Kickstarter - Death Inc. could hit Wii U

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Postby robometal cowboy » 05 Feb 2013 15:04

Click Here to View Story

When asked if the game could hit Wii U, here's what the developer said...

A Wii U version would be amazing! First thoughts on this are (bearing in mind I'm at home, so I can't talk to any of the programmers right now) is that we're building in Unity. I have no idea whether the engine supports that platform nor the additional work that would be involved in getting it to work. If however, it does and the kickstarter is successful and the game is well received, then I would love to take a look into doing this. It's a great idea!

Support the game here

link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: Kickstarter - Death Inc. could hit Wii U

Postby void3953 » 05 Feb 2013 15:08

...we're building in Unity. I have no idea whether the engine supports that platform...

Professional guys.

Real professional.
void3953
Fairy
Fairy

Postby jlatimer11 » 05 Feb 2013 15:12

void3953 wrote:
...we're building in Unity. I have no idea whether the engine supports that platform...

Professional guys.

Real professional.

Especially since I can do a Google search and find out it does: http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/19/unit ... rtnership/
jlatimer11
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: jlatimer11
3DS: 1891-1333-7003
PSN: jlatimer11
XBL: jmlat

Postby Oregano » 05 Feb 2013 15:16

void3953 wrote:

Professional guys.

Real professional.

This is why I don't take it seriously when random indie developer x tries to talk with authority about platforms they have no experience with.
Oregano
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Zug Zug » 05 Feb 2013 15:20

jlatimer11 wrote:
void3953 wrote:

Professional guys.

Real professional.

Especially since I can do a Google search and find out it does: http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/19/unit ... rtnership/

hahaha
This is too good.
Zug Zug
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby GeneticRepoMan » 05 Feb 2013 15:51

I was in agreement with most of you initially over his remark.

But let's cut the guy from slack. The Wii U isn't his platform of choice for his game, and he was being interviewed at home on the spot. What do you want him to do, stop the interview in the middle of it and google it?

Sure, that is pretty common knowledge, but I don't expect this guy to know everything about every game console. I would, however, expect him to be knowledge in the Wii U space if they start developing the game for it and actually need to start knowing this stuff.

If Wii U was already announced as one of the platforms, then yeah, I'd agree with everyone that the dude is kind of a melvin. But I personally will give him a pass.

As far as the kickstarter itself, I wish devs would actually have Wii U support from the start or at least as a within reach stretch goal and not the very last thing. I don't want to have to put down money on the kickstarter and THEN have to pay for it when it comes out.

The only time I use kickstarter (which I've only done once thus far) is if I can use it as a means of pre ordering the game.
If you add me on any platform, shoot me a PM and let me know!
GeneticRepoMan
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: GeneticRepoMan
3DS: 3952-7010-8227
PSN: darkfire0

Postby void3953 » 05 Feb 2013 16:34

GeneticRepoMan wrote:I was in agreement with most of you initially over his remark.

But let's cut the guy from slack. The Wii U isn't his platform of choice for his game, and he was being interviewed at home on the spot. What do you want him to do, stop the interview in the middle of it and google it?

Sure, that is pretty common knowledge, but I don't expect this guy to know everything about every game console. I would, however, expect him to be knowledge in the Wii U space if they start developing the game for it and actually need to start knowing this stuff.

They're working with Unity. It was actually a huge thing for Unity when they announced that it was going to be coming standard with all Wii U development kits. Not as an extra or for an extra licensing fee, it comes WITH the Wii U dev kit as a part of it. How can a developer NOT know what they're own game engine is doing? If they're even considering putting it on any other platform they should already know exactly what other platforms it supports.
void3953
Fairy
Fairy

Postby melvin2898 » 05 Feb 2013 17:35

jlatimer11 wrote:
void3953 wrote:

Professional guys.

Real professional.

Laughing my "a word" off!
melvin2898
Fairy
Fairy

Postby melvin2898 » 05 Feb 2013 17:35

Doesn't look that amazing to me and there's no way, they're reaching that goal.
melvin2898
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 05 Feb 2013 19:19

@void3953 This.

Just reeks of unprofessionalism - or plain stupidity to be blunt.
Chosenoneknuckles
Toad
Toad

NN ID: Chosenoneknux
3DS: 1590-4669-5649

Postby GeneticRepoMan » 06 Feb 2013 00:56

void3953 wrote:
GeneticRepoMan wrote:I was in agreement with most of you initially over his remark.

They're working with Unity. It was actually a huge thing for Unity when they announced that it was going to be coming standard with all Wii U development kits. Not as an extra or for an extra licensing fee, it comes WITH the Wii U dev kit as a part of it. How can a developer NOT know what they're own game engine is doing? If they're even considering putting it on any other platform they should already know exactly what other platforms it supports.

You strike some very good points! However, I still believe this isn't an act of unprofessionalism. I mean, I just did a quick search on the Kickstarter and there is NO mention of the Wii U anywhere, meaning that it honestly may not even be apart of their plans right now. He may not have even considered the Wii U as an option until he was asked.

In the quote it even says "First thoughts". The Wii U aspect may not have been even considered in their initial business plan and this is just his own personal opinion when asked by a journalist.

Don't get me wrong, this is definitely a blunder on his part, especially since the Unity news was pretty big. But really, I'm sure this will actually result in very good chances of the WIi U getting this game if it's successful.
If you add me on any platform, shoot me a PM and let me know!
GeneticRepoMan
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: GeneticRepoMan
3DS: 3952-7010-8227
PSN: darkfire0

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion