Crysis 3 not hitting Wii U due to a 'business decision'

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Postby robometal cowboy » 07 Jan 2013 15:09

Click Here to View Story

“It’s a business decision between EA and Nintendo. I’d love to see it on Wii U, but what I love to see and what gets done at the end of the day are two different things. Even so, I could initiate it but someone has to sell it, right? If that business decision doesn’t make sense, or seems to not make sense for them, it’s… not possible for us to make it. We can’t publish ourselves, and that’s the bottom line.” - Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli

Always the same old song and dance with Nintendo platforms. People cry about the lack of third party support, third parties won't give Nintendo platforms their big games, third parties put out sub-par ports and party games on Nintendo platforms, those titles don't sell and then third parties say they don't make bank on Nintendo platforms. Yep, all makes perfect sense to me!

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: Crysis 3 not hitting Wii U due to a 'business decision'

Postby Mike_Intellivision » 07 Jan 2013 15:16

Time for Nintendo to start buying some development houses.
I can see the point ... but the porting to the WiiU should be simple enough to cover the costs and build the market.

Mike from Morgantown
Mike from Morgantown

(PM me if younwould like to be WiiU friends .
... I know that sounds strange at best but I am looking to fill out my friends list.)
Mike_Intellivision
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: Mike_INTV
Wii: 1624-6601-1126-1492

Postby Windsor » 07 Jan 2013 15:17

robometal cowboy wrote:Always the same old song and dance with Nintendo platforms. People cry about the lack of third party support, third parties won't give Nintendo platforms their big games, third parties put out sub-par ports and party games on Nintendo platforms, those titles don't sell and then third parties say they don't make bank on Nintendo platforms. Yep, all makes perfect sense to me!

I agree completely, but do you know what's even worse? When Nintendo actually gets a third party exclusive that people want to play and then people complain that it's a Nintendo exclusive. Talking about Bayonetta 2. People complain that Nintendo has no third party support so they go so far out of their way to get that third party support that they fund the development of a game that nobody else will, and just because they know people want it. People of course then complain that they have to buy a Nintendo system to play the game.

More on topic, I cannot fathom how completely remastering Crysis 1 to run on 360 and PS3 was worth their time, but porting Crysis 3 to Wii-U isn't, because why?
A faithful GoNintendo reader/comment leaver for three years!
Here's my Twitter page. If you stay far away no one would blame you.
https://twitter.com/WindsorNEH
Windsor
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: WindsorNH
3DS: 1075-0722-4693

Postby gtt » 07 Jan 2013 15:19

if they did port it. it would sell maybe 50k copies. maybe.

nintendo fans don't buy 3rd party games. simple as that.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby jasonmaivia » 07 Jan 2013 15:24

If 3rd party support won't get serious about support Wii U, I'm not buying one. First party support alone is never enough for me, since they only make up a tiny portion of my video gaming life.
Last edited by jasonmaivia on 07 Jan 2013 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
jasonmaivia
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: JasonMaivia
Wii: 0413 6199 9387 2979

Postby Serebii » 07 Jan 2013 15:27

Can't be a coincidence that this happened after the stuff that was said to go down between Nintendo and EA over the online infrastructure
Serebii
Fairy
Fairy

Postby rahnyc4 » 07 Jan 2013 15:32

robometal cowboy wrote:Crysis 3 not hitting Wii U due to a 'business decision'
Click Here to View Story

Always the same old song and dance with Nintendo platforms. People cry about the lack of third party support, third parties won't give Nintendo platforms their big games, third parties put out sub-par ports and party games on Nintendo platforms, those titles don't sell and then third parties say they don't make bank on Nintendo platforms. Yep, all makes perfect sense to me!

Link

i agree with this as well. Third parties put low budget crap on nintendo platforms and expect to bank, as if nintendo fans buy anything. what surprises me is they don't seem to bitch much when their big budget games on xbox 360 and ps3 dont bank. I wonder why they expect these low quality offerings they put on nintendo to sell.
rahnyc4
Fairy
Fairy

Postby BlueRangerVegeta » 07 Jan 2013 15:40

gtt wrote:if they did port it. it would sell maybe 50k copies. maybe.

Lets be fair now. Crysis wouldnt sell because it is a terrible series. I never got the love the 1st title recieved but nobody liked the 2nd title.

PM me to add me to WiiU, PSN, Steam, or 3DS. Always up for a Brawl matchup too!
BlueRangerVegeta
Chocobo
Chocobo

3DS: 0430-8288-0846
PSN: Rcerboss

Postby Lockdale » 07 Jan 2013 15:43

I just read a post about Team Ninja making working on a couple of new Wii U projects. Why? Because they got their hands on the hardware early, their enthusiastic about the the Wii U, and willing to take a risk. I just don't get that vibe from this dev.
Lockdale
Fairy
Fairy

Postby younghavok » 07 Jan 2013 15:43

If you look at what EA has done so far on Wii U it actually makes sense for them to add Crysis 3 since the engine already runs on the hardware. Them not doing it seems like somebody is bitter about something. If Crysis 3 doesnt make sense, why did Madden? Mass Effect 3? Fifa? What sense did those make? EA is still bitter about the online deal and I assume this is their way of taking it out on them. Fortunately the Crysis games are kinda boring anyway so its not really a loss.

ZombiU>Crysis 2
younghavok
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Triforce of the Gods » 07 Jan 2013 16:10

I really don't give a crap about EA. The only reason I changed my mind about boycotting Mass Effect 3 until the never-gonna-happen Trilogy release is because I nabbed the 1 & 2 bundle on Steam for 10 bucks.
Triforce of the Gods
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: TriforceoftheGod
3DS: 2921-9263-7348
Steam ID: TriforceoftheGods

Postby Meelow100 » 07 Jan 2013 16:10

@gtt

Expect that's false, Zombi U sold great, Frozenbyte was happy with Trine 2 Wii U sales and not happy with PS3/360 version of Trine 2, and theirs more.
Meelow100
Fairy
Fairy

Crysis 3

Postby Super Missile » 07 Jan 2013 16:22

You mean generic modern action video game type A7 isn't coming to WiiU? Aw sugar cookies!
Super Missile
Fairy
Fairy

Postby LSF22 » 07 Jan 2013 16:32

it wouldn't do any good to port it now anyways. it will come out months later and if you want to play it, your gonna play it on the 360 or ps3. by the time it releases the sales will be horrible and then the dev and EA will have another example of their games not selling even though it was doomed from the start.

like someone posted on ign, consumers are waiting for more games before they buy a WiiU. Publishers are waiting for more WiiUs to sell before they bring their games over to the WiiU.

Nintendo needs to release another big 1st party system seller to drive up the install base so these developers/publishers can stop b****ing and moaning about it not being a good business decision to port their game to the WiiU.

God forbid your game be good enough to sell systems on its own, you need Nintendo to do everything for you.
LSF22
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: LionsFan
XBL: xxLSF22xx

Postby Entity » 07 Jan 2013 16:41

business decision eh? Yeah right. It is really silly from Nintendo though to start to plan something with a company just to drop it. But they are stubborn and proud. Guess EA is also.

I would really love to see more 3rd party support. Very happy that Ubi jumped straight in and made ZombiU. Been playing it a good deal and it rocks. And Sega ported Sonic Kart over and they don't complain. And we remember how friendly they were with Nintendo back in the day. Why keep a grudge? Why not earn money when you can? (Take 2 I am LOOKING at you)

Very happy with Bayonetta though. Can't wait!

gtt:

Maybe some do. I know I don't. So far I don't have a Nintendo game on the Wii U and my Wii was filled with 3rd party games. Even the GC had plenty...Even the N64..all the way back to the NES. At least in my house ;)

But for the masses this is a bad sign. And a bad sign for the WiiU. Do something, Nintendo!
Entity
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: Alcovoices

Postby M1 » 07 Jan 2013 16:47

LSF22 wrote:it wouldn't do any good to port it now anyways. it will come out months later and if you want to play it, your gonna play it on the 360 or ps3. by the time it releases the sales will be horrible and then the dev and EA will have another example of their games not selling even though it was doomed from the start.

like someone posted on ign, consumers are waiting for more games before they buy a WiiU. Publishers are waiting for more WiiUs to sell before they bring their games over to the WiiU.

Nintendo needs to release another big 1st party system seller to drive up the install base so these developers/publishers can stop b****ing and moaning about it not being a good business decision to port their game to the WiiU.

God forbid your game be good enough to sell systems on its own, you need Nintendo to do everything for you.

Actually it was 3rd parties who told Nintendo to delay the other first party titles into Q1, so they could sell there games!

This game was mentioned in the EA origin rumor.
If Nintendo would have used Origin EA would have supported Wii u better.

Also lets not forget Mass Effect 3 bombed on Wii U killing support from EA
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Entity » 07 Jan 2013 16:59

ME3 bombed already? I haven't even bought it yet.

They should have released the triology anyway.
Entity
Fairy
Fairy

Postby plan9 » 07 Jan 2013 17:01

We've been in the same tiring loop with the 3rd party support for the past 15 years, if not more. Every now and then there are small sparks of hope in the horizon (mostly coinciding with new hardware launch) and then it's back to the same old BS. 3rd parties might be able to sell some on the Nintendo platforms if they put any effort in their games and actually released something other than 1 year old ports at full price, cheap spin-offs or sports games that are 1 year behind the other platforms in the tech department or just inexcusable roster updates in a new box! And nope, by something other I don't mean lazy minigame collections either. I don't get how this is so hard for these suit monkeys to comprehend, put out quality stuff on Nintendo platforms and it will sell and make you money! Contrary to what you seem to think, most Nintendo gamers also want to play some other games on the platform than just Nintendo published titles.
plan9
Fairy
Fairy

Postby M1 » 07 Jan 2013 17:16

Entity wrote:ME3 bombed already? I haven't even bought it yet.

Yes because EA announced and released the trilogy a week before the Wii u version for less than $60.

Everyone bought the trilogy which included the extra content of the Wii u version.

@plan9
3rd parties need proof the market will buy their games before committing resources.
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby mariomaniac45213 » 07 Jan 2013 17:19

Why do people still even hope for good 3rd party support on Nintendo Home consoles anymore? Face it people we will NEVER get treated the same as Sony/Microsoft when it comes to 3rd parties unless Sony/Microsoft go out of business and if that happens that's gonna be bad for the industry. The best I can say is buy more than just 1 console a generation if you want to experience ALL the 3rd party games. Frankly, there is fault on everyone's part of why there is no good 3rd party support on Nintendo consoles.

-3rd Parties don't like to compete with Nintendo titles
-Nintendo makes underpowered hardware or uses some weird medium that 3rd Parties don't want to use
-3rd Parties make crappy rushed ports or lazy spin-offs to "test" the market and Ninty fans don't want it
-Nintendo doesn't buy timed exclusivity or help advertise as much as Sony/Microsoft do
-Nintendo will forever be known as "kiddy" or "casual" so the "hardcore" would never touch a Nintendo system and 3rd parties believe that as well.
-When the rare AAA quality 3rd party game comes to a Nintendo platform, the fans overlook it for NSMB sequel #3,000

So basically there just is NO hope left.... :(
Last edited by mariomaniac45213 on 07 Jan 2013 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Finally got a PS3 sooo add me if you want. :)
mariomaniac45213
Toad
Toad

Wii: 0257-0866-8958-0148
PSN: TheDestructo1994
XBL: TheDestructo94

Postby RD3AV5 » 07 Jan 2013 17:20

BlueRangerVegeta wrote:
gtt wrote:if they did port it. it would sell maybe 50k copies. maybe.

Lets be fair now. Crysis wouldnt sell because it is a terrible series. I never got the love the 1st title recieved but nobody liked the 2nd title.

Wow lotta hate for something you probably never really played. I really liked Crysis and Crysis 2 had some really clever and fun multiplayer to it. It's a good series. And I'm a Nintendo fan and I would buy it for Wii U if it came out.
RD3AV5
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Entity » 07 Jan 2013 17:28

M1 wrote:
Entity wrote:ME3 bombed already? I haven't even bought it yet.

Yes because EA announced and released the trilogy a week before the Wii u version for less than $60.

Everyone bought the trilogy which included the extra content of the Wii u version.

In that case they really have to blame themselves. We Nintendo fans also want to get the full package (don't misquote me on that one, OK? hehe) and not just the last game in a trilogy with a comic attached. Maybe if they would have given the Wii U the trilogy we would be more willing to pick it up?

Was at Gamestop today here in Oslo, and some 6-7 (maybe even more) copies of the game was already in the used area. The only game that topped that was Fifa 13 (The demo was so crap I deleted it almost instantly).

So why can't third parties actually make an effort? Maybe their games would sell!

Oh well. Back to ZombiU soon I guess. Ubi at least try!
Entity
Fairy
Fairy

Postby ecco6t9 » 07 Jan 2013 17:45

EA is not needed anymore to make or break a system.

Furthermore I find it humorous whenever people mention "Nintendo should just make games for other systems!"
The 3rd parties already hate competing with Nintendo as a 1st party do people really believe the 3rd parties want to compete with Nintendo as a 3rd party?
ecco6t9
Fairy
Fairy

Postby jasonmaivia » 07 Jan 2013 17:48

ecco6t9 wrote:EA is not needed anymore to make or break a system.

Furthermore I find it humorous whenever people mention "Nintendo should just make games for other systems!"
The 3rd parties already hate competing with Nintendo as a 1st party do people really believe the 3rd parties want to compete with Nintendo as a 3rd party?

With Nintendo as a 3rd party developer on other systems, those other companies will have no choice...which isn't much different than if they'd made games on a Nintendo console.
jasonmaivia
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: JasonMaivia
Wii: 0413 6199 9387 2979

Postby komicturtle92 » 07 Jan 2013 18:57

I honestly believe that fallout between Nintendo and EA did happen. Last year, EA was all up Nintendo's ass unlike before. Then, a year goes by and they are on mute. I knew the reason Cysis 3 wasn't coming to Wii U was a business decision. EA is extremely bitter towards Nintendo. Reminds me of the extreme action EA took against Sega with Dreamcast and cutting all support.

EA needs to grow up. Had they been in charge of the online component, Nintendo would lose the other parties such as Ubisoft, Activision, WB, etc. Because EA would probably delay or prevent patches to fix games that they consider a competitor with their products. Nothing is stopping them from allowing Activision to patch up Call of Duty when they want Battlefield to get the most attention and money.

It's really silly.
komicturtle92
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: komicturtle
3DS: Ask me to add

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion