EA's full statement on Wii U not being next-gen, but neve...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

EA's full statement on Wii U not being next-gen, but neve...

Postby robometal cowboy » 30 Jan 2013 23:38

EA's full statement on Wii U not being next-gen, but never counting Nintendo out
Click Here to View Story

So, couple of things. First, you never count Nintendo out. They've got some of the best IPs in the game industry, when their marquee titles show up, that's when you usually see the bounce. I'm deeply respectful of the achievements they've had over the last several years, and so yeah, never really count them out.

Having said that, I wouldn't say that we see much correlation between the results that Nintendo have just shown with the console debut of the Wii U and what we see coming. We see a pretty sharp distinction and unfortunately I'm unable to go any further than that.

Ours is an industry where a lot of devices come in and represent themselves as the next generation or the next generation after that. You know in many ways, we would argue that the gen— what we're describing as "Gen 4", is yet to come — and it's that we're excited about, and that's what we're investing in, and frankly we've been quite consistent with that for some time, recognising the frustration our inability to articulate precisely why, causes for you.

Again, EA clearly sees next-gen as a power-only affair. Unless Sony and Microsoft are working on platforms that offer some unique experience outside of more power, it looks like EA is more interested in the same old stuff.

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

EA's full statement on Wii U not being next-gen, but never c

Postby LegendofSantiago » 30 Jan 2013 23:41

But what the heck do they mean by Gen 4?! We aren't starting the n64 era. Also, it sounds like EA is going to abandon the platform.
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Re: EA's full statement on Wii U not being next-gen, but nev

Postby OutToLunch » 30 Jan 2013 23:42

Yes, because those are the platforms that are going to make the biggest returns on their investments. Unfortunately for Nintendo, no one in the industry wants to have support multiple pipelines one for Xbox / PS / PC and a "special" one for Nintendo. Until they understand this, they're not going to get the 3rd party support to help prop up their hardware.
OutToLunch
Fairy
Fairy

Postby speedychu » 30 Jan 2013 23:42

Nintendo's and EA's catfight continues.
speedychu
Fairy
Fairy

Postby godofrawr » 30 Jan 2013 23:43

This is sort of a given. Nintendo's goal should be to sway the niche devs. Developers like Platinum, like Grasshopper. Companies that aren't looking to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
godofrawr
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Berrix » 30 Jan 2013 23:46

EA lost me on Reckoning, and the stunts they pulled after that their opinions are crap, regardless where it's directed.

As for power debate here; Does anyone truly expect such distinct changes to the next gen graphically to a point where everyone is going, "Wow! I have to get me some of THAT!" the moment you see it in action, let alone the price point it may have, let alone developed from EA themselves?

Good luck on that, if they're going to be that much stronger, expect hit after hit in the finances from many companies supporting it. Not just the main company.
Last edited by Berrix on 30 Jan 2013 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby IxisNaugus » 30 Jan 2013 23:46

Welp, guess that counts out EA's support for the Wii U. Then again, Mass Effect 3 did not inspire much confidence to begin with.

EDIT: @Berrix

In fairness, I actually did say something along those lines when Watch_Dogs was shown last E3. Of course, that is a current (last?) gen game(and wont look or play as good as the showcase), and it also isn't from EA. In fact EA have yet to make me care about one of their titles beyond sales-age.
Last edited by IxisNaugus on 30 Jan 2013 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
IxisNaugus
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: --
XBL: IxisNaugus

Postby KingBroly » 30 Jan 2013 23:47

godofrawr wrote:This is sort of a given. Nintendo's goal should be to sway the niche devs. Developers like Platinum, like Grasshopper. Companies that aren't looking to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Niche developers can only take you so far though. A few thousand here or there at most, even if you hit every niche, it's not a sustainable business model. They need big 3rd party support not only for grabbing those types of games for their system, but for their own quality control as well.
Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention
My Alternate Account is Cortjezter
I write things here from time to time
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: KingBroly
3DS: 3351-4164-6416
Steam ID: KingBroly
Wii: 8135-0917-9758-1594
PSN: KingBroly
XBL: KingBroly

Postby cbbomb » 30 Jan 2013 23:50

And what the hell is wrong with that? It always used to be about power. That's the whole point of buying a new console is to get better looking and bigger games. It used to be that way with Nintendo as well until the Wii. Now everyone acts like Nintendo was always like that. Rubbish. You may have been happy to be fooled into rebuying a Gamecube(Wii), I was not.
cbbomb
Fairy
Fairy

Postby metalpants » 30 Jan 2013 23:56

EA's talking like the next couple of consoles will make Wii U look like NES. xD, get real, EA.
(>٭□٭)> Wii U
metalpants
Octorok
Octorok

Postby Mike_Intellivision » 30 Jan 2013 23:56

EA is making a bet on high-tech. It is a high risk, high reward proposition. We will have our first indication of how successful that will be when we hear the price of the consoles and the games.

My guess is that at least one of the two non-Nintendo console makers will shoot so high that they end up making a machine that cannot be sustained. (In other words, someone will make a console that plays on 4K HD. Great looking -- but not realistic.).

Mike from Morgantown
Mike from Morgantown

(PM me if younwould like to be WiiU friends .
... I know that sounds strange at best but I am looking to fill out my friends list.)
Mike_Intellivision
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: Mike_INTV
Wii: 1624-6601-1126-1492

Postby Berrix » 30 Jan 2013 23:58

IxisNaugus wrote:EDIT: @Berrix

In fairness, I actually did say something along those lines when Watch_Dogs was shown last E3. Of course, that is a current (last?) gen game(and wont look or play as good as the showcase), and it also isn't from EA. In fact EA have yet to make me care about one of their titles beyond sales-age.

Watch Dogs isn't a new generation game, though. Not to mention look how far down the road we came to see how gorgeous something like that looks now... On a current system.

cbbomb wrote:And what the hell is wrong with that? It always used to be about power. That's the whole point of buying a new console is to get better looking and bigger games. It used to be that way with Nintendo as well until the Wii. Now everyone acts like Nintendo was always like that. Rubbish. You may have been happy to be fooled into rebuying a Gamecube(Wii), I was not.

What's funny is the major influx of new and returning gamers to the industry happened cause of the ease-of-access to affordable gaming, then in time they migrated. We can only guess if the systems would be where they are now without that refresher. All of which are moot points and blind theories now. GCN/PS2/Xbox were never anywhere near the selling powers that the current systems are rocking. Wii and Vita included.

Nintendo would been outclassed in the power division if they didn't do something different, they do not have the same resources the other two simply have to research and develop the only aspect of their system they know how to do right. I am glad Nintendo went further down trying new things and not just stop at the GCN/GBA connectivity idea... Which in terms, tanked.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby joshb1983 » 31 Jan 2013 00:06

Gen4? So, PS1 was the first generation of video game consoles? Ummm... Atari says hi.
joshb1983
Octorok
Octorok

Postby joshb1983 » 31 Jan 2013 00:06

Gen4? So, PS1 was the first generation of video game consoles? Ummm... Atari says hi.
joshb1983
Octorok
Octorok

Postby gbpackers31 » 31 Jan 2013 00:08

@Mike_Intellivision

If the leaks have any indications, it seems like both are targeting a fairly reasonable specs (more powerful than Wii U of course). I don't expect either Microsoft or Sony's next consoles to be above $400, unless there is a pack-in deal.
gbpackers31
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby kdognumba1 » 31 Jan 2013 00:24

Gen4? So I take it EA started with Playstation? I know I didn't. As for their comments, I really don't care what EA does at this point. Until I see them give REAL support to a new Nintendo console, I'll just take anything they say as complete rubbish.

joshb1983 wrote:Gen4? So, PS1 was the first generation of video game consoles? Ummm... Atari says hi.

Pretty much this.

LegendofSantiago wrote:But what the heck do they mean by Gen 4?! We aren't starting the n64 era. Also, it sounds like EA is going to abandon the platform.

And this.
kdognumba1
Metool
Metool

NN ID: kdog254
3DS: 1676-3698-5986
Steam ID: kdog254
Wii: 5726-8719-5929-3614
PSN: jotaroxtreme
XBL: kdog254

Postby Gold_Ultima » 31 Jan 2013 00:24

They can't even count how many gaming generations there have been, so I don't really think we should bother listening to them. Also, I haven't bought an EA game in decades, so it's no real loss if they stop supporting the platform.

@joshb1983
You forgot the Magnavox Odyssy.
Gold_Ultima
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby CorusFace » 31 Jan 2013 00:28

ea, you seriously suck. honestly. i hate you.
CorusFace
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby WedgeWalkr » 31 Jan 2013 00:31

cbbomb wrote:And what the hell is wrong with that? It always used to be about power. That's the whole point of buying a new console is to get better looking and bigger games. It used to be that way with Nintendo as well until the Wii. Now everyone acts like Nintendo was always like that. Rubbish. You may have been happy to be fooled into rebuying a Gamecube(Wii), I was not.

I'm going to disagree with you on that. Was increased system power (understood in terms of graphical capabilities) part of the point of creating or purchasing new systems? Certainly. Was it the only thing? No. And I'm surprised when people can't see that.

Let's just look at Nintendo's systems. In addition to increased power, each system jump brought the following gaming advancements:

NES to SNES: buttons on controller increased by 4, larger game storage capacity

SNES to N64: addition of analog stick, buttons on controller increased by 3, number of controllers that could be in use at the same time increased by 2, increased game storage capacity, rumble feature added to controller

N64 to Gamecube: analog shoulder triggers, addition of second analog stick, removal of one button, GBA connectivity, wireless controller, increased game storage capacity, component output and progressive scan visuals

Gamecube to Wii: motion control, pointer control, unique audio speakers on controller, removal of second analog stick, removal of analog triggers, on-line gameplay, Virtual Console Service, WiiWare service, increased storage capacity

Wii to Wii U: number of controllers that could be in use at the same time increased by 1, dedicated gaming social network, improved on-line retail system with most games available for download, on the gamepad itself: refinement of motion control from that of initial Wii-mote, return of second analog stick, buttons on controller increased by 2, both analog sticks made clickable, near-field communication, added camera, touch screen capable of either replicating what's on television or having unique content

I'm sure there are some things I'm forgetting.

Incidentally, I have a Wii, and I know it isn't just another Gamecube.
- Nic W.

The Inner Dorkdom

END OF LINE
WedgeWalkr
Fairy
Fairy

Postby TheSchaef » 31 Jan 2013 00:35

Yes, EA, please forego the Wii U to focus on consoles that can give you more individual blades of grass on the same frakkin sports game over and over.

Madden 8 Billion! Because, Next Gen!
TheSchaef
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: TheSchaef
3DS: 2277-7520-6889
Wii: 0311 6491 8241 1676

Postby mariomaniac45213 » 31 Jan 2013 00:36

Seems like MOST 3rd parties have this same state of mind in regards to Wii U/Nintendo as a whole can't say i'm surprised though...anyway EA you can take your two old ass ports and shove them up your ass! Who asked for Mass Effect 3 especially when Mast Effect Trilogy was releasing on the other consoles at the same time for less the price! Also Most Wanted is simply a little too late...
Finally got a PS3 sooo add me if you want. :)
mariomaniac45213
Toad
Toad

Wii: 0257-0866-8958-0148
PSN: TheDestructo1994
XBL: TheDestructo94

Postby TheSchaef » 31 Jan 2013 00:37

Also, if the benefit of new consoles is shinier games, why is everyone playing Minecraft and Mega Man 9 and Bit Trip?
TheSchaef
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: TheSchaef
3DS: 2277-7520-6889
Wii: 0311 6491 8241 1676

Postby kirbykiller » 31 Jan 2013 00:41

they don't mean 4th gen as in consoles but 4th gen as in this is EA's (as a business) 4th generation of consoles they are developing for
kirbykiller
Fairy
Fairy

Postby bomblord » 31 Jan 2013 00:56

I still don't think there will be that big of a graphical leap this generation, Graphics are plateauing. Lighting, polygon levels, and scene complexity are at a point where the layman can't tell the difference until you put the 2 images side by side. Obviously we haven't hit that yet but were to the point where most games only have a resolution bump and a slightly higher fps even on systems that should be 10x more powerful.

Don't get me wrong Higher resolution textures and higher FPS do make a difference, however the difference is extremely negligible to the average person, and with proper art direction and a little technical trickery even the 7 year old 360 can output games that are on Par with a large chunk of PC titles and only slightly behind the high ends ones.

Until a new graphics technology allows for a huge leap in tech (real time raytracing?) we'll only be seeing diminishing returns in graphics technology.
Last edited by bomblord on 31 Jan 2013 01:04, edited 3 times in total.
bomblord
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby FrenchFryGuy » 31 Jan 2013 00:59

That's right EA. You keep on innovating and putting all that power the "true next gen" systems from Sony and Microsoft will offer you to good use just like you did this generation....oh wait.
Image"Cross me and i'll BURN you!"
FrenchFryGuy
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion