Howdy Backers! We’ve got some special news for you today – a first look at our next major Half-Genie Hero expansion, “Friends to the End”! Up until now, we’ve referred to this one as simply “friends mode”: the stretch goal that adds Sky, Bolo, and Rottytops as playable heroes. Today we’re ready to pull back the curtain and show off this awesome new addition!
The Missing Piece of the Story!
Friends to the End takes place chronologically in the middle of Shantae’s storyline. Unlike the (possibly embellished) tale of Pirate Queen’s Quest, this new mode would be considered “official cannon”, and fills in a part of the narrative that we, as the audience, were previously not witness to.
The Mummy didn't do much traffic at the box office, but somehow there's a game tie-in from the devs at WayForward. Is this a movie-licensed game that manages to buck the low-quality trend?
A powerful ancient evil has arisen, and the war to save humanity has begun! The Mummy Demastered throws you into a 16-bit-inspired battle against the undead in a 2D, nonlinear, action-packed adventure. As an elite agent in the monster-hunting Prodigium organization, you must use a variety of weapons, upgrades, and mysterious artifacts to defend mankind against the supernatural hordes of Princess Ahmanet. Your Prodigium unit is already on the scene, but HQ lost contact with them hours ago. Only by exploring tombs, forests, abandoned tunnels, and the cursed streets of London will you discover the fate of your allies. But beware - Ahmanet commands legions of undead, insects, plague-ridden vermin, and worse! If you're not careful, you'll be the next soul in her army.
If you're wondering what The Mummy Demastered is like, you can check out our video review. We'll be making a more official post about it later today, but feel free to sneak over to our channel and have a watch now!
- due out this Fall
- Universal really favored the pixel-art approach and wanted WayForward to be the studio to make it
- play as an anonymous agent for the Prodigium
- the Prodigium is a paramilitary organization for the Dark Universe franchise The Mummy kicked off
- Prodigium is going to be a unifying element through all the films
- in the game they go head to head with the monsters under Ahmanet’s control
- when you fall in battle, Prodigium sends another generic agent to replace the lost fighter
- your fallen comrade becomes corrupted by Ahmanet and joins the armies of the undead
- the undead version of your last character has all the skills/items you had, making them a challenge to take out
- you can carry two additional weapons at a time
- if you beat the undead version of your previous character, you can recollect your items
- uses a Halo-inspired arms system that allows you to carry a limited selection of the weapons and subweapons
- in order to swap weapons, you need to find one of the arms depots scattered around the map and change your loadou
- the undead agents are the most challenging enemy in the game
- the undead agents were originally much stronger, but WayForward toned things down a bit
- the only actor to appear in-game is the pixel sprite of Sofia Boutella’s Princess Ahmanet
- you can get 100-point health upgrades and secondary weapons that can blast through armored doors
- the game starts off in the moonlight-soaked Gothic architecture of London
- pathways to several subterranean areas open once you beat the first boss, a giant spider
- fight off ravens, bats, skeletons and more
- enemies move much like they do in Castlevania
- ravens rise from their perch as you draw near, then swoop down to attack
- skeletons toss bones in a looping arc
- bats flutter back and forth while spitting fireballs
- the team played lots of Metroid/Super Metroid/Castlevania for inspiration, and to see what works and what could be tweaked