All we've had to go on with the Mortal Kombat movie is behind-the-scenes pics and a logo. Finally that changes, as Entertainment Weekly has a new feature on the film, and it includes a number of pictures straight from the R-rated adaptation. You can check out all the pictures here.
Along with that, the article includes some new details on the film. You can read a recap of that info below.
- the kunai blade, the weapon of Scorpion, is important to the film
- the kunai is actually an ancient Japanese gardening tool, and early in the movie you'll see Scorpion's wife use it as one
- the story focues on the blood feud between the clans of Scorpion and Sub-Zero
- the 10-minute opening sequence kicks off in feudal Japan, long before Scorpion and Sub-Zero join the tournament
- Scorpion is the leader of a ninja clan, but is also a peaceful family man
- new character Cole Young is a washed-up MMA fighter who used to be a champion
- Cole knows nothing of his heritage aside from the birthmark on his chest that's in the shape of the Mortal Kombat symbol
- Shang Tsung sends Sub-Zero to hunt Cole down
- Jax is a special forces major who bears the same mark as Cole
- Jax tells Cole to seek out Sonya Blade, who then takes him to meet Raiden
- Raiden grants sanctuary at his temple to anyone who has the mark Cole has
- Cole will meet Liu Kang, Kung Lao, and Kano at the temple
- Mileena will also make an appearance
- the film will have Fatalities, including some of the iconic ones from the series