- total hardware sales jumped 91% year-over-year to $485 million
- software increased 5% to $612 million
- overall the industry jumped up 24% to $1.36 billion
NPD analyst Sam Naji:
"March 2017 will go down in history books as the month Nintendo broke records.The Nintendo Switch had the biggest hardware launch for a Nintendo platform and the second biggest launch for any video game platform since 1995, the time NPD began tracking this category.
In this debut month (month 1), the Nintendo Switch sold 31K more units than previous best-selling Nintendo month-1 platform, the Game Boy Advanced, which released back in June 2001. The two Nintendo Switch SKUs, the 32GB Gray Joy-Con, followed by the 32GB Neon Red/Blue Joy-Con, were the best-selling systems for the month."
- total Zelda franchise sales from 1995 to the present comes in at $1.4 billion
- Zelda is the top-selling property of all time within the Adventure super genre, selling 54 percent more revenue than the next best-selling franchise, Resident Evil
- Breath of the Wild sold over 900,000 physical units, bumping the Zelda franchise total even higher
- Switch's packaged software sold 1.3m units, a record high for a Nintendo platform launch.
- 1-2 Switch had an attach rate of 19 percent