Iwata - Doing what others do isn't cool, time will tell i...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Iwata - Doing what others do isn't cool, time will tell i...

Postby robometal cowboy » 16 Nov 2012 18:03

Iwata - Doing what others do isn't cool, time will tell if we chose the right path
Click Here to View Story

"The changes that have taken place over the last few years are massive. If we don't do anything to keep pushing forward, we may see demand shrink as those devices encroach on our space. We think it's the least cool thing to start doing something just because other people are making money doing it. We always want to do something that forces people to slap their knee and say 'we didn't think of that.' History will decide whether we're right. Or whether the people who say we're old fashioned are correct." - Satoru Iwata

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Iwata - Doing what others do isn't cool, time will tell if w

Postby ZeldaPrime » 16 Nov 2012 18:06

Iwata > Reggie
ZeldaPrime
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: HaxerNova95
PSN: HaxorNova95
XBL: HaxorNova95

Postby Chased » 16 Nov 2012 18:10

Huge respect for the man! I love the way he says things! You can't find it anywhere else!
Most Overrated Game Ever:
Portal
Chased
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby soccerfan384 » 16 Nov 2012 18:25

This just shows that Nintendo is really the "mature" one here, in regards to several other companies in the industry.
soccerfan384

Postby Pemicope » 16 Nov 2012 19:28

Well said, read this Sony and Micro$oft!
Nintendo Forever!
Pemicope
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: Pemicope

Re: Iwata - Doing what others do isn't cool, time will tell

Postby Koopzilla » 16 Nov 2012 19:58

That's one of the smartest things I've ever heard from someone in the video game business.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

NN ID: Koopzilla
3DS: 2793-0595-9972

Postby metalpants » 16 Nov 2012 20:16

The man never ceases to amaze me.
(>٭□٭)> Wii U
metalpants
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Jerome » 16 Nov 2012 20:17

robometal cowboy wrote:"We think it's the least cool thing to start doing something just because other people are making money doing it." - Satoru Iwata

So that's their excuse for dragging their heels in everything internet-related? Refusing to incorporate worthwhile innovations into your platforms just because other people thought of them first, while at the same time not offering a better option, isn't genius-- it's stupidity.
Jerome
Octorok
Octorok

Postby Johnknight1 » 16 Nov 2012 21:23

@Pemicope
Yes, go back 10 years in internet-based technology.

*insert troll face here*
Johnknight1
Fairy
Fairy

Postby ayanami85 » 16 Nov 2012 21:24

iwara is awesome
ayanami85
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Quetzalcoatl2k » 17 Nov 2012 03:39

Say what y'all will about how they handle internet-related things, but the fact that other companies started playing "follow-the-leader" with Nintendo ever since the Wii means that their mentality has more than proved its worth.
Quetzalcoatl2k
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: quetzalcoatl2k

Postby Koopzilla » 17 Nov 2012 04:43

Quetzalcoatl2k wrote:Say what y'all will about how they handle internet-related things, but the fact that other companies started playing "follow-the-leader" with Nintendo ever since the Wii means that their mentality has more than proved its worth.

Other companies have been playing follow the leader with Nintendo since long before that. I mean look at the Playstation controller, basically a Super Nintendo controller with a crappy d-pad, or the Sega Master System controller, basically an NES controller with a crappy d-pad...d-pads, analogs, shoulder buttons, button layouts, motion controls, they even had online as far back as Super Nintendo for those who act like X-Box invented online gaming. I'm just glad somebody is doing something besides what others are doing.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

Postby Jerome » 17 Nov 2012 04:58

Quetzalcoatl2k wrote:Say what y'all will about how they handle internet-related things, but the fact that other companies started playing "follow-the-leader" with Nintendo ever since the Wii means that their mentality has more than proved its worth.

On some things, not on others. Notice you don't see many other devices out there with dual screens or glasses-free 3D.
Jerome
Octorok
Octorok

Postby bearded OTP » 17 Nov 2012 19:33

I'd slap my knee with controllers that used USB, or headsets that weren't tethered to a brick...or DVD players...but who's keeping track of standards not being met!
Don't sit there and peek around the corner and ask me stupid questions when I'm playing a video game like 'who's winning?' I'M winning. that's all you need to know.
bearded OTP
Goomba
Goomba

3DS: 2320-6357-8902
PSN: bearded_OTP
XBL: Bearded OTP

Postby linkgx1 » 17 Nov 2012 21:14

Yeah...but you seem to be ignoring the fact that the N64 and GCN also did shovel different and looked what happend. Small discs. Continuous cartidge use.
linkgx1
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: Linkgx1
PSN: Linkgx1
XBL: Linkgx1

Postby Koopzilla » 18 Nov 2012 00:09

linkgx1 wrote:

Yeah...but you seem to be ignoring the fact that the N64 and GCN also did shovel different and looked what happend. Small discs. Continuous cartidge use.

N64 brought analog controls, something every console since has had, essentially ushering in the era of 3D games. I would agree with the Gamecube, didn't do much different, and as awesome of a system as it was didn't do too well because of it, though it did have the first good wireless controller which has been standard since.

And cartridges have their advantages too. I prefer them, the only problem is is it's so much cheaper to store large amounts of information on discs. They are far more durable, a scratch isn't going to render them unplayable. Load times are much faster, even almost instantaneous. And information stored on discs deteriorate at a much faster rate, long after the disc games are completely unplayable NES cartridges will still work fine. Then there's problems with the disk drive itself, they have moving parts which wear out and quit working, and are much more susceptible to breaking from being dropped or banged around.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

Postby Jerome » 18 Nov 2012 03:51

Koopzilla wrote:N64 brought analog controls, something every console since has had, essentially ushering in the era of 3D games.

Actually, N64 wasn't the first console with an analog joystick in the controller, not by a long shot*. The first to feature this was an obscure console called the "1292 Advanced Programmable Video System", and was released in 1976(!). The Atari 5200 had one in 1982 (though, unfortunately, it wasn't self-centering), and the Vectrex, also released in 1982, had an analog joystick and could even display some primitive 3D-like vector graphics. Sony introduced a dual-analog flightstick accessory for the Playstation in early 1996, (a few months before N64 was even released), and the Sega Saturn had an analog controller which released only about two weeks after N64 did. It's pretty clear that Nintendo did not invent the small analog joystick, though they did provide compelling software that helped show its capabilities, thereby helping to popularize it.

Also, don't forget that while N64's controller did have a forward-thinking analog thumbstick, it also showed a lot of poor design choices that were later abandoned by Nintendo and never copied by anyone else, including the tri-handled design, strange face button design with 2 large A & B buttons and 4 small c-buttons, and accessories that stuck out the bottom of the controller and made it quite heavy and unwieldy. I would actually argue that after the introduction of the SNES controller, Sony has actually done more to advance the standard controller than Nintendo. Think about it:

Nintendo:
Analog stick (not new, but had been ignored for a while) - superceded by dual analogs
Add-on rumble capability - Sony introduced integrated rumble the same month
Optional wireless controller - not new by any means, but they made it finally work well enough

Sony:
Dual analog sticks - now industry standard
(also, these sticks used the now industry-standard potentiometer-based design, instead of the rickety and poorly-wearing spring and gear design of the N64 stick)
Clickable analog sticks - now industry standard
Integrated rumble tech - now industry standard
Two sets of shoulder buttons - now industry standard
Two large ergonomic handles - now industry standard
Integrated rumble - now industry standard
Bottom center face button as main button - now standard with everybody but Nintendo (?)

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_stick
Last edited by Jerome on 18 Nov 2012 15:30, edited 2 times in total.
Jerome
Octorok
Octorok

Postby Koopzilla » 18 Nov 2012 10:46

I just don't think Sony would have ever done any of those things on their own. Other than the fact that we have what they did, but ours is better (there's twice the amount, or it's built in), left on their own we could still be using the PS1 controller. Not that there's anything wrong with improving on things, but I don't think they would have taken the risk until someone else had proven it works. I think Nintendo would have replaced the 4 c buttons with another analog and built the rumble in. Granted, there's no way of knowing any of that for sure now. I will give Sony credit for the two ergonomic handles though, a very good idea.

On a side note, I can't understand why Sony hasn't moved the analog to the "main position" where their d-pad is at. I will also say, I can't understand why Nintendo decided to move their second analog to the "main position" where the buttons should be. Those both seem to be pretty poor design choices imo. Another thing is I don't have no idea why the analog shoulder buttons like the Gamecube had didn't catch on, those were great and had some really good uses like controlled spinning of things or acceleration, but even Nintendo has abandoned that idea.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

Postby Jerome » 18 Nov 2012 14:04

Koopzilla wrote:I just don't think Sony would have ever done any of those things on their own. Other than the fact that we have what they did, but ours is better (there's twice the amount, or it's built in), left on their own we could still be using the PS1 controller. Not that there's anything wrong with improving on things, but I don't think they would have taken the risk until someone else had proven it works.

That doesn't fit with the facts, though. Sony released the Playstation Analog Joystick (featuring dual analog joysticks instead of thumbsticks, but based on the same basic mechanism, and compatible with a good variety of games) before N64 even came out. As for force feedback, they released the Playstation Dual Analog Controller (which had integrated rumble, though only in the Japanese version) in the same month the Rumble Pak was released (both in April of 1997). That doesn't sound like a company that's only following and tweaking what Nintendo does. For that matter, they came out with a motion control system for a home console (Eye Toy) 3 full years before Wii. Yes, Nintendo has been innovative, but they don't have a monopoly on innovation in console gaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStatio ... g_Joystick
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Analog_Controller
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EyeToy
Jerome
Octorok
Octorok

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion