Aliens: Colonial Marines hitting Wii U in launch window

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Postby robometal cowboy » 17 Jan 2013 16:17

Click Here to View Story

While Aliens: Colonial Marines didn't get a release date in today's press release from Nintendo, SEGA has stepped in to calm fears about the game. The Wii U version is still due out launch window, but no specific date was given.

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines hitting Wii U in launch window

Postby bigNfanboy » 17 Jan 2013 16:25

Shut up and take my money!!!
bigNfanboy
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: bigNfanboy
3DS: 1375-7561-4699
XBL: bigNfanboy BR

Postby mariomaniac45213 » 17 Jan 2013 16:35

Why is it taking the Wii U version longer than the other versions? Are they having trouble with the Wii U? Are they adding extra features for Wii U? I just don't understand it...
Finally got a PS3 sooo add me if you want. :)
mariomaniac45213
Toad
Toad

Wii: 0257-0866-8958-0148
PSN: TheDestructo1994
XBL: TheDestructo94

Postby Reynard » 17 Jan 2013 16:46

mariomaniac45213 wrote:Why is it taking the Wii U version longer than the other versions? Are they having trouble with the Wii U? Are they adding extra features for Wii U? I just don't understand it...

Outsourced port...
Reynard
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: Reynard_Fox
3DS: 2277-6695-2597
XBL: Reynard-Foxx

Postby Dmolisher » 17 Jan 2013 16:49

mariomaniac45213 wrote:Why is it taking the Wii U version longer than the other versions? Are they having trouble with the Wii U? Are they adding extra features for Wii U? I just don't understand it...

I'm guessing you haven't been following ACM deeply. Gearbox are self proclaimed Nintendo fans. They're also self proclaimed Alien fans. They've come out and said they're aim to is to make the most truthful representation to the franchise as possible even going over some of the minutest details such as which grates should be missing in the hnager where the Queen was pulling them up. As for the Nintendo fans comment it was made to ensure Wii U owners that they weren't just going to do standard same developing as PS3/360. They are claiming they want to make use of the Wii U as much as possible to help the game even be more of a truer representation as the PS3/360 versions.

They've already discussed many ideas regarding gamepad use especially the exciting motion tracker idea, but they also mentjoned that it will also use more of the Wii Us power and not just be similar to the PS3/360 versions. We've seen that Wii U does seem to be able to handle lighting better so we can at least see a better atmosphere in the environments as a possibilty. This may not be the flag title to show what the Wii U really is capable of, but if Gearbox keeps their word it will represent that it is indeed capable of more then what PS3/360 are capable of if a developer takes the time to.
Dmolisher
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby WesFX » 17 Jan 2013 18:27

Looking forward to it, Gearbox.
WesFX
Metool
Metool

NN ID: WesFX7
Wii: 5451 3702 0833 3757

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 17 Jan 2013 19:09

Can't tell if they're keeping quiet as to not upset the PS360 fanbase over giving them the supposed 'inferior' version, or whether they're just plain embarrassed to show any Wii U footage.

Either way, they'll be screaming from some corner of the interwebs. Oh, and pixel comparisons...
Chosenoneknuckles
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Chosenoneknux
3DS: 1590-4669-5649

Postby void3953 » 17 Jan 2013 20:05

Reynard wrote:Outsourced port...

I wonder why more people don't remember this.

Chances of the game actually looking or running better than on other platforms pretty much died when that was announced (would Gearbox REALLY let a port by an outside team look better than their own internally developed versions?). It also explains why not a single frame of Wii U footage has been shown.
void3953
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Dmolisher » 17 Jan 2013 20:52

@void3953

I did forget that.. but it's not like their going to stop Demiurge (sp?) Studios from making the superior version they were hoping for. I'm not saying a contract developer can easily make a better game then the originator, but who's to say Gearbox hasn't been lending a helping hand once in a while or even now moreso after it had went gold?
Dmolisher
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby void3953 » 17 Jan 2013 21:24

Dmolisher wrote:@void3953

I did forget that.. but it's not like their going to stop Demiurge (sp?) Studios from making the superior version they were hoping for. I'm not saying a contract developer can easily make a better game then the originator, but who's to say Gearbox hasn't been lending a helping hand once in a while or even now moreso after it had went gold?

Possible? Yes.

Likely? No.

When was the last time you heard about an outsourced port actually turning out better than the original internally developed version?

It doesn't happen.

Mix in the fact that they're working with a new system with a new interface and things begin to look worse and worse. And again, the complete and total lack of Wii U screens or footage is very telling. Something should have been shown by now. The only reason they haven't is either the game is WAY behind schedule and won't be releasing anywhere near the other versions or they're hiding it. And the only reason to hide it would be that it's not coming along well.

And this whole idea that they're hiding it because they're afraid of upsetting PS360 gamers is laughably insane. That would mean that it wouldn't matter how powerful the Wii U is 3rd parties are going to gimp their Wii U ports in order to keep from offending their "real" customers. If that's what's going on then the Wii U is already dead as a 3rd platform, and once again it will have been 3rd parties that killed it for themselves.
void3953
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Dmolisher » 20 Jan 2013 22:00

@void3953

I never made a claim that they could, but you're completely dismissing the possibility that they could have been or will now have hlp from Gearbox since the game is now finished. Gearbox have self proclaimed themselves Alien and Nintendo fans. If you were a fan of something say a 3000GT. Mitsubishi contracts you to design and build a brand new 2015 3000GT. Several months later they decide to also cater to the hybrid market are you just going to hand off your design work for your 3000GT to some team to gut and try to kake sense of what needs to be done to make it into a hybrid? Doubtful. If you're truly a fan you'd be over checking to make sure your pride and joy isn't being butchered. You'd be sharing notes and status meetings time permitting. Then after the car is ready for the production line (in this case gone gold) you'd probably head over and help out as best as you can without seeming like you're just taking over after the dedication the contract team put in.

I'm not denying the possibility of a craptacular parallel version, but if they really are those two fans. I highly doubt they'd let their pride and joy be butchered. There was a game I remember actually did surpass it's main developers version, but that was only because again in an interview they were constanly holding meetings and video conferences. I can't remember what it was..
Dmolisher
Chocobo
Chocobo

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion