Nintendo aware of Wii U slow load times and freezing, off...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Nintendo aware of Wii U slow load times and freezing, off...

Postby robometal cowboy » 19 Nov 2012 16:26

Nintendo aware of Wii U slow load times and freezing, offers help
Click Here to View Story

Nintendo knows that there are Wii U consoles that are freezing out there. They also know that some people find the transitions between menus a bit too slow. Here's what Nintendo has to say about both topics.

Freezing

What to do:

Instances of system freezing are rare and unlikely to occur. If your system has frozen unexpectedly, do the following:

Reset your system by unplugging it from the wall for 10 seconds.
Ensure your system is kept current with available system updates

Slow loads

We are aware that users are experiencing load times when they launch or switch between applications. We are exploring ways to enhance features for consumers’ overall experience.

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: Nintendo aware of Wii U slow load times and freezing, of

Postby gtt » 19 Nov 2012 16:29

maybe should have explored a faster cpu.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Nintendo aware of Wii U slow load times and freezing, offers

Postby jlatimer11 » 19 Nov 2012 16:30

I HATE when Nintendo does this, Square-Enix too.

These complaints aren't coming from nowhere. This is the FIRST DAY OF LAUNCH and people are having problems.

It always seems like they minimize how much of a problem there is.

S-EX was famous for this in FFXI.
jlatimer11
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: jlatimer11
3DS: 1891-1333-7003
PSN: jlatimer11
XBL: jmlat

Postby WolfLink22 » 19 Nov 2012 16:31

Well if they want to fix freezing and load times they should have double checked each system before the launch day.
WolfLink22
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: MattZelda101
Wii: Ask me for it.

Postby gamefreak613 » 19 Nov 2012 16:32

"We are aware that users are experiencing load times when they launch or switch between applications. We are exploring ways to enhance features for consumers’ overall experience." = We were hoping no one would notice or complain, but since you did, we'll address it in a vague statement that means we hope we can fix the issue in a software update later.

I hope they can... :\
gamefreak613
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: gamefreak613

Postby DarthGamer » 19 Nov 2012 16:35

After all these issues, plus the Batman low framerate / and mixed ZombiU reviews, have decided to cancel my preorder of the zombiU bundle for now. Good thing European released wasn't yesterday as well.

Sorry, Nintendo, but I'm not your guinea pig. Fix the issues first, then I will consider again.
Last edited by DarthGamer on 19 Nov 2012 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
DarthGamer
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Chased » 19 Nov 2012 16:35

@jlatimer11
@WolfLink22

Yes. It's because it's Nintendo's fault that stupid consumers are powering down their consoles while they're installing an update!

It is also their fault that even with their best efforts, there was simply no way of handling all this traffic in their servers in a better way! You know, because technology is limitless!

Gah, some people...
Most Overrated Game Ever:
Portal
Chased
Goomba
Goomba

Postby cobaltorange » 19 Nov 2012 16:37

It's quite ridiculous. Maybe if Nintendo didn't rush the product out to try meeting holiday demand, this wouldn't be an issue. Not as bad as RROD, but still.
Bourgeois, why would you care for more? They give you almost everything. You believed almost anything.
cobaltorange
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Stunt_Duck » 19 Nov 2012 16:39

I feel like they should be able to overcome these issues, and it really appears that not too many contingencies were put in place for when network traffic is not optimal. I am disappointed at the graphics in ZombiU a bit, but I really am chalking this up to the developers of these games not even having final dev kits until awhile ago.

The graphics, framerates, and all these issues will improve exponentially over the next year. Pikmin 3 should be a much better example of optimized games for the platform. Despite my freezes, I am loving this console, I just need the menus to be a little snappier.
Stunt_Duck
Fairy
Fairy

Postby coffeewithchess » 19 Nov 2012 16:42

Chased wrote:@jlatimer11
@WolfLink22

Yes. It's because it's Nintendo's fault that stupid consumers are powering down their consoles while they're installing an update!

It is also their fault that even with their best efforts, there was simply no way of handling all this traffic in their servers in a better way! You know, because technology is limitless!

Gah, some people...

No, stop defending a company against a product having legitimate issues. This isn't about people turning off their Wii U's during an update, this is about the system randomly freezing and the hard reset not working (as mentioned in the manual). And how the loading between apps takes about 10 seconds to switch/load.

It is Nintendo's fault for not being ready day one with their best efforts, and for making Scott Moffitt a liar by not having every feature (Nintendo TVii) ready at launch.

Talk about defending a company against legitimate issues...GAH SOME PEOPLE! rofl
http://www.coffeewithgames.com/
Drinking coffee, playing games...
coffeewithchess
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Coffees
Wii: 6546-4207-4091-0847
PSN: Hoj_Latte

Postby jlatimer11 » 19 Nov 2012 16:43

Chased wrote:@jlatimer11
@WolfLink22

Gah, some people...

So it's apparently MY fault that some apps take MINUTES to load?

Gah, some people...
jlatimer11
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: jlatimer11
3DS: 1891-1333-7003
PSN: jlatimer11
XBL: jmlat

Postby LegendofSantiago » 19 Nov 2012 16:45

@Stunt_Duck Yeah, i love what i have seen, but it just needs to be optimized a bit. valiant effort for a console launch whose most advanced os was the 3DS os that didn't even have a browser at until 3 months later, hopefully the update will come soon, the december update should hopefully fix some things
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Postby PEICanada7 » 19 Nov 2012 16:46

How did Nintendo rush the system out? By all accounts the delayed it, because most thought it would have been out in August or September. Remember all the talk before E3?
PEICanada7

Postby D3stiny_Sm4sher » 19 Nov 2012 16:46

"We are exploring ways to enhance features for consumers’ overall experience."
That is not assuring me of the load times. Why can't this sucker switch apps as seemlessly as the 3DS does? Or was the 3DS this quirky and slow at launch, as well?
D3stiny_Sm4sher
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Wii: 8040-2962-6573-6113
PSN: D3stiny_Sm4sher-
XBL: XD3stiny_Sm4sher

Postby t27duck » 19 Nov 2012 16:46

I recall the Wii early on would take a while to load some apps.
I'm available, ladies!!!
t27duck
Keymaster
Keymaster

3DS: 068853513150
XBL: t527duck

Postby ChrisCanberg » 19 Nov 2012 16:47

If I'm to have a single complaint about this system, sometimes the menus take a while to boot up. But this is far from a game-breaker. I'm loving it so far. NSMBU and Nintendo Land are great fun. Will finally try out ZombiU when I get home.
ChrisCanberg
Goomba
Goomba

Postby LegendofSantiago » 19 Nov 2012 16:49

@D3stiny_Sm4sher The 3DS pretty much had nothing at launch. It also had freezes and no internet browser.
LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Postby NightsOwl » 19 Nov 2012 16:59

Nintendo dropped the ball, yes.

But the only very major thing is the bricking and that's because of a lack of common sense. (in most cases)

Freezing is indeed annoying and can be troublesome with the bricking issue, but we'll see what happens..
Rhythm Game fanatic. DJMax, Taiko no Tatsujin, DDR, Rockband, Guitar Hero, Rhythm Heaven, Beatmania, and Pop n' Music. Amazing.
NightsOwl
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: Nights0wl
3DS: 0404-6041-2332

Postby joshb1983 » 19 Nov 2012 17:02

I figured the load times were due to online traffic, as my Wii U seemed to be quite a bit faster today. (3-5 seconds instead of 10-15.) I'm sure they'll fix it. It's not really THAT big of a deal honestly. The freezing is a bigger concern, but I've only had that happen once. Mine froze when I was trying to download the transfer app, and my internet crapped out in the middle of it.
joshb1983
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby idkmybffjams » 19 Nov 2012 17:04

Im not having any issues to be honest.
idkmybffjams

Postby WolfLink22 » 19 Nov 2012 17:07

@Chased

It is Nintendo's fault in the sense that they could have tested out the load time for the apps and the switching.

As for the freezing they could have checked it before hand to not get these complaints.

Sure I don't have a Wii U yet, but come on when the Wii had some of these problems we had these complaints too. I want to be sure that when I do get a Wii U Deluxe model that I don't have to get a replacement console from Wal Mart or Target or Game Stop or where ever I get my Wii U once I buy it after the holiday season is over and when I can afford it too.

So before you go defending Nintendo for these 2 issues you got to understand that not all of it is from unplugging while it is on.

Some have had issues with it during a Power outage and not all power outages are from people driving into a power source like power lines. Some had storms come up without warning and knock out the power for others they have had transformers go out or they have had some other out of their control issue happen to them. So before you go blaming 1 thing check out other possible causes first.

Also I have made sure to never update any system I've ever had during storms or scheduled power checks to prevent my system from getting bricked or damaged too. Some Wii U systems have been bricked without the fault of the owner who bought or had it gifted to them too.

So please check possible causes before defending any company.
WolfLink22
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: MattZelda101
Wii: Ask me for it.

Postby gatorboi352 » 19 Nov 2012 17:14

Stunt_Duck wrote:I am disappointed at the graphics in ZombiU a bit, but I really am chalking this up to the developers of these games not even having final dev kits until awhile ago.

Not only that, but Ubisoft flat out admitted in an interview some months back that they weren't even taking a risk on Wii U with a case in point to ZombiU specifically saying that the team developing it was very small and was essentially a "B team" of devs.
gatorboi352
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: gatorboi352
Wii: 6358 4960 5851 8155

Postby gatorboi352 » 19 Nov 2012 17:14

idkmybffjams wrote:Im not having any issues to be honest.

Seconded.
gatorboi352
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: gatorboi352
Wii: 6358 4960 5851 8155

Postby AadmM » 19 Nov 2012 17:20

My system froze earlier while downloading a game off the eShop...which I am now in the process of re-downloading.

Just one of the joys of being an early adopter!
AadmM
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: atombeany
3DS: 2019-9824-4588

Postby DarkRaptor » 19 Nov 2012 17:31

no issues here ether. The slowness is not surprising with everyone online all at once updating. I know it will take a little time, but they will get it together.
DarkRaptor
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: DarkRaptor

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion