad.

I mean, look at the two biggest farm games. The only neat Little Big Planet creations you see are semi-playable remakes of other games. And even those are few and far between. Or in Trials, all anyone can think of making is a track with a ridiculous jump, or a long series of near-impossible challenges that you'll be lucky to finish, let alone get a good time or enjoy playing. The 'community' more often than not fails to grasp what makes a level fun to run through.

Good level design certainly isn't easy, and playtesting levels a billion times certainly isn't fun, and I'd much rather my money go towards people who do it for a living and do it well than towards the promise of wading through a bunch of crap for the sake of an 'endless gameplay!' bulletpoint.
swarmster
Fairy
Fairy

Postby kdognumba1 » 28 Dec 2012 01:39

How about they first add in online multiplayer.
kdognumba1
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: kdog254
3DS: 1676-3698-5986
Wii: 5726-8719-5929-3614
PSN: jotaroxtreme
XBL: kdog254

Postby DonnyKD » 28 Dec 2012 02:01

Frankula wrote:They are so afraid of turning casual gamers away from their products. They won't put a level editor and online play in mario for fear that it will take over as the "way" to play mario, causing casual players to feel left out when they can't beat the kaizo type levels that are made popular.

I wonder how in your mind, that "We would need to carefully think about how to make such a system work. The important thing is that it has to be something that is uniquely Nintendo. Where a beginner can easily make something and have a good time, and simultaneously, someone who is really into Mario can delve into it deeper and make something more complex." equaled "we're not making a level editor because it would turn off casuals".
DonnyKD
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Jirachi » 28 Dec 2012 02:14

honestly id see why not. It would be one less reason to play a rom istead.
Seriously the only reason i even have a smw rom is lunar magic(i have the snes version too)

I like playing around with level editors. And no i don't try to copy kaizo or make just remake i used those ideas in a couple levels but 99% levels i made were levels i came up with on my own.
My favorite zelda game is Twilight Princess and Jirachi is my favorite pokemon <3 skype:SSBBKING

Jirachi
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Jirachifan
3DS: 1848-1701-2271
Wii: 5376-4745-6865-7604
PSN: TCDFTW
XBL: N and 360 fan

Postby Shaanyboi » 28 Dec 2012 02:21

He makes it sound like no one has ever done a level editor before. Get with it. It's 2012
Shaanyboi
Shyguy
Shyguy

XBL: Shaanyboi

Postby ridleysaria » 28 Dec 2012 02:25

kdognumba1 wrote:How about they first add in online multiplayer.

This.
Mighty No. 6978
ridleysaria
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: RidleySaria
3DS: 2664-2118-8366
Steam ID: ridleysaria
PSN: RidleySaria

Postby HylianHeroLOZ » 28 Dec 2012 05:50

swarmster wrote:Ugh, I may be in the minority, but I'd honestly rather them spend the time on additional professionally designed levels. I know the whole 'farm out your content to the community' thing has been the in thing for a few years, but the 'community' levels are generally, well, bad.

I mean, look at the two biggest farm games. The only neat Little Big Planet creations you see are semi-playable remakes of other games. And even those are few and far between. Or in Trials, all anyone can think of making is a track with a ridiculous jump, or a long series of near-impossible challenges that you'll be lucky to finish, let alone get a good time or enjoy playing. The 'community' more often than not fails to grasp what makes a level fun to run through.

Good level design certainly isn't easy, and playtesting levels a billion times certainly isn't fun, and I'd much rather my money go towards people who do it for a living and do it well than towards the promise of wading through a bunch of crap for the sake of an 'endless gameplay!' bulletpoint.

Definitely agree with you there, ive never been a big fan of build it yourself kind of games for that exact reason. Sure everyone can throw out their homemade stages, but only a fraction of them will be clever since many lack imagination when it comes to that. Id rather have excellent well made levels by the devs than a sandbox type of situation that would yield only weak levels and frankly i play to be entertained not to entertain myself with a level editor that might take more time than its worth.

Mario needs to move in a different direction IMO (especially NSMB)
HylianHeroLOZ
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: HylianHeroSnake
PSN: HylianHeroSnake
XBL: HylianHeroSnake

Postby tran4of3 » 28 Dec 2012 07:08

I think Nintendo should take from Valve's methods, and allow unofficial community-created maps, but when one custom map really stands out, they 'adopt' it and add it to the official (free) updates. That way, they still maintain quality control for their main product, but everyone can still fool with it as they so please.

It may be a moot point if NSMBU is incapable of being updated in this way. But if there's any chance at all, I hope they do so.

I'm imagining they recreate SMB3 or SMBW with NSMBU's engine, and I kinda get giddy at the idea. I'd even go for paid DLC for something like that.
tran4of3
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: iancsamson

Postby kevynwight » 28 Dec 2012 07:58

Won't happen. But for those saying user-created content sucks, Ibeg to differ. I refer you to Unreal Tournament (1999). Massive amounts of outstanding user mods, mutators, and maps!
kevynwight
Fairy
Fairy

Postby NeroSuferoth » 28 Dec 2012 08:39

Something like adding a level editor to a game suddenly turns into rocket science for Nintendo.
NeroSuferoth
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

PSN: Eonblue_
XBL: NEROSUFEROTH

Postby ridleysaria » 28 Dec 2012 08:58

A level editor on the Wii U Gamepad would be pretty frickin' rad. A hell of a lot easier to use than a standard twin stick controller. Imagine a Mario game akin to Little Big Planet, but without the crappy, floaty jump physics.
Mighty No. 6978
ridleysaria
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: RidleySaria
3DS: 2664-2118-8366
Steam ID: ridleysaria
PSN: RidleySaria

Postby BlueRangerVegeta » 28 Dec 2012 10:16

mariomaniac45213 wrote:It shouldn't even be a possibility it should've been or SHOULD be a reality by now (along with online play) no reason it shouldn't this day and age. I can only imagine what the millions of fans can come up with. I just hope it's more deep and involved than SSBB's level creator...

Here here. I couldnt agree more.
When it comes to 2D platformers (something Nintendo supposedly excels at) Sony has been spanking them hard with the LBP series.

PM me to add me to WiiU, PSN, Steam, or 3DS. Always up for a Brawl matchup too!
BlueRangerVegeta
Chocobo
Chocobo

3DS: 0430-8288-0846
PSN: Rcerboss

Postby BlueRangerVegeta » 28 Dec 2012 10:20

enigmaxtreme wrote:
Frankula wrote:Nintendo needs to grow some balls. They are so afraid of turning casual gamers away from their products. They won't put a level editor and online play in mario for fear that it will take over as the "way" to play mario, causing casual players to feel left out when they can't beat the kaizo type levels that are made popular.

Also Nintendo definitely aren't stupid and the sure don't need to grow balls if they did we wouldn't have the Wii or Wii U they would have just given us the Gamecube 2

If lag is an issue then I shudder at the weakness of the WiiU. Fortanutely I know you are just BSing. Lag isnt the issue, the Wii isnt THAT weak.

BlueRangerVegeta
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby Jikkle » 28 Dec 2012 10:51

Keep in mind there isn't anything stopping them from having a full 8 worlds of professional levels AND a level editor at the same time.

I do think it would be wise for Nintendo to add a level editor because it does add value and replayability to a game.

And yes you wade through a lot of badly created levels, levels made out of lewd objects, and endless remakes of other games but for me it's worth it to find those few gems out there where the creator put a lot of time, effort, and heart into their creation.

Which is why I respect Valve in that they foster an environment of user created content and highlight the quality items which is what I wish Nintendo and other companies would do. You never know you might have the next Miyamoto on your hands that only needed a canvas to work on.

Also how cool would it to be to have "developers pick" levels that the developers played and enjoyed and become featured for all to enjoy.
Jikkle
Goomba
Goomba

Postby M1 » 28 Dec 2012 13:18

BlueRangerVegeta wrote:
enigmaxtreme wrote:

If lag is an issue then I shudder at the weakness of the WiiU. Fortanutely I know you are just BSing. Lag isnt the issue, the Wii isnt THAT weak.

Lag has nothing to do with system's power.
Lag generally has to do with servers, ISPs, and how the online mode works.

Also LBP2 is not a platformer.
M1 is no more...
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby BlueRangerVegeta » 28 Dec 2012 14:21

M1 wrote:Lag has nothing to do with system's power.
Lag generally has to do with servers, ISPs, and how the online mode works.

Also LBP2 is not a platformer.

Oh, what is it then? A FPS? A racer? RPG? RTS? Dont just say it isnt a platformwr (which it is) without backing it up.

Lag may or may not be related to what the system can handle. In Nintendos case it is laziness pure and simple. Every NSMB after the original has been a lazy cash in.

BlueRangerVegeta
Chocobo
Chocobo

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion