Nintendo Results Briefing - details (on going)

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Postby robometal cowboy » 30 Jan 2013 21:21

Click Here to View Story

- Iwata feels great responsibility for not achieving forecast target
- 3DS in Japan on good track with 3 of top 5 from Nintendo
- Animal crossing for 3ds exceeded plans
- NA market has been worst with only 2 titles of top 20 for 3DS and no console there
- US sales were -27% versus japan while previously 2.5x, also blaming competitors were aggressively bundling titles in US and EU
- Said in Germany and France that 3DS hardware sales were up year on year, the best markets in Europe

Direct link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Postby LegendofSantiago » 30 Jan 2013 21:29

I'm interested in seeing how things come along. The 3DS seems to be doing well, but Nintendo still wants it to do even better.
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Sack » 30 Jan 2013 21:42

Iwata, if you want to just WIN, please put up funding for Monster Hunter x Pokemon. Done. Japan will just have to change it's name to Nintendo at that point. I'm not even a Monster Hunter fan, but seriously.
HA! I Kill me.
Sack
Fairy
Fairy

3DS: 5455-9389-0594
PSN: Wolfsmasher
XBL: Gomez Addams

Postby ddddd » 30 Jan 2013 21:51

So is not really google maps, but more like panorama view x google street view (viiu?)

"R&D for handheld and console together now. Plan to make software that can work across both platforms with potentional for mid-long term"

Cross play and saves pease.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Re: Nintendo Results Briefing - details (on going)

Postby yanya » 30 Jan 2013 22:04

I'm telling you Nintendo...

"- Nintendo wants to do more collaboration with 3rd party developers on Wii U and not just licensing "

... Pangya x Mario Golf
Get together with Ntreev (or are they SG Interactive now?) and Tecmo, make it happen, and you guys can have my money.
yanya
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Gamingboy » 30 Jan 2013 22:16

"- Nintendo wants to do more collaboration with 3rd party developers on Wii U and not just licensing "
Maybe we can finally see the pipe-dream Mario/Sonic platformer.
Gamingboy
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Ry » 30 Jan 2013 22:18

- Overseas will release Fire Emblem, Brain Age, Lego City, Animal Crossing by mid year. This plus 10 more titles. Digitally available for 3DS.

I hope so. Looking forward to playing Fire Emblem next week but I want that Animal Crossing game out here asap.

- on 3DS, more JP titles will be released overseas for 3rd party like Professor Layton.

We're getting Project X Zone and that is a good start. Convince Square Enix to bring over Bravely Default and you can get some more of my money.

- Nintendo wants to do more collaboration with 3rd party developers on Wii U and not just licensing

Mushroom Kingdom Hearts anyone? Disney x Nintendo x Square Enix = $$$
Last edited by Ry on 30 Jan 2013 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to exchange 3DS friend codes, you can ask me...
Ry
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Gamingboy » 30 Jan 2013 22:20

Ry wrote:-

- Nintendo wants to do more collaboration with 3rd party developers on Wii U and not just licensing

Mushroom Kingdom Hearts anyone? Disney X Nintendo X Square Enix = $$$

With the whole new movement of Disney games, is Kingdom Hearts even still going to go on, anyway?
Gamingboy
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Ry » 30 Jan 2013 22:24

They're still making money off of it so of course. They're doing an HD remix that is currently announced only for Japan but it was revealed that one of the voice actors (Jesse McCartney I think) recently did VO for a "new" KH game so yeah it's still an ongoing franchise.

Kingdom Hearts 3 or whatever the next main console version will be called won't see production until the A team complete the vaporware known as Final Fantasy versus XIII.
If you want to exchange 3DS friend codes, you can ask me...
Ry
Flicky
Flicky

Postby coffeewithchess » 30 Jan 2013 22:59

"- NA market has been worst with only 2 titles of top 20 for 3DS and no console there
- US sales were -27% versus japan while previously 2.5x, also blaming competitors were aggressively bundling titles in US and EU
- Said in Germany and France that 3DS hardware sales were up year on year, the best markets in Europe
- USA 5 titles in top 20, France 11/20, Germany 10/20 and Spain 11/20"

Specifically with the Wii U, NoA has done a horrendous job with it, and marketing it, IMO.
1) They didn't bundle the console with a third party game like NoJ and NoE did.
2) The advertisements were horrid (are they even running any now?).
3) With the 3DS price drop, management apparently didn't know how to work with the largest online retailer (see: Amazon), and lost the distribution contract with them...JUST in America. So, Amazon.com doesn't even have a "Wii U" specific section for Wii U games and/or the console.

Now, in general, Nintendo apparently has major issues with partnering with companies. If they knew how to partner with third parties (or, just not burn them apparently), perhaps Wii U would be getting more games like Black Ops 2, Darksiders II, and other quality ports in early 2013. It isn't.

DmC? No. Crysis 3? No. Hitman? No. Dead Space 3? No. Far Cry 3? No. Now even Aliens: Colonial Marines is in question? (Not saying all these games are/will be quality, but if software helps sell consoles, why has Nintendo failed on this front so early on with getting third party games to the Wii U that are still in development?)

I really like the Wii U, and think the system has a ton of potential with the GamePad, but I don't think Nintendo management seems to understand the economy they launched it in, or their competition. I guess the only benefit is that Microsoft and Sony are hurting financially, so it may help keep them in check with their next consoles prices, and prevent them from selling them at a huge loss (again), providing Nintendo a little breathing room...
http://www.coffeewithgames.com/
Drinking coffee, playing games...
coffeewithchess
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Coffees
Wii: 6546-4207-4091-0847
PSN: Hoj_Latte

Postby internet » 30 Jan 2013 23:13

france spain germany , i knew it worked great there but not that much to be honest . The original ds just like the gba in its time and the heavy bundle last effort vita sure did hinder their plans in the usa , still best second selling hardware is nothing to sneeze at . As for the uk , it's clearly the odd market . Now if only i could import easily games from there like i use to do .
The wii u flaw i think is that to be appreciated one has to play with others and the hobby is a solitary one , and no online is really no substitute for it due to the necessity of having only a few games , few genre , and freaking autoaim cod .
internet
Fairy
Fairy

Nintendo Results Briefing - details (complete)

Postby mariomaniac45213 » 30 Jan 2013 23:24

"Nintendo wants to do more collaboration with 3rd party developers on Wii U and not just licensing"

THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

"According to Miyamoto, he doesn't think that all games should incorporate asymetrical options"

Agreed and tell that to the 3rd party developers who won't port games like Tomb Raider or DMC to the console because they "didn't want to not use the system to it's fullest potential" BS!

"Miyamoto is saying that developers have not put much uniqueness in games as of yet."

Agreed again but they don't really have to as long as Wii U get's the 3rd party games!

"Wii U value proposition not delivered enough to consumers. Selling below cost and not planning to discount further"

Bummer, but they should just discontinue the basic model NOBODY wants it. They should lower the Deluxe bundle price to $300 and make both white and black available with the same size HDD, Nintendo Land, and Nintendo Network Premium deal.
Finally got a PS3 sooo add me if you want. :)
mariomaniac45213
Toad
Toad

Wii: 0257-0866-8958-0148
PSN: TheDestructo1994
XBL: TheDestructo94

Postby MisterOpinionHead » 30 Jan 2013 23:31

"Achieve targets in Japan with release of Monster Hunter 4, Dragon Quest 7, Animal Crossing, Pokemon X/Y
Overseas will release Fire Emblem, Brain Age, Lego City, Animal Crossing by mid year."

If you want to know why sales are so bad in the U.S., part of it has to do with the crappy software that gets released here compared to Japan. along with the lack of localizations, the delayed localizations, and the holding off of finished and localized software because they think it's more strategic to make us wait 3-6 months for some imaginary gains that come from "staggering" their releases.

If Monster Hunter 4, Dragon Quest 7, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon X/Y were also releasing in N.A. at the same time as Japan, the 3DS would represent a much more appealing console. If they would stop treating each region differently and simply localize during development and then release everything everywhere simultaneously (at least via each e-shop) then I have a feeling they would see an improvement in hardware and software sales internationally.
MisterOpinionHead
Goomba
Goomba

3DS: 1160-9716-5702

Postby ecco6t9 » 31 Jan 2013 03:21

The issue is that the majority of US gamers do not care about handhelds.

Secondly another chunk seems to refuse to accept the 3DS making snide remarks "I would buy Kid Icarus and Zelda if they were on the DS."
ecco6t9
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Elfteiroh » 31 Jan 2013 04:53

MisterOpinionHead wrote:[...]If Monster Hunter 4, Dragon Quest 7, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon X/Y were also releasing in N.A. at the same time as Japan,[...]

I'll be perfectly honest here: I LOVE being anal on technicalities.
That being said, Pokemon X/Y IS releasing here at the same time it's released in Japan. It'll be a simultaneous worldwide release.. ;)
Shy Guy? How did I return to that?? I was a Koopa? ... AWESOME!
[ ƒranz (note the weird "ƒ", the seal of TRUTH) on the 3DS FriendList!]
Elfteiroh
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: Elfteiroh
3DS: 4425-1469-3163
PSN: Elfteiroh

Postby Sammet » 31 Jan 2013 06:36

Funny how the UK is omitted from this... maybe they should try and do something about that. There's a reason why it's not in the charts over here.
PM me and I'll add you to my 3DS - feel free to add my NNID for WiiU too!
Sammet
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: Samwiise
3DS: 0817-3844-7533
Wii: 6169 7599 9537 5328

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 31 Jan 2013 08:58

@Sammet Well, yeah. There's two clear reasons why it's not doing so well [despite having had the better Wii U advertisements]:

- We're Sony and MS Land essentially, due to the 'Nintendo is kiddy' and 'Nintendo is for casuals' propagandas they and the gaming industry have spun for the last decade or so.

Sadly, Nintendo is the only one that really makes games for everyone [but 'hardcore' gamers and the industry don't want it to become an open-hobby] - but mud sticks, like in most ways of life, regardless of what said org / person does.

- The UK is still in recession, apparently...
Chosenoneknuckles
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Chosenoneknux
3DS: 1590-4669-5649

Postby Sammet » 01 Feb 2013 06:12

I agree - the marketing is poor and the price is a joke. I've just seen on the main page that Costco is selling a basic model for $250 - that's almost £150, whilst over here on amazon uk it's still at £240 - that's $380!

If they really cared about getting the UK market they'd bring prices more into line with the US instead of letting retailers set it at whatever they want. I was lucky enough to get my premium cheap only because I was watching Amazon when they first announced.

Also the games can be as much as £30 more expensive than they are on the other platforms (not even comparing it to PC versions which are even cheaper) and have come out months later - say like Darksiders 2 £50 (almost $80) - currently £20 on the other 2 formats. ZombiU is £55! (almost $90)

I know lots of people who are baulking at the price and would really like to get one if it was cheaper. We're in a triple dip recession - either they sell at a loss to drive their base or they continue to push the high prices and turn people away. Then this will feed into the cycle that the console is a failure and less games will be made for the platform as it's not profitable for developers.
Sammet
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 01 Feb 2013 07:24

Sammet wrote:I agree - the marketing is poor and the price is a joke. I've just seen on the main page that Costco is selling a basic model for $250 - that's almost £150, whilst over here on amazon uk it's still at £240 - that's $380!

If they really cared about getting the UK market they'd bring prices more into line with the US instead of letting retailers set it at whatever they want. I was lucky enough to get my premium cheap only because I was watching Amazon when they first announced.

I know lots of people who are baulking at the price and would really like to get one if it was cheaper. We're in a triple dip recession - either they sell at a loss to drive their base or they continue to push the high prices and turn people away. Then this will feed into the cycle that the console is a failure and less games will be made for the platform as it's not profitable for developers.

Apparently Nintendo isn't allowed to though [due to us still being in the fucking EU - I want out ASAP] - yet Sony, MS and Apple continue to set their own prices throughout the UK and Europe... :?

It's a new console. That's actually rather cheap [coming off PS3 launch prices of last gen] - the PS4 and X-Box 8 are gonna cost alot more, whether they take the 'look' cheaper route with subscription plans or not.

And I don't get those who continue to compare dollars and pound price-points [moot points them looking at us, and us them]. The US pays more because they're The Vocal Power of the world, and I pay less for things in dollars in my eyes [but get screwed over thus when my Resurgence Tees wares sell overseas, after the $/£ conversion].

We need a global currency already...
Chosenoneknuckles
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Sammet » 01 Feb 2013 09:19

I put the dollar price comparison up because there are lots of Americans reading this site and I was trying to illustrate the high price - however the strong pound does account for that too so I know it's a bit disingenuous - but it doesn't explain things like difference between Darksiders 2 on PS3/360 versus the Wii U pricing.

You're right the console is cheap for a newly released system but people aren't seeing the value because in many peoples eyes it's the same as the current generation (even though I think they're wrong), running the same games and the gamepad alone isn't enough to sway them when the others are bundled with lots of games. Again it's another failure from Nintendo to market it properly - I haven't seen any adverts for it on TV over here since before Xmas - Why aren't they shouting from the rooftops about things like Miiverse? It's a total mess and I'm not at all surprised to see it struggle.

And we're agreed on the last point. Everyone should use Rupees (from Zelda, not India ;))
Sammet
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 01 Feb 2013 10:13

Sammet wrote:I put the dollar price comparison up because there are lots of Americans reading this site and I was trying to illustrate the high price - however the strong pound does account for that too so I know it's a bit disingenuous - but it doesn't explain things like difference between Darksiders 2 on PS3/360 versus the Wii U pricing.

You're right the console is cheap for a newly released system but people aren't seeing the value because in many peoples eyes it's the same as the current generation (even though I think they're wrong), running the same games and the gamepad alone isn't enough to sway them when the others are bundled with lots of games. Again it's another failure from Nintendo to market it properly - I haven't seen any adverts for it on TV over here since before Xmas - Why aren't they shouting from the rooftops about things like Miiverse? It's a total mess and I'm not at all surprised to see it struggle.

And we're agreed on the last point. Everyone should use Rupees (from Zelda, not India ;))

Fairplay.

Wasn't our ad pulled for being misleading about Off-Play games [it wasn't specific that it wasn't a standard system feature - even if all non-ZombiU GamePad utilizing games should use it a standard - to be fair]? That said, it should've taken, what, a day to change [put a disclaimer in] and send out for reassessment by TPTB behind TV Advertisement Standards or whatever... :?

Haha. My British Pride defaults to a want for a Global Pounds Currency, but I'd go for that too. :mrgreen:
Chosenoneknuckles
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion