DreamRift - Piracy is a problem because of publisher perc...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

DreamRift - Piracy is a problem because of publisher perc...

Postby robometal cowboy » 11 Jan 2013 05:22

DreamRift - Piracy is a problem because of publisher perception, no matter what the reality
Click Here to View Story

"We definitely found that piracy was a significant factor in our Nintendo DS development efforts. When we approached publishers to propose potential game projects with them, most of them brought up their concerns about piracy at some point.

Many publishers even cited the issue of piracy as a specific reason why they decided to back away from our game project, especially with it being an original intellectual property concept.

The publishers' fear was that, in a climate where piracy is commonplace, original games and new mechanics are far less likely to be successful than games based on previously successful mechanics, established licenses, sequels, and sports." - DreamRift co-founder Peter Ong

There was indeed a piracy issue on DS. There very would could be one on 3DS if things continue down the path their on. The point Ong is trying to make is, publishers make the final call. If publishers think piracy is an issue, it can ruin the development of new games, even if there isn't a real piracy issue at all.

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

DreamRift - Piracy is a problem because of publisher percept

Postby Freeload » 11 Jan 2013 08:51

Well that's certainly more believable than when developers say their game's lack of sales and profit is because of piracy.

99.9% of pirates wouldn't have bought your game anyway.

FACT.
Freeload
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Postby grcpan » 11 Jan 2013 09:42

Self-publish it on the e-shop
win
grcpan
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Re: DreamRift - Piracy is a problem because of publisher per

Postby Mike_Intellivision » 11 Jan 2013 11:05

Freeload wrote:Well that's certainly more believable than when developers say their game's lack of sales and profit is because of piracy.

99.9% of pirates wouldn't have bought your game anyway.

FACT.

While I agree with the general assertion that most pirates would not have bought the game, I am not familiar with any research which has directly asked pirates if they would buy the game that has reached a conclusion at the level you state as fact.

Also, if you think about it, it is not necessarily the first-level pirates who are the main issue, it is their actions of distribution afterwards. They get the game and crack the game and pass along the game to someone who wants it -- and may have bought it until they found a "friend" willing to give it to them for free. And while I admit that I do not have the research to state this as fact, I can say that this is how computer software was distributed on college campuses in the 1980s and 1990s and how music moved from cassette player to cassette player in the 1970s and 1980s. So the theory I pose is plausible.

(The pirates also sometimes set up sites for distribution that make it easy for those without technical skills to get things for free. Napster, while not directly perceived as piracy during its heyday but basically labeled as such after the shutdown of its original form, fits that description.)

Mike from Morgantown
Mike from Morgantown

(PM me if younwould like to be WiiU friends .
... I know that sounds strange at best but I am looking to fill out my friends list.)
Mike_Intellivision
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Mike_INTV
Wii: 1624-6601-1126-1492

Postby varoennauraa » 11 Jan 2013 12:47

I know many pirates, who use all the money they can/have on the products that they appreciate. And pirate the rest. So the industry doesn't lose any money from their activities.

Some of them even buy the stuff that they had pirated but found to be so good, that they felt like they needed to support that kind of quality.

I sadly know a couple of 100% unrepenting pirates too, who don't give a damn what happens to the developers.
varoennauraa
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Jirachi » 11 Jan 2013 13:33

The way i see it,is pirates usally only pirate from big name companies anyways.
I mean pokemon is the MOST pirated ds game were as i doubt pirates would know about or even care if they did know about,a game like say my world,my way.

I know a few pirates who only pirate games they already own because it's easier to do lp with roms. And any other game they pirate is has been out of circulation for years or the price to buy it has gone far beyond the msrp(like radiant historia did)

If you cannot buy a game even if you want to i'm not really sure that's still immoral. it might still be illegal but buying that game wouldn't benefit the publisher if it goes out of circulation.

And if you buy a new copy of dragon quest v for 100 dollars all square enix will see out of it is the msrp price....
My favorite zelda game is Twilight Princess and Jirachi is my favorite pokemon <3 skype:SSBBKING

My youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR-OCE ... a9XCznbJ6A
Jirachi
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Jirachifan
3DS: 1848-1701-2271
Wii: 5376-4745-6865-7604
PSN: TCDFTW
XBL: N and 360 fan

Postby kdognumba1 » 11 Jan 2013 15:04

This is indeed a problem. Also because 3DS is set up to be more connected, publishers could start implementing the same tactics they do on consoles.
kdognumba1
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: kdog254
3DS: 1676-3698-5986
Steam ID: kdog254
Wii: 5726-8719-5929-3614
PSN: jotaroxtreme
XBL: kdog254

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion