View Single Comment
I really liked the game. So happy to have a proper 2D Metroid again, for the first time is almost three hundred years, I believe.
Looking at this game, though, here are things I'd love to see things handled in a new 2D Metroid for Switch, if the same developers makes it. Will spoiler tag it since I will spoil some major finalé things.
- Have more unique ways of finding secrets. For example, have a small, random hatch somewhere that you will realise you need to use the Grapple Beam to pull off, which will cause a Missile Expansion to fall out. Or shoot plasma beams into a random, small power outage on the wall that causes a object in the background to get overcharged, explode, and grant you another expansion. Or have a unique, stationary monster that won't attack, but you can figure out you have to pry it's mouth open with grapple beam, and it'll spew out yet another hidden item. It'll then flee into the background, never to be seen again.
Finding every item in the game in the very samey, blocky manner gets a bit old, and I think some unique, more interesting ways to find items would make the game so much more fun.
- I realise that recolors and such are used either to save time, or because there simply is not time at all to make new ones, but please, focus a lot on making enemy variety huge. It's the worst thing about Samus Returns, and Breath of The Wild as well, of how few enemies there really are. I am fine with certain enemies being reused a bit. If you have Space Pirates, sure, make lots of variations, since that fits for them. But for example, those Bat Monsters, have, like, some at the beginning area. And then some super stronk versions at the end of the game, and have a third one that is, like, weak but very fast, hidden in a small secret area. I really like rare enemies. Makes the rooms you find them in very interesting. Hell, there are multiple enemies in Super Metroid that only exists in one room. I love that.
- Keep down the 'Samus is a beast' stuffs overall. I love to build Samus up from weak to stronk, but things like the Screw Attack and Super Bombs always makes her so OP, so those two I think should skip out from the next title. Also, make Ammo more important. It's so easy to always have Max Missiles in Samus Returns. I never ran out of anything since everything gives you so much stuff. I know some hates having to go find ammo and health, but I like that, that you have to prepare yourself with a little work rather than just going to one of the loads of Full-Charge stations. Do not overdo it like the original Metroid, but make it so that you do not always have full ammo.
- New Items. I did not care that much for the Aeon Abilities, as I felt they made things so easy, so I rarely used them. If they stick, that is fine, as long as I am not required to become super OP all the time. But I want more new normal items as well. A new beam, a new type of Ball Ability, etc.
Maybe Magnet Boots, that gives you the ability to walk on the ceiling on a special type of Material.
Or Seeking Missiles, sorta like in Prime, that simply targets the closest enemy.
Or maybe the ability to turn into Zero Suit at will for things that would require it, though not sure what that would be.
Or a suit upgrade that makes you able to be in dark areas more easily. Makes you glow in the dark.
- Play around with the backgrounds and such more. Like, have a hole/pile that goes into the background, and you move to a room that lies sorta behind that room. Same with going into the foreground.
- Also, more unique enviroment. Have a area with dirty water that makes it almost impossible to see. Would make for a cool place with scary water enemies you can barely make out. Same with darkness. Imagine a completely pitch-black room where the gorgeous HD light effects from Samus' suit and other sources would look nice. Have a tight cave area where spires and such from the foreground slightly blocks the plain Samus is on, to make a really clostrofobic feel. You can even have a very windy area that causes your Missiles to stray off course. So much potentional.
- Some unique sequences. The Diggernaught Chase Sequence is awesome, and I want more unique moments. Example: you infiltrate a landed Space Pirate Ship with Morph Ball. Once you get it, before you unmorph, a pirate sees and shoots you with a special net that keeps you in Ball form. You have to work your way through the ship only as morph ball to find a way to get out of it.
Or, Samus gets stuck in some sort of trap and loads of enemies charges you from every direction, and you have to shoot them all before they get to her.
Or, maybe Samus can hack a Space Pirate vehicle/machine and control it for a bit to Bomb some Pirate booties.
Or, suddenly, something severely damages Samus' arm cannon so that it doesn't work at all, and you have to get to a special Chozo place to repair it, maybe giving you a brand new Beam to replace what you lost.
That got veeeery long, I doubt anyone will read it all, but I got to share some of my ideas at least. I hope that is fine, I am very excited for a new 2D Metroid, Samus Returns is awesome, and I think Mercury Steam can make a wonderful brand new title. ^^