Looks like Nintendo might not be done with the world of 3D just yet. Nintendo's most notable efforts in 3D gaming comes from the 3DS, but a recent patent from Nintendo shows that Nintendo has some ideas for moving that experience over to traditional TVs.
- application is for “Eye Tracking Enabled 3D Viewing”
- has the goal of providing a device that can see where users are looking in order to deliver the optimal 3D viewing angle
- this is a continuation of another patent application dating as far back as 2010
- instead of using a specialized 3D display or glasses, this uses an eye-tracking device on top of a conventional display
- in order to improve the tracking capabilities of the camera, users can wear a marker on their head
- "viewpoint movement detection can provide collision-related game benefits such as allowing a player to dodge projectiles"
- can also give a game character an ability to ‘see’ the player when not behind line-of-sight obstacles