GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - Contributing in a meani...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - Contributing in a meani...

Postby robometal cowboy » 11 Jan 2013 06:06

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - Contributing in a meaningful way
Click Here to View Story

I want to start this off by saying that I don't believe you guys and gals to be snark internet trolls. I've met some of the kindest, most wonderful people ever via GoNintendo. This is just a thought I had that I really wanted to get off my chest. Kills me to see stuff like this. See you in a few, short hours.

I remember seeing a special for this show on TLC last year, but it seems that IGN is involved with sharing another season their YouTube Channel every week. It may not be your cup of tea, but I thought the idea was cute enough, plus I loved seeing all the different cosplayers at these events. I bookmarked the video earlier today in order to watch at night.

11 minutes of harmless fluff, but I found it to be enjoyable nonetheless. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of heading to the comments section afterwards. That's where I found comments like these.

Nasty comments on the internet. There's a real shocker, right? I know, this kind of thing is old news. I thought that while reading the comments...but then I realized something. Comments like this aren't a new thing, but the fact that seeing stuff like this is taken as par for the course started to irk me. Instead of expecting insightful comments, constructive criticism and kind words, we expect to see vulgar bashing and hurtful thoughts? I'm all for freedom of speech...but I still find it sad that some people decide to use that freedom for comments like these.

Say whatever you like, you have that right. Just know that there are real people out there on the other end of your comments. The things you say may seem like part a virtual world stuck in a computer, but those words could have a profound impact on someone. A snarky retort that rolls off your back could absolutely ruin someone else's day.

This obviously applies to gamers in more ways than just the video above. We comment on gaming message boards, talk to one another on sites like this, voice/text chat with each other in games. Going on voice chat in today's games, you expect to be called MODS BAN ME PLEASE, retard and a number of other names. You expect to have terrible interactions with people. You expect to have racist phrases blurted at you. It's truly upsetting that things are this way, but those spouting don't seem to care one bit.

Again, I believe you all to be wonderful people. I've only ever had fantastic interactions with all of you. I'm very, very lucky to have a corner of the internet with such kind and caring people. I just really felt that this was something I had to get off my chest.

For any of you that have been attacked online via a game/messageboard/site, know that you have others that care about you. Never let anyone get you down with mean-spirited comments. The internet and gaming worlds can be wonderful places, and you have plenty of people on this site that are more than ready to remind you of that.

I promise you that I'll always be just an email away, and I always have your back. If you've ever been beaten down by comments like this, you don't have to suffer them alone.
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - Contributing in a meaningf

Postby HylianHeroLOZ » 11 Jan 2013 06:08

The internet is indeed a nasty place, and more than most times i refer to the dark parts as mos eisley like from star wars, nothing more than a wretched hive of scum and villainy. But there are nice places now and then, its always good to know you are willing to extend a helping hand to us though RMC if ever there were a situation like this, thats the kind of stuff that makes me always proud to hang around gonintendo.
Last edited by HylianHeroLOZ on 11 Jan 2013 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
HylianHeroLOZ
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: HylianHeroSnake
PSN: HylianHeroSnake
XBL: HylianHeroSnake

Re: GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - Contributing in a mean

Postby Triforce Blade X » 11 Jan 2013 06:11

RMC, I just have to say you are a wonderful being. I wish a lot of people would consider their words and actions more carefully. I find the most depressing place on the internet to be Youtube comment sections, and CNN comment sections. I generally find much nicer people on Gonintendo, Nintendo Life and Miiverse, but it's a shame that everywhere you go you find people who have nothing to say but bitterness and hatred.
Triforce Blade X
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: TriforceBladeX

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - Please be kind to your fel

Postby LinkMaster111 » 11 Jan 2013 06:17

If everyone was half as nice as RMC the internet would be a much better place.
LinkMaster111
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: Star-Lord

Postby RawmeatCowboy » 11 Jan 2013 06:26

Thank you, gang. You're all pretty swell people as well!

I honestly hope people know I made this post simple to make people stop and think. I also made it because it really bugged me. Finally, I made it so I could once again talk about how truly great I think the majority of you are. Case in point, the comments that have already come in.

Thanks for being awesome, gang.
RawmeatCowboy
Site Owner

Postby elfman13 » 11 Jan 2013 06:33

You want my honest reaction to this video?
I was actually on line to get into the speed dating at NYCC and got turned away because I didn't sign up in advance. After seeing this video I was even more upset that I didn't get in then I was before because I saw a great girl like this that I missed the opportunity of meeting.
Comments like the ones you've posted (And the ones that the people geek love fan facebook page) just disgust me.
elfman13
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Sammet » 11 Jan 2013 06:36

I just don't understand what anyone gets out of it. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I brought up with the ol' if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all philosophy. Like why would I waste my time being spiteful? I'm glad there are well moderated sites like gonintendo with decent folk about.

(Kinda wish I'd found you lot earlier, I only stumbled upon this site a few months back whilst looking for some wii u news)
PM me and I'll add you to my 3DS - feel free to add my NNID for WiiU too!
Sammet
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: Samwiise
3DS: 0817-3844-7533
Wii: 6169 7599 9537 5328

Postby RawmeatCowboy » 11 Jan 2013 06:41

Sammet wrote:I just don't understand what anyone gets out of it. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I brought up with the ol' if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all philosophy. Like why would I waste my time being spiteful? I'm glad there are well moderated sites like gonintendo with decent folk about.

(Kinda wish I'd found you lot earlier, I only stumbled upon this site a few months back whilst looking for some wii u news)

Well thank you for the kind words, sir. Always glad to have a new face around here. Hopefully you've been enjoying your time! Trust me, there's a great group of readers here that I'm sure you'll get to know/love.
RawmeatCowboy
Site Owner

Postby joshb1983 » 11 Jan 2013 06:49

Dang double post...
Last edited by joshb1983 on 11 Jan 2013 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
joshb1983
Octorok
Octorok

Postby joshb1983 » 11 Jan 2013 06:53

I posted a video of my dog on youtube once, and this old lady just attacked me out of no where in the comments. She called me a worthless, fat, retard and said I would never be anything else. I was like, "Dang it Mom, when did you learn how to use a computer?" She said my brother taught her... On a serious note, people like this are just evil. I find that about a third of the population are pure evil, and another third are ignorant. It's sad. This world needs to change.
joshb1983
Octorok
Octorok

Postby Koopzilla » 11 Jan 2013 07:10

I watched that show on TLC, I actually liked it. I was wondering when more would come out, I guess it didn't get picked up.

I agree that people around here aren't nearly as nasty as most of the internet, and generally seem like good people, even if you don't agree with them. Maybe because you set a good example yourself.

I don't even get what these people are talking about, the girl is not even fat or ugly. But, even if she was it's sad that people would be so heartless. I hope she doesn't read the comments, she seemed like a nice person.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

NN ID: Koopzilla
3DS: 2793-0595-9972

Postby ajpecanic » 11 Jan 2013 07:26

I have to say that GoNintendo is one of the nicest places on the Internet. Even when people disagree here, they tend to be cordial about it. Thanks for posting this, RMC. The few times that I've contacted you by email, you've always been kind enough to reply even though you're so busy. You are truly appreciated.
ajpecanic

Postby Frank » 11 Jan 2013 07:33

[edit]ugh, massively tl:dr, sorry guys.

Mean spirited youtube comments are nothing new, but sometimes it does take you aback just how cruel they can be.

At the start of December, a friend of mine posted a video to youtube. It was a 75 minute long zombie movie he'd made whilst working on the large hadron collider at CERN, filmed in the tunnels around the complex with a cast and crew composed entirely of physicists. He got a load of positive coverage for it, everywhere from Gizmodo to NBC (here's a really nice article from Slate.com about it), and at first the youtube comments were really supportive.

After the press attention died down however, people started finding the video on youtube without any of the back story, and the comments have been atrocious to say the least. I mean, I don't think anyone involved is under the impression that it's an objectively good movie and I'm not saying everyone's going to get it. Everyone is an amateur at best and there was no money or film studio involved, but it was great fun to make, in general everyone's really proud of it, there are a lot of in-jokes for sciencey types and it's a good laugh to watch with friends (especially sciencey ones) and a few beers.

But the youtube comments... they're just vulgar, like you said RMC, I think people forget when they're commenting that the people they're commenting on can and likely will read what they've said (though I've made a point not to read any more since the new year). In general people tend to be kind here, but I have seen some pretty cruel stuff posted in the comments about particular cosplayers, who it later turned out were members of the GN community.

Having that kind of interaction with people viewing something you've made has the potential to be really cool, but I've got a few projects coming up that will probably go on youtube and I'll be very tempted to entirely disable comments for them next time, or at the very least never ever read them, which is just sad because I'm sure there are cool people out there with interesting things to say.
Frank
Fairy
Fairy

Postby jesse himself » 11 Jan 2013 07:39

i'm glad someone brought this up. it's something i really hate. it's the one thing that makes me nervous about creating an account on youtube so i can put my music up for people to listen to. i've seen some of the comments people make on there and it makes me so sad. some people are just out to bring other people down. the thought that any lunatic with a keyboard can spew out insults onto the internet for the whole world to see is a scary thing.
jesse himself
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: SoulSurfer
3DS: 5155-3098-3001
PSN: daifukukid

Postby Elfteiroh » 11 Jan 2013 07:50

Yeah, I agree with you all... This is really stupid. Also, here is a great place, especially for this.
Also, Thanks RMC. :P I don't usually go to places I know I'll get that kind of comments, and usually scoff at them, but in a short while I'll be pretty much exposed to such comments (I'm finishing University and will start working on games full time... and you all know how some games get bashed pretty badly sometimes...) and I don't know how I'll react at that time. So, at least it feels good knowing I'll probably have a safe heaven here. :)
I love Shy Guys... If only I could stay one...
[ ƒranz (note the weird "ƒ", the seal of TRUTH) on the 3DS FriendList!]
Elfteiroh
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Elfteiroh
3DS: 4425-1469-3163
Steam ID: Elfteiroh
PSN: Elfteiroh

Postby FFXIgaiaknight » 11 Jan 2013 08:18

I agree 100% RMC. Some places on the net are really bad but then you come across a place like Gonintendo and a site owner who is very active with his community and cherishes the people that visit his site and it makes you think why cant more places be like this. I can give one example of RMC beeing active with his fellow site goers i have RMC friended on facebook and knowing that he is a fan of WWE like myself if i see something cool that happened i ask him what he thought about it and he always replies and thats the stuff that sets apart this site from other places on the net.
FFXIgaiaknight
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: Gaiaknight

Postby J0RdAnN » 11 Jan 2013 09:04

While those comments are pretty nasty RMC you have to keep in mind that you are on YouTube which has to be among the most hardest websites to moderate. With over a million video uploads daily comments have to be in the 10s of millions if not billions everyday. You would need a rather large team to moderate that. Granted things might be easier if Channels moderated their own content. However a channel like IGN's in my opinion would be better off just not allowing comments ever.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby Entity » 11 Jan 2013 09:13

Gonintendo is a way nicer place to be than many other sites. Mostly no insults and to-the-point debates. There of course some rotten apples in the basket, but what is new? And with all these readers here it's a really great job you guys are doing. I also go to other sites (like Cubed3) where the debates go, but with way less readers commenting. You guys are doing a great job here. And of course with all the Ninty news. It doesn't get more Nintendo than Gonintendo :)
Entity
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: Alcovoices

Postby VinceFox » 11 Jan 2013 09:16

1. Hardcore Gamers are the facist regime
2. Hardcore gamers are killing the US video game retail market
VinceFox
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: RetroToonMaster
3DS: 3351-4181-1924
PSN: RetroToonFan

Postby Jet Pilot » 11 Jan 2013 09:17

If you use Firefox then install the "herp derp" add-on. After all, that's the intelligence level in most YouTube comments, unfortunately.
Jet Pilot
Flicky
Flicky

Postby JGab » 11 Jan 2013 09:19

What I find funny about the Internet is that people get so angry so easily.

I had a video up a couple years ago for a project I did (and thanks RMC for posting it- I won't mention what it is because I'm not trying to plug myself!) and I had tons of positive comments. But then I had those few who made the snarky comments...all you can do is not react to 'em. The bigger lady would simply say "I do think I'm hot. What's so funny about that?" Most of those people aren't intelligent enough to argue, and if they want to make fun of someone I'm not against making them feel dumb very quickly.

Saying this however, the show is what makes me sad. And the upcoming King of the Nerds is going to do the same. They shoot these things to purposefully have a reaction from those who are not familiar with the content. This is supposed to be awkward and weird to us. You're not going to see someone who people may perceive as normal on this show. KOTN is likely going to try to do the same from what I've noticed in the previews. All of these shows are meant to be extreme and weird-- it's just that the "nerd" culture has already been stereotyped that way and reactions will be a lot worse I think because of that.

But if anyone is ever feeling down and bullied- this is definitely a place to go. I've been in and out of this place, but it's always been a great community.
JGab
Fairy
Fairy

Postby XCWarrior » 11 Jan 2013 09:30

People are just as negative in real life. They might use a bit better language because they can't hide behind their computer screens, but the ton is the same.

I just got used to it. You can't expect people to change and make themselves better. People don't care enough.

If you don't like it, don't read the comments. Or go to sites than don't have them - something I'm noticing is starting to happen.
XCWarrior
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: XCWarrior
3DS: 1289-8376-3350
Steam ID: XCWarrior
PSN: XCWarrior1
XBL: XCWarrior1744

Postby gamefreak613 » 11 Jan 2013 09:58

RMC, this is one of the reasons I keep coming back to GoNintendo, because you are such a nice human being. A shining example of what other's should strive to be like. Kind, selfless, hardworking, and genuine. Keep up the amazing work.
gamefreak613
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: gamefreak613

Postby LordRoto » 11 Jan 2013 10:35

I agree very much RMC, I've been coming to GoNintendo for some time now, it's been my homepage for years, since I've had a computer honestly. What finally convinced me to start posting comments was actually the negativity that does exist here. Gotta balance out the unnessessary haters ya know? I'll never get why some people attack companies (especially smaller ones) and such for doing their job the best they can. But I'm sure this is no surprise to anybody i've replied to for the most part. I know not many other people will share my extreme optimisum, but you seem to, and it's helped make this site a home for me, even if i'm not a regular poster. Keep up the good work!

el psy congroo.
LordRoto
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby madgamer » 11 Jan 2013 10:53

While I personally don't like watching shows like this, there is absolutely no reason to attack these people directly. I wish more people would speak up about the way people behave online like you have. If only there was something we could do about it. But all I can do is just try and set a good example.
"I am what I am and thats all I am"- Popeye
http://www.priyesh.org
madgamer
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: madgamer7
PSN: madgamer7
XBL: madgamer7

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion