Team Ninja feels Nintendo is trying to broaden their mark...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Team Ninja feels Nintendo is trying to broaden their mark...

Postby robometal cowboy » 07 Jan 2013 15:55

Team Ninja feels Nintendo is trying to broaden their market with Wii U
Click Here to View Story

A portion of an ONM interview with Team Ninja's Yasuda...

ONM: Do you feel as though the release of more adult, "hardcore" games like Ninja Gaiden and ZombiU signals a new direction for Nintendo?

Yasuda: There are still familiar titles like Mario, so rather than changing direction, I feel they are trying to broaden the audience.

Full interview here
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Team Ninja feels Nintendo is trying to broaden their market

Postby scikoolaid » 07 Jan 2013 16:00

You know I just have to ask, just how much more can you broaden the audience of games?

I don't think offering the TVii is going to magically make more ppl play games, but it might be a great use for families who don't want to buy the WiiU only for their kid's games. Can we focus on just making real fresh and new games, and bringing back the old ones that people still love with (godforbid the word!) sequels!?!
scikoolaid
Fairy
Fairy

Re: Team Ninja feels Nintendo is trying to broaden their mar

Postby Eternal Rain » 07 Jan 2013 16:05

I feel like ever since Iwata took over from Yamauchi that's kinda been Nintendo's goal altogether. I feel like the Yamauchi era, while still bringing us lots of memorable games, was focused more on making powerful hardware, even if it cost support (NES and SNES may have done well, but the N64 caused a decline because the focus on power and not using a new, cheaper, medium for putting games on caused third party support to drop, and Gamecube had a similar problem with it's lack of online despite being almost on par with the original Xbox in terms of raw power). Iwata era Nintendo is more focused on trying to bring in more customers with new ideas rather than the old fashioned way of "do the same thing, just make it look better."

I know even Nintendo themselves admit the Wii still had a misstep in that there might have been a little too much focus on the new casual crowd instead of trying to equally appeal to both casuals and core gamers, but I think that as long as the Wii U continues on it's own path it'll do a good job finding that sweet spot of "equal appeal to both audiences." (at this point I've learned to just block out idiotic "hardcorez" who think that just because suddenly elderly people are now interested in playing games that suddenly means "their hobby" is now "ruined")
Eternal Rain
Boo
Boo

Postby BlueRangerVegeta » 07 Jan 2013 16:16

Wish we could get some better devs into WiiU

PM me to add me to WiiU, PSN, Steam, or 3DS. Always up for a Brawl matchup too!
BlueRangerVegeta
Chocobo
Chocobo

3DS: 0430-8288-0846
PSN: Rcerboss

Postby jasonmaivia » 07 Jan 2013 16:23

ONM: What are you working on now? Will it be on Wii U?

Hayashi: We are working on an action game, and we are looking into other titles for Wii U.

Wait...does this mean that the action title they're currently working on isn't for Wii U or does this mean that the current project is also Wii U-bound?
jasonmaivia
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: JasonMaivia
Wii: 0413 6199 9387 2979

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 07 Jan 2013 16:32

@jasonmaivia
I read it as they're working on some action game thats Wii U-bound plus looking into bringing over other titles as well to the Wii U.
Innovation is a funny thing in gaming... Do too much and you alienate fans of the genre, but don't do enough and you're blamed for making the same ol' game.Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
Wii: 3983-9278-9384-2345
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby younghavok » 07 Jan 2013 18:15

imo gaming has been in decline the past 7 years. The 128 bit era was the peak. Its all me too crap now and fps titles are pretty much all that seem to matter. I hope Nintendo continues what its doing, I had tremondous amounts of fun on the Wii and the Wii U will hopefully continue that, if not, I'll just stick to my golden era titles and be content living in the past
younghavok
Fairy
Fairy

Postby komicturtle92 » 07 Jan 2013 18:38

This has been Nintendo's goal since the Gamecube I'd think. Nintendo always wanted something for everyone. And they kinda do- it's just some 3rd parties are not doing their part.
komicturtle92
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: komicturtle
3DS: Ask me to add

Postby kdognumba1 » 07 Jan 2013 20:12

It's definitely them trying to broaden their market.
kdognumba1
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: kdog254
3DS: 1676-3698-5986
Wii: 5726-8719-5929-3614
PSN: jotaroxtreme
XBL: kdog254

Postby jasonmaivia » 07 Jan 2013 22:14

komicturtle92 wrote:This has been Nintendo's goal since the Gamecube I'd think. Nintendo always wanted something for everyone. And they kinda do- it's just some 3rd parties are not doing their part.

I don't think Gamecube did anything to reach an expanded market. Sony was King and Microsoft stole more Nintendo gamers away from Nintendo, thanks to massive third party support. The Gamecube was just a more powerful machine, like the N64 and SNES before it, but this time, unlike its competitors, it didn't have what it needed to keep 3rd party companies and gamers interested.

The Wii showed me that I DO want just a more powerful machine (missed out on a ton of great games), but I don't mind new innovative ideas if it's not going to hurt things.
Forced waggle = hurt
Pointer = helped

Mario Power Tennis:
Gamecube version = :D
Wii version = :x

Pikmin, Metroid Prime, and Resident Evil 4 saw improvements with the pointer.
Zelda: Twilight Princess had better controls when using the pointer for things like the Bow & arrow, but sword fighting was pretty bad (waggle).
jasonmaivia
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: JasonMaivia
Wii: 0413 6199 9387 2979

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion