Nintendo reconfirms Virtual Console for Wii U

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Postby robometal cowboy » 08 Jan 2013 15:32

Click Here to View Story

"We do not have any specifics to share at this time. However, we are moving ahead with development of Virtual Console for Wii U, and we plan to make it so you can play it on the Wii U GamePad alone." - Nintendo rep

I honestly am not that interested in the VC for Wii U. Unless we can share VC game purchases between Wii/3DS/Wii U, I'm not going to buy those games all over again. I'd love to play classic games on the GamePad screen, but not at another $5 a pop.

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Postby Rhyno15 » 08 Jan 2013 15:34

I won't be so upset if they're not shared between 3DS and Wii U, but if my Wii VC doesn't transfer over, I'll be livid.

Livid I say!
Rhyno15
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: Rhyno15
3DS: 3566-1679-0826
Steam ID: rhyno15

Postby LegendofSantiago » 08 Jan 2013 15:35

They told me this about a week ago. Here is the quote I shared on twitter awhile back:
I first want to let you know that we are moving ahead with development of Virtual Console for Wii U, which will allow you to download a wide variety of games which were previously released on older Nintendo systems.
We also don't have any information to suggest whether games from the Nintendo GameCube or Wii console might be added. In case you weren't already aware, I can tell you that we are planning to make it so you can play these games on the Wii U GamePad alone.

It's good to see that it's coming. I never touched wiiware/VC on the wii, but I'll probably take advantage of the servace once it comes to wii U
Last edited by LegendofSantiago on 08 Jan 2013 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Postby MoldyClay » 08 Jan 2013 15:36

Agreed. If we have to re-purchase games (which is already stupid that you can't link 3DS and Wii/U to play already purchased VC games; You know, like how you don't have to buy PS1 games twice to play on both PSP/V or PS3?), then this is stupid as hell and Nintendo needs to just quit pretending to have a grasp on online and just hire people that aren't idiots to take over.

If I have spent money on a VC game, I should not have to buy it 3 times to play on everything. Especially since you can buy something like Resident Evil 1 and play it on PS3, PSP and Vita.

And more importantly, shouldn't have to shell out more money to be allowed to play on the Wii U Gamepad and have it on the Wii U menu instead of the unnecessary Wii Menu.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby Nintendude92 » 08 Jan 2013 15:37

Wondering how they'll handle wii virtual console purchases. I expect the worst given how the Wii content is currently accessed.
Nintendude92
Goomba
Goomba

XBL: Nintendude92

Postby kdognumba1 » 08 Jan 2013 15:41

Ya, if my Wii content doesn't get up and running on my Wii U and they ask me to repurchase the content AGAIN, I'll be extremely upset and disappointed.
kdognumba1
Metool
Metool

NN ID: kdog254
3DS: 1676-3698-5986
Steam ID: kdog254
Wii: 5726-8719-5929-3614
PSN: jotaroxtreme
XBL: kdog254

Re: Nintendo reconfirms Virtual Console for Wii U

Postby Shaanyboi » 08 Jan 2013 15:44

If I have to re-buy anything I already got on the Wii VC, then f*** that.
Shaanyboi
Octorok
Octorok

XBL: Shaanyboi

Postby PaperLink64 » 08 Jan 2013 15:45

Integrate the Wii Shop with the Wii U and 3DS eShops and please continue the current Virtual Console libraries without having to restart it all over again.

And put back the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, dammit.
PaperLink64
Octorok
Octorok

3DS: 1805-3015-8051
Wii: 6643-1766-9039-6758
PSN: PaperLink64HD

Postby zeeroid » 08 Jan 2013 15:45

Shaanyboi wrote:If I have to re-buy anything I already got on the Wii VC, then f*** that.

Excited to play VC on the GamePad, but sadly this.
zeeroid
Flicky
Flicky

3DS: 1676-3679-7062
PSN: Zeer0id

Postby Hawk » 08 Jan 2013 15:46

I've just spent the last year buying all of my favorite NES and SNES games in their original cartridge form, so a WiiU VC will be mostly useless to me.

If it had App Store prices, maybe I would feel otherwise.
Hawk
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby jasonmaivia » 08 Jan 2013 15:48

I would love to see Dreamcast, Saturn (probably not), Gamecube, and later day Arcade games (into the 21st century) come to Virtual Console. They'd have have a steady flow of games coming every week. No more droughts.

I'd also love to see more imports from Japan. Bring over Densha de Go!, Taito/SquareEnix!

I'd also like to see Virtual Console games with fixes, touched-up graphics, and additional content (even online multiplayer modes), like some of the Xbox Live Arcade games, and purchased VC games on Wii and 3DS should be free to re-download.

They should also have the option (always available) to configure button setup for any controller for Wii/Wii U. I STRONGLY dislike having B = Run and A = Jump on Classic Controllers for games like Super Mario Bros.. With the option, and at any time during the game (while paused/in the home menu), I can switch to Y = Run, B = Jump, and any other button/stick/d-pad controls. Maybe I'd like X to Jump, or maybe R to run. The option should be there.
Last edited by jasonmaivia on 08 Jan 2013 15:59, edited 3 times in total.
jasonmaivia
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: jasonmaivia
Wii: 0413 6199 9387 2979

Postby gatorboi352 » 08 Jan 2013 15:51

I really don't see where it's implied anywhere that Wii VC stuff will not transfer over to the upcoming Wii U VC. Actually, that could very well be one of the core reasons it's taking so long to be implemented. That, and working out a better VC presentation over 1080p widescreen. Chill out, people.
gatorboi352
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: gatorboi352
Wii: 6358 4960 5851 8155

Postby LDAF » 08 Jan 2013 15:55

Still interested on seeing how they manage Gamecube Virtual Console due to the analog shoulder buttons.
LDAF
Goomba
Goomba

3DS: 3737 9697 5034
Wii: 2339 3016 3215 1252

Postby MaggotCakes » 08 Jan 2013 16:02

Don't say that raw MEATS!! of course VC on Wii U is important!!! I want the user based accounts as much as the next guy but just being able to transfer my already purchased Wii VC games to the Wii U and play them in a better "emulator with save states like the on 3DS...on the gamepad... is a much better proposition than what is currently possible... But I won't buy all those games all over again either... in fact I'm not buying any VC games until this is resolved...
Oh, so delicious. For lunch.
MaggotCakes
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: MaggotCakes

Postby bomblord » 08 Jan 2013 16:05

I'm hoping for gamecube games with some decent upscaling, fingers crossed that they actually put some effort into making it look good or just flat out render it at a higher resolution.
bomblord
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby PEICanada7 » 08 Jan 2013 16:13

"I honestly am not that interested in the VC for Wii U. Unless we can share VC game purchases between Wii/3DS/Wii U, I'm not going to buy those games all over again."

They'll never share them between the 3DS, and home consoles, that's just never going to happen. But maybe Nintendo's next handheld system might share them with the Wii U. However Wii to Wii U, sure why wouldn't that happen? You can already transfer everything over right now, so what's stopping them from letting you redownload enhanced version of the games for the Wii U VC. They already did it on the 3DS, for the ambassador program.

Plus are you saying that if Nintendo put out some up res'd GC games on the Wii U VC, that you can play in wide-screen on your TV, or gamepad, that you wouldn't buy them? Yeah right. I think this could be a great announcement at either GDC, or E3 2013, depending on how long it takes for them to get it done. They could have a huge launch planned with, who knows what? Maybe they're in talks with Sega to put DreamCast games on the new Wii U VC. Why not? Sega was a partner in the first VC, and didn't do DreamCast games probably do to the file size. That's not a problem anymore, so I could totally see a announcement of DreamCast game coming to Wii U VC in the near future.
PEICanada7

Postby swarmster » 08 Jan 2013 16:34

LDAF wrote:Still interested on seeing how they manage Gamecube Virtual Console due to the analog shoulder buttons.

lol, assuming GC support is something they're interested in (it was fully playable on last gen's system, so I'm not sure there would be much demand already?), it would probably go something like this:

Nintendo employee 1: Alright, analog shoulders. Which games are going to need that?
Nintendo employee 2: Umm...
Nintendo employee 1: ...
Nintendo employee 1: Okay, done!
swarmster
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Shaanyboi » 08 Jan 2013 16:37

PEICanada7 wrote:"I honestly am not that interested in the VC for Wii U. Unless we can share VC game purchases between Wii/3DS/Wii U, I'm not going to buy those games all over again."

They'll never share them between the 3DS, and home consoles, that's just never going to happen. But maybe Nintendo's next handheld system might share them with the Wii U. However Wii to Wii U, sure why wouldn't that happen? You can already transfer everything over right now, so what's stopping them from letting you redownload enhanced version of the games for the Wii U VC. They already did it on the 3DS, for the ambassador program.

Plus are you saying that if Nintendo put out some up res'd GC games on the Wii U VC, that you can play in wide-screen on your TV, or gamepad, that you wouldn't buy them? Yeah right. I think this could be a great announcement at either GDC, or E3 2013, depending on how long it takes for them to get it done. They could have a huge launch planned with, who knows what? Maybe they're in talks with Sega to put DreamCast games on the new Wii U VC. Why not? Sega was a partner in the first VC, and didn't do DreamCast games probably do to the file size. That's not a problem anymore, so I could totally see a announcement of DreamCast game coming to Wii U VC in the near future.

"Hey guys! I know you already probably have a bunch of backlog that you're trying to get through, but how about we add a bunch of old games that you've already played onto that list?!"
Shaanyboi
Octorok
Octorok

XBL: Shaanyboi

Postby bobyoko » 08 Jan 2013 16:40

@ Hawk

I used to think that too, until i realized old consoles look like absolute garbage on current tvs. not to mention how much physical space they take up. (i guess i did mention it... ; )

i'm surprised to see RMC's comment about not buying the games a third (or fourth) time, as i've been commenting about that here recently, and found no one wanting to have any discussion about the issue whatsoever. really, though, there's already a fix for this situation, and it's called hack your wii (or wiiu in wii mode) to play emulators. it's the ONLY current alternative to being ripped off again and again for games you've already purchased multiple times. nintendo is going to keep selling those old titles as long as you keep buying them. realistically, you're only ripping yourself off by accepting current market strategies. this comes from a LONG time collector who got tired of buying mario simply for the up-resed or portable versions. it's not worth it. think about it, if you bought star wars right away on vhs, then again on dvd, and then again on blue ray, are you going to buy it again when it goes digital? not if you have a clue, cause that stuff's already free (and legally speaking you've already purchased the right to view it). also, didn't you already obtain the access to copyright in the original purchase? why be forced to rebuy this access to copywritten data? this is how corporate interests run the world, because we let them.
bobyoko
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Freeload » 08 Jan 2013 16:46

So, how does this work?

When they finally get it sorted does the VC on the part of Wii U that runs the Wii become obsolete?

Are there going to be two VC services?

Can you transfer you Wii VC games to the Wii U VC?

Or can you only play certain games on the Wii U VC, that aren't on the Wii one?

It's so convoluted and confusing.
Last edited by Freeload on 08 Jan 2013 16:55, edited 3 times in total.
Freeload
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Swedish_Otaku » 08 Jan 2013 16:52

It should just be the same service... why is it so damn hard to take the logical steps Nintendo?
Swedish_Otaku
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Swedish_otaku

Postby gojiguy » 08 Jan 2013 16:56

why not just update the existing VC...
gojiguy
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby gtt » 08 Jan 2013 17:02

the VC needs to be unified service. period. I should be able to play my purchases on any nintendo device 3ds and forward. that's added value. that's what gets me to spend more than 0$ on anymore NES roms.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby VinceFox » 08 Jan 2013 17:04

Things the Big N should do to make Wii U's VC serice better than that of the predecessor (Wii) and the 3DS
1. No cheaping out on new titles
2. Make sure 3rd parties are on board (including them begging Konami to instate TG-16/PC Engine/PC-FX/TurboDuo support)
3. Imports should be available (but should be less pricey than before)
4. Should be constantly pushing out new VC games like Europe and Japan counterparts
5. Bring back VC Arcade with possibly Nintendo's games (hopefully, they will convince WB Games and Atari to chip in via their Midway and Atari arcade library)
6. If Gamecube is part of Wii U VC - please allow import games like "Mr. Driller: Drill Land" be available to buy
Last edited by VinceFox on 08 Jan 2013 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
VinceFox
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: RetroToonMaster
3DS: 3351-4181-1924
PSN: RetroToonFan

Postby enigmaxtreme » 08 Jan 2013 17:09

Come on Dreamcast/Saturn!!!!!
enigmaxtreme
Chocobo
Chocobo