Nintendo Force - Issue #1 now available

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Postby robometal cowboy » 11 Jan 2013 14:55

Click Here to View Story

If you're looking for an explanation on the pricing and options, all is explained at the official Facebook page. Hit up the links below to check it out!

Purchase here and details here
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Postby LegendofSantiago » 11 Jan 2013 14:57

$18 seems a Tad expensive, no?
LegendofSantiago
Goomba
Goomba

Re: Nintendo Force - Issue #1 now available

Postby BaNGeR » 11 Jan 2013 14:58

Ouch. I understand the logistics and hoops to jump through for on-demand physical, but I wouldn't mind a few Songbird Ocarina ads in the magazine if it dropped the price down to $5 per issue.
BaNGeR
Fairy
Fairy

Postby SuperNictendo » 11 Jan 2013 14:58

yeeeaaaaaaa...agreed. but...at least we have it available
Will smith as Fox McCloud and Bruce Willis as Luke Skywalker in Star Fox vs Rogue Squadron: The Movie!!
X Y Safari is Psychic: Grumpig, Sigilyph and Girafarig
SuperNictendo
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: SuperNictendo
3DS: 1118 0218 6083

Postby HUELEN10 » 11 Jan 2013 14:59

18 bucks is sadly too rich for my blood for a print copy ATM. Yo RMC, if we bought one, could we send it in to the warehouse to have it signed by you? Just curious.
HUELEN10
Fairy
Fairy

Postby NinTimDo » 11 Jan 2013 14:59

Already ordered mine. Can't wait to flip through the pages!
NinTimDo
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: NinTimDo
3DS: 4854-7751-5643

Postby jimjonjimmy » 11 Jan 2013 14:59

i was thinking of getting this but 18 bucks is a bit steep, is this a subscription cost?
jimjonjimmy
Fairy
Fairy

Postby anime5ever » 11 Jan 2013 15:00

19$ lol no!
anime5ever
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Lizardon » 11 Jan 2013 15:01

$17.99 for ONE issue? Lol, nope. If it was for a 6 month subscription, maybe.
But like this, I can only say hello and good bye Nintendo Force.
Lizardon
Goomba
Goomba

Postby BalrogTheMaster » 11 Jan 2013 15:02

Way too expensive...I'll buy the digital, but really guys? It's a year's subscription to Nintendo Power, and it's 16 pages less than a normal issue from them.
BalrogTheMaster
Fairy
Fairy

Postby MetroidMan5000 » 11 Jan 2013 15:04

I'm trying to understand why they are using HP's MagCloud...

There are so many better and cheaper services out there!!

But congratulations, guys and good luck.
MetroidMan5000
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Nintendude92 » 11 Jan 2013 15:10

Ended up passing. I was under the impression you guys would have a subscription plan for print.

I have no use for digital magazines when sites like this exist.

I wish you guys all the best with it and I almost threw my hat in for charity, but it would be my only issue at this price. A subscription with NP didn't cost nearly as much.

Count me in for standard pricing on a subscription or when you have concrete plans.
Nintendude92
Goomba
Goomba

XBL: Nintendude92

Postby RawmeatCowboy » 11 Jan 2013 15:11

MetroidMan5000 wrote:I'm trying to understand why they are using HP's MagCloud...

If there are better/cheaper places out there, please let us know! We definitely want to drop the price. This option was picked because it was the most feasible for what we were trying to do, but we weren't happy with price either.
RawmeatCowboy
Site Owner

Postby hellfire888 » 11 Jan 2013 15:12

id pay the 18 if i had it to spare.. christmas broke my wife and i... good luck on the venture! add me as a friend on the wiiu! i sent the request days ago!
hellfire888
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Sgt_Hartman
PSN: Sgt_Hartman30
XBL: Sgt Hartman30

Postby RD3AV5 » 11 Jan 2013 15:13

$18 and older news proves that physical news media won't last sadly. Which is too bad, I love physical media.
RD3AV5
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby war3190 » 11 Jan 2013 15:14

Right now I am low on cash, but will definitely support the next issue.

Congrats on first issue!!
war3190

Postby josparke » 11 Jan 2013 15:15

Yeah, I kinda figured you'd use MagCloud... Just wish there was more of a heads up. I'm in, but there's GOT to be a better way.
josparke
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Triforce of the Gods » 11 Jan 2013 15:15

I really want to support this, but...$17.99 is just the first issue? I could understand if that was a yearly subscription, but for one issue I don't know if I can spare that.
Triforce of the Gods
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: TriforceoftheGod
3DS: 2921-9263-7348
Steam ID: TriforceoftheGods
PSN: TriforceoftheGod

Postby xbry23 » 11 Jan 2013 15:16

Coupon code: HPSD worked for me. Turned out to be $13.74 ($16.69 with cheapest shipping option) Still expensive, but it saves you some money :D
xbry23
Fairy
Fairy

Postby megasean » 11 Jan 2013 15:17

MetroidMan5000 wrote:I'm trying to understand why they are using HP's MagCloud...

I don't know about many of the services out there, but do they include built-in digital options as well? By the way, it looks like the pricing is fixed by HP—at $.20 per page with $1 for perfect binding. They must kick back some percentage to the magazine creator.

Very excited for this from Nintendo Force and just trying to decide which option I will choose. I WILL be buying a copy. I love digital magazines, but I'm back into collecting/paging through on the Nintendo side. It may be a bit pricey for me right now because I'm interning, but otherwise I would get it. It's worth paying for good content, which I have high hopes for here!

For those that don't see the value of a magazine compared to online sites, I think a good print publication serves its niche by engaging readers in long-form writing. Go Nintendo is an incredible site for news and volume of information, but it's not something that can entice you to read cover-to-cover like a magazine. And as someone who has been heavily involved in print production for sports publications, I know this is a substantial effort.

Good luck! Can't wait to read it. (And yes, throw me in the group that would buy a print subscription—probably up to $40 for 6-12 issues—and would support ad revenue, though I know that requires someone else on staff to sell.)
megasean
Fairy
Fairy

Postby EVIL-C » 11 Jan 2013 15:18

:shock: :lol: :roll:

Wow... Your pricing can eat me.

Nintendo Power is done. I'll remember it in my own way.
EVIL-C

Postby THEWORD777 » 11 Jan 2013 15:19

Is this being released in the uk.Anyone?
THEWORD777
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: iHarryGaming

Postby CorusFace » 11 Jan 2013 15:24

did anyone actually read the facebook page's explanation of why they did things the way they did?

reason for using magcloud (for now):
...going through MagCloud gives us great distribution range. You can buy a digital copy of the magazine. You can buy a physical copy of the magazine – and get a free digital version thrown in too. You can read the digital version of Nintendo Force on your iPad by way of MagCloud’s free reader app – a feature many of you have requested. And, also critically important to many of you, you can get Nintendo Force delivered to you anywhere you live around the world. MagCloud offers shipping to pretty much everywhere on the planet.

on subscriptions:
...we are working on finding the best subscription situation we can as soon as we can, to be able to serve those of you who are ready to join the Force for a year or more.
We will nail down the subscription plan before the arrival of Issue #2, guaranteed, so if you want to be in on the ground floor then please send an email to subscriptions@nintendoforcemagazine.com with the subject line “I want to subscribe!”. We’ll put your email address on our mailing list and send out a notice to everyone soon with the full details of how subscriptions are going to work.

on the current price:
If that’s a bit of sticker shock, again, I apologize. Print-on-demand isn’t absolutely ideal and it’s why we’re working to find more affordable solutions going forward.

on why the price might be worth it:
...there are a couple of things that should soften the blow here – first, Nintendo Force Magazine contains no ads. We’re cover-to-cover content, so none of your money is buying a two-page spread for a steakhouse. Where your money is going is the second thing to remember:
Proceeds for your purchase are going to charity. We’re honoring NP’s legacy here and doing this as a labor of love, so when you buy Nintendo Force, you’re supporting kids that could use a helping hand.

and lastly, if you use coupon code "HPSD" at checkout, you get almost $5 off. suddeny it all becomes a bit more appealing. the price definitely sucks, and i am with you in being kind of upset by it. but at least make an effort to be informed about the details before you dismiss the magazine entirely.
CorusFace
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby megasean » 11 Jan 2013 15:24

THEWORD777 wrote:Is this being released in the uk.Anyone?

My understanding is that part of the reason they chose HP MagCloud for this first issue is that it can be purchased/will ship anywhere.
megasean
Fairy
Fairy

Postby LOLDSFAN » 11 Jan 2013 15:24

Wooooo $18 for just one magazine!?!?!

That's explains why you all were so hush hush and didn't reveal the prices until day 1. Yeah I love(d) Nintendo Power, but I can't justify buying a magazine for $18 each month.

I won't even bother digital because I have the whole internet to look for news if I want digital.

The point of this is for the novelty of physical media. Without that, it's quite pointless.
LOLDSFAN
Fairy
Fairy

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion