Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time re...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time re...

Postby robometal cowboy » 03 Jan 2013 14:18

Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time restraints
Click Here to View Story

"In Bowser's Castle, we were planning on having the player complete a number of different mini-games as they went along, but unfortunately we had to cut this because we didn't have time. I'm sure these mini-games would have been very silly and fun, so that was a bit of a shame." - producer Kensuke Tanabe

"If we had, then we would certainly have had to put a lot of effort into making events to really show off their uniqueness." - Co-director Naohiko Aoyama

I'm always amazed with just how much content Nintendo's devs can come up with. While these ideas may not have made the cut, I'm sure they'll be recycled for another Nintendo title down the road.

Link
User avatar
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot
 
Posts: 60728
Joined: 13 Dec 2009 00:23

Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time restr

Postby Noxide » 03 Jan 2013 14:22

I always assumed this was the case, I mean they had to rework the entire game from what we can assume was PMTYD gameplay on a 3DS into the Sticker Star game play we know today.
I really just don't care as long as it's orange.
User avatar
Noxide
Goomba
Goomba
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 08 Nov 2008 18:03
Location: Canada

Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time restr

Postby KingMario128 » 03 Jan 2013 14:33

The game is great dont matter what people said, is different but really fun
User avatar
KingMario128
Goomba
Goomba
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 24 May 2012 11:05

Re: Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time r

Postby gtt » 03 Jan 2013 14:55

I may never finish this game due to how disrespectful it is of the players time. They should have looked at that.
User avatar
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach
 
Posts: 1627
Joined: 11 May 2010 22:56
Location: Arrakis, Known as Dune. Home of the Spice.
NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Re: Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time r

Postby BaNGeR » 03 Jan 2013 15:41

I guess they didn't have time to add:
- Context to some of the incredibly abstract "puzzles."
- A non-tedious way to work in Thing stickers.
- A way to solve puzzles with similar Thing stickers (all types of vacuum working on a puzzle instead of a specific one).
- Balance between battle stickers and Thing stickers on boss fights.
- A way to not be forced to use at least 1 sticker per round, or a way to not waste 3 if hitting the jackpot but defeating enemies with the first sticker.
- Actual motivation to engage in combat with enemies outside of shine Goombas in world 4.

Amongst others.

2012: The year of two terrible Mario games.
BaNGeR
Fairy
Fairy
 
Posts: 0
Joined: 08 Aug 2012 13:55

Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time restr

Postby MoldyClay » 03 Jan 2013 17:00

Considering it was supposed to be a real RPG and Miyamoto came in and said "I don't want things to be the way most people want them" *upends table*, this makes a lot of sense.

@BaNGeR

Two terrible games? What was the 2nd game? And "disappointing" or "missed opportunity" is not the same as terrible.
Last edited by MoldyClay on 03 Jan 2013 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu
 
Posts: 3727
Joined: 25 Feb 2008 04:34
Location: NJ
NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Re: Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time r

Postby sergiomonty » 03 Jan 2013 17:01

BaNGeR wrote:- A way to solve puzzles with similar Thing stickers (all types of vacuum working on a puzzle instead of a specific one).


What are you talking about? you can solve many puzzles with similar things. In the lava level you can use a fridge or an air conditioner. In the jungle you can use a vertical vacuum or the goat. Etc. And the combat wasn't tedious in any particular way, I couldn't think of a more simplified RPG.

And about the article, I knew it... the final level looked kinda short.
User avatar
sergiomonty
Flicky
Flicky
 
Posts: 70
Joined: 15 Jul 2012 16:07

Re: Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time r

Postby lotso shoes » 03 Jan 2013 17:48

MoldyClay wrote:Two terrible games? What was the 2nd game? And "disappointing" or "missed opportunity" is not the same as terrible.

I'm guessing the other one he's referring to is NSMB2?
User avatar
lotso shoes
Flicky
Flicky
 
Posts: 69
Joined: 12 Dec 2009 11:42

Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time restr

Postby Roth » 03 Jan 2013 17:59

It sure sounds like they didn't put 110% of their effort into the game.. what is a shame.. /:C\
Follow me on Twitter
User avatar
Roth
Shyguy
Shyguy
 
Posts: 110
Joined: 20 Nov 2007 18:28
Location: Lowell, MA
NN ID: RothSothy (Steam too
3DS: 1118-1639-5657
Wii: 2646 0430 6265 2527
PSN: RSTrax
XBL: rothsothy

Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time restr

Postby TheLastBlade » 03 Jan 2013 18:02

The game could've worked and it SHOULD'VE; but it didn't....
It's my stage now!
User avatar
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad
 
Posts: 864
Joined: 21 Jul 2011 02:56

Re: Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time r

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 03 Jan 2013 18:12

I knew it! This game should have been delayed to 2013 instead of Luigi's Mansion 2.

…Oh well I was looking forward more to the latter anyway. :lol:
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
User avatar
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker
 
Posts: 1173
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 01:10
Location: The World Beyond This And That
NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time restr

Postby Pichu2010 » 03 Jan 2013 18:23

So long as Miyamoto is around we'll never have Paper Mario 3. I mean don't get me wrong, Sticker and even Super are good games imo and I like them, but god damnit now we have to wait another 5 years for even the POSSIBILITY of Paper Mario 3.
User avatar
Pichu2010
Chocobo
Chocobo
 
Posts: 27
Joined: 15 Jun 2010 16:30

Re: Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time r

Postby Einar1025 » 03 Jan 2013 18:58

Pichu2010 wrote:So long as Miyamoto is around we'll never have Paper Mario 3. I mean don't get me wrong, Sticker and even Super are good games imo and I like them, but god damnit now we have to wait another 5 years for even the POSSIBILITY of Paper Mario 3.



I have a bad feeling it will be longer. I am willing to bet this game won't sell as well as they would like, then tell us how its our fault for not supporting a game they screwed up.
User avatar
Einar1025
Octorok
Octorok
 
Posts: 161
Joined: 22 Sep 2009 10:44
Wii: 8035-1568-0048-2975
PSN: DrybonesZer0
XBL: Drybones0

Re: Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time r

Postby Noxide » 03 Jan 2013 22:27

Einar1025 wrote:
Pichu2010 wrote:So long as Miyamoto is around we'll never have Paper Mario 3. I mean don't get me wrong, Sticker and even Super are good games imo and I like them, but god damnit now we have to wait another 5 years for even the POSSIBILITY of Paper Mario 3.



I have a bad feeling it will be longer. I am willing to bet this game won't sell as well as they would like, then tell us how its our fault for not supporting a game they screwed up.


I think it has already sold a million copies in it's first 6 weeks, selling faster than Super Paper Mario which is the highest selling Paper Mario game... so there's that to consider.
I really just don't care as long as it's orange.
User avatar
Noxide
Goomba
Goomba
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 08 Nov 2008 18:03
Location: Canada

Re: Paper Mario: Sticker Star lost content due to dev time r

Postby gtt » 04 Jan 2013 15:04

Noxide wrote:
Einar1025 wrote:
Pichu2010 wrote:So long as Miyamoto is around we'll never have Paper Mario 3. I mean don't get me wrong, Sticker and even Super are good games imo and I like them, but god damnit now we have to wait another 5 years for even the POSSIBILITY of Paper Mario 3.



I have a bad feeling it will be longer. I am willing to bet this game won't sell as well as they would like, then tell us how its our fault for not supporting a game they screwed up.


I think it has already sold a million copies in it's first 6 weeks, selling faster than Super Paper Mario which is the highest selling Paper Mario game... so there's that to consider.


I think that's even worse. it sends the message "this is what paper mario should be" and it just goes more and more simple and platforming based.
User avatar
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach
 
Posts: 1627
Joined: 11 May 2010 22:56
Location: Arrakis, Known as Dune. Home of the Spice.
NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815


Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Joeman1