The maintenance patch that Konami announced for Super Bomberman R is now available. This brings the game up to version 1.3.1. Version 1.4 will bring a bunch of new content with it, but that update doesn't have a release date yet.
Heads up SBR fans, there will be a small maintenance patch ( v1.3.1) tomorrow when you load the game. Don't worry, v1.4 is still on its way! pic.twitter.com/f2E5ytO1oa— Konami (@Konami) May 16, 2017
Looks like Konami is doing some tidying up with the game. No details on just what's being fixed, but it seems to be in preparation for version 1.4.
Super Bomberman R seems to be the boost the franchise needed to reclaim some of its former glory. Last we heard from Nintendo, they confirmed that Konami's title shipped 500k. Now in Konami's fiscal report, the company chimed in to say the game has reached a wide range of customers. Let's hope there's both old and new Bomberman fans alike still having fun with the game, and eager to see where things go next.
The following info comes from Noriaki Okamura, producer of the game...
- believes Switch is very compatible with the series
- likes Switch because it has a straightforward composition and it’s easy to make games for
- liked that the Switch came with two controllers
- being able to play anytime, anywhere, and with anyone is an important aspect
- Bomberman has 8 siblings in this game because Konami intended to include eight-player versus from the star
- at first they thought of a Power Rangers-like setting to explain the characters
- instead, they went with a “weird heroes of justice who think they’re protecting the peace in the universe” setting
- Okamura would like to see an anime adaptation, but says that can only happen with fan requests
- graphics are made in a photorealistic style to draw inspiration from the Super Bomberman games on the SNES
- rather than a straight port, Okamura thought of adding “adjustments for memories” without changing the core gameplay
- maps becoming 3D and having 8 characters are also for the same purpose
- the dev team went in knowing some things had to change, while others couldn't be
- the goal was to match “the precious Bomberman” in everyone’s hearts with the current era
- Okamura believes this Bomberman game can be played anytime and anywhere, using Switch’s abilities
- most of the regular items from Super Bomberman were added
- some were removed due to not being compatible with the 3D maps
- by making the maps in 3D, they were able to create stages that have new ways to play unlike anything before
- this idea wasn’t warmly received by past Bomberman players, so they had to readjust it
- if you could jump, it would no longer be a Super Bomberman game, which is why a jump feature was left out
- for the flow of story mode, the team first thought about how you would be playing it
- then they tackled the characteristics of each planet / world, and finally the setting for each
- the final boss mechs at the end of each world were also decided with the same flow
- for the one that looks like Gwinbee, someone in the production team had very fond memories of Twinbee
- no direct connections to past Bomberman entries because there is a major change in the world setting
- story is based on Super Bomberman 3, since there are Bagura and the Five Dastardly Bombers
- Okamura remembered some level structures at the start of development such as a complex level with numerous floors
- there was another one where the whole structure would change when a bomb exploded
- they decided to remove these stage ideas as to keep things from being too complicated
- Okamura believes Bomberman is a highly complete game that can be enjoyed by friends and family of any age/skill
- there have been almost 100 Bomberman-related titles
- Okamura is very thankful that many people have enjoyed the various entries
- Okamura hopes that Bomberman can continue not only for thirty years into the future
- Okamura offered advice for those making Super Bomberman R their first Bomberman game
- before defeating rivals with bombs, you should play it while considering how to become the last man standing
- project was one of three scripts by Beijing Starlit Movie and TV Culture approved by China’s film bureau this month
- plot of the film is similar to game
- changes its location to an island in the South China Sea
- adds in extra Chinese characters
“In 1988, a huge meteorite lands on an uninhabited island in the South China Sea. Chen Qiang and Li Zhiyong investigate but come up empty handed. 29 years later, Chen sends commandos Bill and Lance into a combat mission there to neutralize the villainous Red Falcon Organization, but end up facing a different enemy altogether.”
・Four new VS stages have been added to the shop (White Cross, Lagoon, Max Speed, Power Zone).
・Two new series of accessories have been added to the shop (Crowns, Bombs).
・The frame rate of the entire game has been improved. We also made slight adjustments and improved the controls as well.
・Less lags are likelier to happen when every participant in the Online Battle have good network connection.
(If you want to find opponents with good connection, set Other > Basic Settings > Network Settings to the very left.)
・Made it possible to press L/R to change the inclination of he map in the Story Mode. Other > Basing Settings will also allow you to fix the camera position as well.
・You can now choose the strength of the COM on the Multiplayer Battle Mode.
・The strength of the Five Dastardly Bombers on the Story Mode have been adjusted.
・The difficulties of Beginner and Normal have been reduced, making it easier to beat them.
・Adjusted the heights and slopes on some maps to improve the visibility.
・If you continue a certain number of times in the Story Mode, you will be able to continue without paying anymore gems.
・Changed the BP (Battle Point) increase/decrease rate for the League Battle.
・Fixed other various small bugs.