Today's Nintendo trolling comes courtesy of GameSpot

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Postby robometal cowboy » 24 Jan 2013 22:41

Click Here to View Story

I have nothing against those that have different opinions from mine. As long as those opinions are backed by facts and well thought-out ideas, I am all for it. Unfortunately, I don't find that to be the case with GameSpot's latest Wii U feature. Check out how the article starts. Maybe I'm just reading it the wrong way.

Is Nintendo Trapped by Its Legacy? Tom Mc Shea explains why Nintendo's latest game announcements fail to muster much excitement.

What corner of the internet was Mr. Mc Shea looking at? Where did he see a lack of excitement? I felt the overall impression was that of excitement! Many were impressed with Nintendo's presentation for this Nintendo Direct.

What can be done with Mario Kart that we haven't seen before? Why should we trust Aonuma's claim that he's going to reinvent Zelda when he has failed to do so in every attempt thus far? Does a new Smash Bros. have much appeal beyond the requisite roster update?

Why wait to see if Nintendo will make good on their promises when we can just bash them at the start? Time to put down these announcements, especially the ones that haven't even had a single screen or specific detail attached to them. Why trust that Nintendo will make high quality experiences and evolve franchises? It's not like they've built up established, world-class brands that continue to garner year-topping review scores and big sales. Oh wait...

Full article here
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Postby Sylverstone14 » 24 Jan 2013 22:42

So both Edge and GameSpot have pulled the Nintendo troll clickbait card.

Interesting.
Sylverstone14
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: Sylverstone14
Steam ID: Sylverstone14

Re: Today's Nintendo trolling comes courtesy of GameSpot

Postby darqv » 24 Jan 2013 22:44

Their points aren't exactly without merit, either. I feel sad for someone who can't get excited by the announcements Nintendo made, BUT I can understand if they've got the old "franchise fatigue."
darqv
Fairy
Fairy

Postby CyTheLegend » 24 Jan 2013 22:47

The "Nintendo uses old franchises too much" argument is the biggest load of BS I see on gaming websites.
CyTheLegend
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Gold_Ultima » 24 Jan 2013 22:47

Yeah, I dunno what they are on, all the blogs and sites I read were super hyped after. Even big sites like IGN were full of praise.

Also further evidence is the fact that if you google Tom McShae, third recommendation is "Tom McShae is an idiot." He's also kind of known for trolling Nintendo and making things up that aren't even true about games he reviews.
Gold_Ultima
Metool
Metool

Postby Tork110 » 24 Jan 2013 22:49

I agree with the Zelda sentiment. It would be nice if Zelda was once again groundbreaking, and not just another iteration of Ocarina of Time.

I'm more optimistic about Smash Brothers, despite the fact that I roll my eyes at roster threads. Brawl wasn't great, but Melee blew away the original, and I hope they have time to figure out how to make the fourth game(s) fresh. At least get the online fixed.
Tork110
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: Tork_110
3DS: 0301-9908-3971

Postby Zaakro » 24 Jan 2013 22:51

I'm kind of getting tired of all the trolling Nintendo is getting. GameFAQ is horrible with about 10 different main people that troll the Wii U all day everyday. It makes the forum unreadable. And they do the same thing with the what ifs and they are always right. And the if Sony/Microsoft did this you would blow up their building.
Zaakro
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: zaakro
3DS: 3823-8513-5205
XBL: Zaakro

Postby Shaanyboi » 24 Jan 2013 22:53

Ummm... I'd say all three are valid questions. It's not trolling, it's called being objective.

Or do we need to start acting all 'Nintendo Defense Force' now that it's the start of a generation, and everyone has to get back to being all angry and defensive over what f***ing box they buy?

For f***'s sake, not everything that isn't unabashadly championing Nintendo is trolling. Way to fall into the 'sensationalist headline' bullsh**, RMC...
Shaanyboi
Octorok
Octorok

XBL: Shaanyboi

Postby MegaMan64 » 24 Jan 2013 22:56

Well he has some points at least, but to say there was no excitement whatsoever is a really blind observation.

Feel free to add me on your 3DS. PM me if u do. Also got a Wii U now, so add me as well and PM me!

MegaMan64
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Nerps64
3DS: 4596-9581-6101
Steam ID: SuperObjection64
PSN: SuperSpy12

Postby grcpan » 24 Jan 2013 23:01

I didn't get excited by the announcements and I represent all gamers.
grcpan
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Autosaver » 24 Jan 2013 23:01

This is the same guy that gave Skyward Sword a 7.5 for apparent "bad controls" and "predictable formula". LOL
Autosaver
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Autosaver

Postby ModestMr.Green » 24 Jan 2013 23:03

Dumb 'article', but I agree with the Aonuma part. Wasn't Skyward Sword supposed to reinvent Zelda and bring it 'back to basics'? I don't really trust anything out of Zelda team.

My problem is that I don't see how a lot of these games are going to drive Wii U momentum. Mario Kart and Smash Bros will drive unit sales, but what else? Yarn Yoshi won't do it, nor will Wind Waker HD of all things. I'm much more interested in that question than anything else.
ModestMr.Green
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: CMM1215
PSN: CMM1215

Postby Hawk » 24 Jan 2013 23:03

I agree with many of you. I don't see it as trolling, but a valid question, and one I've been asking myself for the past couple of years.

Nintendo is in the tough predicament of pleasing fans who expect them to do things a certain way, and appeasing the people who are getting tired of that certain way and want new things.

For nearly all of Nintendo's franchises, I want to see revolution and new ideas. I feel like they've been iterating old games and ideas for way too long, and it's time to try bold new things with the old franchises we love.
Hawk
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby solarisdeschain » 24 Jan 2013 23:04

There was more originality in the Wii's iterations of Mario, Zelda, and Metroid than Gears of War, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, or pretty much any other major new IP released, so...
Add me on Miiverse: solarisdeschain!
And twitter: @MasterMastermnd
solarisdeschain
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Necrochild313 » 24 Jan 2013 23:04

Oh Gamespot you dog you. Thank you for reminding me why you were once my most visited site, and now you are one I purposely avoid giving traffic to. Maybe Nintendo should advertise there more.
Necrochild313
Goomba
Goomba

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 24 Jan 2013 23:05

Meh, this why I hardly read “objective” gaming journalism, they can bash and troll Nintendo all they want, doesn't change the fact their franchises (while old, sure) are still some of the best and don't need to rely on hardcore (read: brodude) trends, like most in the past generation or two. Sure some of them need to change their formulas, for better or worse, but just one “bad” game and people are already calling for a franchise reinvention, I'm not gonna mention which one but I bet it's one all of you know for sure.

EDIT: LOL, at first I though the title said "Today's Nintendo trolling comes courtesy of Gamestop". It doesn't help that both have almost similar names. :lol:
Last edited by HammerGalladeBro on 25 Jan 2013 02:56, edited 3 times in total.
HammerGalladeBro
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Steam ID: HammerGalladeBro
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Postby TheRealBatman » 24 Jan 2013 23:05

Tom Mcshea couldn't figure out how the controls for Skyward Sword, so...yeah. I think he's just a professional troll or something.
TheRealBatman
Fairy
Fairy

Postby TooManyToasters » 24 Jan 2013 23:06

Critics love picking on Nintendo the same way the far right picks on Obama; both tend to view their respective opponents as existential threats.
I'm flying!! WHEEEEEeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TooManyToasters
Flicky
Flicky

3DS: 4339-2483-9765
XBL: doodies315

Postby sonic7877 » 24 Jan 2013 23:06

Don't rage about it, and don't click on the article. That's what they want you to do. The best thing to do about trolls is to just ignore them. I'm not clicking on this article.
sonic7877
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Jet Pilot » 24 Jan 2013 23:08

If you bother to read the full article you would see that the author makes some valid points. Do yourself a favor and read more than just a couple quotes pulled out of context.
Jet Pilot
Flicky
Flicky

Postby TheBitBlock » 24 Jan 2013 23:09

This is the same idiot that complained about Skyward Sword's controls, at which point I made a video disproving his nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEge_2Vu ... ults_video
Last edited by TheBitBlock on 24 Jan 2013 23:14, edited 1 time in total.
TheBitBlock
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Wonkoo » 24 Jan 2013 23:09

It's completely fine if some people didn't find anything interesting in the Nintendo Direct the other day. What bothers me about McShae's article, as well as a large number of articles I run across online regarding Nintendo, is the assumption that their opinion is the only one. That because the author of the article is getting tired of Zelda or Mario titles, that everyone is. And that's obviously not true. IGN pointed something interesting out in their analysis of that Nintendo Direct, saying that Miiverse for the first time brings Nintendo fans together without trolls, haters and cynics. And I think that sounds amazing. An exclusive little internet without people like Tom McShae.
Wonkoo
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Mike_Intellivision » 24 Jan 2013 23:10

Read the article. Questions range from fair to trolling. Tone is definitely trolling. Truth is there are a lot of people who don't like Nintendo because it plays a different game -- and that upsets them and their version of the world,

Mike from Morgantown
Mike from Morgantown

(PM me if younwould like to be WiiU friends .
... I know that sounds strange at best but I am looking to fill out my friends list.)
Mike_Intellivision
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: Mike_INTV
Wii: 1624-6601-1126-1492

Postby Gold_Ultima » 24 Jan 2013 23:13

Shaanyboi wrote:Ummm... I'd say all three are valid questions. It's not trolling, it's called being objective.

Or do we need to start acting all 'Nintendo Defense Force' now that it's the start of a generation, and everyone has to get back to being all angry and defensive over what f***ing box they buy?

For f***'s sake, not everything that isn't unabashadly championing Nintendo is trolling. Way to fall into the 'sensationalist headline' bullsh**, RMC...

I'd say the questions are completely dismissive of events that can actually be pointed to. Rich George knows how to write a dissenting article about Nintendo without firing blindly and asking questions he could have taken a few seconds to look into before realizing he's an idiot. Tom McShae is actually known for reviewing games and complaining about lacking features that were actually in the games he's reviewed.

There has been new ideas and features in each iteration of each game he complains about. Especially Smash Bros which is always jam packed with ambitious changes.

Skyward Sword is very different from previous Zelda games. So much so that some people didn't like how different it was.

Mario Kart games always push great new multiplayer ideas and is usually Nintendo's most ambitious online series, coming up with new ideas each time.
Gold_Ultima
Metool
Metool

Postby godie11 » 24 Jan 2013 23:15

"Why should we trust Aonuma's claim that he's going to reinvent Zelda when he has failed to do so in every attempt thus far?"

Wait, wasn't Skyward Sword the first attempt of reinventing Zelda? and Aunuma clearly said that the they were getting tired of the same formula used since ALTTP, like completing dungeons in certain order, so for a first (and not so failed, IMO) attempt with SS, they can't have a second chance now? really?

"Does a new Smash Bros. have much appeal beyond the requisite roster update?"

Sakurai already said that they won't be doing only a roster update as this guy claims:

“It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive.

“In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”

At the end, the things that Nintendo is trying to do with some of their key franchises like Zelda and Smash bros. is to reinvent gameplay and not only upgrading them to HD graphics with the same gameplay formula.
godie11
Fairy
Fairy

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion