Its been quite some time since we saw a new installment in the Metal Slug series, but it sounds like SNK is very slowly moving towards a revival. In an interview with Twinfinite, SNK's Yasuyuki Oda opened up about where discussions on the franchise are right now.
Nothing is decided at the moment, nothing has actually been started, but we’re definitely in the phase where we started talking about “let’s bring it back. We want to bring it back.” The fans want it. On whether we’d do the one-hit kill, there are still a lot of discussions about that, but I like the idea of maybe bringing two modes, perhaps with an easy mode with a life gauge. But there is still a lot of discussion going on internally about that. We want to make sure we do it right.
We've got a double-dose of good news about SNK today. First up, SNK Corporation chairman Ge Zhihui has confirmed that SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy has managed to sell over 300k units. It looks like this one was a slow-but-steady seller, as 300k is nothing to sneeze at!
Second, and possibly more important, Zhihui has confirmed that a new Metal Slug game is in the works. This is a title for consoles, and not the mobile game that was discussed recently. No specific platforms were mentioned, but I'll be keeping all fingers/toes crossed for a Switch version.
Looking for a bit more insight into Samurai Shodown? The video above features Game Designer Josh Weatherford, Game and Art Director Nobuyuki Kuroki, and Producer Yasuyuki Oda, as they all talk about what's old and new in Samurai Shodown. You can get a quick rundown of the details below.
- it was one of the most requested IPs from the fans
- it's also one of their most iconic IPs, and it was time for it to come back
- this new entry is still faithful to the older games
- devs tried to imagine what fans wanted to see when it came to characters
- rage explosion/mechanic returns
- lightning blade attacks return
- each character has one super special move
We knew that Samurai Shodown was going to hit Switch in Q4 2019, but today SNK has been a bit more specific about release plans. While PS4/XB1 get the game in June, Switch and PC will have to wait until WInter 2019. Hopefully we get a more specific release date in the near future.
Along with release talk, SNK shared a bunch of other details about the game. Check out a summary of the new info below.
- available both physically and digitally for 7,200 yen
- digital Deluxe Pack including a Season Pass for 9,000 yen
- Season Pas includes four additional characters
- these characters can be purchased separately as well
- early purchase of the Standard Edition / Deluxe Pack gets you a “Retro 3D: Haohmaru” downloadable costume
- early purchase of the Deluxe Pack / Season Pass Bonus gets you a “Retro 3D: Nakoruru” downloadable costume
- the SNK Online Shop will sell a 30,000 yen exclusive limited edition
- this limited edition includes a NeoGeo rom casette-style case, art book, and an original picture illustrated by Yumi Saji
- 13 returning characters are Charlotte, Earthquake, Galford, Genjuro, Hanzo, Haohmaru, Jubei, Kyoshiro, Nakoruru, Shiki, Tam Tam, Ukyo, and Yoshitora
Final 3 new characters detailed
Darli Dagger (voiced by Yuu Kobayashi)
A shipwright who has mastered the use of various tools. She washed ashore an island at an early age, where she was taught the power of crafting by carpenters, and how to protect herself and survive by pirates. She is currently building a ship said to be unsinkable with her comrades at the island’s workshop.
Wu-Ruixiang (voiced by Seira Ryuu)
A descendant of an ancient and honorable feng shui clan, Wu-Ruixiang is a woman who serves the Qing dynasty. With a mission is to protect generations of long mai, she travels to various places under the emperor’s command. She is wise, but extremely clumsy. She also dreads exercise as she tends to seclude herself indoors. Her secret art manifests the power of a divine beast, calling forth a dragon.
Yashamaru Kurama (voiced by Kouhei Amasaki)
A young, fallen samurai. He hates villains who exploit wealth from the weak, and moves in the shadows as the chivalrous thief known as the “Karasu Tengu (Crow-Billed Goblin).” In the past, his father was executed on false charges, and his hatred for the Shogunate is deeper than anyone other. He fights wielding his memento nagamaki sword, and uses the power of the tengu (long-nosed goblin) passed down for generations.
I guess we won't have to wait long to see the complete roster for Samurai Shodown! SNK will be hosting a live-stream presentation on April 5th, 2019, which will air on YouTube and Twitch at 11:00 JST. There are actually only two characters left to reveal, as we know the silhouette on the left to be Darli Dagge.
Once again set in the late 18th century, after the events of Samurai Shodown V and prior to the events of the original game, Samurai Shodown will see the return of thirteen classic characters, including Haohmaru, Earthquake and Galford, who will be joined by three brand new characters to the series. Additional characters will also be available via post-launch DLC.
This week's issue of Famitsu has a big rundown of voice actors who are handling the playable character roles in Samurai Shodown. While not all voice actors are revealed, we do get info on 13 of the 16 playable characters.
- Haohmaru (voiced by Daiki Nakamura)
- Nakoruru (voiced by Mai Nakahara)
- Hanzo Hattori (voiced by Tadahisa Saizen)
- Galford (voiced by Wataru Komada)
- Ukyo Tachibana (voiced by Shinjiro Sakurai)
- Jubei Yagyu (voiced by Hiroshi Naka)
- Earthquake (voiced by Kentarou Tone)
- Charlotte (voiced by Afumi Hashi)
- Genjuro Kibagami (voiced by Kong Kuwata)
- Kyoshiro Senryo (voiced by Monster Maezuka)
- Tam Tam (voiced by Ryousuke Morita)
- Yoshitora Tokugawa (voiced by Makoto Furukawa)
- Shiki (voiced by Chitose Morinaga)
SNK blew the lid off Samurai Shodown's return yesterday, and now they're already pumping up the next event. If you want another look at the upcoming fighter, make sure to mark your calendars for 11am on 5th April, 2019 (JST). SNK will be hosting a live-stream event to give a much better look at the game, and also to share some new details.
SNK is set to release a boatload of music tracks from their various games, and the first album is on its way. SNK Arcade Sound Digital Collection Vol. 1 features tracks from Prehistoric Isle in 1930, Bermuda Triangle, Chopper I, Mechanized Attack, Beast Busters, and more. The 2-disc album launches in Japan on April 24th, 2019 in Japan, and is priced at 3,200 yen.