Whatever happened to the devs that left Retro to form Arm...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Whatever happened to the devs that left Retro to form Arm...

Postby robometal cowboy » 09 Jan 2013 14:39

Whatever happened to the devs that left Retro to form Armature
Click Here to View Story

Remember when a number of big-name devs left Retro to start Armature? It seemed that they were interested in working on more powerful hardware. That's interesting, because in late 2009, it seems that Armature was contributing to "a military FPS game for the Nintendo Wii system". Unless I'm mistaken, we never saw that project come to life. Funny to think that these devs left Retro to work on non-Nintendo platforms, only to wind up back where they started.

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: Whatever happened to the devs that left Retro to form Ar

Postby Eternal Rain » 09 Jan 2013 14:45

Going by that quote, they might as well have joined Treyarch or something.

Still, looking forward to what Retro's next project is (I'm hoping for a new IP and not just another Metroid game like a bunch of people keep spouting off like parrots).
Eternal Rain
Toad
Toad

Whatever happened to the devs that left Retro to form Armatu

Postby Lockdale » 09 Jan 2013 14:53

The probably realized how hard it is to start your own company and maybe never got publisher support. But I hope the best for anyone starting their own thing.
Lockdale
Fairy
Fairy

Postby tellis429 » 09 Jan 2013 15:02

@Eternal Rain I don't see what's wrong with either choice since it isn't like metroid pops out 5 times a year like mario not to mention it's one of the few nintendo franchises that would be jaw dropping beautiful in HD. I could go for either, but retro will be the reason I buy a Wii U or not.

I don't know why anyone would leave retro just to end up making generic first person shooters on a system like the wii.
tellis429
Flicky
Flicky

Postby MaggotCakes » 09 Jan 2013 15:06

I am an animator ... I applied to armature studio cause they had a position open... never got a response so I contacted them and they said... yeah the position is still open but we're not ready to hire yet... True story...

but it makes me wonder... what are they even doing? anything?
Oh, so delicious. For lunch.
MaggotCakes
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: MaggotCakes

Postby Eternal Rain » 09 Jan 2013 15:07

tellis429 wrote:@Eternal Rain I don't see what's wrong with either choice since it isn't like metroid pops out 5 times a year like mario not to mention it's one of the few nintendo franchises that would be jaw dropping beautiful in HD. I could go for either, but retro will be the reason I buy a Wii U or not.

I don't know why anyone would leave retro just to end up making generic first person shooters on a system like the wii.

Well I'll admit, IF Retro is making another Metroid, then sure I'll be all over it. The Prime games were great (barring Prime 2 and it's annoying use of the "light and dark worlds" mechanic), and I'm sure it would look awesome in HD. I'm just simply tired of that being the ONLY game people seem to want from them. They worked on nothing but Metroid for the good part of the last decade (Prime 1 had to have started development in 1999 or 2000, and the last Metroid thing they did was the Prime Trilogy in 2009 which involved reworking aspects of Prime 1 and 2 for Wii), only recently getting a break with Donkey Kong and Mario Kart. I'm just saying, lets let the company branch out some more, if they become nothing but "the Metroid company" then they're kinda making themselves a one trick pony (even GameFreak does non-Pokemon games from time to time).
Eternal Rain
Toad
Toad

Postby DonkeyKonga » 09 Jan 2013 15:14

DonkeyKonga
Fairy
Fairy

Postby internet » 09 Jan 2013 17:11

It's not that they left , it's the way they did very unprofessional but that's the industry . It's too bad, limited to very very small contract work , and surely they didn't truly believe they would work on "original" project . I mean , it's not a secret ,the top 2 and top 20 of that cod studio made out like bandits , millions for a single year . Just like those others guys from guitar hero a freaking clone of a japanese game . The reality is those high players with very real skills can grab a big , very big , life altering paycheck by playing their cards right. And that include feeding story about wanting to change , how nintendo is limiting them , and how another militaristic fps is just what the industry need. I don't blame them i would do the same if i had their skills.
Now vision and all that , yeah at the end of the day those fps shooter everyone are so jacked up about are just two button combo gallery with barely any interaction . The "aim" button is the worst thing ever , it gave us silly name like quick sniping and other stupidity . And to me , truly honestly , anyone can do that, that's what those guys think anyway , so why not trying to do the militaristic shooter the "hardcore" will go crazy about because of some beards or location or fictitious enemies . It's big money .

Just don't go on and on about how nintendo is forcing them while they simply helped that small studio having an output at all with inviting them to do a new genre "rare"ly done by big studios anymore aka dkc , and working on mk7 of course.
internet
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby PEICanada7 » 09 Jan 2013 19:07

I love how people keep saying things like "a number of people left Retro." It was 3 people who left. It's not like half the studio of 60+ people up and left. It was only 3 people. People leave studios all the time, so I don't know why years later, people act like this was bigger than it was. Retro hired numerous people since than. Some who have left other studio's like the guy from Naughty Dog.
PEICanada7

Postby Entity » 09 Jan 2013 19:24

PEICanada7 wrote:I love how people keep saying things like "a number of people left Retro." It was 3 people who left. It's not like half the studio of 60+ people up and left. It was only 3 people. People leave studios all the time, so I don't know why years later, people act like this was bigger than it was. Retro hired numerous people since than. Some who have left other studio's like the guy from Naughty Dog.

Agreed!

But it's a slow news day. We need the gossip :lol:
Entity
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: Alcovoices

Postby ddddd » 09 Jan 2013 19:55

Rumor says it was DKCR the reason for leaving the studio.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion