I haven't purchased anything on eBay in a very, very long time. The site kind of scares me, and I'm always worried that I'll get scammed. I'm clearly in the minority though, as millions of people use the site every single day. Now we know that many of those customers are using the auction site to snatch up Pokemon cards.
According to data from eBay itself, over 500k Pokemon cards were sold in 2019, which stemmed from 19 million searches for the phrase 'Pokemon.' eBay also revealed the top five most expensive cards, with data based on sales from January 2016 to February 2020 .
1. Pokémon Ultimate Charizard Collection, PSA10/9, 1st Edition - $18,500
2. 2005 Japanese Umbreon Play Promo Gold Star Holo, PSA10 Gem Mint - $15,000
3. 1st Edition Shadowless Charizard, PSA9/10 - $14,500
4. 1999 Pokémon Game 1st Edition Holographic Charizard [4/102] - $14,000
5. Pokémon Japanese 20th Anniversary 24k Gold Pikachu Promo Card Giza Tanaka - $12,500
Finally, eBay shared a few random tidbits on Pokemon. When it comes to character popularity, we have Pikachu at the top, followed by Charizard, Eevee, Mewtwo, and Snorlax. As for the video games, Pokémon Sun and Moon remain the most purchased Pokémon games on the site since 2016. Lastly, the highest successful auction for a Pokemon card on eBay brought in an astonishing $195,000.