Rein says you can do Unreal Engine 4 on Wii U, but Epic i...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Rein says you can do Unreal Engine 4 on Wii U, but Epic i...

Postby robometal cowboy » 30 Mar 2013 18:14

Rein says you can do Unreal Engine 4 on Wii U, but Epic isn't
Click Here to View Story

"You heard the stupid gaffe yesterday about the Wii U. If someone wants to take Unreal Engine 4 and ship a game on Wii U, they can! If they wanna ship an Unreal Engine 4 game on Xbox 360, they could make it happen." - Mark Rein

So there you go. This is just what I said earlier on the site as well as the podcast. Unreal Engine 4 can be scaled for Wii U. It's just that Epic isn't the one that's going to do it. I'm looking at you, Ubisoft!

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Rein says you can do Unreal Engine 4 on Wii U, but Epic isn'

Postby LegendofSantiago » 30 Mar 2013 18:19

Yeah, we've known this for a while, it still sucks that Epic doesn't officially support it. I wonder if Nintendo should just get one of their teams to port it over correctly so other devs can use it.
Last edited by LegendofSantiago on 30 Mar 2013 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Re: Rein says you can do Unreal Engine 4 on Wii U, but Epic

Postby Aiddon » 30 Mar 2013 18:23

LegendofSantiago wrote:Yeah, we've known this for a while, it still sucks that Epic doesn't officially support it

I'm almost getting the feeling that what Rein wants is Nintendo giving them "incentives" to officially support the Wii U, but Nintendo's executives aren't that slimy. These almost come off as him saying "pay attention to me, Iwata!"
Aiddon
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Triforce of the Gods » 30 Mar 2013 18:27

Seriously? Can we drop this already?
Triforce of the Gods
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: TriforceoftheGod
3DS: 2921-9263-7348
Steam ID: TriforceoftheGods

Postby ddddd » 30 Mar 2013 18:28

Ubisoft uses Unreal Engines? I know they did it with Red Steel 2, but do they need it now?
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 30 Mar 2013 18:28

To me, all this mess is just Rein wanting attention for his "ubiquitous" (and overrated) engine(s)
Top 10 SSB4 wishlist: Little Mac, Lip, King K. Rool, Pac-Man, Isaac, Alice, Bomberman, Satoru, Wonder Red, Chase McCain (yes, I'm serious)
HammerGalladeBro
Boo
Boo

NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Postby LegendofSantiago » 30 Mar 2013 18:29

@Triforce of the Gods Well, one of these articles gave RMC like at least over 120 hits (based on the amount of comments) I'm sure RMC wouldn't mind posting more about this guy for more hits (hey, i can't blame the guy)
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Postby LegendofSantiago » 30 Mar 2013 18:30

@ddddd Ubisoft ported Unreal engine 2 to the 3DS. I think that's what he meant.
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Postby keyz » 30 Mar 2013 18:39

He should of said this in the first place but instead he wanted to be a fanboy. It'd be nice to see it on Wii U but I personally believe Retro's engine will be the definitive engine for Wii U.
keyz
keyz
Goomba
Goomba

Postby internet » 30 Mar 2013 18:41

Since , it's clearly not the first time , it's clear to me that he used the "lol nintendo" in order to once again promote the other two platforms . Nothing against that , but a simple , "if our partners choose to do so but we haven't got any plan for" would have been decent . And it will also have pleased many people , truth is he could really simply have said that yes it was in the plan since it's well possible . Let's not forget he was also a few years ago falling over himself to promote that ios game , certainly the reality of revenue hit him ... ... or he's just waiting for the next iphone most likely .

one thing i notice , who exactly only got a pc for a game system , i don't think many and i'm sure even if they say it's their first machine they still buy those seven to nine games on their console .
internet
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Hiltz » 30 Mar 2013 18:51

Even if someone makes a Wii U game using UE4 or a third-party in-house engine equivalent, it begs the question, is it really worth making such compromises to get it on Wii U ? People are naturally going to want the better looking and better performance versions of these games on the originally intended platforms they were meant for. Wii U isn't focused on pushing next-gen tech, it's about offering different kind of experiences like with off-TV play and asymmetric gameplay. Wii U has some compelling features, but it wouldn't be enough to interest people in picking up the technicall weakest version of the game (watered down graphically, removal of special effects, and maybe even removal of some content as well).
Hiltz
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Sylverstone14 » 30 Mar 2013 18:57

End of story.
Sylverstone14
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: Sylverstone14
Steam ID: Sylverstone14

Postby Mighty Shouter » 30 Mar 2013 18:59

Hiltz wrote:Even if someone makes a Wii U game using UE4 or a third-party in-house engine equivalent, it begs the question, is it really worth making such compromises to get it on Wii U ? People are naturally going to want the better looking and better performance versions of these games on the originally intended platforms they were meant for. Wii U isn't focused on pushing next-gen tech, it's about offering different kind of experiences like with off-TV play and asymmetric gameplay. Wii U has some compelling features, but it wouldn't be enough to interest people in picking up the technicall weakest version of the game (watered down graphically, removal of special effects, and maybe even removal of some content as well).

Or maybe people Wii U will offer a better gameplay experience that can't be found on other consoles?
Mighty Shouter
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Koopzilla » 30 Mar 2013 19:03

The guy had to laugh at the Wii U to keep from angering from the brocore.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

NN ID: Koopzilla
3DS: 2793-0595-9972

Postby Triforce of the Gods » 30 Mar 2013 19:13

LegendofSantiago wrote:@Triforce of the Gods Well, one of these articles gave RMC like at least over 120 hits (based on the amount of comments) I'm sure RMC wouldn't mind posting more about this guy for more hits (hey, i can't blame the guy)

That was more directed at the people who keep bringing it up, prompting him to keep rewording himself than to RMC for reporting it.
Triforce of the Gods
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: TriforceoftheGod
3DS: 2921-9263-7348
Steam ID: TriforceoftheGods

Postby nGen » 30 Mar 2013 19:13

With this news, here is hoping Bioshock Eternity sees a release on the Wii U... in four years from now.
Any objections lady?
nGen
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

3DS: 1633-4277-3240
Wii: 8216060320213884

Postby shadowbuster » 30 Mar 2013 19:14

This is the kind of guy that puts the industry to shame. I'm not saying he's a douche for not supporting the UE4 on Wii U, is for the way he says it, laughing at it in front of an audience, and looking down to it as well.

If Rein would have said politely the issues with the engine on the Wii U, then we would not have to cyber-smack him, and he would not make more excuses to justify his actions.
please support my friend's spanish Nintendo blog NintenDominante for the latest Nintendo News in spanish!
shadowbuster
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby TimmiT » 30 Mar 2013 19:32

shadowbuster wrote:This is the kind of guy that puts the industry to shame. I'm not saying he's a douche for not supporting the UE4 on Wii U, is for the way he says it, laughing at it in front of an audience, and looking down to it as well.

If Rein would have said politely the issues with the engine on the Wii U, then we would not have to cyber-smack him, and he would not make more excuses to justify his actions.

Or you know, console fanboys could just stop throwing rocks at every negative thing that is said about the Wii U. Mark Rein was asked if an engine meant for next-gen hardware and high-end PCs would be coming to a console with hardware similar to that of the Xbox 360 and PS3. He laughed at it because it obviously wouldn't be able to do much more than Unreal Engine 3 can on the console, let alone run it with a stable framerate. It just was a stupid question.
TimmiT
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Windsor » 30 Mar 2013 19:33

This guy is an ass. Simple as that. He laughed at the Nintendo while he had an audience of Xbox and PlayStation fans, and then backtracked to save face as soon as nobody but Nintendo fans were still listening. Kotaku, IGN, and sites of that nature are only going to report the fact that Epic laughed at Nintendo and called it incapable. Reminds me of what was pulled at the presidential debates, and it was disgusting there too.
A faithful GoNintendo reader/comment leaver for three years!
Here's my Twitter page. If you stay far away no one would blame you.
https://twitter.com/WindsorNEH
Windsor
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: WindsorNH
3DS: 1075-0722-4693

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 30 Mar 2013 19:38

Its too late now. -_-

I've seen "gamers" take his words to heart and now definitively believe the Wii U is not "next-gen".

Shocker. (¬¸¬)
Innovation is a funny thing in gaming... Do too much and you alienate fans of the genre, but don't do enough and you're blamed for making the same ol' game.Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
Wii: 3983-9278-9384-2345
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby LegendofSantiago » 30 Mar 2013 19:41

@TimmiT The guy laughed at the notion of the engine coming to wii u in a public conference, that's not just some silly irrelevant thing someone said towards the wii u. (that "no fun" picture doesn't really work in this situation)
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Trutrutru » 30 Mar 2013 19:59

Im hoping someone like retro is put to work on porting the engine over and really optimizing it for the wiiu.

There is a rumor they are working on their own engine meant to best exploit the wiiu's capabilities. If for whatever reason they dont offer the engine to 3rd parties (lets hope they do if the rumor is true), then they should work on getting this running very well optimized for the wiiu in the hopes of getting more 3rd party support.
Trutrutru
Fairy
Fairy

Postby alankmky » 30 Mar 2013 20:01

He said the same thing about Unreal Engine 3 with the Wii: http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=4601

Mark Rein: That’s not to say some people won’t do it, I’m sure one of our licensees at some point will port [Unreal Engine 3] to Wii, and ship their game on Wii, that wouldn’t surprise me.

It didn't happen and it won't happen for the Wii U. Drop it and move on.
alankmky
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Trutrutru » 30 Mar 2013 20:11

TimmiT wrote:
shadowbuster wrote:This is the kind of guy that puts the industry to shame. I'm not saying he's a douche for not supporting the UE4 on Wii U, is for the way he says it, laughing at it in front of an audience, and looking down to it as well.

Or you know, console fanboys could just stop throwing rocks at every negative thing that is said about the Wii U. Mark Rein was asked if an engine meant for next-gen hardware and high-end PCs would be coming to a console with hardware similar to that of the Xbox 360 and PS3. He laughed at it because it obviously wouldn't be able to do much more than Unreal Engine 3 can on the console, let alone run it with a stable framerate. It just was a stupid question.

Let alone run it at a stable framerate?!??!....the hell are you talking about? You do realize its the game one creates that determines the framerate. How graphically or physics or whatever intense it is. Just an engine running on a system doesnt determine how stable the framerate will be. If anything it would be more stable due to better efficiencies and optimizations over the previous version. Not to mention the engine is suppose to run on mobile platforms. The issue of power is irrelevant when this thing is supposed to be on tablets and phones.

And the outcry for this engine on the wiiu is less about maximizing graphics than it is about being able to simplify the ports situatiin as much as possible. Who knows how difficult it would be porting an unreal 4 engine game to an unreal 3 engine wiiu release. But if it had unreal 4, it would be one less obstacle in the port process.
Trutrutru
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Autosaver » 30 Mar 2013 20:14

alankmky wrote:He said the same thing about Unreal Engine 3 with the Wii: http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=4601

Mark Rein: That’s not to say some people won’t do it, I’m sure one of our licensees at some point will port [Unreal Engine 3] to Wii, and ship their game on Wii, that wouldn’t surprise me.

It didn't happen and it won't happen for the Wii U. Drop it and move on.

Wii was incredibly weak though.
Autosaver
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: Autosaver

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion