Renegade Kid talks 3DS piracy, says it could cause devs t...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Renegade Kid talks 3DS piracy, says it could cause devs t...

Postby robometal cowboy » 30 Dec 2012 18:44

Renegade Kid talks 3DS piracy, says it could cause devs to leave
Click Here to View Story

If piracy gets bad on the 3DS, we will have no choice but to stop supporting the platform with new games. Some say that piracy leads to more game sales, claiming that it enables players to try before they buy. Bullshit. The percentage of people who will spend money on a game that they already got for free is surely very small – especially with so many “free” games already in the market. The line between what should/should not be free is getting very blurry.

Check out the full post here
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Renegade Kid talks 3DS piracy, says it could cause devs to l

Postby LegendofSantiago » 30 Dec 2012 18:48

But at least we can remove region locking, right guys!?
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Delta46 » 30 Dec 2012 18:52

@LegendofSantiago
That is the only, and very tempting reason to support the hack. But if it was hacked to remove region locking, that will stop the flow of amazing games coming out over in Japan, thus making your new region-free 3DS useless. I don't want the 3DS to become the PSP 2.0.
Delta46
Fairy
Fairy

3DS: 3780-9033-3686
PSN: Apple_Jack3264

Re: Renegade Kid talks 3DS piracy, says it could cause devs

Postby komicturtle92 » 30 Dec 2012 18:56

He has a point. But didn't Renegade release Mutant Mudds for .99 on iOS? Why isn't it the same for 3DS price wise?

Piracy runs FAR FAR FAR more rampent on smartphones and there has yet to be such a thing on 3DS.. Yet.
komicturtle92
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: komicturtle
3DS: Ask me to add

Postby 8bit101 » 30 Dec 2012 18:59

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/1121596044 ... racy-works

An interesting read if you ask me. But yeah... I'll be honest, I think releasing digital games on the Eshop might be the only safe 'bet' they have for now.
8bit101
Goomba
Goomba

Postby _DiGiTaL_ » 30 Dec 2012 19:02

Regionfree gaming is all I want. Besides most devs wont leave because of piracy.... Where will they go? Vita LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"If you send me a friend request on WiiU please put a message in your request thanks :D"
_DiGiTaL_
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: DiGiTaLM4N
3DS: 4570-7762-0419
Steam ID: _drainedlife_
XBL: DiGiTaLM4N

Postby LegendofSantiago » 30 Dec 2012 19:05

@_DiGiTaL_ iOS. The hack might make it region free for you...but it will prevent future games that could have been localized from being localized
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Postby kernal » 30 Dec 2012 19:12

eff you hackers.. i mean seriously.. do you have to be the worst? if it was just "i want to make my system region free!" sure, i get that. but its not. it never is. its, "im too damn cheap/lazy to buy a game so im just going to download them all" or "im going to completely ruin your experience in the online universe because im not nearly good enough to win on my own".. effing, idiots..
kernal
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: The_Kernal
3DS: 5284-2695-1711
Wii: 2445-3073-3064-6000
XBL: Branson Fury

Postby Regol » 30 Dec 2012 19:15

The line is really blurry, but I don't think there's enough room for anyone to assume for certain that it'll cripple the market. The most sold consoles in history have been easily pirated but I don't think that everyone who ever owned one did. There's never really been an study on that and to say that they'll leave the console if it ever becomes able to be pirated (which is posible in any console after a given time, no exceptions). Sometimes I wonder if some devs are just looking for excuses when it comes to talk about Nintendo consoles.
Last edited by Regol on 30 Dec 2012 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Regol
Fairy
Fairy

Postby LOLDSFAN » 30 Dec 2012 19:20

@8bit101

I agree with what Notch said. You know what, I actually started off in Minecraft with a cracked version. I didn't know anything about it and wanted to try it out. A few days later I went out and bought it.

Mr. Watsham needs to realize that piracy isn't going away and needs to either embrace it and develop around it, or get out of the gaming industry (sorry that was a tough ultimatum lol).
LOLDSFAN
Fairy
Fairy

Postby 8bit101 » 30 Dec 2012 19:28

LegendofSantiago wrote:@_DiGiTaL_ iOS. The hack might make it region free for you...but it will prevent future games that could have been localized from being localized

No. It s how you use it actually.
Controling a system kernel allows you to do many things. Making the 3DS run unsign code is one of them For that though, you need to create a loader, it doesn't come like that *snaps fingers.
As for the region locking, it does. XD

2. The problem is that hacking a system allows it to blow it out in the open. Sure, hacking it leads to that, but that doesn't mean that's exactly what the hackers want.

It's funny though, because the hackers said that they will not reveal the nature of the hack due to piracy and the fact that it's way to ez to fix. They called themselves elitists bastards. XD

However, that doesn't mean one of their colleagues will not leak it. (Which is also a problem)
8bit101
Goomba
Goomba

Postby 8bit101 » 30 Dec 2012 19:30

LOLDSFAN wrote:@8bit101

I agree with what Notch said. You know what, I actually started off in Minecraft with a cracked version. I didn't know anything about it and wanted to try it out. A few days later I went out and bought it.

Mr. Watsham needs to realize that piracy isn't going away and needs to either embrace it and develop around it, or get out of the gaming industry (sorry that was a tough ultimatum lol).

Yep couldn't have said it better. Piracy is inevitable. The only thing you can do is delay it.
So if something needs to be said, is trying to turn those pirates into customers. Problem is, it won't be easy when talking for consoles. However, I'm pretty sure it can be done.
Last edited by 8bit101 on 30 Dec 2012 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
8bit101
Goomba
Goomba

Postby intro94 » 30 Dec 2012 19:30

Regol wrote:The line is really blurry, but I don't think there's enough room for anyone to assume for certain that it'll cripple the market. The most sold consoles in history have been easily pirated but I don't think that everyone who ever owned one did. There's never really been an study on that and to say that they're leave the console if it ever becomes able to be pirated (which is posible in any console after a given time, no exceptions). Sometimes I wonder if some devs are just looking for excuses when it comes to talk about Nintendo consoles.

excuses? they said they will leave if piracy goes rampant as most ds developers did leave the ship long long ago, DS became the most pirated system ever. The system keeps selling, but no games are sold except pokemon in the last 3 years. On PS3 piracy is more difficult, due to the online restrictions, you cant just pirate black ops that easily and play online-which is the meat of so many ps3 games? so no, of course there are exceptions, gamecube was pirated?not in a practical way to affect developers.

Chinese stores ship R4s straight to your home, filled with prepackaged games(around 30 games), full online features and region unlocking if needed, plus customer support.All for less than 40 dollars.

Check their websites, their e-stores! its a huge business worldwide. Maybe US market protects it better from imports, but worldwide is a different story. DS is dead softwarewise, along with wii, but keeps seeling units-this benefits nintendo to some extent on the short run but affects seasoned gamers who cant get new experiences on the system.
R4SDHIC made hundreths of millions from piracy, more than several developers combined. You think piracy is nothing?is a huge business and a very profitable one.You think it doesnt affects meaningfully?we might not know exactly but i can ensure you this much- in some stores here they dont even sell games anymore, just hardware. Where does that leaves 3rd party developers?Just something to think about.
intro94
Fairy
Fairy

Postby midorigreen » 30 Dec 2012 19:31

That is what demos are for.
midorigreen
Fairy
Fairy

Postby intro94 » 30 Dec 2012 19:36

8bit101 wrote:
LegendofSantiago wrote:@_DiGiTaL_ iOS. The hack might make it region free for you...but it will prevent future games that could have been localized from being localized

No. It s how you use it actually.
Controling a system kernel allows you to do many things. Making the 3DS run unsign code is one of them For that though, you need to create a loader, it doesn't come like that *snaps fingers.
As for the region locking, it does. XD

2. The problem is that hacking a system allows it to blow it out in the open. Sure, hacking it leads to that, but that doesn't mean that's exactly what the hackers want.

It's funny though, because the hackers said that they will not reveal the nature of the hack due to piracy and the fact that it's way to ez to fix. They called themselves elitists bastards. XD

However, that doesn't mean one of their colleagues will not leak it. (Which is also a problem)

i dont think you understand what he meant. he means that if developers see their games are played throught region unlocking-they wont see a market to localize and abandon it altogether. Meaning the game just never will be sold at stores or online for that region.So players that dont buy R4s or similar devices that might brick your 3ds at some point, wont have a chance to try it.Remember, hacking did many things for wii, except restoring it from a brick state but it could accidentally lead to a brick.
intro94
Fairy
Fairy

Postby MrNintendo » 30 Dec 2012 19:38

I hate people who pirate games, they are scum. I think the 3DS should be region free, though.
THE SPEED GAMERS:
TSG is a group of people who do live Video Game Marathons for charities, from games like mario, zelda, pokemon etc. check them out http://www.thespeedgamers.com
MrNintendo
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: Pikmologist
3DS: 1762-2677-4693
PSN: Pikmologist
XBL: Pikmologist

Postby intro94 » 30 Dec 2012 19:42

midorigreen wrote:

Minecract is the kind of game that can be done by one person (and 3 without salary as the case of Minecraft)with such low costs ,no marketting, No physical copies, so selling a few is already good enough. Is a great game but we cant just have lots of minecraft games forever.

Tell me how many nintendo games are done by one person?Would you give up on Zelda and Mario for piracy to be embraced? What about even bigger budget games, like God of war ?Embracing means death and survival of the bare minimun, if you want that and zynga, go ahead enter the dark age of gaming by all means.

on a side note, theft wont go away, so lets embrace it? because its been around since the beginning of time yet we keep trying to stop people to take what is not theirs.
About pirates that try. How many people who shoplift actually go back to the store and pay up and say hum yeah i liked this shirt, worth paying. Im sure it has happened, but in the same proportion as pirates actually buying the game they tried.
Last edited by intro94 on 30 Dec 2012 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
intro94
Fairy
Fairy

Postby RedFire Mario » 30 Dec 2012 19:47

midorigreen wrote:

The problem is that most games do not have demos, like the entire DS library, so you need to make a risk by buying it to see if you love the game or not. Notch is fine with people pirating Minecraft so in case someone bought it and end up hating it.
RedFire Mario
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: RedFireMario

Postby TheWon » 30 Dec 2012 20:03

Region Free is the reason people say they want systems hack. Last time I check buying something is not a right. You want something you pay for it. Regardless of how difficult it may be to buy it. Import a game, and the system to play it. Nintendo didn't lie to you and remove the feature after you bought it. You knew this going into it so stop complaining about region free. Buy a Japanese 3DS and be done with it. If you can't afford too then get a dam job!
TheWon and Only: Jodecideion
Owner and Creator of PMK: Project Online Gaming

TheWon
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: JodeciDeionThWon
3DS: 2878-9585-2503
Wii: 4304-0845-8566-8280

Postby Pichu2010 » 30 Dec 2012 20:22

Region lock is bullsh*t for ANY system. But I don't condone hacking in order to unlock it.

It just sucks since the DS was region free.
Pichu2010
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Gold_Ultima » 30 Dec 2012 21:16

I think that Team Meat completely disagrees with Renegade Kid on this front....
Gold_Ultima
Fairy
Fairy

Postby LOLDSFAN » 30 Dec 2012 21:22

intro94 wrote:on a side note, theft wont go away, so lets embrace it? because its been around since the beginning of time yet we keep trying to stop people to take what is not theirs.
About pirates that try. How many people who shoplift actually go back to the store and pay up and say hum yeah i liked this shirt, worth paying. Im sure it has happened, but in the same proportion as pirates actually buying the game they tried.

I think you need to re-read what Notch said lol.

Pirating and theft are completely different things. When you pirate something you get a copy of something and the original copy is still there.

If you shoplift a shirt the shirt is gone.

You can copy a game thousands of times, but there's only one shirt and you can't copy it unless you know how to sew lol.
LOLDSFAN
Fairy
Fairy

Postby intro94 » 30 Dec 2012 21:26

RedFire Mario wrote:
midorigreen wrote:

The problem is that most games do not have demos, like the entire DS library, so you need to make a risk by buying it to see if you love the game or not. Notch is fine with people pirating Minecraft so in case someone bought it and end up hating it.

back then you could rent DS games. You could watch reviews just as well if anything as well as gameplay. You know that minecraft is very different from a properly developed game. It means squat what notch likes, he doesnt cares or thinks about the industry, because i expect games like upcoming Smash, Zelda on Wii U or Monster Hunter, and i care about those developers. Not notch ,because he might never make a game again.Hell, he quit updating properly Minecraft ages ago but hes getting money alright.Again, if you cant see the diferences between a 1 man game and studios like retro, you need to catch up with reality big time.
intro94
Fairy
Fairy

Postby intro94 » 30 Dec 2012 21:35

LOLDSFAN wrote:
intro94 wrote:on a side note, theft wont go away, so lets embrace it? because its been around since the beginning of time yet we keep trying to stop people to take what is not theirs.

I think you need to re-read what Notch said lol.

Pirating and theft are completely different things. When you pirate something you get a copy of something and the original copy is still there.

If you shoplift a shirt the shirt is gone.

You can copy a game thousands of times, but there's only one shirt and you can't copy it unless you know how to sew lol.

yes, but im alluding the fact that both are illegal things that we both know will persist. Thinking "oh they should give up on piracy its not going away .so lets embrace it!" is essentially the same as taking the police out since crime will persist.

Of course im aware the original copy will remain-unpaid for! since theres no need to get it anymore.No actual need that is, except- to feel clean and hope on the goodwill of the people, and if it was up to me, that would be wonderful. But if the world worked that way, on good will and believing that people would always do the right thing, we would not need laws. Unfortunately people is not like that and we have laws and regulations. Thats why they are different types of crimes. By copying originals you dont pay crap to the makers or royalities, just get a free ride.
intro94
Fairy
Fairy

Postby kdognumba1 » 30 Dec 2012 21:36

I feel the same way about this as I already said in the previous post. Thing is, I think region locking sucks and that having the system so locked down we can't enjoy user mods and homebrew sucks but people have ruined this for everybody.

Cheaters in running wild in online games, people corrupting others save files, people stealing games from people who worked night and day making them, and people taking down entire networks is why our systems are so locked down. Unfortunately, because of this, people that WILL get all their games legitimately are screwed as many games from other regions that we want and will pay big for won't be brought over because of the low sales they make (for various reasons).
kdognumba1
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: kdog254
3DS: 1676-3698-5986
Wii: 5726-8719-5929-3614
PSN: jotaroxtreme
XBL: kdog254

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion