Burlingame, Calif. – September 16, 2019 – Following a captivating stage show reveal at the 2019 Tokyo Game Show (TGS 2019), KOEI TECMO America and developer GUST Studios are excited to deliver further details for their upcoming, highly-anticipated magical JRPG, FAIRY TAIL.
FAIRY TAIL, based on Hiro Mashima’s best-selling manga and anime series of the same name, follows the spell-binding plot from “The Grand Magic Games” story arc -- enabling gamers to re-live, or experience for the first time, the exciting episodes of this fan-favorite storyline. Not only will they be able to experience stories previously told in the manga and anime, but they will even be able to enjoy never before seen story and quest elements.
Throughout their journey, players will be able to form a party from a selection of over ten iconic characters, including: the fire dragon slayer, Natsu Dragneel; the celestial mage, Lucy Heartfilia; the ice-make mage, Gray Fullbuster; the fairy queen ‘Titania’, Erza Scarlet; and the young sky dragon slayer, Wendy Marvell. With a wealth of guild members to recruit to their party, players can form their own dream team – even including an unlikely group of allies for their own unique adventure.
The fiery and intense magical battles from the series are breathtakingly brought to life in FAIRY TAIL’s environment; with a diverse range of magic available for the extraordinary characters to wield. Renowned moves from the series light up the screen, with some characters such as Natsu being able to take advantage of mode changes – like utilizing the eye-popping Lightning Fire Dragon Mode. In addition, some guild members will be available to support in battle; including the Fairy Tail Guild Master, Makarov Dreyar, who can be called in to provide powerful aid on the battlefield.
In FAIRY TAIL, completing battles and quests will not only level up party members, it will lead to character bonding scenarios, provide options to upgrade the guild, and eventually raise the ‘Guild Rank’ – enabling players to take on more challenging missions in their quest to become the greatest guild in Fiore.
FAIRY TAIL will be available in 2020 on Nintendo Switch™, PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, and Windows PC via Steam®. To keep up to date with the latest news on FAIRY TAIL, visit the KOEI TECMO America site at http://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/fairytail, like us on Facebook @KoeiTecmoUS, and follow us on Twitter @KoeiTecmoUS.
Following the Fairy Tale stage show that Koei Tecmo hosted at TGS 2019, a round of new details about the game surfaced. Check out a summary of Koei Tecmo's official press release below.
Experience an exciting story!
A dream gathering of popular mages!
There are more than 10 unique playable characters. Five have been announced thus far: Wendy Marvell, Lucy Heartfilia, Natsu Dragneel, Gray Fullbuster, and Erza Scarlet.
Build up your “Guild” with your allies!
The Guild is your base. It is located in Magnolia Town, which has been reproduced in the game. Your guild will grow as you adventure to various levels. As it grows you will receive more requests on the Request Board, shops will sell more items, and you will even be able to establish a research laboratory.
Powerful magic battles!
“Mode Changer” can be activated during battle. Support characters can also lend a hand with powerful magic attacks.
Along with that info, another round of details came from various interviews with the dev team. You can read a summary of those tidbits below.
- the game flow is based on the Guild, which is an important part of the original manga
- the game cycle is: receive a request at the Guild, clear the request (monster subjugation, exploration, etc.)
- your Guild grows as a result
- the game uses a symbol encounter system for battles
- when you run into an enemy on the field, you will enter a turn-based command input battle scene
- like the player’s party, enemies also have a certain formation
- you will have to think about the attributes and effect range of your magic
- MP is required to use magic, but there is a system in place that restores MP upon defeating an enemy
- by meeting certain conditions, you can also use powerful, cooperative magic attacks.
- the Hades battle at the climax of the Tenrou Island arc is the prologue of the game
- the game starts after the Guild collapses and reconstruction efforts begin with everyone’s help
- the Grand Magic Games arc that occurs halfway into the original work will be the first half of the game’s story.
- the main story runs along that of the anime, but there will be stuff to do after the ending
- original episodes are being prepared
- original stories such as episodes and requests for each character will be scattered to not disrupt the flow of the story
- there is a world map that connects Magnolia Town and the fields
- you’ll be able to visit several towns
- Fairy Tail creator Hiro Mashima is supervising the graphics when it comes to character appearance
- he is also providing advice in terms of game content
- development is about 50 percent complete.
- more information is due out via a web broadcast in October
Koei Tecmo's recently revealed Fairy Tail game has a rundown in this week's Famitsu, which reveals that the game uses a command-based battle system. You'll be able to put together a party featuring various characters from the Fairy Tail series.
Story-wise, players will experience the story focused on the middle arc of the original manga.