GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - What's your Wii U syste...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - What's your Wii U syste...

Postby robometal cowboy » 15 Jan 2013 05:56

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - What's your Wii U system seller?
Click Here to View Story

Time for me to head off to ed...or play a game...or watch some TV. I'm not sure I'm ready to catch some sleep just yet. I like to unwind a bit after a day's work. That's what I say now, but I bet my eyes shut just a few minutes from now! See you in a few, short hours.

The Wii U is out all over the world. Plenty of people have already picked up their console, but there are still many, many more that are holding off on a purchase. Some may never pick the system up, some might be waiting for some funds to free up. Of course, most are likely waiting for the software library to beef up.

For those that picked up the Wii U already, I'm guessing you saw something that sparked your interest. On a very basic level, you might just want to have Nintendo's latest hardware. There's no shame in being an early adopter, as that usually works out with the Big N's offerings. If you did pick up the Wii U for a specific game, please let us know what game sold you.

For those that are holding out on a Wii U purchase, what software would seal the deal for you? Is there a game that's been announced that you can't wait for, but it hasn't yet been released? Are you waiting for a specific announcement before you jump in? Are you waiting for more first-party offerings before you make a purchase?

Software is going to be a big part of the Wii U's future success or failure. Whether Nintendo manages to bring in content that sells the Wii U to more consumers remains to be seen. You can be sure that there are some big-name games on the way that'll bring in newcomers. We just want to know what that one game will be that you can't resist!
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - What's your Wii U syst

Postby Koopzilla » 15 Jan 2013 06:01

Personally, I'm waiting to get my tax return, which sucks because they have pushed the date to file back to Jan. 30th this year. I plan on getting ZombieU, NSMB WiiU, and Ninja Gaiden. My wife also wants to get the Batman game. Pikmin 3 is what i REALLY want though. Not much besides Smash Bros that I'm super excited about right now, but I know games like Zelda, and 3D Mario are most likely in the making.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

NN ID: Koopzilla
3DS: 2793-0595-9972

Postby baromontanaro » 15 Jan 2013 06:04

sincerely i just wanted to play black ops on HD on a Nintendo console (wiimote+nuchuck are a kind of magic)... just to begin with ;)

then i hope for some mario tri-dimensional, a EPIC (and i mean EEEEEEEEEEEPIC my dear Nintendo- you have to change a little bit the formula and create a LIVING Hyrule!-) Zelda...
And i^m still waiting for some old school Wario (GC episode was the best, the wii one was sh*t!!!) minigames collection.

Then I hope for some good mario sports, and third party support but honestly i've already seen they droping the ball... but i think with the things mentioned above i'll be right for at least 3 years...

(sorry for my english as always i'm not improving lol)
search for MossoW Switzerland! thanks!
baromontanaro
Fairy
Fairy

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - What's your Wii U system s

Postby Sisibakbak » 15 Jan 2013 06:09

Rayman Legends is the game I really want a Wii U for but I'm not going to get one just for that. I think that I'll be waiting until E3 to see what the rest of the year will bring to the console before diving in any time soon. However, I might be less tempted to get one this year if the third party support at E3 isn't too rosy. I don't want to buy a Wii U only for the Nintendo content and just to be thrown a bone every now and then from third parties.

baromontanaro wrote:(sorry for my english as always i'm not improving lol)

Your English is fine man!
Sisibakbak
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Orbulon » 15 Jan 2013 06:13

Honestly, the games i was really hyped up about before release were ZombiU and Pikmin 3.
I was massively suprised at the quality of NintendoLand when i got my WiiU, and i would never have expected that it would be my most played title (by many many hours) on the system.
Pikmin 3 being delayed again is a bit of a kick in the gonads, but im willing to wait. And Rayman legends is looking like an incredible game, if the quality of the demo is true to the entire game.
Check out my Bowser the Bearded Dragon on my Flickr!
http://flic.kr/ps/25HwmQ
Orbulon
Fairy
Fairy

Postby baromontanaro » 15 Jan 2013 06:20

Your English is fine man![/quote]

Oh thanks man! ;)

I would like to add something: I bought ZombiU cause i thought and still think it's a good game but Ubisoft did (and are doing) a pityful job not giving us the patch... (more than a month i'm not playing it... :( )
search for MossoW Switzerland! thanks!
baromontanaro
Fairy
Fairy

Postby quicklynow » 15 Jan 2013 06:37

I will buy a WiiU they day the Monolith Soft game is out and not a moment sooner. I'll probably be able to snag Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 and the Retro Studios game for dirt cheap by then as well.
quicklynow
Fairy
Fairy

Postby MoldyClay » 15 Jan 2013 06:46

Only reason I don't own a Wii U is because I am poor, my family is now poor(er), and my backlog is enormous. I don't even have time for Wii U games when I have a bunch of Wii, 360, some DS & 3DS and even PS2 and Gamecube games to finish.

That said, games like ZombiU, Rayman Legends, Nintendo Land and the upcoming Pikmin 3 totally sold me on the console already.

If we were to choose THE killer app to get me scrounging for money to get it as soon as humanly possible, it would be Zelda or Super Smash Bros.

Or something insane like Golden Sun.

@Orbulon

How is Pikmin 3 "delayed again" if it never had a release timeframe other than "Release Window" which was the time span of half a year, which we haven't even gotten through yet?

Was their some announcement I missed?
MoldyClay
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby ridleysaria » 15 Jan 2013 06:49

I got my Wii U as a gift. Otherwise I wouldn't have one yet. A system seller for me would have been a Nintendo title of significant quality. A game on par with a Zelda, a Metroid or Mario Galaxy. New Super Mario Bros U and Nintendoland do not have the Nintendo magic. Even Pikmin 3 looks bland from what we've seen so far.
Mighty No. 6978
ridleysaria
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: RidleySaria
3DS: 2664-2118-8366
Steam ID: ridleysaria
PSN: RidleySaria

Postby XCWarrior » 15 Jan 2013 07:23

Have a Wii U already with Nland, NSMBU and Scribblenauts. But my system seller is Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate. Was the case for the 3DS as well. I got them earlier, but those are the games I'm really waiting on after getting so much use out of the Wii version.

I own 65 or so Wii games, so I'm sure there are plenty of games down the road I'll pick up for Wii U, but this post launch period is a bit slow to say the least.
XCWarrior
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Poopaloop » 15 Jan 2013 07:25

ridleysaria wrote:New Super Mario Bros U and Nintendoland do not have the Nintendo magic.

Strongly disagree. I am in no way disputing Nintendoland is equivalent to a full Zelda or a 3D Mario title, but I haven't felt that Nintendo touch as strongly in a long time as I did with Nintendo Land. That thing is brimming with fan service for long-time Nintendo fans.

I bought mine primarily for Nintendo Land (which considerably surpassed my expectations) and Pikmin 3. I'm still holding off on Zombi U due to financial constraints but that greatly interested me, as well, and Monster Hunter 3 is MASSIVELY anticipated since they revealed it. We know from Nintendo's history that the strong titles are coming, at least from 1st party, it would just be nice if Nintendo would let us in on some of them early on.
A stupid drawing every day or your money back! Follow me on Twitter Facebook!
Poopaloop
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: RType88
3DS: 1118-0334-6460
PSN: rhughes88

Postby Roth » 15 Jan 2013 07:30

MONSTER HUNTER 3 ULTIMATE
I was just watching Capcom_Unity's live stream of the Wii U version last night. It's gonna be freaking huge when it comes out!
Follow me on Twitter
Roth
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: RothSothy (Steam too
3DS: 1118-1639-5657
Wii: 2646 0430 6265 2527
PSN: RSTrax
XBL: rothsothy

Postby ajpecanic » 15 Jan 2013 07:32

I'm a little low on funds and have a backlog of games, so I probably won't be getting a WiiU until sometime after E3. I'm actually more excited for Pokemon X/Y and Luigi's Mansion for the 3DS than for anything announced for the WiiU right now.

ZombieU, The Wonderful 101, and Pikmin 3 look good, but to seal the deal I need Metroid or Zelda or something amazing from Retro Studios. So, yeah, I probably won't get it until autumn or so.
ajpecanic

Postby Frank » 15 Jan 2013 07:33

There are basically no games available that I'd buy a system for. I don't think I'd even buy any of the available games if I had the console given to me right now. I'm bored of the NSMB series and Nintendoland looks ok i guess, then ZombiU I'd really need to play before definitely going for it.

Out of the upcoming games, I'd definitely get Pikmin if I had the console, but it's not a system seller to me. I'd also maybe get both of Platinum's games, but Wonderful 101 is totally down to how well it reviews and who knows when Bayonetta will come out.

I just need a AAA exclusive game or two to sell me on it. A 3D Mario or new Metroid are the most likely in the near future. I'd love a Zelda but Skyward Sword is barely a year old, so I'm not expecting that until late 2014 at the absolute earliest (and that's even if Nintendo threw several studios at it). Whatevere Retro's working on, be it Metroid or something completely different, could potentially make me pick up a system sooner rather than later.

Basically I'm expecting to want to get one for this year's Christmas/Birthday (I'm a November baby so often get combined presents) and almost definitely no sooner. I need some new games announced before that becomes definite though, otherwise I'll just be picking up more stuff for my 3DS.
Frank
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Vic Vinegar » 15 Jan 2013 08:18

HD Call of Duty and the Wii remote were good enough for me.
Vic Vinegar
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Entity » 15 Jan 2013 08:24

Well, before I got the console I was hyped for the console itself and how developers would use the "tools" that would land into the dev houses. And I think ZombiU was definitely the game that got me most interested. First of it's an actual survivor horror game (the kind I like. Moody, slow paced and tactical with the occasional *#¤%T% you I didn't see that coming" moments). The game even went beyond expectations. It was rushed for launch so it has it's let-downs here and there (and some bugs) but I love it. And it actually shows what great potential the Wii U has. But the game announcement that made jump and hit my head in the ceiling of pure joy was Bayonetta 2.

And there were gems like Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends and the thought that Retro is hard at work with something... Well I was sold.

After reading more I am sure there will be loads of great games this year alone. Aliens: CM for starters. Also getting Ninja Gaiden, LEgo City etc when I have the cash (and they are released).
Entity
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: Alcovoices

Postby ridleysaria » 15 Jan 2013 08:26

Poopaloop wrote:
ridleysaria wrote:New Super Mario Bros U and Nintendoland do not have the Nintendo magic.

Strongly disagree. I am in no way disputing Nintendoland is equivalent to a full Zelda or a 3D Mario title, but I haven't felt that Nintendo touch as strongly in a long time as I did with Nintendo Land. That thing is brimming with fan service for long-time Nintendo fans.

Well obviously these are our personal system sellers so of course there's going to be some disagreement. Mario isn't bad but it just isn't anything special. Another by-the-numbers Mario. The less said about Nintendoland the better..... Nintendo mini games just don't do it for me. I only have it because it came with the system. I'll likely never play it again.
Mighty No. 6978
ridleysaria
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: RidleySaria
3DS: 2664-2118-8366
Steam ID: ridleysaria
PSN: RidleySaria

Postby iiJcMii » 15 Jan 2013 08:47

For launch.... even more then Mario, I think it was Batman. Even though the game had been out already, researching it, I saw that they actually did a lot of work on it. After trying it at NY Comic Con with the gamepad, and never fishing the game for Xbox, this was #1 in my heart at launch!
iiJcMii
Fairy
Fairy

Postby ronnande » 15 Jan 2013 08:52

Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate. I would get a WiiU even if this was the only game on the system.
ronnande
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Chased » 15 Jan 2013 09:05

I already bought my WiiU... What made me do it was, mainly, ZombiU.

After that, the Miiverse, CoD:BO2(I stored all of my other consoles) and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed.

I'm happy to report I have already bought all of these games.

The next thing that made me buy it, is the guarantee we have for future Nintendo games! Games like Mario Galaxy and Zelda...
Most Overrated Game Ever:
Portal
Chased
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Necrochild313 » 15 Jan 2013 09:38

There isn't one...thus why I don't have it yet :(
Necrochild313
Goomba
Goomba

Postby CM30 » 15 Jan 2013 09:40

Super Smash Bros 4 or maybe a 3D Mario game would be enough to make me buy the Wii U.
Nintendo 3DS Community, a Nintendo 3DS forum

Die hard Mario fan, writer for various Nintendo sites and person whose probably played the most Wario Land 4.
CM30
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

3DS: 4983-5165-4189

Postby kdognumba1 » 15 Jan 2013 09:42

I initially was going to pick up a Wii U so I could mod my Wii and play imported games without risking my downloadable titles, which I still did mind you, however after I went to the Wii U experience and the Nintendo Direct came back in September, I was sold on a lot more.

Rayman Legends was uber fun, Zombie U and Batman shown great use of the controller, Ninja Gaiden was vastly improved, Pikmin 3 was as fun as expected, and NSMB U and Nintendoland turned out to be way more impressive then I previously thought. Then Nintendo Direct shown off Nintendo TVii and gave us confirmation of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Bayonetta 2. After this I was sold. The later Miiverse Nintendo Direct was icing on the cake.

Basically, MANY of the retail games, all 5 of the downloadable games, the controller, the entertainment features, and the online features all came into play for me. Add that to the fact that I'm a MMO junkie, love Monster Hunter and wanted to play imported Wii games, I knew I would be getting the system day 1.
kdognumba1
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: kdog254
3DS: 1676-3698-5986
Wii: 5726-8719-5929-3614
PSN: jotaroxtreme
XBL: kdog254

Postby scikoolaid » 15 Jan 2013 10:14

I am committed to waiting for a F-Zero and Star Fox entry that is long over due. I will not budge until I see both games in the pipeline, preferably both released. No More Heroes 3 is also a big one for me, we'll see when that gets teased from Suda51 though.
scikoolaid
Goomba
Goomba

Postby TheEyeProjects » 15 Jan 2013 10:21

I think many people are holding off, because there isn't that one killer-app. And that's actually not a bad thing. Wii Sports was a killer app and so is Angry Birds. But besides them both being fun, it doesn't make a system a succes for us gamers in the long term. It get's boring pretty fast and it's kinda shallow.

The WiiU starts to show is strengths by making good game concepts work even better. The extra (touch)screen in your hand and the different ways of input (classic or wiimote) are not there just to stand out from the crowd, but they do contribute to a better game experience, much more than what HD graphics or the occasional waggle do.
You need to play the system to know it's strengths, with the Wii, just looking at it was enough. I suspect that many hardcore gamers will puck up the system when more hardcore games come out. I believe that the WiiU version of a game can offer the best experience of all the 3 big consoles.

I liked the way Metroid was handled in Nintendo Land and I sure hope to see a full game take notes of that!
Tri-Heart or give up!
http://tri-heart.com
TheEyeProjects
Fairy
Fairy

3DS: 3437-3029-2133
Wii: 8476 8940 5273 417

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion