Japan - Nintendo Direct on parental controls, USB storage...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Japan - Nintendo Direct on parental controls, USB storage...

Postby robometal cowboy » 14 Nov 2012 14:12

Japan - Nintendo Direct on parental controls, USB storage, backwards compatibility and Nintendo Network Premium
Click Here to View Story

Parental Controls

- Nintendo realizes that some parents may fear that their children may use the Wii U's internet functionality without permission. Wii U has Parental Controls.
- Can restrict content based on user age, CERO (Japan ESRB) rating, internet functionality, internet browser, e-Shop spending, Miiverse functionality, friend registrations, videos, data management, internet settings
- Wii U keyboard input can save user input habits and predictive input in a specific database that depends on the game and user. Wii U does not save input data that you don't want other users to know into the database.
- Miiverse settings can be turned on/off depending on the save profiles per game.

USB Data Storage

- 8GB = 7.2GB, 32GB = 29GB in terms of actual save data. Wii U uses around 4.2GB when using the system for the first time.
- NSMBU is ~2GB, Nintendo Land is ~3.2GB. So, both won't fit into the Basic set at the same time.
- Wii U lets you put data onto a connected USB media drive.
- One USB drive at a time only.
- Cannot disconnect the external drive while plugged into the Wii U and receiving power.
- You can use general drives.
- Nintendo cannot guarantee that small hard disks (bus-powered) that require more power than USB 2.0 can handle will work properly.
- Generally, hard disks that have Y-Cables (2 USB connectors) will work with the Wii U.
- Nintendo warns that for USB flash drives, even though the Wii U will detect and connect them as it would a hard disk, due to limitations on the number of times data is read from the disk and how this will eventually wear the USB flash drive down, Nintendo does NOT recommend leaving important save and other game data on a USB flash drive for long periods of time. How this plays out depends on the game, of course.
- Wii U will read up to 2TB only for external hard drives even if hard drive has more space.
- In Data Management, you must format the connected media drive. Note that this means you cannot use the drive with a PC.
- You can move data from internal Wii U storage to external USB media in Data Management and vice versa. Data on both internal and external media will appear in the menu.
- At launch, only 1 USB hard drive can be connected, but through a future update, more than 1 will be possible and you will be able to move data between them freely.
- SD Cards can hold PC data, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but cannot be used to save Wii U game save data.

Backwards Compatibility

- Wii games, Virtual Console, Wii Ware stuff cannot be played using the GamePad screen, but only on the TV in Wii Mode
- Iwata: "We understand that there are people who were looking forward to playing Wii games, Virtual Console games, and so forth on the GamePad, but unfortunately we cannot accommodate those users' expectations."
- There are plans for a Wii U Virtual Console that WILL be compatible with the Wii U GamePad. Please look forward to it in the future.

Nintendo Network Premium

- For Premium Set buyers only
- Point service
- Make Nintendo Network ID, then login to find and use the service
- After logging in, you can see the points you have earned
- Buy with download card or download number
- Earn 10% back on purchases
- Earn back purchase points in ¥500 increments
- Points earned can be used with Wii U/3DS e-Shop, Wii Shopping Channel, DSi Shop

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: Japan - Nintendo Direct on parental controls, USB storag

Postby Edsanji » 14 Nov 2012 14:19

First? Well... I don't know what to say.... This seems archaic to me....
PSN: Edsanji
3DS FC: way too long to remember it....
Wii FC: Why some will need that?
Edsanji
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: Edsanji
PSN: Edsanji

Postby Aaronrules380 » 14 Nov 2012 14:28

So basic set essentially only has 3 GB of usable memory. That seems pretty bad. I guess you really are expected to get an external HDD. Also, good to know we'll get a wii u virtual console, but I really hope Nintendo won't try to charge people again to buy a game for that if they had it on wii virtual console.
Aaronrules380

Postby gamblor » 14 Nov 2012 14:31

Yeah if you need to rebuy the Wii u VC games just for gamepad support that'll be BS
gamblor

Japan - Nintendo Direct on parental controls, USB storage, b

Postby Zaakro » 14 Nov 2012 14:32

@Aaronrules380

That was pretty much expected. Anyone that owns a Xbox 360/ PS3 knows that the OS takes up a few Gigs of space on the Hard drive. And anyone that was going to buy any games digital wouldn't be able to use the built in memory for anything any ways
Zaakro
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: zaakro
3DS: 3823-8513-5205
XBL: Zaakro

Postby BlueRangerVegeta » 14 Nov 2012 14:37

gamblor wrote:Yeah if you need to rebuy the Wii u VC games just for gamepad support that'll be BS

Not to be rude but what were you expecting? They are asking you to rebuy VC games on 3DS right now. Why wouldnt they do the same with WiiU? If anything I am surprised the VC titles transfer over at all.

Don't like it? Then do what I do... dont buy ANY of their digital content. Ever since they started reselling VC games I already had on 3DS I havent touched the eshop except to get demoes and I likely never will again. If enough people stand up for themselves Nintendos bottom line will hurt and I assure you they will quit trying to screw us really quick.

PM me to add me to WiiU, PSN, Steam, or 3DS. Always up for a Brawl matchup too!
BlueRangerVegeta
Chocobo
Chocobo

3DS: 0430-8288-0846
PSN: Rcerboss

Postby MAGNUS-8M » 14 Nov 2012 14:40

@Aaronrules380
Essentially, if you buy the basic set, you're committing yourself to either buying an HDD like you said, or you plan on buying actual physical retail copies.

Personally I think the deluxe set is and will always be the better option(especially at only 50 bucks more and giving you 10% back towards more purchases), but if you're in a bind, can't wait, and the basic set is all you can get, I still think 3GB will do just fine if you're buying all retail(especially if you opt for a 1 or 2 TB drive). I doubt people have that many backlogged Wii-VC or WiiWare games to exceed 3GB, or that save data from retail-disc games will exceed 3GB. But I'd be wary of maybe exclusively Wii-U eShop games that might exceed that when you start getting more and more of them.
MAGNUS-8M
Boo
Boo

NN ID: MAGNUS-8M
3DS: 5241-2075-2337

Postby BlueRangerVegeta » 14 Nov 2012 14:43

MAGNUS-8M wrote:@Aaronrules380
Essentially, if you buy the basic set, you're committing yourself to either buying an HDD like you said, or you plan on buying actual physical retail copies.

Personally I think the deluxe set is and will always be the better option(especially at only 50 bucks more and giving you 10% back towards more purchases), but if you're in a bind, can't wait, and the basic set is all you can get, I still think 3GB will do just fine if you're buying all retail(especially if you opt for a 1 or 2 TB drive). I doubt people have that many backlogged Wii-VC or WiiWare games to exceed 3GB, or that save data from retail-disc games will exceed 3GB. But I'd be wary of maybe exclusively Wii-U eShop games that might exceed that when you start getting more and more of them.

You have to transfer everything, and that can add up for some people. Not that I touch Wiiware anymore outside the occasional game of Dr. Mario RX or Excirebike World Rally, but still...

BlueRangerVegeta
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby grcpan » 14 Nov 2012 14:45

- In Data Management, you must format the connected media drive. Note that this means you cannot use the drive with a PC.

That's kinda disappointing. Using an external drive for the WiiU alone is a waste.
grcpan
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby ZeroFlame16 » 14 Nov 2012 14:45

So if there a Wii U Virtual Console in the works? For the systems that were also on the Wii VC that get new releases for those systems on the Wii U VC, will they appear on the Wii VC?
ZeroFlame16
Fairy
Fairy

Postby M1 » 14 Nov 2012 14:46

BlueRangerVegeta wrote:
gamblor wrote:Yeah if you need to rebuy the Wii u VC games just for gamepad support that'll be BS

Not to be rude but what were you expecting? They are asking you to rebuy VC games on 3DS right now. Why wouldnt they do the same with WiiU? If anything I am surprised the VC titles transfer over at all.

Don't like it? Then do what I do... dont buy ANY of their digital content. Ever since they started reselling VC games I already had on 3DS I havent touched the eshop except to get demoes and I likely never will again. If enough people stand up for themselves Nintendos bottom line will hurt and I assure you they will quit trying to screw us really quick.

How naive you really are.

Sony makes PSP owners rebuy their PSP digital content on Vita.
Microsoft made people rebuy their Xbox digital content on 360 (if the content was available)

You will have to rebuy all your digital content for the next Xbox and PS4, due to the nature of licenses.

Licenses are per system per generation, thus every time a new gen begins you will have to rebuy the digital content on the new systems.

That is just the nature of digital content and how the industry works.
No hardware maker is going to eat the 10s of millions of dollars required to relicense all the digital content, so their users can transfer over for free!
M1 is no more...
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby M1 » 14 Nov 2012 14:47

grcpan wrote:

That's kinda disappointing. Using an external drive for the WiiU alone is a waste.

Well they are trying to make sure people don't pirate and hack games like they did on Wii via the SD cards on their PCs.
M1 is no more...
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Eternal Rain » 14 Nov 2012 14:53

The only thing I need to know is this: will my purchase history be saved when I do the data transfer, so this way I can just re-download all of my WiiWare games without being charged again? The only data I could fit into my Wii's system memory is all of my VC games, leaving me with only 200 or so blocks of memory left. The Wiiware games, which took up more than 1000 blocks, couldn't be put on the system. I just want to know because I have games like Fluidity, all five Monkey Island episodes, and NyxQuest, and I'd really hate to learn that I lose close to $100 of games.
Eternal Rain
Boo
Boo

Postby BlueRangerVegeta » 14 Nov 2012 14:54

M1 wrote:
BlueRangerVegeta wrote:

How naive you really are.

Sony makes PSP owners rebuy their PSP digital content on Vita.
Microsoft made people rebuy their Xbox digital content on 360 (if the content was available)

You will have to rebuy all your digital content for the next Xbox and PS4,

due to the nature of licenses.

Licenses are per system per generation, thus every time a new gen begins you will have to rebuy the digital content on the new systems.

That is just the nature of digital content and how the industry works.
No hardware maker is going to eat the 10s of millions of dollars required to relicense all the digital content, so their users can transfer over for free!

You dont know what you are talking about so I have to ask why did you see fit to post?. I dont know anything about MS, I avoid them because they rip people off. But you dont have to rebuy any DIGITAL content on Vita if it is on your PSN. And licenses ARE NOT tied to a single system. PSNs equivelent of the VC is thrir PS1 games, they play on both my Vita and Ps3 with only one purchase. They are tied to an account. In fact you can have the same game installed on 2 PS3s at once, having only bought it once. Same with Steam, I have Steam games on my ddesktop, laptop, and even a couple on my work PC.

And your licensing talk is pure bs since all the NES games on 3DS are 1st party.

BlueRangerVegeta
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby M1 » 14 Nov 2012 15:03

Eternal Rain wrote:The only thing I need to know is this: will my purchase history be saved when I do the data transfer, so this way I can just re-download all of my WiiWare games without being charged again? The only data I could fit into my Wii's system memory is all of my VC games, leaving me with only 200 or so blocks of memory left. The Wiiware games, which took up more than 1000 blocks, couldn't be put on the system. I just want to know because I have games like Fluidity, all five Monkey Island episodes, and NyxQuest, and I'd really hate to learn that I lose close to $100 of games.

Yes you can redownload your Wii Shop Channel games after the transfer with no charge as if you were on your actually Wii.

@ BlueRangerVegeta
Sony charged $5 for each PSP UMD game you owned to download it on Vita (granted it was only offered in Japan).
If you owned the a digital download of a PSP game, you weren't able to download it for free on Vita.

PSP digital content it not all free for Vita owners to download if they owned it on PSP.

The only content that is free to download to your Vita is as follows:
Cross-play releases DLC (UMVC3, SFxTekken, and a few other games that are releasing. this is left up to the developer to use)
PS1 classics
PS Minis were left up to the developer

I actually owned a vita shortly after it came out and I found out what was Free to transfer on PSN.
M1 is no more...
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby BlueRangerVegeta » 14 Nov 2012 15:15

M1 wrote:
Eternal Rain wrote:The only thing I need to know is this: will my purchase history be saved when I do the data transfer, so this way I can just re-download all of my WiiWare games without being charged again? The only data I could fit into my Wii's system memory is all of my VC games, leaving me with only 200 or so blocks of memory left. The Wiiware games, which took up more than 1000 blocks, couldn't be put on the system. I just want to know because I have games like Fluidity, all five Monkey Island episodes, and NyxQuest, and I'd really hate to learn that I lose close to $100 of games.

Yes you can redownload your Wii Shop Channel games after the transfer with no charge as if you were on your actually Wii.

@ BlueRangerVegeta
Sony charged $5 for each PSP UMD game you owned to download it on Vita (granted it was only offered in Japan).
If you owned the a digital download of a PSP game, you weren't able to download it for free on Vita.

PSP digital content it not all free for Vita owners to download if they owned it on PSP.

Cross-play releases DLC (UMVC3, SFxTekken, and a few other games that are releasing. this is left up to the developer to use)
PS1 classics

I actually owned a vita shortly after it came out and I found out what was Free to transfer on PSN.

Key word there is PS1 classics. There is no reason short of pure greed that we cant play 1st party NES/SNES games on both Wii/WiiU and 3DS.

I only had a few PSP games but I got them on Vita free with no problems (only counting the digital games of course). Same with Ps1 classics. Even the few movies I own on PSN transferred with no problems. The only things that didnt transfer were my digital comics (Sony dropped support for them altogether) and the one PS2 game I own digitally (I expect that will be fixed soon).

And yes I expect it to transfer to PS4 with no problems. If not everythinf, then at least the 1st party owned stuff. And yes I expect it to move over to PS5 as well. And on and on for as long as the system can support the software. If it doesnt transfer then they sure as hell better not try to sell it to me again.
Last edited by BlueRangerVegeta on 14 Nov 2012 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

BlueRangerVegeta
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby Eternal Rain » 14 Nov 2012 15:17

M1 wrote:

As long as you're sure, then thanks for alleviating my biggest worry.
Eternal Rain
Boo
Boo

Postby M1 » 14 Nov 2012 15:26

BlueRangerVegeta wrote:
M1 wrote:

@ BlueRangerVegeta

PS1 classics

Key word there is PS1 classics. There is no reason short of pure greed that we cant play 1st party NES/SNES games on both Wii/WiiU and 3DS.

I would like to play Simcity (SNES) on the tablet or 3DS.
You do know they have to recoded and rerated all the content for the eShop (probably rerated for the Wii U).

Rerating alone costs a pretty penny by the time you get the rating for all the different countries and territories.

PS1 classics only had to be rerated once for PSN at the ESRB.

Though I'd say Sony's removal of PS2 BC and then charging you between $15 - $20 for the PSN version, charging you $40 for the HD remastered version, or not offering the game thru PSN (most of the PS2 catalog will never be available for purchase) is far more greedy than those who want to download a Wii U version of game they already own 3x over.
M1 is no more...
M1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby BlueRangerVegeta » 14 Nov 2012 15:43

I would like to play Simcity (SNES) on the tablet or 3DS.
You do know they have to recoded and rerated all the content for the eShop (probably rerated for the Wii U).

Rerating alone costs a pretty penny by the time you get the rating for all the different countries and territories.

PS1 classics only had to be rerated once for PSN at the ESRB.

Though I'd say Sony's removal of PS2 BC and then charging you between $15 - $20 for the PSN version, charging you $40 for the HD remastered version, or not offering the game thru PSN (most of the PS2 catalog will never be available for purchase) is far more greedy than those who want to download a Wii U version of game they already own 3x over.[/quote]

So I am asked to rebuy any games I want to play on my 3DS cause Nintendo screwed up their coding. Sorry not my problem. They should still be free to those who bought it on the Wii even if they arent all available at once.

I never said Sony was perfect. Had I owned a PS2 the lack of bc would have pissed me off. And the lack of upscaling would be an annoyance too. But I still dont think it is as bad as asking us to rebuy the same digital content again and again.

BlueRangerVegeta
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby Suke » 14 Nov 2012 17:58

I hope Nintendo. go to more detail about the USB Flash and Hard drive and SD card. I have to admit, I'm a bit lost.
Suke
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Ry » 14 Nov 2012 19:16

The inability to play VC games on the Gamepad sucks but hearing that they're planning to make games compatible in the future makes me feel a little better.
"Your blade...it did not cut deep enough."
Ry
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 14 Nov 2012 19:56

VC GameCube games on my GamePad?!

Yes please. :D
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
Wii: 3983-9278-9384-2345
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby kdognumba1 » 15 Nov 2012 04:55

SO basically what he's saying is, even though this entire time they've been saying you can "use" SD memory that just now, 4 days before the SYSTEM FREAKING LAUNCHES, that suddenly we can't use SD cards?

Have they taken into account some of us have already been making preparations? I literally just bought a 128 gig SDXC card that I was going to reformat to fat32 just for the Wii U and now.... FOUR DAYS BEFORE LAUNCH....... they want to say that I CAN'T use it????

The Wii U will be my last console.
kdognumba1
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: kdog254
3DS: 1676-3698-5986
Wii: 5726-8719-5929-3614
PSN: jotaroxtreme
XBL: kdog254

Postby joshb1983 » 15 Nov 2012 06:11

kdognumba1 wrote:SO basically what he's saying is, even though this entire time they've been saying you can "use" SD memory that just now, 4 days before the SYSTEM FREAKING LAUNCHES, that suddenly we can't use SD cards?

Have they taken into account some of us have already been making preparations? I literally just bought a 128 gig SDXC card that I was going to reformat to fat32 just for the Wii U and now.... FOUR DAYS BEFORE LAUNCH....... they want to say that I CAN'T use it????

The Wii U will be my last console.

This has actually been known for a while now...
joshb1983
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion