The tech behind Wii U's GamePad - info, distance test, tr...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

The tech behind Wii U's GamePad - info, distance test, tr...

Postby robometal cowboy » 16 Nov 2012 14:53

The tech behind Wii U's GamePad - info, distance test, tricks to extending range
Click Here to View Story

- tech was co-developed by Nintendo and Broadcom
- uses proprietary software to create a two-way stream of low-latency, high-definition video
- software is designed to mitigate interference and deliver a smooth video signal and communication speeds
- involves Wi-Fi Miracast, which Broadcom first developed last summer
- this is a system that is specifically designed to deal with interference issues while maintaining fast two-way communication
- optimal distance is 8 inches to a bit more than 26 feet from the console,
- setups in rural locations could nearly quadruple that distance
- communication could be impacted by interfering radio frequencies
- internal tests allowed the team to maintain connections between the Wii U and the GamePad at more than 100 feet
- if your setup has a lot of different [Wi-Fi routers] running simultaneously, that can impact range
- repeaters or range extenders could technically work to help the situation, but Nintendo hasn't really talked about that option yet
- tech would even theoretically support extending the GamePad's through wifi, meaning long-distance play
- Broadcom also is responsible for the Wii U's tech for connecting to the internet
- Broadcom expects more NFC usage talk after launch

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

The tech behind Wii U's GamePad - info, distance test, trick

Postby LegendofSantiago » 16 Nov 2012 14:55

- tech would even theoretically support extending the GamePad's through wifi, meaning long-distance play

I'd be interested in this, if i can play this on the second floor in my house on my bed i would love that.
Broadcom expects more NFC usage talk after launch

I'm pretty interested in this tech, i'm surprised Nintendo hasn't talked more about it. Maybe they are keeping it a secret so a certain company doesn't "borrow" that concept. Nintendo just HAS to use it with pokemon. Imagine a skylanders game but with characters people actually care about. That would sell gangbusters
Last edited by LegendofSantiago on 16 Nov 2012 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Re: The tech behind Wii U's GamePad - info, distance test, t

Postby Starseed77 » 16 Nov 2012 14:58

I had wondered about the potential for increasing its signal strength via extenders, I hope that comes because then I could potentially play whilst in the bedroom too, as is I don't think the signal will be strong enough,
Starseed77
Fairy
Fairy

Postby gtt » 16 Nov 2012 15:06

lets hope broadcom wrote the drivers for the NIC as well.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby majestik12 » 16 Nov 2012 15:35

so if wifi interferes, then why didnt they opt to put an ethernet port into the wiiu rather than only wifi? I was already leaning toward an adapter, but this gives me even more reason, all my consoles and desktop are wired, so hopefully that will help range.
majestik12

Postby cobaltorange » 16 Nov 2012 18:22

LegendofSantiago wrote:

I'd be interested in this, if i can play this on the second floor in my house on my bed i would love that.

That's nothing. Picture being able to play your Wii U at school, a cafe, airport, etc.
Bourgeois, why would you care for more? They give you almost everything. You believed almost anything.
cobaltorange
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby internet » 16 Nov 2012 19:27

well we already knew it went from nintendo to their partners and not the other way around . Still the mental gymnastic is running at full speed trying once again to say that it's easy , cheap and not by nintendo , and that of course anyone could do it . They made a first at a 16ms latency , but obviously just a cheap driver and the others platforms will be A ok .
The delusion is running wild , that's for sure . If the wii u is a success , i'm sure another the guy behind article will be in order . It's fantastic how the only clear constant thing is about not giving nintendo any credit in any technological development while granting magic power to ms or sony or even worse a couple of guy with homebrew talent .
internet
Metool
Metool

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion