XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localization

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localization

Postby robometal cowboy » 28 Dec 2012 14:24

XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localization
Click Here to View Story

"It was a constant fight even within our own organization. To our external sales reps, we'd be saying, ‘No, like you guys don't understand. There's tons of fans out there that are asking for this. There's a huge fan movement.' I mean, so yeah. In the end, I think we were right." - Ken Berry, XSEED

I'm glad someone at XSEED put up that fight. They managed to make a lot of fans in the states happy, and also pulled in their best-selling title in history. That's definitely a win-win for everyone!

link
User avatar
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot
 
Posts: 58873
Joined: 13 Dec 2009 00:23

XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localization

Postby VinLAURiA » 28 Dec 2012 14:43

So that settles it. Rainfall was the catalyst for this. I think that means we can confidently say that Rainfall was a success, and not just a minor push. That gives me hope for future movements.
Image
User avatar
VinLAURiA
Fairy
Fairy
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 14 May 2011 18:39
Location: New Jersey
3DS: 1161-0233-6943
Wii: 3605-8654-7612-5861
XBL: VinLAURiA

XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localization

Postby SuperNictendo » 28 Dec 2012 14:48

Well i'm just glad it made it. Talk about a close call
Will smith as Fox McCloud and Bruce Willis as Luke Skywalker in Star Fox vs Rogue Squadron: The Movie!!
X Y Safari is Psychic: Grumpig, Sigilyph and Girafarig
User avatar
SuperNictendo
Shyguy
Shyguy
 
Posts: 109
Joined: 03 Jun 2012 20:35
Location: Orlando, fl
NN ID: SuperNictendo
3DS: 1118 0218 6083

XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localization

Postby Ragnarokstorymaker » 28 Dec 2012 15:00

Huge fan movement=OPRainfall. Whether or not you guys want to admit it, movements like these DO have an impact even if its a little one.

EDIT: Wow, just got done reading the article, that part about the facebook post was really interesting, and a good reason why some devs/publishers stay tight lipped on some subjects.
Last edited by Ragnarokstorymaker on 28 Dec 2012 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Ragnarokstorymaker
Chocobo
Chocobo
 
Posts: 47
Joined: 29 Aug 2009 13:59
Location: Detroit
NN ID: RagnarokSM
PSN: RagnarokSM
XBL: DiehardStingray

XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localization

Postby AnoukiAgentYellow » 28 Dec 2012 15:02

One of the best games I've played this year, thank you XSEED, I hope to support you in the future.
Image
"I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth" -Jonathan Swift
User avatar
AnoukiAgentYellow
Chocobo
Chocobo
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 09 Dec 2010 10:24
Location: Nargothrond
3DS: 4038-6169-7919

XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localization

Postby cqallenwalker » 28 Dec 2012 15:35

And people say Operation Rainfall didn't do a darn thing.
cqallenwalker
 

Re: XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localizat

Postby M1 » 28 Dec 2012 16:39

Yeah I highly doubt Operation Rainfall was the reason.
XSeed has many better ways to get market research.

Anyways if all those Operation Rainfall supporters bought the game, it would have easily surpassed 100k without any trouble.
Instead TLS only sold about 50k.
M1 is no more...
User avatar
M1
Fairy
Fairy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: 02 Mar 2012 14:20

Re: XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localizat

Postby komicturtle92 » 28 Dec 2012 16:47

I think it's safer to go digital with games like these. It's beneficial for them and us since they won't have to worry about retailers and other issues. But anyhow, glad they did push it. I have YET to even get the game. I should pick it up. Missed out on many Wii games even though I have a collection of over 60.
Image
User avatar
komicturtle92
Shyguy
Shyguy
 
Posts: 104
Joined: 24 Apr 2012 14:47
NN ID: komicturtle
3DS: Ask me to add

XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localization

Postby Taxidous » 28 Dec 2012 16:48

Makes you wonder what they think would sell. JRPGs have done very well on American soil historically.
User avatar
Taxidous
Chocobo
Chocobo
 
Posts: 26
Joined: 02 Mar 2006 18:54
Location: Canada

XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localization

Postby kdognumba1 » 28 Dec 2012 17:47

I'm so happy that Xseed exists and that they fight to get good games over here. I hope to see them continue this and hope to see them get as many games possible out.
Image
User avatar
kdognumba1
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
 
Posts: 444
Joined: 12 Jun 2011 00:21
Location: Texas
NN ID: kdog254
3DS: 1676-3698-5986
Steam ID: kdog254
Wii: 5726-8719-5929-3614
PSN: jotaroxtreme
XBL: kdog254

Re: XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localizat

Postby Garlador » 28 Dec 2012 17:52

I'm glad they did it. The Last Story was a great game. Even if I wound up liking Xenoblade much better, The Last Story was the original game that drew my interest to Operation Rainfall due to the beautiful score of Nobuo Uematsu.

I'm disappointed they had to push for it as hard as they did. I wonder if that's what stopped "Pandora's Tower" from coming over if an overwhelmingly great RPG like The Last Story barely made the cut.
Garlador
Fairy
Fairy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: 17 Aug 2012 14:35

XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localization

Postby LegendofSantiago » 28 Dec 2012 18:12

It sounds like even part of XSEED didn't want to bring it over. I don't think the petitions did anything, but OR did build awareness and boosted sales for the games in Europe which lead to the games's localization. Reggie did say he was looking at the European sales to consider bringing them over, and he did bring xenoblade. For anyone wondering about Pandora's tower, it bombed in Europe so it's not coming over
Edit: recent events have made me question how good XSEED is at their job. They decided to bring over EXEEDIV (err...I probably wrote that wrong) and we still don't have it on the 3DS but they released it to the PSP's online shop which I doubt got it more traction. They also did a very poor job bringing over the last story. It took them forever and they didn't even have to do anything ...then they delayed it. I'm still grateful that we got it though. Fantastic game although not much of a jrpg
User avatar
LegendofSantiago
Goomba
Goomba
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 22 Jan 2012 10:15

Re: XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localizat

Postby rockman » 28 Dec 2012 18:44

Ameirca...the only place stupid enough to hire on staff that has no idea what the industry their working for is all about. The sooner the collapse the better.
User avatar
rockman
Fairy
Fairy
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 10 Aug 2009 15:55

Re: XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localizat

Postby M1 » 28 Dec 2012 19:02

rockman wrote:Ameirca...the only place stupid enough to hire on staff that has no idea what the industry their working for is all about. The sooner the collapse the better.

This is totally wrong.

They have the market research to tell them what games will do well in the American Market.

Sadly the American market is all about the shooters, sports, racers and realistic games.

Japanese games aren't very popular these days with gamers unless the games are targeted for "casuals".
M1 is no more...
User avatar
M1
Fairy
Fairy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: 02 Mar 2012 14:20

Re: XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localizat

Postby nGen » 28 Dec 2012 19:31

M1 wrote:
rockman wrote:Ameirca...the only place stupid enough to hire on staff that has no idea what the industry their working for is all about. The sooner the collapse the better.

This is totally wrong.

They have the market research to tell them what games will do well in the American Market.

Sadly the American market is all about the shooters, sports, racers and realistic games.

Japanese games aren't very popular these days with gamers unless the games are targeted for "casuals".


Which is why Xseed is known for publishing shooters, sports games, racers and games with realistic graphics instead of obscure RPGs.
Any objections lady?
User avatar
nGen
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant
 
Posts: 270
Joined: 14 May 2008 18:13
Location: Claremont
3DS: 1633-4277-3240
Wii: 8216060320213884

Re: XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localizat

Postby void3953 » 28 Dec 2012 19:40

VinLAURiA wrote:So that settles it. Rainfall was the catalyst for this. I think that means we can confidently say that Rainfall was a success, and not just a minor push. That gives me hope for future movements.

For XSEED publishing the game? Maybe.
For Nintendo publishing the game? Not at all.

And wasn't that the point of OP:Rainfall? To get Nintendo to publish the games? Nintendo published neither of them without outside intervention (GameStop, XSEED). In that regard, it failed spectacularly. There is nothing here that shows Nintendo is going to be changing their localization efforts in the future. All it says is that XSEED may be interested in publishing other Nintendo games if given the chance, which may never happen again. And there may be more future GameStop exclusives, which may never happen again. Nothing here says that Nintendo is going to start publishing more of their games overseas.

And I thought that was the whole point of OP:Rainfall. To get Nintendo, not other companies, to release more of their games outside of Japan.

Besides, both of these games had already been translated into English for the European market. Imagine if neither of them had received a translation before OP:Rainfall. Does anyone honestly believe that any company out there would have put in the money or effort to completely localize them? These games only made it because someone else already did all the hard work. Without that, they would never have been released.
void3953
Fairy
Fairy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: 25 Feb 2011 18:06

XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localization

Postby Ragnarokstorymaker » 28 Dec 2012 21:12

I love how you guys just refuse to give credit to Rainfall. ok, M1 sort of has a point, that if everyone who signed the petition got the game, 100k would be a no brainer, but let's say Nintendo brought over the games and OPR never existed, these games would have bombed. Were the blockbuster success'? No, but they did decently. OPR made people aware of the game if they weren't before, and that in itself is commendable.
Image
User avatar
Ragnarokstorymaker
Chocobo
Chocobo
 
Posts: 47
Joined: 29 Aug 2009 13:59
Location: Detroit
NN ID: RagnarokSM
PSN: RagnarokSM
XBL: DiehardStingray

Re: XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localizat

Postby younghavok » 28 Dec 2012 22:08

TLS sold over 150k in the states. Thats pretty damn good. Xenoblade did close to 400k, again pretty damn good for two new IPs set in a genre that isnt very popular anymore on a console where only casual titles sell well. Here's hoping for an HD remaster for the Wii U for both these titles.
younghavok
Goomba
Goomba
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 11 Dec 2012 13:47

XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localization

Postby LegendofSantiago » 28 Dec 2012 22:14

@Ragnarokstorymaker saying that the games would have bombed without Rainfall kind of proves that Nintendo shouldn't have brought the games over. If a massive fan campaign is needed for average at best sales on the console with the largest install base (and both games have pedigree and were received well by critics and fans alike) that doesn't leave confidence on future localizations.
User avatar
LegendofSantiago
Goomba
Goomba
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 22 Jan 2012 10:15

Re: XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localizat

Postby ChrisCanberg » 28 Dec 2012 23:47

I'm probably in the minority of this, but I enjoyed The Last Story moreso than Xenoblade.

The Last Story sucked me in as much as Kingdom Hearts did. That's pretty much on par with my favorite RPG. I love it very much, and thank you XSEED for bringing it over.
ChrisCanberg
Chocobo
Chocobo
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 16 Jun 2010 12:05

Re: XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localizat

Postby M1 » 29 Dec 2012 03:13

younghavok wrote:TLS sold over 150k in the states. Thats pretty damn good. Xenoblade did close to 400k, again pretty damn good for two new IPs set in a genre that isnt very popular anymore on a console where only casual titles sell well. Here's hoping for an HD remaster for the Wii U for both these titles.

Actually the last we heard two months ago TLS just fell short of 50k according to XSeed.
There is no way TLS pushed another 100k in the states even with the massive liquidation retailers gave it.

There is a reason why TLS was quickly reduced to $30 then on to $20 at most retailers before being discontinued.
There is also no way in hell Xenobalde has sold 400k copies by being a Gamestop exclusive in the states, especially with all hate Gamestop gets.

So quit using VGchartz numbers.
M1 is no more...
User avatar
M1
Fairy
Fairy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: 02 Mar 2012 14:20

Re: XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localizat

Postby Autosaver » 29 Dec 2012 03:51

The Last Story bombed.

Truly supportive fan base.
User avatar
Autosaver
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 594
Joined: 25 Feb 2010 19:54
NN ID: Autosaver

Re: XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localizat

Postby NINTENDOGAMER17 » 29 Dec 2012 05:47

I'm glad it all worked out for Xseed. Now, maybe they're willing to reconsider localizing Retro Game Challenge 2... I can dream anyways. I'll take what I can get, and I'm thankful these guys are working to localize the kind of content they are. Hats off to the Xseed team!
NINTENDOGAMER17
 

Re: XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localizat

Postby themightyme » 29 Dec 2012 06:34

void3953 wrote:
VinLAURiA wrote:So that settles it. Rainfall was the catalyst for this. I think that means we can confidently say that Rainfall was a success, and not just a minor push. That gives me hope for future movements.

For XSEED publishing the game? Maybe.
For Nintendo publishing the game? Not at all.

And wasn't that the point of OP:Rainfall? To get Nintendo to publish the games? Nintendo published neither of them without outside intervention (GameStop, XSEED). In that regard, it failed spectacularly. There is nothing here that shows Nintendo is going to be changing their localization efforts in the future. All it says is that XSEED may be interested in publishing other Nintendo games if given the chance, which may never happen again. And there may be more future GameStop exclusives, which may never happen again. Nothing here says that Nintendo is going to start publishing more of their games overseas.

And I thought that was the whole point of OP:Rainfall. To get Nintendo, not other companies, to release more of their games outside of Japan.

Besides, both of these games had already been translated into English for the European market. Imagine if neither of them had received a translation before OP:Rainfall. Does anyone honestly believe that any company out there would have put in the money or effort to completely localize them? These games only made it because someone else already did all the hard work. Without that, they would never have been released.
actually there is an article on the Operation rainfall webpage from The Last Story month in which we suggested alternative means of distribution in a round table... we discussed retailer exclusives, and 3rd party licensing, as well as digital distribution (on the wii u), and alt branding (like how cartoon network has adult swim, and toyota has lexus). Operation Rainfall's intention was NEVER so limited.... we just wanted the games in north america legitimately
themightyme
Fairy
Fairy
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 23 Sep 2009 02:10

Re: XSEED almost didn't pick up The Last Story for localizat

Postby Hamr » 29 Dec 2012 06:46

In spite of thinking that the Last Story was half-assed, I am still glad XSEED stepped up to release it here.
Image
User avatar
Hamr
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 686
Joined: 07 Apr 2010 15:44
Location: West Coast

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CSP, Google [Bot], HammerGalladeBro