Dev says game industry ignores female market

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Postby robometal cowboy » 14 Jan 2013 15:20

Click Here to View Story

"It's a market which is neglected by almost everyone in the games industry. ...The games industry has been mainly focused on the teenage boy demographic for decades now. Despite evidence that outside the console market, the vast majority of gamers are female and over the age of 35, the types of product hitting the market continue to focus on this increasingly niche audience. It leaves huge gaps in the overall global audience and means that for any player who doesn't appreciate or want the usual genres of game, there's very little out there." - Tsumanga Studios co-founder, Graeme Harvey

While it's good to hear that complaint coming from a dev, I don't know that Harvey is really reaching out to the girl demographic. They are behind the Winx Club games, which target the very young end of the female spectrum. What about all the other female gamers out there?

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Postby Commander Orbit » 14 Jan 2013 15:27

While I think that it's great to have games for specific to female gamers, I'm not sure what other genres could be made besides what we see now. most of the female gamers I know enjoy the same kinds of games as I do.
Commander Orbit
Fairy
Fairy

Re: Dev says game industry ignores female market

Postby M1 » 14 Jan 2013 15:30

well female gamers are known as "casuals".
These people are the ones who overwhelmingly bought DS and Wii.

We know what happened the last time a gaming company and system catered to them.
M1 is no more...
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby void3953 » 14 Jan 2013 15:41

M1 wrote:well female gamers are known as "casuals".
These people are the ones who overwhelmingly bought DS and Wii.

We know what happened the last time a gaming company and system catered to them.

Yes. It was a huge and massive success but almost every developer refused to make games for it or threw shovelware on it. I'm glad someone else realizes it was the industry that killed the Wii and not the market.

Or did you mean something else?
void3953
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Tendonin » 14 Jan 2013 15:53

Women do not want to be a spaceship. And women do not want to be a hand holding a gun. If you want to sell to women, make more than just action movies, and make more than just action games.
CYNICISM IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL
Tendonin
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: Tendonin
3DS: 1461-6219-6828

Postby SakuMo » 14 Jan 2013 15:56

Speaking as someone who is in that demographic (although not quite over 35 yet; have about 10 years to go before I'm there), I'd much prefer if they'd make more games that are universally appealing, rather than make games that "cater" to girls/women. :roll: I admit I'm not a fan of games that cater more toward males (i.e. most-if-not-all shooters), but I'm not a fan of the games that are supposed to cater to women, either (things like Style Savvy, for example). I do tend to like things that have universal appeal, though, like Mario, Mega Man, Katamari, etc. I'd like to see more things in that spectrum.
SakuMo
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: SakuMo_Emyi
3DS: 5112-3585-0203
PSN: broxigan

Postby MAGNUS-8M » 14 Jan 2013 16:01

What do they want exactly? If they focus too much on the most feminine of activities, you wind up with a game that makes them feel stereotyped, and people would complain about how condescending it is. Do they just want role-reversal, such as having most games being like Super Princess Peach, or female-Shepherd in Mass Effect, or do they want a reskinned Contra with girls instead of guys?

I can understand that playing a game where all girls, both heroine and damsel-in-distress types, are busty scantily clad bimbos, and being offended by that. But I doubt they'd really be satisfied with games like Sewing Hero or Happy Cake Oven 2000, and it doesn't seem like simply reskinning a game with properly-dressed "grrls" who are saving bishounen Fabios in black slacks, no shirt, and black-bowtie detached-collars would actually do that much different than the original design. It'd be the same game, and it might even offend some of them as being sold a stereotype.

So.. seriously, what do they want? I'm not saying there's no alternative, but I mostly mean that this sounds more like they're inventing a very over-dramatized problem that will end up in the same fractal pattern they're saying they want to avoid in the first place. What's worse is that anything they do will become a comparison for what's available, and it'll be an obvious stereotype no matter what it is, and then they'll be offended by that.

Look, I dislike MLP:FiM myself, but even I know that it's a quote-unquote "show for little girls" that reaches across many audiences. And it's typically stated that it's because the show is so good... well, why not just make... I don't know, GOOD video games? Stop deciding to make things based on stereotypes and just make a good video game, right?

That's the thing, though. Gaming's serious business, and a large part of business is selling by stereotype, not selling by the art of making something good. Advertising that 'we need to make a good grrl-game' is basically saying they want to cover up a bad game with a gift wrap that will make their target audience feel good about their stereotyped likes and dislikes. You might get a few awesome games that transcend their target audience because they're just that good, but then you have the others that are mostly just a marketing tool. Just make a good game for any-gender and you should be fine.

If it was up to me, I'd just tell people to play one of the Harvest Moon games that allows you to choose a gender, but I know people still find fault even with that. You're never going to please any side, but because it's part of a business market, they're always going to try to anyway.
MAGNUS-8M
Toad
Toad

NN ID: MAGNUS-8M
3DS: 5241-2075-2337

Postby Shaanyboi » 14 Jan 2013 16:11

So what is the suggestion here? There aren't enough shopping simulators and babysitting titles? I would guess the 'female demographic' would feel just as alienated with that kind of shameless pandering than with the narrow genre spectrum gaming already encapsulates.
Shaanyboi
Octorok
Octorok

XBL: Shaanyboi

Postby kdognumba1 » 14 Jan 2013 16:46

I completely disagree. You'll be surprised how many girl gamers play the same things as guys. I know a ton of girls that play CoD. My sister and a lot of her friends play Mario, Mario Party, Donkey Kong, and pretty much all things Nintendo. My ex plays a ton of JRPG's, so do a lot of my female colleagues. My old roomate played Rainbow 6 Vegas 2, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe, and N+

The perception that girls and guys have greatly different appeals I feel is walking a bit along the lines of sexist. Sure different things appeal to different people but my grandma for instance LOVES Law and Order, CSI, Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen, Scarface, The Last Samurai, The Bourne films, and the God Father. If she were a gamer, she'd probably play The God Father games, the Mafia games, LA Noire, Scarface, the Just Cause series, Sleeping Dogs and the Kane and Lynch series.
kdognumba1
Metool
Metool

NN ID: kdog254
3DS: 1676-3698-5986
Steam ID: kdog254
Wii: 5726-8719-5929-3614
PSN: jotaroxtreme
XBL: kdog254

Postby M1 » 14 Jan 2013 16:48

Shaanyboi wrote:So what is the suggestion here? There aren't enough shopping simulators and babysitting titles? I would guess the 'female demographic' would feel just as alienated with that kind of shameless pandering than with the narrow genre spectrum gaming already encapsulates.

Sssh they are called "casuals"!
M1 is no more...
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby void3953 » 14 Jan 2013 16:57

kdognumba1 wrote:I completely disagree. You'll be surprised how many girl gamers play the same things as guys. I know a ton of girls that play CoD. My sister and a lot of her friends play Mario, Mario Party, Donkey Kong, and pretty much all things Nintendo. My ex plays a ton of JRPG's, so do a lot of my female colleagues. My old roomate played Rainbow 6 Vegas 2, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe, and N+

The perception that girls and guys have greatly different appeals I feel is walking a bit along the lines of sexist. Sure different things appeal to different people but my grandma for instance LOVES Law and Order, CSI, Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen, Scarface, The Last Samurai, The Bourne films, and the God Father. If she were a gamer, she'd probably play The God Father games, the Mafia games, LA Noire, Scarface, the Just Cause series, Sleeping Dogs and the Kane and Lynch series.

True, but where is the variety?

It pretty much vanished because the PS360 were so expensive to develop for, and 3rd parties refused to put much effort into their Wii games because... well, I don't know. No one's been able to give me a satisfactory answer on that one.

Really, the only reason to mention gender is because it's easy to see and understand. X number of males play games. X number of females play games. It's much easier to see those numbers than to say that the problem is the lack of variety in games. Especially when variety can mean different things to different people.

It's basically just a short-hand way of saying that there is something very, very wrong with the industry today.
void3953
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Zeldana » 14 Jan 2013 17:11

M1 wrote:well female gamers are known as "casuals"

I need to send this quote to a friend. He's been telling me I'm becoming a "casual" for weeks, especially after I talked about how awesome Nintendo Land is. Maybe I'm in denial. :lol:

There's a lot of things wrong with the industry but this gender issue is not one of them, or it shouldn't be at the forefront. Look hard enough and you can find tons of games that cater to people of all ages and genders, not to mention there are plenty of titles that are neutral to begin with. 35+ females don't generally buy consoles just for gurly games, either; they're pretty content playing free online facebook "games" or iPad apps like Bejeweled and Solitaire. Those who take the hobby more seriously know where to look for the quality stuff.
Zeldana
Fairy
Fairy

Postby ecco6t9 » 14 Jan 2013 17:33

Animal Crossing seems to do it.
ecco6t9

Postby Jirachi » 14 Jan 2013 19:13

I have female friends who play smash,golden sun,pokemon,harvest moon,etc. From what can tell they play anything a male will except those games that objectivify them,stero type them or anything overly violent.

Obviously there are exceptions but i think this would be the best road to take.
My favorite zelda game is Twilight Princess and Jirachi is my favorite pokemon <3 skype:SSBBKING

My youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR-OCE ... a9XCznbJ6A
Jirachi
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Jirachifan
3DS: 1848-1701-2271
Wii: 5376-4745-6865-7604
PSN: TCDFTW
XBL: N and 360 fan

Postby Fuego6 » 14 Jan 2013 22:15

No they have been targeting females, it only appears like they aren't. That is if you don't know where to look. Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, and The Legend of Zelda are targeted toward females as much if not more than male players. And it's mostly done without pandering.
Fuego6

Postby Ragnarokstorymaker » 15 Jan 2013 00:52

I heard the new Style Savvy game is pretty damn good though.
Ragnarokstorymaker
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: RagnarokSM
PSN: RagnarokSM
XBL: DiehardStingray

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion